Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Best phone I've ever had. And I had the first version of the iPhone before this.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    *Sigh*

• Reply 23 of 47
    I know multiple people who use android and blackberries that would switch to a iPhone if only it was on there carrier. Apple is giving these phones time to catch up by not being on all the carriers.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So I guess we'll have to wait until next month to see how the "concerns" of mainly non-iPhone 4 users stacks up against the satisfaction of iPhone 4 USERS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...

• Reply 25 of 47
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    These comparison's arent exactly fair to Blackberry and other manufacturers because:

1) Blackberry's are often forced upon employees of corporation who do not want these things/want a different phone. I know for a fact as a lawyer, many of us despise our blackberrys as they are ways for our bosses to call us into work guilt free.

2) Many of the manufacturers also manufacture dumb phones and entry level phones that people may not be as satisfied with, just because they are cheap.

That said, every iPhone owner I know loves their phone and every Android owner I know loves their phone as well.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

*Sigh*

Yes, "sigh". Now go back to your hole, troll.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So I guess we'll have to wait until next month to see how the "concerns" of mainly non-iPhone 4 users stacks up against the satisfaction of iPhone 4 USERS.

Yep. I guess so. Pity the writer of the 'article' didn't wait "until next month", or feel it was important enough to point out that the survey pre-dated the antenna issues' widespread exposure though.

That's DED for you. Disingenuous little astroturfer that he is. AI's continued use of the guy seriously compromises any impartiality it might claim. He's incapable of impartiality - if it doesn't make Apple look positive, he won't 'report' it.

As to the satisfaction of the iP4 owner, another poster has suggested that the real measure would be how many owners chose to keep their current iP4 if Apple offered a new unit following a recall.

Would you?

And I'm not actually expecting you to answer that for obvious reasons.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    ...and what sort of astroturfer are you?

Fandroid?

Bottom feeding troll shark joining the feeding frenzy when there is a hint of blood in the water?

The Internet is full of the latter lately.

Quote:

Yep. I guess so. Pity the writer of the 'article' didn't wait "until next month", or feel it was important enough to point out that the survey pre-dated the antenna issues' widespread exposure though.

That's DED for you. Disingenuous little astroturfer that he is. AI's continued use of the guy seriously compromises any impartiality it might claim. He's incapable of impartiality - if it doesn't make Apple look positive, he won't 'report' it.

As to the satisfaction of the iP4 owner, another poster has suggested that the real measure would be how many owners chose to keep their current iP4 if Apple offered a new unit following a recall.

Would you?

And I'm not actually expecting you to answer that for obvious reasons.

• Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

...and what sort of astroturfer are you?

Fandroid?

Bottom feeding troll shark joining the feeding frenzy when there is a hint of blood in the water?

The Internet is full of the latter lately.

Interesting.

I responded to your points and you're only offering insults in return? My opinion of DED is borne out by facts. If you can show me an 'article' where he is actually critical of anything Apple, then I will agree that I'm a bottom-feeding troll shark astroturfer. Fair enough?

Meanwhile, I'll put your response to me down to you being temporarily irrational owing to the overwhelming criticism Apple has been getting here lately, as well as further afield. I won't take it personally. Unless you insist that I do, because you actually mean the things you wrote about me?

Your call.

And in case you missed the news, I bought a 3Gs today and so far it's working like a champ. Just saying...
  • Reply 30 of 47
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I don't really remember blackberry ever being cool. Maybe I'm too young but I always knew they were a great business tool, but not a personal device of choice. That was either razr or sidekick before the iPhone came around.

I think there is a section of the population (in most developed countries) that is attracted to the Blackberry because they associate it with some form of business success (because in the early days only senior people at businesses had one). Cool is not quite the right word may be "status enhancing". But this would only be for that section of the population that considers business success generates status.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

And I'm also happy for you and however many other satisfied iP4 owners post their confirmations here. And after spending as much as you have, I'd certainly hope so.

