Hackers release new 'jailbreak' for Apple's iPhone 3GS, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I know everyone here states the "unlocked phone" excuse, but I have never heard that from any of my friends or fellow students who have jailbroken.

jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things. you can do one without the other

I have seen nothing to make me jailbreak my ipad. perhaps the multitasking but I would only need that for my work unit and thus far my month without it has been fine.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things. you can do one without the other

I have a 2G iPhone and I couldn't unlock it without jailbreaking it.

Second, to the person with various tech/non-tech friends who may or may not jailbreak...I don't know where you get your numbers on piracy. I can echo a previous poster in stating that I do not have any pirated applications on iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

As someone else said, jailbreaking is done to:

1. Unlock the phone to use with different carriers

2. Get at the phone's filesystem

3. Tether to share phone's Internet connection with a desktop

4. Run third party apps shunned by Apple's draconian approval process

5. Run emulators

The main reason I would even consider jailbreaking my iPad is for the SNES/Genesis emulators. They work on the iPhone but the screen size is really prohibitive.

I had to jailbreak my 2G iPhone because AT&T isn't usable in my area. T-Mobile provides a much better service.

Several of these things could be addressed if Apple was truly interested in addressing user needs.

And btw, I hate Cydia with a passion. Loading, loading, loading. Rock is a 10x better store interface app.

Folks, are you really hoping that Tethering will give you effective Internet if AT&T allowed it with everyone? *All* the carriers in the world are getting complaints about internet performance. Once they build out the infrastructure to handle the bandwidth, they may turn it on.

On the Registrar of Voters requiring you to *still* mail in your voter registration, lovely to see people not understanding what online systems mean. I guess they want your original signature on the form, which may be a legal requirement.

It's funny to see how cheap the crackers (sorry guys, you really are) can be. Tap Tap Revenge 3 requires that you pay a buck to get access to certain avatar items. People have developed a cheat to get around that buck. Just more folks trying to get things at no cost, just like Obamacare.

FYI, some great developers *do* come out of the Jailbreaker community, one of them being Tap Tap Revenge itself.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    manictoshmanictosh Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Why bother at all - I have seen nothing on Cydia but Apps that would tend to make you system less stable and certainly not anything that I can't do without? I know people like to customize their phones with diff icons and skins, but what a hassle and risk to do that.

Other than the obvious (being able to run a shell and terminal would be cool - ssh, file system, etc...) what is the draw? I do understand that there is a desire to choose carriers from some but I get the feeling that it is mostly other add-ons. Can someone inform this developer?

1) As someone else already said, SBSettings is great.

2) Privacy - I want to block Flurry, Medialets, Mobclix, and Pinch Media from monitoring what I do.

3) Firewall iP - Lets me know what is attempting to connect to my phone. Allows me to block any connection I don't want - ads for example.

4) MCleaner - Allows me to block calls/texts from someone. Can also send calls straight to voicemail - useful if I am in a meeting and want all calls to go straight to VM without turning off my phone.

5) When traveling, I want to be able to put a different SIM in so I don't have to pay AT&T's international rates.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    If you're excited about tethering to your jailbreaked iPhone remember- it runs your iPhone battery down very fast even plugged in!!! Not worth it.

I've jb'd a few times and the phone just sucks. Crashes etc. I stopped.

The apps that you'd like and actually use don't add up to much money money if you plan on stealing. Again it's just not worth it ( not to mention hurting devs that are trying to pay the rent and get diaper money. Get real people!!!! Just pay!!!)
  • Reply 26 of 48
    personmanpersonman Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

Just more folks trying to get things at no cost, just like Obamacare..

Why, oh why can't we leave the political crap OUT of the non-political forums???
  • Reply 27 of 48
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Only $5/night? I've seen $15/night on multiple occasions, and that's my main incentive to keep mine jailbroken.

$15. Ouch. Did you pay it?

Of course the dorks at the hotel change the Login maybe once every three months, so I guess looked at from that point of view, the price drops pretty quickly with repeated stays.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Spirit did not work for me.

I am now restoring my iPhone, which takes 2 hours

Spirit sucks!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If you're excited about tethering to your jailbreaked iPhone remember- it runs your iPhone battery down very fast even plugged in!!! Not worth it.

I've jb'd a few times and the phone just sucks. Crashes etc. I stopped.

The apps that you'd like and actually use don't add up to much money money if you plan on stealing. Again it's just not worth it ( not to mention hurting devs that are trying to pay the rent and get diaper money. Get real people!!!! Just pay!!!)

I had read the same thing. On battery, tethered I get about 2.5 hours then it is dead. Plugged in I can get way more hours than I would ever need tethered. I guess results will vari but I have had zero issues so far. And as many have stated, piracy is far from most jail breakers intent. Sure the game dev's want you to believe their games are pirated all over the world but since a very small percentage of people actually jailbreak and a small percentage of those actually steal content, I do not buy it.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post

Spirit did not work for me.

I am now restoring my iPhone, which takes 2 hours

Spirit sucks!

