Apple begins shipping iPad 3G preorders before Friday's launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etslee View Post

Yah! Just got my delivery notice and tracking number.

Can someone please explain how the ipad is unlocked but internal 3G radio only works with AT&T issue? I'm confused.

Because TMobile uses an unusual frequency. However, it's not the case that it only works with AT&T. It will work with any carrier globally that uses the supported frequencies and has the infrastructure in place to allow iPad 3G data plan signup, which will be most of them. You'll just have to get a micro-sim for a local carrier and sign up. Unlike, for example, most phones, where just putting in a sim isn't enough, because the phone is still locked to a specific carrier.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    ""The iPad ships unlocked and uses GSM micro-SIM cards, but the internal 3G radio is only compatible in the U.S. with the AT&T 3G network."""

What???

That's mean if I bought an 3G iPad in Canada, I will not be able to connect to the ATT network in USA during my vacation?

is that true?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsighi View Post

Nice, you getting the 13" or the 15" MBP. I save $ 1500 and still don't know which one I want. I like the 13" been portable friendly with 10 hours battery but the i5 sound more sweeter...

This may seem odd to many here but I was considering the 15" until the update so I'm going with a 13" MBP again. The 10 hour battery, the much better IGP, the C2D speed bump as well as the other new features for $1,099 (student discount) work for me. If they went with Core-i with an Intel HD IGP I would have gone with a 15" MBP. Adding 1 TB HDD and an 80GB Intel X25 SSD as a boot drive should give me a very nice bump over my current system.

Have you read much about the new MBPs? Their new new switchable graphics has the potential for being the best in class but right now it's just as unintelligent as Nvidia's Optimus. I know it's new and we should expect some hiccups but it's still needs some work. They also need to allow you to turn off the dGPU to conserver battery power. I've looked and looked for a hidden switch. They really seem to have not made that an option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wait a minute, I recall you had already bought iPad, tried it, and returned it?!

Yeah, I did. This is a birthday (from April) and Mother's Day gift. I've honestly never seen her get excited about any piece of technology, except a new car, but she is gaga for the iPad.

I'll sure I'll end up getting another iPad for myself. 3G this time. When I get it depends on the HW breakdown from iFixit (hoping for more RAM) and OS updates it gets (can't stand the Safari page reloads).
  • Reply 24 of 59
    I was notified of shipment this morning at 5:34am. As of now, the iPad was picked up from the Nashville DC with overnight delivery tomorrow before 3pm. W00t!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

""The iPad ships unlocked and uses GSM micro-SIM cards, but the internal 3G radio is only compatible in the U.S. with the AT&T 3G network."""

What???

That's mean if I bought an 3G iPad in Canada, I will not be able to connect to the ATT network in USA during my vacation?

is that true?

No. It means that in the U.S. AT&T has the only compatible 3G network. Outside the U.S. there are many carriers with which it is compatible. And, since it's unlocked, nothing prevents you from simply obtaining a local micro-sim, popping it in, and signing up with and connecting to a carrier in whatever country you happen to be in.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    This just might be the last time I rely on my iPhone to do stuff like this while I'm at the airport. Got my email from Apple this morning for my 3G iPad I preordered in the first hour it was available online ... Should be here by 3pm tomorrow. It's already os San Diego! So excited ... This has been a long three months ...
  • Reply 27 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Ok that site is highly inaccurate. They said Apple has sold over 500,000 iPad when Apple announced they sold something around 350,000 iPads. So I would take that 1 million estimate with a grain of salt.

I emailed that site and told them that the Safari user agent can be altered to make it appear as if itś a iPad accessing the web.

They already adjusted the site to correlate more closely with Apple's figures.

Initially, they only guessed at how many IP addresses each iPad would use. Then, Apple gave them 3 data points (300,000 first day, 450,000 after 5 days, and 500,000 after a week), so they were able to adjust their empirical correction factor to improve the estimate. It's undoubtedly a much better estimate than it was.

Besides, Apple said 500 K were sold in the first week - which was 3 weeks ago. An estimate of 1 M isn't likely to be that far off the mark.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The original WiFi iPad appeared in both stores at the same time. I haven't heard anything to suggest that this one will be any different. Although I don't know if Best Buy can get you the 3G micro-SIM.

I called my local AT&T store to ask. They said that the micro-SIM comes with the unit, so all I have to do is register it online - no need to come to the store. So if you buy a unit at Best Buy, you should be good to go - but I'm relying on what AT&T told me, so don't shoot me if it's wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

What???

is that true?

You would be able to get service with your local provider in Canada. Then, when you come to the US, you will be able to access AT&T via whatever roaming plan you have.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I would rarely, if ever, use my in roaming in another country. Our roaming fees are humongous, so I wait until I have WiFi access.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Hrrrrmmmm, check this out:

------------------

Shipment Dates

Anticipated ship date

Apr 28, 2010

Estimated delivery

Apr 29, 2010 by 3:00 PM

-----------------

Well, I'll find out in a few hours if that's a typo - would be a nice surprise though.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You would be able to get service with your local provider in Canada. Then, when you come to the US, you will be able to access AT&T via whatever roaming plan you have.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I would rarely, if ever, use my in roaming in another country. Our roaming fees are humongous, so I wait until I have WiFi access.

