Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

That seems like some pretty nice tech but the one advantage that Google Maps always had IMO is Street View. If Apple ever released their own Maps app, this is a necessity. All of these maps services all use the data from services like Navteq.

I agree that Street View is a significant advantage. AFAIK, it is google IP (or data), so I doubt that Apple could provide it with an Apple Navigation app.

However, since Apple already some arrangement that allows them to use Street View in the Maps app...

I wonder if Apple could (for the near term) provide a Navigation App then (multitask or overlay) access the Maps app for street view, when needed.

I really don't think you would use street view during normal TBT navigation, rather at various points (stops) along the way.

• Reply 82 of 95
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Google Maps as-is is 90% there for me already. I have my iPhone sat in a cradle connected to a Parrot hands-free kit and my nice amp and speakers. If I get lost I just hit 'directions' in google maps and map from 'current location' to my target.

The only downside is that the next turn ahead is sometimes off the map if I'm going quite fast, but I find the iPhone's built-in GPS keeps up perfectly at 75mph.

And the hybrid satellite images are great fun too on the move.

Seems to me all they need is a bit of map caching and text-to-speech in the exisitng maps app and they are done.

If I could recommend a cool feature, I'd have google read my iCal, and pre-cache the route to my next location.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Don't be too worried if it doesn't take your regular route, I've tested it around town and it rarely chooses routes I'd pick. (But then again, my 1 year old Garmin doesn't either.) I suppose what matters is whether it gets you there without too much trouble.

I'd suppose if you enter your trip into MapQuest's website, you'll see a route close to what the app gives you.

I'm on a business trip next week, I'm going to test my theories first hand, leaving the dedicated GPS at home.

Have you tried Wave? I loaded that too after a tip on this thread, it seems very clever.

My Garmin is almost guaranteed to take the wrong route. It even tried to make us turn off interstates in the middle of nowhere driving back from upstate NY to FL last year. I am talking about way in the middle of nowhere. "Turn left" she kept saying. We glanced at the off ramp and miles of moors and mountains and a small side road leading to god knows where, and it was getting dark. At that point I strangled her and we turned to Google maps on the iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree that Street View is a significant advantage. AFAIK, it is google IP (or data), so I doubt that Apple could provide it with an Apple Navigation app.

However, since Apple already some arrangement that allows them to use Street View in the Maps app...

I wonder if Apple could (for the near term) provide a Navigation App then (multitask or overlay) access the Maps app for street view, when needed.

I really don't think you would use street view during normal TBT navigation, rather at various points (stops) along the way.

I agree with the last paragraph but I'm not sure if Google would allow for a portion of the Maps app (Street View) to be used in conjunction with Apple's own Nav app. I'm also not sure if Google holds any IP over the technique used in Street View. For the most part it's just taking pictures of a particular area. As it is, surprsingly, Google holds very few patents.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Just saw the post from PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19485...yturn_gps.html

I guess the war continues?

Well, yes and no. There's no reason why Apple wouldn't approve this, as far as I can see, particularly for its new iteration, with the ability to keep this functioning in the background, presumably, so you could use it while streaming Pandora, I guess. However, one of the reasons to prefer TomTom is the mount they make for the car; they improve the results from the GPS, making it much more reliable that the 3G or 3GS model, and it plays the sound through the car radio, etc. So as an actual replacement for the Car GPS, I'd still take the Tom Tom -- though it remains to be seen what the 4G will have done to the GPS.

The Google Voice functionality is available as HTML 5. Go to voice.google.com for your account, then visit it with mobile Safari. I think what Apple objected to was that the Voice app mucked around with contacts and replaced the missed calls and messages with their own stuff. You know Steve wouldn't like that.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

You're kidding right?

How can you be compliance with something that is never made clear?

- Google Latitude free locator APP rejected .. Duplicated iPhones built in functionality!! REJECTED!

- AT&T $15,00 PER MONTH FamilyMaps .. __APPROVED__ (this was released WELL AFTER Google Latitude was given the AXE)

- Google Voice !!BAD!! Duplicates iPhones built in functionality!! REJECTED!

- Opera Web Browser ... __APPROVED__

- Political Cartoons !!BAD!! Repulsive, REJECTED!

- Exact same political cartoons right after the artist is awarded a Pulitzer Prize __APPROVED__

Sickening!

Now, if you wanna try justify these clearly conflicting APP Store admission results I'd love to hear them.

