More alleged Apple iPhone 4G parts show white external casing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Because only the rabble use a cover?

Seriously, the kind of people who argue over white versus black (like myself) are purists and design-heads, and no one in that category would ever cover up a beautiful thing like an iPhone with a ten dollar plastic case.

Also, I think you are either living in a very strange place, or wildly exaggerating the amount of folks that use a cover. 99 out of 100? Really? Not exaggerating a bit there?

I see lots of naked iPhones all the time (more like 60/40 IMO), and I imagine that if I lived somewhere where it didn't rain everyday like it does here, there would be a lot more.

There are three types of people in this world:

1) Those with protective covers on their iPhones.

2) Those who haven't dropped their iPhones YET.

3) The unfortunate who don't even have iPhones.

I have one black and one white soft silicone cover. It's funny because I've had people actually think I've gotten a totally different iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    babaloobabaloo Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I have one black and one white soft silicone cover. It's funny because I've had people actually think I've gotten a totally different iPhone.

Do cased protect from fall damage pretty well? My main beef with cases is that they make the phone thicker, and even though keeps the phone inside nice and shiny, it gets pretty dirty.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the new iPhone? Telus is just one of a few telcos here in Canada.

http://telus.com/

• Reply 24 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

...an iPhone with a ten dollar plastic case...

Where can you find a case for $10? From what I have seen they all seem to start at closer to $20 than $10 and the sky is the limit.

I bought a case for my iPhone 3G when I first got it. It was one of those that completely enclosed the iPhone and attempted to make it look the same only fatter - about a quarter of an inch (0.25" or approx. 6.5 mm for you SI types). Yuck! It turned out to be a dust collector and made my phone uglier so it now sits in a drawer.

I prefer naked or au natural! No case for me thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WingsLevel View Post

Guys, please stop using allegedly for everything! After a while it just starts to get funny how much you misuse the word. It has a negative connotation, especially in journalism, where it's used almost exclusively when someone has been accused of a crime. I've been ignoring it for months now, but this is just silly.

WRONG: Apple is allegedly working on a new AppleTV.

RIGHT: John Doe allegedly committed triple homicide.

WRONG: Apple alleged to be researching front-facing video camera for iPhone, iPad.

RIGHT: John Doe is alleged to have murdered eight people.

WRONG: Apple allegedly working on new iPhone.

RIGHT: Gizmodo allegedly purchased the stolen new iPhone.

A public service announcement.

WRONG: WingsLevel

RIGHT: Everyone else

Alleged:
    • asserted but not proved; supposed but doubtful

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alleged

• declared but not proved

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

• allegation - An assertion not necessarily based on facts; The act of alleging

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/allegation

An accusation of wrong-doing is only one use of the word.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oodlum View Post

Alleged:
    • asserted but not proved; supposed but doubtful

• declared but not proved

• allegation - An assertion not necessarily based on facts; The act of alleging

An accusation of wrong-doing is only one use of the word.

Yeah, no kidding it has other meanings, thanks for the lesson. But its usage in journalism, as I already made clear, is quite specific. If you're the editor of the NYT or WSJ or some other publication, say so, otherwise you should really check things out before you speak up. And you might want to revise your list of who's wrong up there, because the link I just gave you goes on for pages with the exact same usage of the term over and over and over and over.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    minxiaominxiao Posts: 1member
    Dear friends, please temporarily stop your footsteps

To our website Walk around A look at

Maybe you'll find happiness in your sight shopping heaven and earth

You'll find our price is more suitable for you.

Welcome to our website - - - http://www.soozone.com - - - - -

Next we come to talk about a topic:

Why are now prices are very expensive

yes Many people now have to earn more money

to Pushing up prices

But they didn't find customers buy after won't come back

But friends %uFF0CDo you ever found

Our website is more cost-effective price than others

Want to know why?

The answer is:

We are not the point to earn money

We are long-term trade marketing

We are for the benefit of customers

Why our customers will be so much?

Are the prices we meet their needs.

Our price is more suitable for you?

If is the word.

Then what you waiting for?

Hurry movement of your mouse

Enjoy shopping pleasure,

Additionally, we also free shipping charge a small Insurance.

Thanks to the support!

=== http://www.soozone.com ====
  • Reply 28 of 41
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

I've dropped mine lots of times, and my iPod touch and the previous iPhone I had. None had cases, none broke. Minor scratches on the metal rim of the iPod touch when it hit the concrete.

The iPhone screen is made from hardened glass, it's practically un-scratchable. There are no moving parts to break, and the whole thing is sealed. Also, most cases are just for show. The only thing they will stop is the slight tiny scratches, a real fall will still do the same damage it would do even if you didn't have the case. The case is just for cosmetic protection, not *actual* protection.

Also, you are really assuming here that everyone is unnaturally concerned with keeping the phone in pristine out-of-the-box condition. If it gets a few scratches on the back or the rim, that doesn't destroy it as a phone or make it any less cool AFAICS. It's a phone, it's made to be used, not protected like a little jewel in it's perfect little case.

