Apple's current iPad software won't allow iPhone tethering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the reports seem to confirm that 3G tethering via Bluetooth is not available on the iPad, it is possible that Apple could add the feature to the iPad via a future software update. It's also possible that an iPhone software update could allow tethering over Wi-Fi, as some other smartphones currently do.

Why would you tether if you have Wi-Fi?
  • Reply 22 of 88
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The whole tethering debacle with AT&T is a clusterf**k now, and I don't know how ANYONE can be happy with it.

1) AT&T gives you 2GB to work with for $25 [OK, fine]

2) AT&T charges you an extra $20 a month for "official" tethering [OK, fine]

3) However, even though you are paying extra for tethering and AT&T even says that those who tether use more data, they still cap you at the same 2GB as those who don't tether [*&^$ YOU AT&T!]

I checked my usage and I'm at about 500 Mb a month and I consider myself a power user. But I don't download movies or stream to the iPhone, so maybe I'm not as much of a bandwidth hog.

If people who use it that much are being capped, I say more power to AT&T. It'll free up bandwidth and make the network work that much smoother. If you say, fuck AT&T and go to Verizon of wherever, right on. The network will unclog even more.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Just wondering, when iPhone Videochat is introduced by Steve Jobs, If this feature is a datahog to use, and AT&T skimpy 2GB is almost out, will a "caller" be able to call "Collect" to the other party who might have more GB left on their plan then you?

Also, I bet AT&T will yank your MB's for accepting an videochat phone call just as much as they will for placing one!

Hope iPhone OS 4 will have the option to tell the caller you are not accepting videocalls, go to regular call mode and just talk. That way at least you are just using minutes.

Speaking of minutes, with this new plan does AT&T still offer rollover?
  • Reply 24 of 88
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Why would you tether if you have Wi-Fi?

What they meant was connecting to a phone that is serving as a hotspot. The newer android phones can do that.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    uelogyuelogy Posts: 16member
    Why would apple let you do this when they have a 3G version at a higher price point?

This is what pushed me to jailbreak my iPhone and use MyWi - works perfectly, my iPhone and iPad are best friends.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Two words: first generation.

Why do some Mac lovers employ the language of trolls when they don't get everything they want right out of the gate? A little patience, please.

First argumentative post and it has to be a reply to me. I thought for once someone might agree.

Yes, it is part of Apple's product strategy to limit a first gen product. Then they come out with a better one for less money. That's why I started visiting this site. To try to know when it's safe to "pull the trigger" on something new.

Do you mean to suggest Apple is delibertly withholding tethering on the ipad so I'll buy the next one that will have it?
  • Reply 27 of 88
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I don't know why this story is going around again. We already knew this.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I ordered my iPad the day before the data plan changes were announced, a week before it goes into effect, and only a month after it began. Because of slow delivery, no fault of my own, and the method for signing up for an unlimited plan for $29.99 - i won't have the option for unlimited - despite that being a very strong selling point for the iPad...

And Apple KNEW they were advertising those rates to thousands of new buyers that would never get the option for unlimited.

As such, I have broke my iPhone 3GS out of jail and installed MyWi. It works great.

They want to charge $20 for tethering without adding more data? Why? It's merely technical on out part. Essentially, at&t wants to charge more money per month for us to view our content on a larger screen. WHAT A JOKE!

I will NOT be giving up unlimited on the iPhone. And I will NOT be upgrading the phone yet. Wait and see.

UPDATE: I was just alerted to that if you order your iPad from the apple online store through June 6 you can still get the unlimited plan when your iPad arrives after June 7. : ) I'll pay. It's fair to me.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

The vast vast vast majority of iPhone users are not interested in tethering. I have no problem seeing the few data hogs who want to tether pay much more for that service.

I agree. For me who now travels for fun rather than for work, my laptop is now gathering dust. I am getting along pretty well on the road with my iPhone's features. But when I get my iPad, the MacBook may end up on Craig's List.

Therefore, tethering is a non-issue for me. I am going to opt for the iPad 3G so that no matter where I go I have a fair shot at connectivity without having to find a McDonald's or Starbucks. Apple has a product/option for most needs. Buy the one you need, don't complain about the ones you don't.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

What they meant was connecting to a phone that is serving as a hotspot. The newer android phones can do that.

