AT&T reveals high-speed HSPA+ will reach 250M Americans in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Who makes radios for mobiles that can handle that speed? I've only heard of it for USB broadband cards and used more for marketing between telcos than anything else.

It's only a matter of time.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Bring it on. The network has definitely been faster where you get it, it's just that Delaware's state population of 800,000 is less than most major cities. Signal is great, but only when you can get it.

Thanks great if you live in Dover, Wilmington, or the Beaches. Just south of Dover, you can barely get Edge if you are lucky. I'll be happy with regular 3G.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

It supports up to 802.11n for wireless, which goes up to 108 Mbps. So I don't see anyone having over 100 Mbps internet in the US Even universities like UCI, which is the one I go to, only have 15 Mbps allocated to wireless users.

If I recall right there are deficiencies in the Airport that ratchet down the throughput and could definitely make your router the bottleneck. That's why I linked to that book.

I think it said super fast ISPs could overwhelm a consumer routers ability to perform NAT, at speeds above 25-30 Mbps. Still faster than what you have, but far lower than 108 Mbps.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    Quote:

When the hell is 14.4 Mbps coming to landline broadband, let alone wireless broadband? Actually, come to think of it, 7.2 Mbps is faster than my cable connection at home. Something is seriously wrong in the ISP business...

We get 30 and 50Mbits in this part of Canada.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    It'd be cool if they could dial down the speed on this a little and get their signal to transmit further from the tower to improve their reception. WIll this transmit farther away?

AT&T is a punchline now, they need to do something about that.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    phasorncphasornc Posts: 46member
    Still can't really get internet access on my iphone at a Phillies game. Have to switch my 3GS to Edge to get a connection. Yes I realize that 11,000 iphones in one spot might be a bit of challenge, but it's just that, a challenge figure it out ATT before we hit you with a Tazer and then puke on you!
  • Reply 27 of 89
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

With DSL?
  • Reply 28 of 89
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Still can't really get internet access on my iphone at a Phillies game. Have to switch my 3GS to Edge to get a connection. Yes I realize that 11,000 iphones in one spot might be a bit of challenge, but it's just that, a challenge figure it out ATT before we hit you with a Tazer and then puke on you!

Try another team.

It's about money, not technology. Configuring a locale to handle that kind of traffic just 80x a year for 4-5 hours when the Phillies are playing would raise the hackles of investors and users in other areas.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

When the hell is 14.4 Mbps coming to landline broadband, let alone wireless broadband? Actually, come to think of it, 7.2 Mbps is faster than my cable connection at home. Something is seriously wrong in the ISP business...

Most cable companies were forced to sell analog cable in their local markets. Blame your local government
  • Reply 30 of 89
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

Thanks great if you live in Dover, Wilmington, or the Beaches. Just south of Dover, you can barely get Edge if you are lucky. I'll be happy with regular 3G.

I'm south of Dover.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    ive been in san francisco for a year now and have lived in san diego, i have had all of the generations of iphones, and on my current 3gs i get at best 600k down and 200k up with full bars. so all of this 7.2m to now 14m b.s. is a joke to me. anyone here agree?
  • Reply 32 of 89
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Really? I'd rather they didn't bother with the HSPA+ and instead focus on their crappy service! If I'm on my phone more than 5 minutes, its not a question of "if" my call will get dropped, it's just when, and how many times. Last time I called my mom my call was dropped 3 times in 30 minutes, and yeah, I had 4 bars...
  • Reply 33 of 89
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    AT&T claims to have it implemented by the end of 2010, I really don't belive it.

More important Give the people in the BIG CITIES and everywhere else CONNECTIVITY!!!both for phone service and internet. There's no reason in 2010 that people should have to stand by a window or walk to a certain area of their house or workplace to make a call or go online.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

i barely get edge in this part on rogers. \
  • Reply 35 of 89
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

Good luck with that. In downtown Wilmington between 9AM & 5PM, 3G often has no throughput. And I'm walking distance from the tower (at Christina Landing on the waterfront). So those of us above the canal would like functional 3G too. It's a load issue that AT&T hasn't been willing to address.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Try another team.

Like who? The Phillies seem to have the NL locked up for the forseeable future... Although, I did get a decent signal at a Yankees game last year...

Quote:

It's about money, not technology. Configuring a locale to handle that kind of traffic just 80x a year for 4-5 hours when the Phillies are playing would raise the hackles of investors and users in other areas.

Don't forget the Eagles and Flyers!

I seem to recall AT&T putting together some sort of temporary boosting solution for some event inthe past. I don't know that the costs or technical hurdles are, but it seems like a few mobile response teams of trucks that could boost connectivity in event locations would be great PR...
  • Reply 37 of 89
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    But back on topic...

I seem to fall in the middle here, with AT&T. I almost never have dropped calls or data connection issues where I live, work or play. But my speeds are nowhere near advertised: 0.61Mbps down and 0.09 up! I get 15+ down on my WiFi...
  • Reply 38 of 89
    iedsriiedsri Posts: 26member
    How naive can people be?

Verizon's "There's a map for that" ads weren't based on fiction, you know. Huge parts of the country still don't even get a reliable AT&T Edge signal, let alone 3G.

When they start promising something even better than 3G, I take it as a slap on the face to the vast number of their own customers who know after years of waiting that *nothing* *is* *actually* *being* *done* to improve their service. That 3G coverage map? It hasn't changed in THREE FULL YEARS . . . .
  • Reply 39 of 89
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

It just happens that I was talking with a coworker friday who was talking about the bandwidth situation, he and I work in differant major US cities (both easily top 10 in size) he talked about getting 25MbPS FIOS, but not in the "haha" bragadociaous tone that one would expect when taking to a victom---er---customer of Comcast. He said "I got 25 because it is as fast as they said I could go, its sad that ou guys have the best companies and universities, but such poor connectivity compared to what I got at home in Japan."

ATT Comcast and Verizon will be responsible for the downfall of America as a great innovator if we are not careful...land line based internet sold as "high speed" or "broadband" should be 20MB at minimum and average 100...come on, this is America god damn it, we should be the best! Where is the drive for innovation that took us from 9600baud dialup to DSL and t1 in 10 years (1990 - 2000)? so we have gone from like 10MbPS in 2002 on comcast to a whopping 15 in 8 years, gimmie a fucking break!
  • Reply 40 of 89
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Is that a reference to an older movie with Don Johnson?