I think it's pretty hilarious how a lot of men will make fun of some guy for buying a white phone cause it's "feminine" or some such, but will freak out if their phone gets the tiniest scratch or recoil in horror if it gets out of it's pretty little case they bought for it.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I wonder if this has anything to do with the new iPhone? Telus is just one of a few telcos here in Canada.

http://telus.com/

A countdown timer expiring the day after the start of WWDC? Intriguing.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Guys, please stop using allegedly for everything! After a while it just starts to get funny how much you misuse the word.

Wow! You seem to be very sure of your position. I am not a lexicographer and English is not my native tongue. Thus, I will use your own "evidence" to dissect your claims about the supposed misuse of the term, and that others are being silly for doing so.

Quote:

It has a negative connotation, especially in journalism, where it's used almost exclusively when someone has been accused of a crime.

Really??? Positively sure? Can you please provide us with a reliable (online) journalism manual to bolster your claim? that:

"Allegedly" this, "allegedly" that, especially in journalism, it's used almost exclusively when someone has been accused of a crime"?

Using your own "Google" search link, here are some interesting "headlines" or quotes (the commentaries below each quoted material were mine):

Contrary Evidence #1.

"Pop diva, Mariah Carey, and hubby Nick Cannon, have been uber-private about their alleged pregnancy, leaving speculators to publish all sorts of 'is she' or ... "

Do you happen to live in a country where it is not only negative to be pregnant but you will also be accused of a crime? In the US, perhaps if you are a guy, you might get odd looks ("negative"), but it was a tabloid headline when a guy announce that he was allegedly pregnant. To my knowledge he earned more than "15-minute fame" but was never accused of committting a crime for the alleged pregnancy.

Contrary Evidence #2.

"The alleged rift between Brangelina over Brad Pitt's decision..."

I know that a rift has a negative connotation, but I doubt that either of the famous lovebirds would ever be accused of a crime for having a rift, at least in the US or the parts of the world where I have been.

Contrary Evidence #3.

"Alleged Alpha Protocol Developer Calls Game "a Failure" "

While a failure can imply something negative, looked at a different perspective, the "alleged ... developer" may be viewed also as frank and honest, and does not want to delude potential consumers from buying a "failed" game app. The "alleged ... developer" would more than likely be applauded for his honesty and not likely to be accused of a crime.

Contrary Evidences #4 & 5..

"Shock at "tributes" mocking death of alleged murder victim"

"Second alleged victim testifies in cop torture trial"

It was possible that a crime was commited but surely, it would not have been the "alleged victims" would not have been the ones accused of the crime commited by someone else.

I could go one with more examples, from the Google search you provided.

Quote:

I've been ignoring it for months now, but this is just silly.

Unless you can explain yourself oot of the examples provided to refute your claim that], "especially in journalism, it's used almost exclusively when someone has been accused of a crime " maybe you should have exercised more forbearance. Otherwise, there might be a debate about who would look silly.

Quote:

WRONG: Apple is allegedly working on a new AppleTV.

RIGHT: John Doe allegedly committed triple homicide.

Since we are "pointing fingers", the more apt terms to use would be "Correct-Incorrect" or some who think to be purist: "Proper - Imporper", as opposed to "Right-Wrong". The latter terms connote a certain degree of "moral judgement". Of course, because lexicographers consider languages as "living" and "evolving", "Right-Wrong" as you used them above, would now be considered acceptable usage.

Quote:

A public service announcement.

Are you still so sure of this?

[QUOTE=WingsLevel;1644427]

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by oodlum View Post

Alleged:

* asserted but not proved; supposed but doubtful

* declared but not proved

* allegation - An assertion not necessarily based on facts; The act of alleging

If I have to critic the counterargument of oodlum, it would be his use of Wiktionary as a reference (authoritative source) to refute your claims. I would not consider the creators of "Wiktionary" as a bastion of authority, in cases like this. His (oodlum's) postion would have had a stronger foundation has he cited standard authorities of lexicography: Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dirctionary of the English Language, and similar sources.

Quote:

Yeah, no kidding it has other meanings, thanks for the lesson. But its usage in journalism, as I already made clear, is quite specific.

Are you still so sure of this?

Quote:

If you're the editor of the NYT or WSJ or some other publication, say so, otherwise you should really check things out before you speak up.

You actually based your claim from being in the inside with the editor of NYT or WSJ or some other publications? Or did you base your epiphany from the Google search you provided?

Do you actually consider a "Google search" as evidence of facts? Or, in the case, teh basis of correct usage of a term?

Quote:

And you might want to revise your list of who's wrong up there, because the link I just gave you goes on for pages with the exact same usage of the term over and over and over and over.

oodlum need not really have to change his position. The claim of the original post -- with no solid or authoritative proof provided, except your allegation that knowledge/authority of journalistic practices -- may need to be reconsidered by the original poster.