No. When he comes to the U.S., he can just get a micro-sim card from AT&T and use their 3G network for as long as he's here, then, put his original card back in when he gets home. There's never any need for roaming with a 3G iPad... because it's unlocked.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    mine is leaving Nashville, right now and heading to GA.

The 3G radio is configured for AT&T without the need of the sim card, I thought - all other carriers will need the micro card - at least that is what I am reading.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UttenCookie View Post

Hrrrrmmmm, check this out:

------------------

Shipment Dates

Anticipated ship date

Apr 28, 2010

Estimated delivery

Apr 29, 2010 by 3:00 PM

-----------------

Well, I'll find out in a few hours if that's a typo - would be a nice surprise though.

Maybe not a typo: http://bit.ly/aOE8r5
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No. When he comes to the U.S., he can just get a micro-sim card from AT&T and use their 3G network for as long as he's here, then, put his original card back in when he gets home. There's never any need for roaming with a 3G iPad... because it's unlocked.

And any Mini-SIM, the current SIM used in phones across the world, can be cut down to become a Micro-SIM as the connectors are exactly the same across SIMs.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwhenderson View Post

mine is leaving Nashville, right now and heading to GA.

The 3G radio is configured for AT&T without the need of the sim card, I thought - all other carriers will need the micro card - at least that is what I am reading.

The 3G radio isn't configured for AT&T without the need of the sim card! It is more likely that the AT&T micro-SIM will be included with the iPad 3G, same as with the iPhone, and you will have the choice to activate or not.

Outside the USA, networks may be allowed to sell the iPad with their own micro-SIM included in the packaging.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And any Mini-SIM, the current SIM used in phones across the world, can be cut down to become a Micro-SIM as the connectors are exactly the same across SIMs.

You see, this is my question. Will iPhone users be able to swap out their sim card from their iPhone to use in the iPad WITHOUT having to buy a monthly iPad 3G data plan (since you already have the iPhone plan)?

Granted, the current iteration of the iPhone doesn't use a micro card, but the next one will (according to Gizmodo).

For current iPhone users, could you just buy an additional sim card for your iPhone from AT&T and cut it down to size?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

You see, this is my question. Will iPhone users be able to swap out their sim card from their iPhone to use in the iPad WITHOUT having to buy a monthly iPad 3G data plan (since you already have the iPhone plan)?

Granted, the current iteration of the iPhone doesn't use a micro card, but the next one will (according to Gizmodo).

For current iPhone users, could you just buy an additional sim card from AT&T and cut it down to size?

No.

Yes. (According to solipsism).
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser

No.

Yes. (According to solipsism).

I know some countries tie the SIM to the phone's IEMI and are very strict about that. Does AT&T have anything in place right now to prevent SIM switching? I know of heard of others doing it in the past, but I think the iPhone may have changed that after it started using more data than AT&T expected.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Mine showed as prepared for shipment for several days and now just flipped to shipped. Shipping today and here tomorrow, so likely part of a big shipment from China to a distribution center (as was mentioned earlier). My stuff normally comes from China direct, so I was thinking tomorrow was out of the question. Now it looks like Christmas is truly April 30 this year.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Whee!!!

Just got my tracking number.

Mine was picked up at 7:29AM in Rancho Cordova, CA (Sacramento area).

It's on a truck less than 80 miles away with one stop at a distribution center.

It is scheduled for delivery before 3:00 PM tomorrow...

If i get lucky, it could come today!

/kid at Christmas

• Reply 39 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's a good point and should work - if you can buy just the micro-SIM from someone or cut down a SIM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shanghai View Post

Mine showed as prepared for shipment for several days and now just flipped to shipped. Shipping today and here tomorrow, so likely part of a big shipment from China to a distribution center (as was mentioned earlier). My stuff normally comes from China direct, so I was thinking tomorrow was out of the question. Now it looks like Christmas is truly April 30 this year.

While most of my Apple products shipped direct from China, the iPad is apparently different. It's shipping from the US (for most people). Mine is still showing 'documentation received' but not 'picked up at sender' and it's going to be here in less than 24 hours. That wouldn't happen if it were coming from China.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This may seem odd to many here but I was considering the 15" until the update so I'm going with a 13" MBP again. The 10 hour battery, the much better IGP, the C2D speed bump as well as the other new features for $1,099 (student discount) work for me. If they went with Core-i with an Intel HD IGP I would have gone with a 15" MBP. Adding 1 TB HDD and an 80GB Intel X25 SSD as a boot drive should give me a very nice bump over my current system.

Have you read much about the new MBPs? Their new new switchable graphics has the potential for being the best in class but right now it's just as unintelligent as Nvidia's Optimus. I know it's new and we should expect some hiccups but it's still needs some work. They also need to allow you to turn off the dGPU to conserver battery power. I've looked and looked for a hidden switch. They really seem to have not made that an option.

Yeah, I did. This is a birthday (from April) and Mother's Day gift. I've honestly never seen her get excited about any piece of technology, except a new car, but she is gaga for the iPad.

I'll sure I'll end up getting another iPad for myself. 3G this time. When I get it depends on the HW breakdown from iFixit (hoping for more RAM) and OS updates it gets (can't stand the Safari page reloads).

Solipsism-- how old are you? I get the impression from your last few posts that you are quite young. From your prior posts you seem experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of the world.

I am a 70 2/3 year-old kid (I was 40, and in the room, when Steve Jobs said he didn't trust anyone over 30).