Radio engineer: Consumer Reports iPhone 4 testing flawed

Comments

• Reply 121 of 193
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All bars are erroneous or, more accurately, relative.

They only inform you of a weaker or stronger signal in relation to other bars shown, based on height. They are even subject to error within that measurement as they are only updated periodically, I think every ten seconds.

I wish Apple would just eliminate the bar display. It doesn't give accurate information and it just clutters up the phone screen with useless "information".

If they hadn't included that useless display in the first place, nobody would be complaining now.
  • Reply 122 of 193
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I'm not discounting the antenna issue. I think Apple DOES have a serious problem here to deal with.

BUT...

Consumer Reports is not and has never been a credible source of information on anything. Allegations of faking tests, fudging data, gross incompetence, and outright malice have plagued them for many years. Anyone who knows anything about cameras, computers, cars, or home audio has had more than one occasion to read a CR article and conclude that these guys have no idea what they are talking about. Their camera articles are particularly hilarious.

CR has angered many manufacturers over the years, but they could not do their job if they were worried about that. I've had lots of issues with CR reviews over the years, and they've gotten more than a couple letters from me when I thought they made mistakes -- but your criticisms are way, way over the top.
  • Reply 123 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I wish Apple would just eliminate the bar display. It doesn't give accurate information and it just clutters up the phone screen with useless "information".

If they hadn't included that useless display in the first place, nobody would be complaining now.

I like that idea. Just list the best data connection type.
    • No Service

• Voice

• GPRS

• EDGE

• HS*PA

• LTE

And for those who want it, allow for a Settings => Network option to show the dB.

But, I doubt neither of these are something would consider.
  • Reply 124 of 193
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    If the Returns/Refunds numbers are high, then maybe it's serious, assuming those numbers are counted after Apple's Fix is provided... If the numbers are high, then the Market Has Spoken!

If Apple's Design was based on people using some kind of cases, then so be it... People are now aware of this issue, and they can buy it, or not, or buy another phone!

Those who keep it, after knowing all this Issue, shouldn't really complain... No product maker can build things based on constantly polling public opinion! They can take it into account, and then it's up to people to vote with their $$...

CR says could have said:

We have confirmed the complaints by small number of users, having tested in the following manner! We have shared our findings with Apple, along with our methodology, and we are looking forward to their response, and ultimately a fix!

For now, we do acknowledge that any case would solve this problem! We'll be looking into which cases we like best, although, it's mostly a question of looks, esthetics, or some specific functions like: best for jogging or diving with.

For those people who can't afford a case, a duct tape on that vulnerable spot would work too!

Other than this reception issue, we find iPhone 4 to be the best Smart Phone available today. But, until this issue is resolved we shall withhold our Recommendation, which is not to say: Don't Buy it.

But, of course, if CR said it that way, it would have been a lot less SENSATIONAL, and it wouldn't have attracted the attention it did! The stunt with the duct tape raises further suspicion as to CR's motives and credibility!

The fact that majority of the buyers are ••• NOT ••• complaining can't be ignored!

CR is yet to defend it's methodology against Bob Egan's article:

http://mobileanalyst.wordpress.com/2...-full-of-crap/ and I've seen others question CR in this case, and previously!

Again - Can't Recommend and Don't Buy are not the same.... In between, there should be Neutral position, just like with stocks! Speaking of which...

I wonder if there is some AAPL stock manipulation involved here...

Also, has CR ever made any products, including phones, and submitted them for review?

If iPhone is so bad, how come other carriers want it?

How come Apple can't make iPhones fast enough, and same with iPads?

Is everyone but CR so stupid?

Why can't everyone replicate this issue? In which case, why is Apple expected to be declaring the same thing every other day, saying that they are working on it... -- Of course they are!!!! When they are ready, they will tell us!

Is CR proposing a SPECIFIC FIX, SPECIFIC REDESIGN? If yes, why don't they SUBMIT IT TO THE WORLD, so that EVERYONE can see how much more BRILLIANT they are than Apple, who created that whole Product Category in the first place, only to be mimicked and copied by others!

The same Verizon that made fun of iPhone, will be the same Verizon that will be singing iPhone's praises when Apple makes a deal with them.

Last I heard was that Verizon said - we are ready when Apple is! They said that after iPhone 4 was already out! So, does that mean that Verizon is more lax, more irresponsible than Consumer Reports? Is Verizon looking to subject their customers to such a terrible product as iPhone 4?