The original claim about the correct "alledgedly" and their derivatives would be almost tantamount to claim would be tantamount to positing that the term, GAY, refers only to a person in same sex relationship or being attracted to the same sex, simply because in Western culture, the leaders and activists of a community in our society was so successful in claiming the term, GAY.

Having done so, it does not become incorrect or silly to still use the term "gay" to refer to a different emotional state, more akin to happy, merry and such. I am sure there must be other correct usage of the term because my first roommate, when I came to the US, happened to have "Gay" for a last name, without showing any inclination to have been attracted to me, or any of our dormmates -- unless he was so good in concealing his identify and the girl tagging along with him was simply a "fag hag". And in the US, "fag" may a different meaning from what the Brits refer to.

CGC

N.B.

The evidences provided in quotation (and also italicized), were taken from the Google source link provided by the "evangelizer" of the correct usage of "allegedly" and their derivatives.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Does the iPhone 4G actually use 4G or is it still limited to 3G?
  • Reply 32 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Yeah, no kidding it has other meanings, thanks for the lesson. But its usage in journalism, as I already made clear, is quite specific. If you're the editor of the NYT or WSJ or some other publication, say so, otherwise you should really check things out before you speak up. And you might want to revise your list of who's wrong up there, because the link I just gave you goes on for pages with the exact same usage of the term over and over and over and over.

Your own link proves you wrong. Sure, "alleged" is almost always used in cases of legal accusations. But just because that use is common, does not mean all other uses are incorrect.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

I had a £20 leather Belkin case until I lost it on holiday. Never bothered to replace it. 3G now almost 2 years old and 18 months without a case, very minor scratches on the glass that you cannot see at all when the device is in use, plenty of scuffing on the back where it's been slid around on desks etc and a bit of a dint on the bottom corner where I've dropped it a few times, but nothing that makes it look damaged. The only issue I have is the casing around the dock connector on the back is cracked in 3 places near the screws, but you have to look for it.

Oh, and when I unlocked it (legally) and put in a different sum, the sim tray was a bit grungy where I had once dropped it in the cat food...

Frankly I wish I had never bought the case. When the next phone is out and I replace it, I will spend less than the price of a case buying a replacement casing/bezel on Ebay in purple to give to my other half and it will look as new.

I found the case increased the size, increased the weight, made it harder to slide in and out of pockets, harder to access the mute/volume buttons without taking it out of your pockets etc. There's a reason they stopped selling the protective screen covers and all that in Apple stores recently, it's largely pointless. They're tough things, and the new one is likely to be even stronger.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Funny... but not true.

I've got an original iPhone which has never been in a case. It has been dropped tons of times. Granted, it has a couple dents on the corners, the silver paint is worn away in some areas, it is really scratched up, and has a few rows of stuck pixels. But I don't regret going caseless at all.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume everyone else noticed that this back is still likely from a prototype (the XXXX for the part number and the lack of the SRAM size below 'iPhone').

Maybe this is the prototype for lower cost phones? And the metal/glass are high end or white is the backup jone in case it doesn't work as planned. Remeber that story?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:

How does saying "in my opinion it's ugly" equate to "it's a fact"?

Your making a lot of assumptions about me, generalising about what "everyone" thought, and bringing dieties into it for cripes sake. If anyone is being overly emotional and not talking facts, it's you.

Prove me wrong little guy.... don't buy the new phone. How about that?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post

Yeah why not the full rainbow of color, I'm not sure why Apple hasn't done this yet... Although from a hardware perspective (and if the rumors are true that is) the new iPhone will have killer hardware, its main disadvantage to typical consumers as of now.

Wait for the fall or winter, it could happen. As shown in renders, this model lends itself very well to adding colors. There is no reason they would introduce it at launch though, when it could be better used as a mid cycle sales boost.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

How does saying "in my opinion it's ugly" equate to "it's a fact"?

Your making a lot of assumptions about me, generalising about what "everyone" thought, and bringing dieties into it for cripes sake. If anyone is being overly emotional and not talking facts, it's you.

How do you even form an opinion when looking at such a terrible picture? The lighting is so bad it doesn't even look white.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

I don't have a case for my iPhone and Ive dropped it a few times before, once was on concrete and It made a small crack about 1cm long on the back near the dock connector. I walked into an apple store and got a new one free. Problem solved.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

You forget:

4) Those who can handle expensive electronics in a responsible manner, which includes not putting an expensive phone in a case that gives you a false sense of security so that you are more prone to do something stupid like drop it from being careless.

I've had my iPhone for almost two years - I've dropped it twice, but never in such a way that could damage it - because I'm generally pretty careful and pay attention to how I'm holding it when I use it.

If half the people with reception problems would take the lame ass cases off their phones, they might be surprised that they work pretty good.