iPhone 4 lines at Apple stores grow as early deliveries arrive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Suckers. FedEx just dropped mine off. Activated without a hitch. It's so freakin fast compared to the 3G. And the screen lives up to the hype. It's like looking at print.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

It's sad how devote people are to a company, who at the bottom line have the best interests of shareholders first and foremost.

And 12 months from now they'll stand there again as the lust for the next phone ensues...and we'll be reminded 12 months from now just what we were missing with the iPhone 5 and how dated the technology of the iPhone 4 will be.

What I really question is when does Apple break this yearly cycle? It can't go on forever due to network capacity constraints/over-saturation/etc.

I don't think it's sad. If they are shareholders, then they are being loyal to themselves.

And why would Apple want to break this yearly cycle? Sure, they had some system issues this year, but I'd say that pretty much epitomizes the kind of problem any company would like to have.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

True, to many geeks it is befuddling that some people actually seek out public interaction.

People standing in those lines aren't doing it just for the new phone. They're also there for the excitement, attention, and socialization. For some, perhaps even most, the phone is secondary, even if they don't realize it.

For example, people don't attend concerts just for the music. People don't go to restaurants just for the food. People don't go to theaters just for the movie. It is the entire experience which is compelling.

Standing in line for maybe a few hours is one thing. Standing in line overnight seems more like a cry for help.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    What sucks is AT&T is not releasing the iPhones even though they have them for us that pre-ordered, so now I have to go and wait in line AGAIN tomorrow, to get the phone. They say thats a restriction set by Apple, but then why the F is Apple sending them directly 1 and 2 days ahead. BS is what I say!
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

What sucks is AT&T is not releasing the iPhones even though they have them for us that pre-ordered, so now I have to go and wait in line AGAIN tomorrow, to get the phone. They say thats a restriction set by Apple, but then why the F is Apple sending them directly 1 and 2 days ahead. BS is what I say!

Don't blame AT&T for that. The Apple stores ain't gonna release your phone to you a day early either.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Personally, I would never wait in line for something that I could get shipped to my home. But I can understand the fun of the anticipation, camaraderie, etc. That is why people go to a movie debut at midnight when they can just go at lunchtime the next day.

Agreed. I have already confirmed delivery of my iPhone, prior to 10:30 AM this morning, one day early. Just have to finish my work day. FedEx tracking is experiencing difficulty, as noted on the FedEx home page. Sure glad I did not do that silly reservation option! Don't care to wait in a line when FedEx can deliver it to my home.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Why did you order it through AT&T when you could have pre-ordered directly from Apple and had it delivered to your home?
  • Reply 48 of 74
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    "Your iPhone Activation Session Has Expired"

Thanks ATT, you have screwed it up once again and your incompetence will become the story of the day.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Standing in line for maybe a few hours is one thing. Standing in line overnight seems more like a cry for help.

A cry for help were the fools that camped out for a week to get tickets to the Star Wars prequels! Those people needed to get lives!
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

I have my new iPhone4, but as you probably have guessed, ATT's ability to do anything right is going to be the story of the day. Once again their database is overwhelmed. Who would have guessed that could have happened and thought about preparing ahead of time?

ATT is the BP of phone networks. What an awful joke.

Boo hoo! So wait a few hours. Do you think any other cell provider would be able to handle the load of the iPhone? Same thing would happen if Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint had the iPhone. The activation servers can handle only so much, regardless of the carrier.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why did you order it through AT&T when you could have pre-ordered directly from Apple and had it delivered to your home?

The website wasn't working at the time, and AT&T store is right around the corner. I could have had it shipped to my home, but wasn't given that option, so my question is what's the fricken difference if it's at the store vs my house. Why can't I come get it. This would reduce the lines tomorrow.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Guaranteed news coverage.

Don't see that kind of force for Android!

However, I am glad my phone showed up at my door 10 minutes ago even though FEDEX website said it was at the sort facility.

Yeah I wanted it shipped to me but could never get through the crashed pre-order system so I had to reserve one at my local store. I just don't get this if you have a phone reserved why get there so early they are going to hold it for you all day, I just don't understand all this camping out overnight thing, makes no sense to me if you can reserve one at the store.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Bullshit.

