RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's surprising that they titled this "All New User Experience"...

I like that their "All New User Experience" is the old iPhone and Android User Experience. If that is the case I have a NEW car from 1996 they can buy.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Not bad, but the other half of the question what will this OS run on? Blackberries aren't exactly powerful beasts in processing specs.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    look I can vomit with a touch screen! And search my data like Apple does!
  • Reply 64 of 76
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    Not only is this commercial worse then Microsoft's commercials with Jerry Seinfeld, but they chose a track that actually says "I'm so 2008".

That is so appropriate, considering the iPhone and it's multi-touch was released in 2007. Correct?
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Funny to me how these companies keep making these "cool and hip" ads with generic pop Hip-Hop thinking that's all "the youth" care about and they'll rush to buy their product. They make these ads that don't show the benefits of the phone. ALL good smart-phones play music, have Facebook, email, contacts, video -- so what, no one cares. The iPhone ads succeed, because they show actually what a person can do with it and how they can use it in every day life beyond music, Fb, making things scroll and video. The iPhone ads make people think, "hey... that's cool, I could use that app - that would help me." BB, Sprint, Verizon don't really get it.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    msavinmsavin Posts: 5member
    I like how they avoided showing scrolling on this thing
  • Reply 67 of 76
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The chick is hot, the business guy has image problems and the college kid is visiting his high school. Yea I had a fun time watching the ad. That aside it looks like the business people won't have to switch fruits, and can still drink the blackberry koolaid.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

Too funny, one of the lines in the song is "I'm so 2008!"

LOL LOL LOL oh man..

Is actually 3008 because the song came out in 09 I think, and they could not thyme 2009 in there. Anywho still funny.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

RIM has touted the operating system upgrade as an "all-new user experience." The company had already announced on Monday that BlackBerry 6 would be available in the third quarter of calendar 2010, but did not include any details on the software.

Yup - we created an iPhone OS skin and it is amazing. A totally new use experience... if you ignore the iPhone user experience, that is.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also revealed that there are 41 million BlackBerry users, and 90 million BlackBerrys have been sold to date. Co-CEO Mike Lazardis said he expects his company to reach the 100 million milestone soon.

Anyone think that this is interesting? For all the market share rubbish posted about RIM outselling iPhone, the fact that they have only 41M live users vs. a likely much higher proportion of iOS users out of the 85M+ iOS devices sold says a lot about market power. Apart from broken items, I don't know of any owner of an original iPhone/iTouch who hasn't passed it down to someone else (parent, kid, etc.)

I would bet that over 75% of all iOS devices ever sold are probably still in use since 30% of iPhone 1G are still in use per the AdMob data today (and that is 30% of only a few million pre-3G models). Apple and RIM will both pass 100million devices at about the same time, (though Apple has done it in half the time) but Apple has vastly more market power in terms of active users, average spend/profit per device, average app purchase spend, quality/breadth of app store, etc.

RIM is trying to milk the captive business users while trying to scramble to competitiveness in the consumer market (where music, FaceBook, Twitter etc. really matter). I don't see it working against the myriad of Android devices, the elegant and extensive iPhone walled garden or the deep pockets of WinMob7. As BES is exposed for the klugey legacy mess it is and cheap, native Exchange integration takes over, RIM will sink like Palm. Just my 2c.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Anyone think that this is interesting? For all the market share rubbish posted about RIM outselling iPhone, the fact that they have only 41M live users vs. a likely much higher proportion of iOS users out of the 85M+ iOS devices sold says a lot about market power. Apart from broken items, I don't know of any owner of an original iPhone/iTouch who hasn't passed it down to someone else (parent, kid, etc.)

I would bet that over 75% of all iOS devices ever sold are probably still in use since 30% of iPhone 1G are still in use per the AdMob data today (and that is 30% of only a few million pre-3G models). Apple and RIM will both pass 100million devices at about the same time, (though Apple has done it in half the time) but Apple has vastly more market power in terms of active users, average spend/profit per device, average app purchase spend, quality/breadth of app store, etc.

