Apple rumored to release iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone today

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If, at the same time, they could release an iOS 3 downgrade for iPhone 3G owners (v4 is too slow on this model) it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    If, at the same time, they could release an iOS 3 downgrade for iPhone 3G owners (v4 is too slow on this model) it would be greatly appreciated.



    i know a few people who definitely agree with you. sadly, if you want a speedy os, you need to buy an iPhone4. i doubt Apple will allow a downgrade that will keep people from purchasing new hardware and making them money.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Store.app.com is showing 5-7 days for delivery on the bumpers.



    I could see Apple announcing at the press conference Friday that the software update will correct the software aspect of the antenna issue and that either free or significantly reduced (currently an obscene $29) bumpers will correct the hardware aspect.



    Apple has a lot of room to move on the bumpers; I can't imagine their cost is more than $2 or $3 a unit. I think they'll either send everyone who has already bought an iPod 4 a free bumper and include bumbers with new sales or drop the price to $5 and let everyone who has already bought one have a credit for the difference.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A new rumor has stated that Apple will release an iPhone software update in the form of iOS 4.0.1 on Thursday, a day before the company has scheduled a press conference to talk about the iPhone 4.








    Apple would never let us down. This is right on schedule.



    The real question is whether the haters will admit that this fixes the "problem".
  • Reply 25 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    i know a few people who definitely agree with you. sadly, if you want a speedy os, you need to buy an iPhone4. i doubt Apple will allow a downgrade that will keep people from purchasing new hardware and making them money.



    Yeah, I know it's an old phone, but I use my iPad for apps now, so the phone is really just for email, IM, occasional web. Would be a waste to upgrade.



    The fact that they disabled some features on the 3G should have been a hint that it would be at best borderline acceptable performance, but I took a leap of faith. Unfortunately I think they made the wrong call and iOS 4 should have minimum system requirements of a 3GS.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post


    Store.app.com is showing 5-7 days for delivery on the bumpers.



    I could see Apple announcing at the press conference Friday that the software update will correct the software aspect of the antenna issue and that either free or significantly reduced (currently an obscene $29) bumpers will correct the hardware aspect.



    Apple has a lot of room to move on the bumpers; I can't imagine their cost is more than $2 or $3 a unit. I think they'll either send everyone who has already bought an iPod 4 a free bumper and include bumbers with new sales or drop the price to $5 and let everyone who has already bought one have a credit for the difference.



    \



    You're right though. I don't think those bumpers could even cost $2 to make.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Yeah, I know it's an old phone,



    the 3G was released "brand new" 24 months [and 4 days] ago.

    some 3G owners only bought their phones 13 months ago. that's not very old.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    the 3G was released "brand new" 24 months [and 4 days] ago.

    some 3G owners only bought their phones 13 months ago. that's not very old.



    Well it depends how many "phone years" there are in a "human year" :-)
  • Reply 29 of 50
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Apple has something up their sleeves. All of you naysayers are about to feel so stupid when the SOFTWARE update comes out and Steve comes out on Friday to announce that it has been completely fixed.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    i hope this addresses some of the dog slow reduce responsiveness of my 2 iphone 3g

    wish i could go back to 3.x till i get my new iphone 4's this late fall.

    hope hope hope



    +1 to that sentiment. I've been rebooting my iPhone 3G every few days to keep the performance at a reasonable level. Any time the music player starts to stall or internal apps (such as the web browser) start to crash I know it is time for another reboot. This leaves me to think iOS 4.0 may have a memory leak which is really apparent on the 128MB devices.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post


    \



    You're right though. I don't think those bumpers could even cost $2 to make.





    They are highly precision. They are made of at least three different materials, all blended together to work perfectly. They are engineered to last as long as the phone itself.



    Generally, products cost about 25% of the retail price to manufacture. Keep in mind that Apple also has distribution and retail costs. Those Geniuses are not cheap!



    All the other cases cost at least as much as the Bumper, and those companies don't have the expense of running retail stores. I don't understand why people attack Apple for making such a nice accessory!
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post


    Signal strength is losing 20-30 db by applying a death grip. Funny how they "disabled" field test mode



    Try to stay in reality dude, this is total BS you've written here.



    In the first place, the figure going around is 20 db, not 30 (you just made that part up), and the people that originated the claim have already been soundly debunked. The signal *doesn't* drop by 20db "just by holding the phone" and no one ever claimed it dropped by 30 db at all.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    the 3G was released "brand new" 24 months [and 4 days] ago.

    some 3G owners only bought their phones 13 months ago. that's not very old.



    Huh, see these phones are aging very fast nowadays. I have my 3G upgraded too, and it was rather unresponsive after that. A complete shut down and reboot helped a lot but it didn't really reach the swiftness it use to have. But WTH I just wanted to see some of the new features. And more importent I couldn't wait for the iP4 rollout in my country. Pure impatience.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    What?