Google Latitude is damn near useless on iPhone since it can't run in the background. Apple recommended developing a web app since Safari has 8 tabs and sees the most usage. Therefore, location can be updated when launching Safari. A local app when have to be launched constantly to update location. In safari, the multiple tabs sorta provide a poor man's multitasking. The AT&T location service doesn't run in the background. AT&T's automatically has location data from towers, and this can be shared with apps running on a cloud server such as Loopt.

Latitude is just a ploy by Google to collect personal data and location information so it can enhance its algorithm. Google Voice is another avenue for harvesting personal info, and Apple isn't 100% in love with Google's data mining due to privacy concerns.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Haha, I was married to an Italian ... tell me about it!

.... 'unique' bunch aren't we?
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah! It'll be when he sets up the SJ Foundation and it outperforms the B&M Gates Foundation!

Unless another Warren shows up looking to give $30 odd billion to the SJ Foundation it might be quite some time... Hmm, if Melinda ever gets sick of Billy and divorces his ass maybe she'll 'gift' to a future SJF... Wouldn't that be a kick.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Latitude is just a ploy by Google to collect personal data and location information so it can enhance its algorithm. Google Voice is another avenue for harvesting personal info, and Apple isn't 100% in love with Google's data mining due to privacy concerns.

And somehow you think only the evil Google is data mining and trampling on everyones personal privacy?
  • Reply 90 of 95
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:

Google Latitude is damn near useless on iPhone since it can't run in the background. Apple recommended developing a web app since Safari has 8 tabs and sees the most usage. Therefore, location can be updated when launching Safari. A local app when have to be launched constantly to update location. In safari, the multiple tabs sorta provide a poor man's multitasking. The AT&T location service doesn't run in the background. AT&T's automatically has location data from towers, and this can be shared with apps running on a cloud server such as Loopt.

I agree. It's not that Google is EVIL, just that they're a large company that gives away a ton of software. Why? So they can collect data from everyone who uses it, and sell it to advertisers. So instead of the "free, open" paradise, it's just down there making money off you behind your back. You pay for those 'free' apps.

You're right about Latitude, but it's the same business with a lot of these "social media" apps. Facebook is revolting, the way they sell you and your friends to dating services and ads tailored to their increasingly opaque privacy.

I do appreciate Google voice, which works perfectly well on the iPhone in HTML 5.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Waze isn't bad, but the built-in Maps update to turn-by-turn is LONG overdue for an update! I expected it by now...
  • Reply 92 of 95
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

... In safari, the multiple tabs sorta provide a poor man's multitasking...

I have a Latitude icon to launch Safari, but it's annoying because the Safari page is often very slow to update.

I'd like to know if the new multi-tasking services would allow Latitude to run constantly in the background. From what I've heard you wouldn't really know if it was running - it sounds like the OS shuts down inactive apps when it needs to. So you'd still be launching periodically if you wanted to ensure it was up.

It's one of a couple things I like about Blackberry, Latitude is always running.

btw - are you the real Turley Muller ??
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Actually, I am not sure if anyone of you might have noticed, but Google has been getting a bit nasty with the results they provide on iPhone. I asked for a direction on Maps on iPhone and it gave me a direction that would take me longer to get there. I used Google Maps on PC and it gave me different, but a preferred direction. It felt like Google was trying to sabotage Apple iPhone. This is not the first time. While back it basically flat out game me a wrong direction and it wasn't as if the destination I was going to was new.

This goes back to what how Google was giving preferential treatment on their search results. I do have respect for Google, but why does it feel like they are slowly becoming this "Evil" empire that we all thought of this company in state of Washington.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd like to know if the new multi-tasking services would allow Latitude to run constantly in the background. From what I've heard you wouldn't really know if it was running - it sounds like the OS shuts down inactive apps when it needs to. So you'd still be launching periodically if you wanted to ensure it was up.

It's one of a couple things I like about Blackberry, Latitude is always running.

Why would anyone want to be always tracked by GPS

Anyways you are talking about Android's multitasking.

On the Apple iphone OS 4.0, the GPS service will act like a server providing your location to the applications requesting it. Those "multitasking" threads are like really thin clients in the background waking up to receive data when necessary, then send it to a server or processing it locally. It doesn't need to be killed, because it's really using very little resource, it's more likely you will run out of battery because of the GPS first.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    moonraymoonray Posts: 4member
    I'm very interested in your experience with ads in m-apps as I'm conducting a research on mobile ads as part of a Master in marketing.

You can participate here: http://bit.ly/a0NFvM (it's a simple Google Docs questionnaire).

There are only 12 basic questions, and a nice summary of the responses!

Thanks for your time!