Glad you took the time to register here just to make this statement may be "operator error".
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I know many who jailbreak and they do not pirate squat. tethering is the main reason,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

My iPhone's been jailbroken most of the 2 years I've had it and I've not a single pirated app. For $0.99, why the hell bother pirating?!? I'm jailbroken solely to tether.

Bzzzzt.... Wrong answer.

Tethering when it is in violation of your carrier's TOS is stealing - so you're doing essentially the same thing as people who pirate apps. You really just proved the point of whoever claimed that people jailbroke phones just to steal. Your excuses are just petty rationalization.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Bzzzzt.... Wrong answer.

Tethering when it is in violation of your carrier's TOS is stealing - so you're doing essentially the same thing as people who pirate apps. You really just proved the point of whoever claimed that people jailbroke phones just to steal. Your excuses are just petty rationalization.

That's an awfully big assumption you are making there. Many of us have carriers that fully allow tethering. Mine does. But to use it, prior to 3.0 required a jailbreak.

Talk about rationalization.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    quashquash Posts: 23member
    the only reason Im jailbroken/unlocked, is so I can use my phone with multiple carriers. I travel frequently to 4 countries and reside in the USA. All my apps are from the app store. The ability to swap sims on the fly is a huge plus, and saves me a ton of money. Not only that, I save roughly 20 bucks a month by not being on crappy ass AT&T
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Bzzzzt.... Wrong answer.

Whatever, maybe in your world. Breaking a TOS does not constitute stealing, sorry. I pay for unlimited, you can argue all you want that unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited but when I look in the dictionary, unlimited is "without limit". It is my data, I pay a ridiculous amount of money for it and I will use it how I see fit. Maybe if AT&T offered tethering then I wouldn't have to do this. AT&T is free to disconnect me at anytime if they feel I am running up too much data usage. Any decent IT manager at AT&T should be able to quickly see when a person is tethering. When an iPhone is using an app over 3G that is not intended to be used over 3G but is somehow connecting to the service a red light should go off. So all you "moral police" need not apply and save your rhetoric for someone who cares.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Whatever, maybe in your world. Breaking a TOS does not constitute stealing, sorry. I pay for unlimited, you can argue all you want that unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited but when I look in the dictionary, unlimited is "without limit". It is my data, I pay a ridiculous amount of money for it and I will use it how I see fit. Maybe if AT&T offered tethering then I wouldn't have to do this. AT&T is free to disconnect me at anytime if they feel I am running up too much data usage. Any decent IT manager at AT&T should be able to quickly see when a person is tethering. When an iPhone is using an app over 3G that is not intended to be used over 3G but is somehow connecting to the service a red light should go off. So all you "moral police" need not apply and save your rhetoric for someone who cares.

You pay for unlimited ON THAT DEVICE.

I love your rationalization - I paid for unlimited data service, so I'll simply put all 100 company phones onto the same account. After all, that's unlimited.

And I'll insist that they allow me to use it overseas with no extra charge.

And I'll insist that they provide me with a bunch of extra handsets to use with all those accounts.

Unlimited means 'unlimited within the agreement you signed up for." Anything else is dishonest and unethical - no matter how many ways you try to rationalize it.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

You pay for unlimited ON THAT DEVICE.

It is through THAT DEVICE.

Quote:

And I'll insist that they allow me to use it overseas with no extra charge.

You can insist in one hand and crap in the other, which one will fill up faster?

Quote:

And I'll insist that they provide me with a bunch of extra handsets to use with all those accounts.

Again, you can insist in one hand and crap in the other, which one will fill up faster?

Quote:

Unlimited means 'unlimited within the agreement you signed up for." Anything else is dishonest and unethical - no matter how many ways you try to rationalize it.

I sleep well at night, Your just stretching, we are talking data here.

Quote:

Anything else is dishonest and unethical.

Boo Whooo. Cry me a river, im off to use MY AT&T Data.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

1) Tethering (technically stealing if you're on AT&T.)

2) SBSettings is great.

3) Backgrounder, so you can run Pandora and still check Mail and Stocks without stopping the music.

That's about it.

4. BiteSMS (quick compose, quick reply are invaluable.)
  • Reply 38 of 48
    dougdoldedougdolde Posts: 53member
    I used the Spirit jailbreak on my iPhone 3G with the latest firmware and it worked great. Only took about 10 seconds. Then I installed the Cydia app and Backgrounder. Now I have a multitasking iPhone. Can listen to Pandora and do other thing without losing Pandora.

No problems at all.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

I used the Spirit jailbreak on my iPhone 3G with the latest firmware and it worked great. Only took about 10 seconds. Then I installed the Cydia app and Backgrounder. Now I have a multitasking iPhone. Can listen to Pandora and do other thing without losing Pandora.

No problems at all.

That is the consensus on the forums but the Moral Police feel you should rot in jail for even thinking about going against AT$T or Steve-O.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    dougdoldedougdolde Posts: 53member
    Quote:

That is the consensus on the forums but the Moral Police feel you should rot in jail for even thinking about going against AT$T or Steve-O.

Maybe but my iPhone is not under contract with AT&T any longer. I use the Line2 VoIP application for a WIFI phone.