    But talking about iOS 4 when will the iPad get it?



    Yeah really. Why can't the give us 3.2.1 to add folder creation to the iPad now? I have such a need for folders it isn't funny.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    They are highly precision. They are made of at least three different materials, all blended together to work perfectly. They are engineered to last as long as the phone itself.



    Generally, products cost about 25% of the retail price to manufacture. Keep in mind that Apple also has distribution and retail costs. Those Geniuses are not cheap!



    All the other cases cost at least as much as the Bumper, and those companies don't have the expense of running retail stores. I don't understand why people attack Apple for making such a nice accessory!



    Thanks for saying this. I don't know why people keep slamming on the bumper case either. It's probably a sociological thing because it's completely illogical.



    Even if it's true that their margin is 85% (which is the rumoured figure for all cases of this type), all the other case manufacturers are in the same boat. The iPhone has been around for four years and cases have always cost roughly 20-30 dollars from almost all manufacturers. Supposedly 75% of all customers put their phone in a case also (not sure why there are that many that feel the need).



    It makes no sense at all to be totally fine with four years worth of 30 dollar cases from all the other manufacturers, but then be pissed off at Apple (and *only* Apple apparently), for making a $30 case of their own.



    People just want to find something to hate Apple over is all. Sour Grapes, Jealousy, Perverse love, whatever.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post


    Yeah really. Why can't the give us 3.2.1 to add folder creation to the iPad now? I have such a need for folders it isn't funny.



    Folders, Bah!



    I have totally given up on organising the icons on the iPad at all. What's the point when they all rearrange every time you turn the device? So far this is one of my biggest disappointments with the iPad, since it is just one of the many things that makes it almost impossible to use the iPad for any serious computing.



    I admit I still like it as a reader, movie thing, and (especially) a comic book reader, but as a real computer that you can use to do stuff on like writing for example... not so much.



    The iPad is exactly as useful a computer as an iMac running 10.1 was when that came out. Looks good, fun to use, easy to see a bright future ahead etc., but for the moment, basically a tech demo more than a useful computer.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    For all of you who want to go back to iOS 3.1.3, one of the sites posted a How-To on it.



    I know my iPod touch 2G is slower, but I put up with it for the new features - mainly folders and the universal inbox.



    But, it sucks the battery life down by half. THAT is why I'm seriously considering going back to iOS 3.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post


    Store.app.com is showing 5-7 days for delivery on the bumpers.



    I could see Apple announcing at the press conference Friday that the software update will correct the software aspect of the antenna issue and that either free or significantly reduced (currently an obscene $29) bumpers will correct the hardware aspect.



    Apple has a lot of room to move on the bumpers; I can't imagine their cost is more than $2 or $3 a unit. I think they'll either send everyone who has already bought an iPod 4 a free bumper and include bumbers with new sales or drop the price to $5 and let everyone who has already bought one have a credit for the difference.



    I think you're on to something. Here's my take:



    Here's what I think:



    Apple, unlike CR, is going to come out with a detailed fact sheet comparing every single phone out there in terms of reception, hand position, etcetera. They are going to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that the antenna in the iPhone 4 is superior to anything else out there when the phone is held in a certain way, and is at least the equal of anything out there when the antenna is covered. They are also going to acknowledge that the addition of a bumper will enhance the ability of the phone to "hold" a signal.



    And then they are going to offer a free bumper guard to anyone who wishes one in order to ensure that the iPhone will always give the best possible signal of any cellphone.



    IMHO.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Folders, Bah!



    I have totally given up on organising the icons on the iPad at all. What's the point when they all rearrange every time you turn the device? So far this is one of my biggest disappointments with the iPad, since it is just one of the many things that makes it almost impossible to use the iPad for any serious computing.



    I admit I still like it as a reader, movie thing, and (especially) a comic book reader, but as a real computer that you can use to do stuff on like writing for example... not so much.



    The iPad is exactly as useful a computer as an iMac running 10.1 was when that came out. Looks good, fun to use, easy to see a bright future ahead etc., but for the moment, basically a tech demo more than a useful computer.



    You DO realize that you can "lock" the iPad in positon so that it doesn't "rotate" when you turn it, don't you? And you DO realize that what "fits" in landscape can't possibly fit in portrait, don't you?



    Or maybe you can rotate your computer and it automatically adjusts the icons for you.



    But if you think it's such a big deal, you should make an app that "sorts" the icons in some predetermined manner. Then you can actually turn this "problem" into an "opportunity".
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I'm not sure they're going to try and defend themselves this time. It's time for them to own this. That is the same thing any respectable company would do at this point, and let's be honest....that's what Apple is.



    http://whatsnottaken.wordpress.com/2...rence-7152010/
Sign In or Register to comment.