No, The Sky is NOT Falling!!!! The Apple Stock had a minor sell off..., which is a favor to those who have missed it earlier! Even if the worst case scenario occurs, and there is a Recall, iPhone will still be the most desired Smart Phone in the world! That is why there are so many knives out to hurt Apple, and slow it down....

CR should put ALL Android Phones, and all other Smart Phones to the same Test and tell us how those phones do...

But they won't do that..., because other phones are not as Hot News as iPhone is, and therefore it won't get CR much attention, subscribers, income!

As to that Bob Egan's article, CR should publicly defend its methodology!!!

As of now, CR looks like CLICKBAITING PR STUNT GANG, at least in my opinion!!! Tech Swiftboating!!!

And again: to those who don't like iPhone 4 -

Return/Refund, and or build your own phone, and let the whole world test it at least as much as iPhone has been!!!!
  • Reply 125 of 193
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Watching my iPhone 4 go from 5 bars to no service and have the call cut off or the data stop transmitting every time I hold it is all the proof I need.
  • Reply 126 of 193
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

And again: to those who don't like iPhone 4 - Return/Refund, and or build your own phone, and let us look at it!!!!

Return it for what? Another defective iPhone? What about the 2-year AT&T contract?
  • Reply 127 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Watching my iPhone 4 go from 5 bars to no service and have the call cut off or the data stop transmitting every time I hold it is all the proof I need.

Using my iPhone successfully--with better signal strength than I have ever seen in my office, without any kind of case or bumper--is all the proof I need.
  • Reply 128 of 193
    thanosthanos Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Selom View Post

By the way, I think any test that compares the iPhone 4 with any other smartphone is basically flawed because only the iPhone has the antenna on the outside! That is ingenious!

Uhh. my Motorola StarTac phone from, oh, roughly 12 years ago had its antenna on the outside. This is your idea of Apple being ingenious?
  • Reply 129 of 193
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Return it for what? Another defective iPhone? What about the 2-year AT&T contract?

30 Days is the EVALUATION, Customer Satisfaction Period! ATT can't force you into Contract during the

30 Days! Afterwards it's ETF..., I think! I am not sure about their rules! But, 30 Days, No Restocking - that has been confirmed by Apple!

No need to buy another iPhone! Buy any other phone on any other carrier! That would be putting your $$ where you $$ is....

Sorry, I don't mean to insult anyone! But, if you already know that skin contact with that sport is causing you problems that you can't live with, and you refuse to buy a case like most people, who are protective of their equipments, then Return/Refund, and best of luck to you! Maybe you'll be happier with Android, or any other Smart Phone which is yet to be Recommended by CR, "The Voice of God"!

I personally don't like holding phone in my hand when on call, I like handsfree kit... I am yet to pick a case for it that is good for running, nice clip, etc. Maybe I'll get several cases...

I am not gonna sit and touch that bad spot to see if I am having a problem! I am not gonna wait for Verizon sometime in 2011, maybe, only to allow them to steal my UnUsed Minutes (No Carry Over Minutes), and tell me that I can't be on the Phone call and online at the same time, cause their CDMA can't do it, cause they don't want to upgrade to the latest version of CDMA, cause they want to Leap Frog to LTE!

When this whole iPhone insanity dies down, I will be getting mine and Macbook Pro 17', as part of my Big Upgrade, that involves a lot of apps etc. I just need to fit that in my schedule!

People obviously are willing to live with all iPhone and ATT problems, add the rest of the world! That is why Apple can't make them fast enough! Among the recent sales of iPhone 4 there were many who have upgraded! Next year the same folks might upgrade again. Some will give the iPhone 4 to their kids, or keep them as spares, back up! No phone is forever, or is perfect!

If you are not happy, get another phone! Again, nothing personal!!! Apple, like any other company can NOT be expected to re-design, recall their phones for 1-2% of the unhappy customers, every other month! That's why there is 30 Days Return Policy!

The clowns with the ATT/Apple Monopoly Class Action Case knew all along, before they bought iPhones that they can be used only with ATT, and that after 2 years of their contract, they are free to buy any other phone that works with another carrier! They knew that iPhone was exclusive with ATT. How can a judge allow that case to go o is an embarrassment to the USA!

Again, nothing personal to anyone in your position -- Return-Refund! But, fair is fair!!!!
  • Reply 130 of 193
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Bridging the antenna gap so as to make cell phone receiver deaf (or more deaf) would normally cause the output power of the cell phone to go up to compensate, not down. Eg. the cell phone thinks its further away from the tower.