However, my post was pointing out that the info cited in DED's piece is a poorly disguised attempt to pour oil on the troubled iPhone waters, as he was using a report that pre-dates the iP4 hullabaloo, to promote the phone's satisfaction rating. I doubt very much that it's anywhere near as high now.

Do you really believe that some large fraction of the new owners, who were so eager that they spent a day fighting a broken reservation system at Apple and then waited for hours in line to get the first iPhone 4's, will now conclude it was all a mistake because some small fraction might need to use a case to get the best reception in a marginal area?
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Most of the criticism around the web, comes from people who don't even have the iPhone 4, have no intention of getting an iPhone 4 and attack anything that remotely suggests that this issue really does not affect those who actually have an iPhone 4 all that much.

There is no data to say what percentage of the millions of iPhone 4 users are affected by this.

It takes time to collect and collate such data, hence the delay in publishing the results which form the basis of this article.

Quote:

Interesting.

I responded to your points and you're only offering insults in return? My opinion of DED is borne out by facts. If you can show me an 'article' where he is actually critical of anything Apple, then I will agree that I'm a bottom-feeding troll shark astroturfer. Fair enough?

Meanwhile, I'll put your response to me down to you being temporarily irrational owing to the overwhelming criticism Apple has been getting here lately, as well as further afield. I won't take it personally. Unless you insist that I do, because you actually mean the things you wrote about me?

Your call.

And in case you missed the news, I bought a 3Gs today and so far it's working like a champ. Just saying...

• Reply 33 of 47
    Also a very happy ip4 user! No complaints as well as all my friends who have it as well

All these bandwagon hopping haters can suck it.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...

And here I am another very satisfied user of my iPhone (3G) and eager to buy the iP4 with or without antenna fix as soon as the rollout in my country starts. My benefit of this silly fuzz about the antenna issue is very simple: The iP4- supply issue may be a little bit to my favor now.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Do you really believe that some large fraction of the new owners, who were so eager that they spent a day fighting a broken reservation system at Apple and then waited for hours in line to get the first iPhone 4's, will now conclude it was all a mistake because some small fraction might need to use a case to get the best reception in a marginal area?

Nope. I don't think so at all. And I haven't a clue how you even came to such an unrelated conclusion from what I wrote. I'll guess that you didn't actually read it, and you just assumed it was an attack on Apple. The survey was taken before people had time to discover for themselves that they had an antenna flaw. The subsequent discussions alerted people to the possibility that their phones might be similarly affected so people, including people on this very forum, tested their own phones. Perhaps even you did?

My point is stated above so I won't repeat it.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Most of the criticism around the web, comes from people who don't even have the iPhone 4, have no intention of getting an iPhone 4 and attack anything that remotely suggests that this issue really does not affect those who actually have an iPhone 4 all that much.

There is no data to say what percentage of the millions of iPhone 4 users are affected by this.

It takes time to collect and collate such data, hence the delay in publishing the results which form the basis of this article.

And I'll repeat that Daniel Eran Dilger is the biggest Apple suck-up on this good Earth and he'll lob anything he can scratch up to try to discredit anyone who utters anything remotely critical of Apple. This out of date survey is a classic example of his attempt at damage control on Apple's behalf. I would hope that most here would have learnt by now that his 'articles' are nothing more than Apple-defending spin, but apparently not.

However long it took to get the report out the door, DED knew that it was outdated before he sat down to compose his sycophancy, but he used it anyway and never disclosed the fact it was out of date. If I hadn't looked at the original report, you wouldn't know it and neither would the posters above who gleefully tell us how satisfied they are.

Thanks DED for another biased load of irrelevant spin.

I never claimed any percentages and I'll leave that to people more skilled than I.

Put me in the group of folk who won't be getting an iP4 until I know this issue is either nothing or has been fixed. Otherwise, let's see what the iP5 looks like.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

And here I am another very satisfied user of my iPhone (3G) and eager to buy the iP4 with or without antenna fix as soon as the rollout in my country starts. My benefit of this silly fuzz about the antenna issue is very simple: The iP4- supply issue may be a little bit to my favor now.

