Apple adding Facebook features to iPhone OS 4 - rumor

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    t2aft2af Posts: 44member
    guess i picked a bad week to quit facebook .. it's never a bad week to quit facebook
  • Reply 42 of 55
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Fine, so long as someone comes up with a Facebook Suicide App to facilitate complete and permanent deletion of one's Facebook account.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I don't know how but we will see iChat in the iPhone very soon.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Step 1 of integrating Facebook on your phone:- log into Facebook account.

No Facebook account = no integration.

Not supplying details of an existing Facebook account to log into = no integration.

It's up to you.

You can already sync contacts via the existing Facebook App.

btw Facebook was the first site in a VERY long time to get more hits than Google.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Wait, one of the reasons people gave, apparently out of thin air, for Google Voice not being approved was Apple's benevolent concern for our privacy. Now, they might integrate facebook into the OS and API? Does not seem like a good idea. Facebook has a horrible reputation regarding user privacy. Far worse than Google, IMO. I don't post anything private on facebook, but I would imagine that someone accidently turning on this setting being surprised to suddenly find far more personal information available on facebook than they intended. And once it is there, Facebook pretty much acts like it owns that info.

I never like the idea of integrating things that are gimmicky or trendy into an OS or platform. It doesn't improve or advance the platform. Some of the most annoying ads today are for the new breed of 'social' phones. I really dislike the idea of phones like the Kin that are completely based around trendy social networks.

But, I guess if it sells more iPhones, then I suppose it is a necessary evil (or just an annoyance). I hope Apple doesn't promote it to heavily in the marketing.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    jbro1999jbro1999 Posts: 38member
    Maybe a year ago I would have been excited but I just deleted mine facebook account yesterday.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

btw Facebook was the first site in a VERY long time to get more hits than Google.

What's more interesting about that is Google is much more of an international service than Facebook is.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Perhaps this is because Facebook's stance on privacy is "cringe worthy". You don't have to read the tea leaves here to get the sense that there's backlash going on right now.

I've been on FB for a couple years now and frankly it's reached a point of saturation wrt how important it is and what it offers. Many of us don't want to see Apple spending too much effort to integrate FB functionality into the OS when it's not even clear if FB is going to keep a lot of their current customers.

FB isn't the end all be all of social networking. In fact it's becoming pretty annoying to me, and judging from the posts in this thread I'm not alone.

I agree with you. I've been a FaceBook user for years, but the constant need to monitor my privacy settings has become extremely annoying.

For those of you who say that it's okay so long as you don't post anything you don't want others to see, you're not seeing the bigger picture.

There are lots of people and groups that I do not want to show ANY of my info too. My ex wife and her family come to mind.

Take a look at this breakdown of FB's privacy settings.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...k-privacy.html
  • Reply 49 of 55
    I really don't like them tailoring an OS to a specific application.

What if when iPhone OS 1.0 came out it was all about MySpace....now you'd be like 'What's MySpace???'
  • Reply 50 of 55
    pstone83pstone83 Posts: 8member
    I don't understand what everyone's issue is, I mean more than likely this is just referencing Facebook integration with the upcoming version of ichat for the iphone and possibly with the photo app for uploading purposes. This is already present in iLife apps and even itunes now. Apple regularly integrates popular services with it's device/apps (eg google maps/search, yahoo stocks/weather) yet all of these services can be bypassed by using alternatives. It behooves apple to make it easier for the masses to connect to their most used services in a simple yet comprehensive way and by baking it in they can insure this.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Four letter word starting with 'f' followed by 'no!' in all caps.

Facebook is a plague.

So true. So many freaking websites I see loading up in my browser already show some kind of fakebook api component loading up already. Please Apple don't jump onto the bandwagon and let this scourge pollute our iphones. Even the social link in iPhoto 09 was a step too far.

You want light code, Steve, drop this crap from OS 4.0.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    They don't value users privacy, and make changes without any recourse for end users. Why in the world would you want to put any more data at risk on that site?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Silicon Alley Insider received what is supposed to be a record of an IM chat Mark Zuckerberg had shortly after launching Facebook. They haven't confirmed the authenticity, but FaceBook issued a reply that did not deny the discussion, which would have been simple and definitive if true. Anyway, if it is valid, it shows a disturbing lack of integrity with regard to how he viewed the personal information users provided. Hopefully, Facebook as a company is not too imprinted with his personality. Hopefully he was joking if he did write these things.

From SIA article:

Quote:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

If tighter integration with Google is a bad thing from a privacy standpoint, integrating with these guys doesn't seem to be a better idea.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    What a bunch of whiners.. if you don't like FB, DONT USE IT! I was a fb hater too but it's actually a nice way to keep casual connections with aquaintences and old friends, and a good way to keep up with current friends. How about some commentary on what this could mean for APPLE. Hopefully apple will be coming out with iChat next month, and hopefully they'll also come out with thier own social networking app (iLife app?) that would integrate with fb and iChat. I think that would be really cool, and with the possibility of an apple iMap app it becomes even more cool.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Well, ubuntu community looks a bit --- uhmmm... --- remote, as usual.