"If what we see in the video is true – the received single strength went down- it would suggest two things; 1) touching the gap is actually making the cell phone more sensitive – not less, or 2) the problem is not a calibration of the signal strength software calibration as admitted by Apple.

3) the signal attenuation from touching the antenna gap applies to both receiving and transmitting, and the iPhone transmitter is unable to overcome this attenuation.

Apple never claimed the attenuation problem was due to software calibration/bars displayed.

Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.
  • Reply 131 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

Um, whatever test they conducted, they also did it with the Pre and iPhone 3GS.

Something's wrong with that phone's antenna and everyone on AI knows it.

I did it myself with my friend's iPhone 4. Dropped the signal massively every time.

Basic physics: if you ground an antenna, it won't work very well.

so, by that logic, touching the antenna ANYWHERE would cause it to not work very well, assuming that you are grounded. Hmmm. Doesn't seem to work quite like that.

High frequency RF is a really squidgy thing. I know enough about the topic to know that I don't know enough about the topic to say anything intelligent, other than that Consumer Reports testing methodology left MUCH to be desired.

Yes, I own apple stock. Yes, I own an iPhone 4. It's an amazing pocket computer, and it works really well as a phone. Fewer dropped calls than with my iPhone 3G, that's for sure.

I will admit that it has a few touchscreen issues, but I really don't know that I can attribute those to the iPhone, because they appear to be related only to particular apps, which makes me think that they might be iOS 4 related issues in older apps.
  • Reply 132 of 193
    I got my phone on June 24th. Two hours after it was unboxed I was dropping calls. The next morning I was on the phone with Apple. Nothing scientific here. No test facility. No calculations, just simple logic...Hold the phone and lose the signal. Put the phone on the desk and talk without any problem and showing 4-5 bars.

The antenna system is poorly designed. I have WiFi issues as well. I bought an Apple Bumper to see if it would solve the problem as everyone claims. It helps but doesn't solve it.

I love Apples products and respected the company. But when I can't complete a call or drop a call, and have NEVER had that problem before anywhere in my house or in my city with my 3GS, but I have all kinds of problems with my iPhone 4...And did before any of this shit became public, then in my book there is a definite design flaw. "Experts" need not apply.

Steve Jobs and Apple need to man-up, step up to the plate, and FIX the problem with a real solution...not some finger pointing about bars, bumpers, or bullshit. $300 for something that doesn't work (this isn't the only issue, on June 25th I also let Apple know that not only was I having reception problems, I was hanging up on people when I finally did have them on the call. I was also muting them, FaceTiming them, and calling other people at the same time because the proximity sensor wasn't working.)

Nothing scientific or imaginary when you are having these problems two days before hearing or reading about them.
  • Reply 133 of 193
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I got my iPHone4 yesterday. It is an understatement to say that it is impressive. Best phone I have ever seen. Love the screen, the camera and the quality. I can drop the bars by touching the infamous spot, so I won't do that. Call quality is excellent. Go Apple
  • Reply 134 of 193
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

Basic physics: if you ground an antenna, it won't work very well.

Wow! What grade did you drop out of school?
  • Reply 135 of 193
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Egan: "[Apple] surely have a s/w issue", but on what scientific basis? Without access to the software, this is pure fantasy.

Egan: "I have not seen CR?s claim directly that the finger effect reduces the iPhones sensitivity by 20db as reported elsewhere, but unless CR connected to a functional point inside the iPhone that number is fantasy"

Stop the fantacizing. Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.

LOL on two counts.
  • Reply 136 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasj106 View Post

I got my phone on June 24th. Two hours after it was unboxed I was dropping calls. The next morning I was on the phone with Apple. Nothing scientific here. No test facility. No calculations, just simple logic...Hold the phone and lose the signal. Put the phone on the desk and talk without any problem and showing 4-5 bars.

The antenna system is poorly designed. I have WiFi issues as well. I bought an Apple Bumper to see if it would solve the problem as everyone claims. It helps but doesn't solve it.

I love Apples products and respected the company. But when I can't complete a call or drop a call, and have NEVER had that problem before anywhere in my house or in my city with my 3GS, but I have all kinds of problems with my iPhone 4...And did before any of this shit became public, then in my book there is a definite design flaw. "Experts" need not apply.

