Picture of iPhone 4G with white front panel surfaces

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This might be the first time we'll see different colours. However, it might behoove them to wait until at least the September iPod/iTunes event when the next iPod Touch gets updated and then release colours for it and the iPhone. Or perhaps do a mid-cycle release in January.

Here are some mockups: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3504/picture5df.jpg (image)

Wow. Who did the fakes? Looks good.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I love the new design in black but I think the white version is hideous. It destroys the whole effect of the dark screen of all the previous models.

I've always bought white or grey when I've had a choice of Apple products, but the black one is the only classy option on this model IMO.

Traditionally, Apple only introduces a range of colours in mature designs when there isn't much else to get excited about or the update is so minimal that it needs something more. This new design will be the first iteration, so I think it unlikely we will see any more choice than black or the white this time.

It is a matter of personal opinion but white in this situation tends to look far better in person. Black always looks good, even in photographs. The white3G looked far worse in photographs and I could see this model being as popular as the black.

You're second paragraph is true with Apple but, like someone else said, it helps to provide the perception of more choices when competing against Android.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

..or, there's no keynote at all, there's no new iPhone at all, that'll surprise everyone.

Knowing how Steve pulls product introductions at the last minute, this might not end up being a joke.

He could come out, just say the iPhone is now available on all US carriers, then walk off.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

SJ has got to be p1ssed with these constant leaks - assuming they aren't by design (Froyo?) - wonder how the Keynote will go without anyone being surprised.

I hope Steve Jobs will surprise us with the first unibody iPhone. With a curved aluminum back and a black apple. Just like the new iPad.

Now, that would be sexy as hell!!
  • Reply 25 of 116
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

They were thinking "we think these look cool." No matter what design Apple chooses, there will be those that find it ugly. That's just the nature of esthetics. So for every person like you who thinks these don't work, there will be plenty who think they're a great update to the iconic iPhone look.

Myself, I was taken aback at first but have come to like the no-nonsense simplicity of the new design. Makes the current model look a little fussy, IMO.

I suppose they (Steve Jobs and the gang) don't know what else to tweak in term of physical design of the iPhone, flatten the current "iconic" model design that's the most likely to do since Apple is Apple: simplicity. \

Or would we rather have the same design, but thinner? I don't think that will scream loud enough to draw users to make an upgrade..
  • Reply 26 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I hope Steve Jobs will surprise us with the first unibody iPhone. With a curved aluminum back and a black apple. Just like the new iPad.

It would be pretty hilarious is the entire vast and ongoing system of leaks, lawsuits and criminal investigations was just a headfake by Apple and the new iPhone looks completely different from what we've been shown.

Steve: And here it is.

Assembled tech press: (Audible gasp)

Steve: (grinning) Aw yeah, bitches, deal with it.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member
    If they do colors, I hope they resist doing Red and Blue, especially the Red theme again! Despite Bono and company's crusade, it is a MAJOR pain for those in education, as these are the primary gang colors, and for most schools that means if you have ANYTHING that is RED or BLUE out where it is seen, it will be confiscated, usually for good! Always a source for major hassles w/ kids and parents vs administration.

Kids LOVE the iPhone, so offering it in two of the favorite (unfortunately!) colors is just asking for bad relations down the road with education - one of Apple's longest supporters. The iPods have been a hassle as it is - most schools have long since given up trying to enforce their rules of no headphones and just suffer along with them.

The Red campaign makes for guaranteed hassles when a teacher sees them in class, because then they HAVE to deal with the issue! Everyone now has a phone, regardless of school policies against them, and often out in class... God help you if you take one of them away! You need to call Security to do it, otherwise you run the risk of a fight in class, and the phone disappearing from your desk!

So, please Apple, NO Gang Colors!
  • Reply 28 of 116
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    More colors like the iPod nano would be great.

I'll get mine in white, but many will appreciate the more options to choose from.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andruby View Post

I would love to see them do a full brushed aluminum version like the MacBook Pro's. It would definitely make them feel more durable and perhaps even a little thinner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Oh, you mean this iPhone unibody..?

