Users report issues with iPhone 4 proximity sensor during calls

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    woofpupwoofpup Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Not a problem with mine. Prolly the sensor.

Different ears, heads, and holding positions might affect whether the problem occurs. It doesn't necessarily indicate the problem lies in a defect only with some phones - just only in certain circumstances.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Hhhmmmmm... I think I've had this happen to me too. I was on the phone with a friend last night and my iPhone somehow started dialing digits.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- The original poster who had a problem

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- 10 people who claim that Apple is for babies / idiots / sissies

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.

Touche!

One of the many problems with internet message boards is that they allow people to pretend far too much, and things tend to get blown out of proportion.
  • Reply 24 of 101
  • Reply 25 of 101
    First, MS needed to case-study General Motors (the comparison is obvious and for another thread).

Now it appears Apple should case-study Toyota: i.e. never let your own success lull you into complacency, and never let you own growth rate pull you into shortcuts.

Even if the screen, antenna and proximity issues are only affecting some users, they are all things that should've been caught beforehand. Do we dare say "rushed"?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woofpup View Post

Different ears, heads, and holding positions might affect whether the problem occurs. It doesn't necessarily indicate the problem lies in a defect only with some phones - just only in certain circumstances.

The first day, I thought it was something with AT&T. Calls would just drop without the usual BEEP BEEP drop indication. Then the muting, the speaker and the contacts coming up. Then I realized that my cheek was hanging up the call for me. My cheek has a life of it's own.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Also glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I don't use the actual phone function very much, but did experience this on Saturday. I received my phone delivery on Wednesday, and overall, calling has been fine. With one particular call though, the proximity sensor kept flaking around and I kept entering numbers with my face.

There'd been so much press over the left-hand issue, screens, etc. I hadn't seen any other reports of this before today, so I'm glad to know that I'm not alone, and that hopefully an OS update will fix the problem.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ag101811 View Post

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4027&#11744027

Just reset your iPhone settings

I tried this a few days ago, not working on my phone.

I am using my headset or locking the phone during a call as another poster indicated. This flaw might end up being great, I like not having the cell phone up to my head all day.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    From Daring Fireball:

http://funsizebytes.com/post/7457211...h-boil-down-to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

Anyone want to guess just how many other phones have problems like these?
  • Reply 30 of 101
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    Just today I was using my new iPhone and it just froze. I have never experienced that before. No button would clear. I had to do a forced restart. Interesting.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

From Daring Fireball:

http://funsizebytes.com/post/7457211...h-boil-down-to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

Anyone want to guess just how many other phones have problems like these?

Maybe wrong post, this article is about the sensor. Next article about Nokia.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 33 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Maybe wrong post, this article is about the sensor. Next article about Nokia.

You're right. These threads look so much the same when you're in them.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    yup, also had problems, all calls I made this weekend ended up muted at some point, presumably bc the proximity sensor malfunctioned. When I looked toward the phone while talking I could sometimes see the screen lighting up, then going dark, then lighting up again, etc. without any movement of the phone!

Ok, two issues to watch now; antenna, proximity sensor. Hopefully, they will be both manageable by an iOS update.

Not selling my stock just yet.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're right. These threads look so much the same when you're in them.

Yes, just like iPhone lines. "What, this is not the pre-reservation line???"
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Yes, just like iPhone lines. "What, this is not the pre-reservation line???"

Heh!!
  • Reply 37 of 101
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- 10 people who claim that Apple is for babies / idiots / sissies

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.

In about 30 minutes it'll be:

- 3 people saying "I don't have a problem"

Care of Apple's customer service/damage control department.

When the Superdrive update that was available for about 25 minutes toasted my drive, I had 5 posts deleted from the apple site, and the update unofficially "never happened" in a sort of retcon way.

They'll be able to fix this with a quick update, so it should be swept under the rug pretty quickly, and folks who don't update will discover here or at macrumors that they aren't alone after all...

Try posting about having a problem with the death grip issue on the official apple forum and then try finding your post the next day...
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

In about 30 minutes it'll be:

- 3 people saying "I don't have a problem"

Care of Apple's customer service/damage control department.

When the Superdrive update that was available for about 25 minutes toasted my drive, I had 5 posts deleted from the apple site, and the update unofficially "never happened" in a sort of retcon way.

They'll be able to fix this with a quick update, so it should be swept under the rug pretty quickly, and folks who don't update will discover here or at macrumors that they aren't alone after all...

Try posting about having a problem with the death grip issue on the official apple forum and then try finding your post the next day...

It's a good thing we don't do that here, huh? Complain all you want to.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    hodarhodar Posts: 360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had this happen a few times, too. Something that hasn't been an issue for since the original or 3G (I can't recall).

I will confirm this as an issue with my phone. I cannot say that I've hung up on anyone - because prior to this afternoon I had the antennae issue and not only dropped the call - I lost service because I had the audacity of 'holding my phone wrong'.

However, I have place myself on mute, as well as having accidentally activated the speakerphone function when I'm using the phone normally.

So, chalk up one more (I have an issue) to your list.

I fully expect this to be resolved in an upcoming software patch.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Well between the crappy reception issues and the proximity sensor not working well I don't think I've been able to complete a single call yet on my iPhone 4 without it either hanging up from touching my cheek to the thing simply losing reception. So far it's been a bust for making phone calls...but the data works great and I love the screen.