Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    ________
  • Reply 42 of 51
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

i think facetime is ridicules waste of time.

I for one don't want to see the other person I'm talkin to!

Sorry Apple!

Good, then don't use it. Nobody cares
  • Reply 43 of 51
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    You know, it is pretty telling that Apple's own Mac OS X 10.6.4 does not support Facetime in iChat, so it's of little use, and ONLY over WiFi. What a joke -- no other implementations of Facetime from anyone, not even Apple's Macs.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Apple employees will never have seen so many penises in their lifetime.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

If Skype has any sense about them they will work feverishly to integrate facetime into their apps and service. If this takes off with other hardware manufacturers it will quickly outpace Skype as the best way to video chat with friends and family. If they can update their app to support it they will keep their loyal customers and gain a few that don't want to buy a new phone but like the idea of video chatting with family who have the hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What I think Apple is doing with FaceTime is a trojan horse to pull all power from the carriers thus making them basic service providers, not cellphone companies who offer data. If they can market FaceTime correctly and get others to join the fray with this open standard they can later allow devices running the FaceTime protocol suite to connect to each other over an IP network that doesn't have to be based on video, as a subset of these protocols can be used for only voice (eg: SIP), text, or basic data files.

Yes it puts Skype in a difficult position. The forums over there are alive with iPhone Skype users who are irate that Skype hasn't released an update so that the app can be used in the background. People are especially upset that Skype actually demoed it working flawlessly earlier. They were planning on releasing a version that if you wanted to use Skype on your iPhone, you had to pay yet another subscription fee to Skype (but not on any other phones of course). Now that Apple has released Facetime and it seems to work so well according to the reviews, I think it has put a real dampener on Skype's plans there. Once FT is available on the desktop and you get a few manufacturers using it, it could be unstoppable!

P.S. If you think there is a lot of negativity here at AI, you should check out the Skype forums some time - so much angst! You'd think they were responsible for the oil disaster in the Gulf.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    It will be Steve Jobs on the other end showing you how to correctly hold the iPhone 4 before your call is cut off.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Yes it puts Skype in a difficult position. The forums over there are alive with iPhone Skype users who are irate that Skype hasn't released an update so that the app can be used in the background. People are especially upset that Skype actually demoed it working flawlessly earlier. They were planning on releasing a version that if you wanted to use Skype on your iPhone, you had to pay yet another subscription fee to Skype (but not on any other phones of course). Now that Apple has released Facetime and it seems to work so well according to the reviews, I think it has put a real dampener on Skype's plans there. Once FT is available on the desktop and you get a few manufacturers using it, it could be unstoppable!

P.S. If you think there is a lot of negativity here at AI, you should check out the Skype forums some time - so much angst! You'd think they were responsible for the oil disaster in the Gulf.

Interesting....

Picture the apple face time agent watching a video of a 'riser pipe' gushing 'large streams of data' into the gulf... Unchecked......

I may need to buy www.facetime.xxx
  • Reply 48 of 51
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yup FaceTime CHAT ROULETTE... Maybe Walt Mossberg will show up!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrhogg#p/u/13/qKQ2z3ki-WY
  • Reply 49 of 51
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I wonder if Face Time will drive the development of a live version of Facebook or Myspace. Folks join these services to communicate about themselves and the new capability could enable new related services.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Facetime seems like a good idea. but it would be great to see ichat AV integration. as well as the ability for other companies like skype, msn and Facebook IM services be able to all work with the camera as well.

also, it would be cool to get an apple tv with ability to plug in a usb cam setup, which could work with this.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    All the customers of Apple became much free to interact with the company directly, since they provided a toll free number for their customers. It helped them in getting a large customer base from different regions and reliability of customers for their company.