Then I am also very happy for you. Enjoy your iP4 with or without antenna fix when it's rolled out. And enjoy whatever other benefits the noise-making "haters" and "whingers" have wrought on your behalf while the apologists just rolled over.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    There is a reason the iPhone has what is likely the most dropped calls in the industry, and it is not just that AT&T sucks. It is because there are a lot of people using iPhones who probably shouldn't be. They know they get horrible AT&T coverage where they are, but they use AT&T anyway because they want the iPhone. With other carriers, people who do not get adequate Sprint, Verizon, or T-Mobile coverage don't use those carriers. But people will leap past better coverage on a different network for the express purpose of getting an iPhone. Lord knows my house is an AT&T dead-zone. But I would rather have an iPhone that drops calls in my house than anything else with great reception. I am by no means, alone.

Rather than trying to find ways to poke fun at the iPhone, competitors would be better served trying to understand why so many people love the iPhone, want an iPhone, and are very satisfied with it once they get one. Android is in second place, but it is such a distant second, it should be a different category.

This is why even iPhone 4 users are no doubt, just as satisfied as all other iPhone users. People know when they are in a marginal area and are not surprised by the fact that they do not get great reception. Heck, people have been holding their nose on the AT&T part of the deal since day one. iPhone 4 users who do actually make calls with their phones instead of just post about dropping bars with the death grip, actually get the same or better reception than with any other iPhone. Anyone hoping to make a career on reducing iPhone 4 satisfaction over this issue had better be a damn good juggler.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    I like the iPhone but iPhone 4 isn't the best phone I've had. Some phones I've owned five years ago had better voice calls than I currently get with the iPhone 4. It isn't terrible bad but it isn't optimal either. I will be watching Friday to see what Steve has to say about the antenna issue. And yes it is an issue when you build an antenna out of steel (which is conductive) as an outer band that you know human skin will touch (which is also conductive).

I am troubled by Apple's insincere responses thus far to a design flaw that Steve called genius engineering.

1. The call bars have been calculated wrong since 2007 and that will be addressed in iOS 4.1.

My thought - So my 4-5 AT&T bars at home have been miscalculated. Now I have to put up with a possibility of worse AT&T signal because Apple (known for being very detail oriented) was surprised their call bar calculations were not up to the suggested specifications of AT&T. So they are now going with the AT&T suggested calculation method? So Apple was basically deceiving their customers up to now because they knew AT&T had poor coverage...that is disheartening to me, to say the least.

2. The call bars will be bigger in iOS 4.1.

My thought - With the new Retina display they now think making the bars bigger will provide a sense of security? That is a slap in the face to my intelligence, Apple...

I would like to hear counterpoints about my misgivings to the above. How can you possibly spin this in a positive view? I am on the fence at this point. If Steve responds yet again with indifference to this issue I will likely return the iPhone 4, cancel my AT&T contract (and demand the ETF be waived) and wave goodbye to smartphones for a while. At this point I am starting to feel very ripped off by both cell phone manufacturers and carriers...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    You can go to another site if you don't like this one.

Quote:

And I'll repeat that Daniel Eran Dilger is the biggest Apple suck-up on this good Earth and he'll lob anything he can scratch up to try to discredit anyone who utters anything remotely critical of Apple. This out of date survey is a classic example of his attempt at damage control on Apple's behalf. I would hope that most here would have learnt by now that his 'articles' are nothing more than Apple-defending spin, but apparently not.

However long it took to get the report out the door, DED knew that it was outdated before he sat down to compose his sycophancy, but he used it anyway and never disclosed the fact it was out of date. If I hadn't looked at the original report, you wouldn't know it and neither would the posters above who gleefully tell us how satisfied they are.

Thanks DED for another biased load of irrelevant spin.

I never claimed any percentages and I'll leave that to people more skilled than I.

Put me in the group of folk who won't be getting an iP4 until I know this issue is either nothing or has been fixed. Otherwise, let's see what the iP5 looks like.