Prove it to me by meeting in the dark alley behind the Blue Oyster Bar tonight at 11 p.m. so I can see it for myself. Don't mind my two friends.

Police Academy movie reference? I think I've never read everything there is to read on the internet.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Im hearing on the news that some AT&T customers are being allowed to pick up their phones in California, so i jumped on a support chat with AT&T to see what they had to say.

Here's what I went through, and some people wonder why I don't like AT&T.

Anoop L: Welcome to AT&T Premier Support. I am reading your question and will be right with you.

Anoop L: To clarify, you want to know when you can pre-order your new iPhone 4. Is that correct?

Paul: no, I've ordered it already and it's come in today, I want to know why I can't go get it.

Anoop L: I'd be more than happy to assist you with this.

Anoop L: iPhone 4 will begin arriving this week for customers who pre-ordered. We will send an email when each order has shipped.

Paul: I have gotten the notice already that it shipped, and it's at the store now, but they said I cant pick it up till tomorrow

Anoop L: Alright.

Anoop L: Its because of iPhone 4 is not lunched till yet, It will be lunched on June 29, 2010. After that you can pick your iPhone 4.

Paul: What? Where are you getting this information. AT&T customer support doesn't even know the dates of the iPhone 4 release. Can I speak to a manager. Official release is Tomorrow the 24th.

Paul: My phone is at the store right this very minute.

Anoop L: Yes, you are correct, it has released today, however, iPhone 4 will begin arriving this week for customers who pre-ordered. We will send an email when each order has shipped.

Paul: Are you listening to me? MY PHONE HAS arrived. It's at the store RIGHT NOW. I want to know why I can't drive down there and pick it up. Clearly you are not the right person to be speaking with.

Paul: thank you

Anoop L: AT&T retail representatives will begin calling customers this week to let them know their iPhone 4 is available for pick up in the store.

Anoop L: Have I resolved your concern today?

Paul: not even close.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

At least learn what 'troll' refers to before using it.

One who tries to Provoke a response in an internet forum like this my friend.

It clearly worked.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Boo hoo! So wait a few hours. Do you think any other cell provider would be able to handle the load of the iPhone? Same thing would happen if Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint had the iPhone. The activation servers can handle only so much, regardless of the carrier.

What a lame excuse, maybe you get away with that kind of lazy "everybody else screws up so why not me", but not me.

If you worked for me and said that, I'd fire you on the spot.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Quote:

For me, I won't be home tomorrow, and I didn't want to have them leave it on my front porch. if they would have let me deliver it to work, I wouldn't have gone for pickup.

It's really too bad you can't get it delivered to another address...
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A person is not a troll because you disagree. Also, I think antkm1 is right. It is by many measures a very nice product, but when you can have it delivered, is it really worth camping overnight in a concrete jungle for one?

I wasn't disagreeing with the camping out, personally i don't think it's worth it, but each to their own. I only quoted the last part of the sentence which had trollish overtones.

You either think the iPhone 4 is a significant improvement over the previous version or you think the improvements are trivial.

Take your pick.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You either think the iPhone 4 is a significant improvement over the previous version or you think the improvements are trivial.

A bona fide opinion or not by the OP, if it not backed up by supporting points and seems geared to provoke an indignant response then I can easily see it categorized as trolling.

I argue the iPhone 4 is the biggest change in smartphone HW since the original iPhone and don't see how it's in anyway trolling. The original iPhone had a high ppi for its announcement back in 2007. It was small and powerful from rfined engineering, and made with expensive and unique materials compared to the rest of the industry. With the iPhone 4 this has been taken to a new level I don't think anyone else can match for some time. A 326ppi IPS display, a milled frame, super thin yet powerful, and using an ARMv7 chip that is designed to be optimized for iOS instead of just having the OS optimized for it.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I wasn't disagreeing with the camping out, personally i don't think it's worth it, but each to their own. I only quoted the last part of the sentence which had trollish overtones.

Take your pick.

It's a significant improvement, but is it really worth taking vacation or sick time to buy one rather than just get it delivered and save that time for something else? Either way, you get the device. If you want to hang out with Apple fans in person, there are user groups out there. I say keep the vacation time and use it on an actual vacation, even the best phone available (which it is currently), just doesn't seem worth that.