RIM is trying to milk the captive business users while trying to scramble to competitiveness in the consumer market (where music, FaceBook, Twitter etc. really matter). I don't see it working against the myriad of Android devices, the elegant and extensive iPhone walled garden or the deep pockets of WinMob7. As BES is exposed for the klugey legacy mess it is and cheap, native Exchange integration takes over, RIM will sink like Palm. Just my 2c.

When did Blackberry OS come about? Was it with the first Blackberry in 1999 that was a glorified pager or was it a proper mobile OS until 2002 with a modern BB phone? I can't find a timeline on the net.

If not next quarter, then the following quarter I'm sure we'll see Apple overtake RiM in the number of units per quarter sales. That is only a phone to phone comparison, not any other iPhone OS device. I wouldn't count the iPad anyway, as it's unique enough that I feel it deserves it's own name, iPad OS. Same Genus different Species.

I have to wonder how many iPhones are just retired because they are "works of art". I know plenty of people that just boxed it up and put it on a shelf when the next model came out. Not sure too many BB users are doing that.

Kudos to RiM but I'm surprised they have been able to increase their revenue YoY. They have to be losing BIS/BES customers or having to lower rates with their advantage in this area becoming obsolete.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have to wonder how many iPhones are just retired because they are "works of art". I know plenty of people that just boxed it up and put it on a shelf when the next model came out. Not sure too many BB users are doing that.

To be honest, when I get an iPhone HD, Mum will get an unlocked 3GS and then I get the 1G back and it becomes "art". That's what's good about keeping it in the family and not giving it to kids who will break/soak it.

I "gave" my PB 12" to a friend who had fallen on hard times. I hope one day to get that back too for the collection but that is a harder request right now. C'mon global economy - sort yourself out!!

PS I also agree that the iPad is a tricky one to count as iOS but its sales are still small beer overall. Let's see how it all shakes out and what Devs think about the 2 platforms a year on...
  • Reply 73 of 76
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Again you Apple heads just don't get it. Blackberry own the business market, and now that their products have the same features as an iPhone, they will own the consumer market. Who would want to buy an iPhone if they can get it all with a Blackberry? Blackberry's are associated with high powered executives and who doesn't want to be seen to be a high powered executive in today's world. Within a year iPhone market share will be back around 5% and RIM's up around 45% and within two years Steve Jobs will be peddling for quarters on the streets of Cupertino.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    I find RIMs timing to be... odd.

Apple has a pending FTC infringement case against HTC for infringing on Apples touch patents, and RIM announces a touch interface that will probably be found to be infringing also.

Bad move RIM.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

Again you Apple heads just don't get it. Blackberry own the business market, and now that their products have the same features as an iPhone, they will own the consumer market. Who would want to buy an iPhone if they can get it all with a Blackberry? Blackberry's are associated with high powered executives and who doesn't want to be seen to be a high powered executive in today's world. Within a year iPhone market share will be back around 5% and RIM's up around 45% and within two years Steve Jobs will be peddling for quarters on the streets of Cupertino.

"Mummy, Mummy, look at that troll, hiding under the pseudonym."

"No sweetheart, it's just someone trying to be funny but failing dismally"

Either way, we'll regroup in 2 years and see what happens...
  • Reply 76 of 76
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

Again you Apple heads just don't get it. Blackberry own the business market, and now that their products have the same features as an iPhone, they will own the consumer market. Who would want to buy an iPhone if they can get it all with a Blackberry? Blackberry's are associated with high powered executives and who doesn't want to be seen to be a high powered executive in today's world*. Within a year iPhone market share will be back around 5% and RIM's up around 45% and within two years Steve Jobs will be peddling for quarters on the streets of Cupertino.

I would have said this could have been written by someone from Jersey Shore, but the grammar and use of correct punctuation is too good.

* "high powered executive" is code word for douche-bag.