Steve Jobs and Apple need to man-up, step up to the plate, and FIX the problem with a real solution...not some finger pointing about bars, bumpers, or bullshit. $300 for something that doesn't work (this isn't the only issue, on June 25th I also let Apple know that not only was I having reception problems, I was hanging up on people when I finally did have them on the call. I was also muting them, FaceTiming them, and calling other people at the same time because the proximity sensor wasn't working.)

Nothing scientific or imaginary when you are having these problems two days before hearing or reading about them.

That's just too bad. You should replace it with another piece or another phone altogether. I'm hanging on to mine. I have better call quality than my 3GS.
  • Reply 137 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

3) the signal attenuation from touching the antenna gap applies to both receiving and transmitting, and the iPhone transmitter is unable to overcome this attenuation.

Apple never claimed the attenuation problem was due to software calibration/bars displayed.

Dude that line is just hilarious and it keeps popping up in your messages. Why would they do that? So you can obsess over it some more?

You guys need to chill out man. When my iPod didn't work as I thought it should, my next MP3 player wasn't an iPod. Either you return or live with it or move on to another product, there's no sense in thumping your chest demanding a company give you access to low level diagnostics.
  • Reply 138 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

30 Days is the EVALUATION, Customer Satisfaction Period! ATT can't force you into Contract during the

30 Days! Afterwards it's ETF..., I think! I am not sure about their rules! But, 30 Days, No Restocking - that has been confirmed by Apple!

No need to buy another iPhone! Buy any other phone on any other carrier! That would be putting your $$ where you $$ is....

Sorry, I don't mean to insult anyone! But, if you already know that skin contact with that sport is causing you problems that you can't live with, and you refuse to buy a case like most people, who are protective of their equipments, then Return/Refund, and best of luck to you! Maybe you'll be happier with Android, or any other Smart Phone which is yet to be Recommended by CR, "The Voice of God"!

I personally don't like holding phone in my hand when on call, I like handsfree kit... I am yet to pick a case for it that is good for running, nice clip, etc. Maybe I'll get several cases...

I am not gonna sit and touch that bad spot to see if I am having a problem! I am not gonna wait for Verizon sometime in 2011, maybe, only to allow them to steal my UnUsed Minutes (No Carry Over Minutes), and tell me that I can't be on the Phone call and online at the same time, cause their CDMA can't do it, cause they don't want to upgrade to the latest version of CDMA, cause they want to Leap Frog to LTE!

When this whole iPhone insanity dies down, I will be getting mine and Macbook Pro 17', as part of my Big Upgrade, that involves a lot of apps etc. I just need to fit that in my schedule!

People obviously are willing to live with all iPhone and ATT problems, add the rest of the world! That is why Apple can't make them fast enough! Among the recent sales of iPhone 4 there were many who have upgraded! Next year the same folks might upgrade again. Some will give the iPhone 4 to their kids, or keep them as spares, back up! No phone is forever, or is perfect!

If you are not happy, get another phone! Again, nothing personal!!! Apple, like any other company can NOT be expected to re-design, recall their phones for 1-2% of the unhappy customers, every other month! That's why there is 30 Days Return Policy!

The clowns with the ATT/Apple Monopoly Class Action Case knew all along, before they bought iPhones that they can be used only with ATT, and that after 2 years of their contract, they are free to buy any other phone that works with another carrier! They knew that iPhone was exclusive with ATT. How can a judge allow that case to go o is an embarrassment to the USA!

Again, nothing personal to anyone in your position -- Return-Refund! But, fair is fair!!!!

Yup. There's something about Apple that makes people irrational on both sides. Guess that's the proof that their products and marketing evoke an emotional response.
  • Reply 139 of 193
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

so when will you take it back for the full refund?
  • Reply 140 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Firmware will NOT fix a design flaw. It's pretty simple, actually. In an area with poor reception and you decide to lay the iPhone in your palm, you drop the call. Touch the iPhone and you go from having bars - to "Searching".

Now, if there is a software or driver error, that's one thing. We are talking about a 'new' TriQuint chip after all.

The proximity detector essentially 'works' but it needs some tweaking. Firmware should fix that. But the antenna is another matter entirely.

As an aside, when I'm in a weak cell reception area (ie. where I work) I have found that I can get about ~10-12 dBA better reception if I disable the 3G. Don't understand why, but I do know that my phone works fairly reliably with 3G disabled and works poorly with 3G enabled - while I'm at work. At home, I have 5 bars (solid) and the phone works well without regard to 3G enabled or disabled.

dBA you say? How did you measure that? Isn't dBA an acoustic unit, to measure some kind of sound?