(read about it at here)
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

SJ has got to be p1ssed with these constant leaks - assuming they aren't by design (Froyo?) - wonder how the Keynote will go without anyone being surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a joke about it in the speech. I'm sure they will think of something surprising anyway, with their track record.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    so are we in agreement that this iPhone looks like the PSP?

• Reply 32 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

I suppose they (Steve Jobs and the gang) don't know what else to tweak in term of physical design of the iPhone, flatten the current "iconic" model design that's the most likely to do since Apple is Apple: simplicity. \

Or would we rather have the same design, but thinner? I don't think that will scream loud enough to draw users to make an upgrade..

It's true that relentless minimalism gives Apple fewer options for "holy shit" type case upgrades, but that doesn't mean that they can't continue to refine the details in ways that are compelling.

The thing about such refinement, however, is that it doesn't translate well to leaked pictures on the internet, with the payoff being when you actually touch and use the device.

Remember how folks were bitching about the bezel on the iPad? Don't really hear much of that now, I would say because once you pick one up it all makes sense.

The other thing about Apple's touch devices is that it's not really about the device, it's about the screen. The rest of it is just there to present the screen and get out of the way. The way the tech is moving is towards literally that-- nothing but a screen.

Which highlights an area that I think Apple could do a better job-- in what, exactly, you're seeing when you're just carrying your phone around. Currently the iPhone is associated with one of two images-- the unlock screen, with nothing but a wallpaper, slider and clock, or the home screen, with nothing but little tiles of apps.

Other touch handsets have moved to differentiate themselves with informative variants on the home screen, some of which are fairly appealing IMO. I think as case parts continue to become less important that the screen becomes more and more of the device, UI, graphics and software choices re what is displayed when you're not doing anything else will become more and more the "identity" of the phone and take on more and more importance in the consumer's mind.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    onepotatoonepotato Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

gghhjjj

Couldn't have said it better myself. So what's your take on the new Droids?

Personally, if they make the iPhones in anything but Black and White, then I want one in Tangerine.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Fake!!!!!!!!1111
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Knowing how Steve pulls product introductions at the last minute, this might not end up being a joke.

He could come out, just say the iPhone is now available on all US carriers, then walk off.

It is everyone's worst nightmare, especially for iPhone users, if Steve Jobs really decided to pull it off since he's so mad with all of these leaks. No joke, this could happen for real.

But best of all, he'll still going to introduce a new iPhone but without any change on the outside, only the specs inside are.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

so are we in agreement that this iPhone looks like the PSP?

[/IMG]

It looks nothing like the PSP.

And please, in the future, make the pics smaller so they don't widen the column.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    As far as a bunch of different colors go, I think that's out.

Fir one, they would require carrying too many versions. This raises the manufacturing costs, as no one color will be made in larger quantities. Stores just HATE having so many different colors. Anyone remember when Apple and Best Buy fought so many years ago about the four colors the original iMacs came in? Apple insisted that retailers buy one of each color when ordering. Best Buy, correctly said that if certain colors didn't sell as well, as the orange and red or green, I forget which didn't, then they wanted to have to option of ordering more of the models that did sell well. Apple insisted they couldn't, so Best Buy stopped selling Apple products for years. That hurt Apple's sales, because at the time, Best buy sold over 5% of Apple's computers. That's a big number.

So what would happen to the phones if Apple has them in five or ten colors? I don't see it happening. iPods are different. They are smaller, cheaper, are replaced more often, and are more a fashion statement than a phone is. They're also bought by kids more than the more expensive phones are. I know people who have several, in different colors, to go with what they wear.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

They just need to make a thinner aluminum chassis as the iPhone's internals get smaller and smaller. (And next year, when the PA Semi system-on-a-chip is finally ready, I expect that we'll see some extremely thin iPhones.)

so you don't think there's any PA Semi tech in the A4, and that it's all Intrinsity? Just curious because I'd think that by now we'd be seeing at least a little influence from PA on the A4.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It looks nothing like the PSP.

And please, in the future, make the pics smaller so they don't widen the column.

That's your opinion--maybe you should make that clear next time, rather than speaking in absolutes. And, in my opinion, it does resemble the PSP somewhat.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wow. Who did the fakes? Looks good.

Seraphan from spaziocellulare.com. It was pushed through a few blogs, I have no idea if he actually created them but I'd wager he did based on the other mockups.