Right, but they were discussing iPad 3G. Why worry about tethering that to a 3G phone? It's got it's own. Maybe I'm missing something? Really, not being sarcastic or bitchy, just want to know.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    evanslsevansls Posts: 12member
    i don't want to tether my iphone to my ipad. i want my iphone to broadcast like a hotspot. screw cables... that's for the weak.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

First argumentative post and it has to be a reply to me. I thought for once someone might agree.

Yes, it is part of Apple's product strategy to limit a first gen product. Then they come out with a better one for less money. That's why I started visiting this site. To try to know when it's safe to "pull the trigger" on something new.

Do you mean to suggest Apple is delibertly withholding tethering on the ipad so I'll buy the next one that will have it?

Not exactly, because the iPad comes in two flavors. I don't see why you would need to tether if you got the 3G model.

Okay, I was argumentative. But you pulled my chain when you used expressions like "walled garden" and such. I was just genuinely perplexed when someone like you, a Mac guy, would use the same language employed by the haters who visit the site. That's all. Let's be friends.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoNameJim View Post

Fifty bucks says that by the time this thread is done, half the posts will be about wifi hotspotting and not bluetooth/USB tethering. (two very different things from a technological standpoint)

Ignoring differences like max transfer rates and power consumption, I don't really care if it is WiFi hotspotting or Bluetooth tethering. I always have my iPhone with me. It would be nice to use that (either via BlueTooth or WiFi) so I can access the internet whilst out and about with a regular WiFi only iPad instead of having to pay more to get a 3G iPad and another data plan.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Right, but they were discussing iPad 3G. Why worry about tethering that to a 3G phone? It's got it's own. Maybe I'm missing something? Really, not being sarcastic or bitchy, just want to know.

Yeah, I don't understand the big deal, either. The whole point of the 3G iPad was to have connectivity almost anywhere with the cheap pre-paid plans, not to tether them to an iPhone. Since I got the iPad 3G, I'm not using the iPhone for internet anyways, so the reduction in iPhone data plans is a good deal. Tethering makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I checked my usage and I'm at about 500 Mb a month and I consider myself a power user. But I don't download movies or stream to the iPhone, so maybe I'm not as much of a bandwidth hog.

If people who use it that much are being capped, I say more power to AT&T. It'll free up bandwidth and make the network work that much smoother. If you say, fuck AT&T and go to Verizon of wherever, right on. The network will unclog even more.

*Sigh* Streaming videos and music is being a hog? It amazes me that people don't know who the data hogs are actually are. It's not the people who are just using over 2GB/month. It is the person who jailbreaks their iPhone, tethers it to a laptop and then proceeds to watch 720p/1080p content on their laptop. They are the people who are using 30GB+/month. If you want to see them go over to Howard forums.

I guess it's not ok now that you can stream Pandora over 3G since AT&T said so and they carry the iPhone. Just wait and see what happens to your bandwidth usage once 4.0 is introduced and there is multitasking.

To all others I suggest you follow another someone ele's post, jailbreak and then use MyWi to connect to the iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

You're missing the point. AT&T is saying that you will use more data by enabling tethering -- they even come right out and say it:

Quote:

You're going to use more data so the price is based on the value that will be delivered.

So it doesn't make sense to give you a $20 feature that ENCOURAGES you to use more data than the regular smartphone user, then cap you at the same 2GB as everyone else. It's ridiculous.

THAT is my issue with this whole thing. It's the principle of the matter. Me personally, I don't even come close to touching 2GB:

• Reply 37 of 88
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,499member
    AT&T lies, and apparently has Apple by the balls!
  • Reply 38 of 88
    I already tether my iPhone with my iPad. Just jailbreak it and use MyWi. http://www.macdaddynews.com/?p=2784
  • Reply 39 of 88
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Are they discussing the iPad 3G? I thought they were discussing tethering any iPad (including Wifi only versions of the iPad) to an iPhone so we can access the internet using iPhone's 3G connection.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The whole tethering debacle with AT&T is a clusterf**k now, and I don't know how ANYONE can be happy with it.

1) AT&T gives you 2GB to work with for $25 [OK, fine]

2) AT&T charges you an extra $20 a month for "official" tethering [OK, fine]

3) However, even though you are paying extra for tethering and AT&T even says that those who tether use more data, they still cap you at the same 2GB as those who don't tether [*&^$ YOU AT&T!]

DUDE: If you do not like the plan, don't use it. If you don't like the iPhone, stop using it. If you don't like Apple, stop buying their product.

But DON'T use the word SHOULD. That is a judgement call and which one of us is to say whose judgement is correct...

Unless there is an absolute truth, of course.