Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 286
    msb0014msb0014 Posts: 28member
    Did anyone notice Steve Jobs said (in the Q and A) that the Apple Campus has both AT&T and Verizon Antenna's? Would that mean they are using those towers to test Verizon capable iPhones? Did he slip...?
  • Reply 22 of 286
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Reports show that experts at Apple were very opposed to the idea, any other company would of ditched it and made the phone thicker.

You must be talking about the Bloomberg article which Jobs and Ruben, the engineer, completely denied.

"any other company would of ditched it and made the phone thicker."

Your attitude is exactly what prevents innovation. You have to be able to take risks to move forward. By Apple demanding smaller, better, thinner parts (glass, processors, batteries), it allows other companies to follow to bring the cost down over the long haul. Apple gets branded as the innovator (and expensive), others are followers.
  • Reply 23 of 286
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Did anyone notice Steve Jobs said (in the Q and A) that the Apple Campus has both AT&T and Verizon Antenna's? Would that mean they are using those towers to test Verizon capable iPhones? Did he slip...?

I'm pretty sure they have admitted to testing phones on other networks before.
  • Reply 24 of 286
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Apple is giving away free cases because nothing is wrong.

Right.

No, Apple is giving away free cases because they thought it's the only way to shut pieholes of whining babies who claim Apple doesn't care about the (FEW, FEWER THAN THE INDUSTRY AVERAGE) people who said they have problems.

It didn't work. You are the most obvious proof of that....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You're giving it away too easily. Rule 1 to trolling: sell it like you believe it.

Sounds to me you are the one trolling here... However exaggerated his reaction was, he wasn't spewing out Gizcrap like you did up there...
  • Reply 25 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

We do know that Fortune reported that BMO had surveyed 25 AT&T stores and only 11 iPhones had been returned as of a few days ago. That confirms that the number of returns is small.

Now, if you have any evidence that they're lying or that the number of returns (or even complaints) is large, feel free to provide it.

LOL, still posting that bogus survey that has no stated methodology. Why do you state "as of a few days ago". That flawed report has no date of when that small flawed survey took place. So how can you say "as of a few days go" ? Also, those numbers really mean nothing until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period, since some people were probably waiting for a fix from Apple. Bad, flawed evidence = no evidence. It's funny how much you post about this flawed small survey.
  • Reply 26 of 286
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    It's actually the room used to punish engineers who lose prototype phones.

• Reply 27 of 286
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Looks like the boys have a lot of fun with those facilities.

All we consumers need for our own testing is to have Field Test Mode restored in the next iOS 4 update.
  • Reply 28 of 286
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

First!

Now, we can recap what we've learned from this:

1. All the analysts who chimed in on this don't know anything and can safely be ignored in the future.

2. In spite of hard data that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, the press managed to blow this up into a huge fiasco. Beware of sensationalistic junk you read in the press.

3. In spite of significant data that there's no problem, Apple once again stepped up with an extra to try to make customers happy. And then got criticized by the whiners...

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"

5. All the reports of 'massive' 'universal' problems were grossly exaggerated. Do not believe that kind of hype.

The only reality here is you are living ni a fantasy world. Apple doesn't hold a press conference and then give something away for free to 3 million iPhone owners if there isn't a problem.

The only real problem is instead of fixing the core issue they decided to give away a rubber bandaid. You shouldn't need a case even a free one for your phone to work correctly.
  • Reply 29 of 286
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Exactly. How many people would waste their time calling Applecare when most people know about the issue, know that Apple is already aware of it, and are just waiting/hoping for a fix. Why call Apple on a known issue. I bet if everyone who is experiencing more dropped calls, low data rates, etc, actually called Applecare, those numbers would be a great deal higher.

This is ridiculous and circular logic. The same statement can be made about any flaw in any product and it will be just as meaningless.

Even if the AppleCare calls represent a sub-set of the full set of annoyed people, it would still be a fixed percentile and the number that called AppleCare would still be representative of the problem overall. One can literally *never* get "hard numbers" on these kinds of things but taken together, the low return rate, the low complaint rate, and the low rate of people that experience the problem are clearly indicative of the general "reach" of the problem.

Hint: It's very very small.
  • Reply 30 of 286
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

It's actually the room used to punish engineers who lose prototype phones.

Good one. And I like the new slogan for ATT (post 4.0.1 software update):

....."ATT has Less Bars in More Places!

And Apple's new entreaty ........"No Bars in Redwood City - EVER
  • Reply 31 of 286
    I'm happy with my iphone Not a bit of signal loss, actually significantly better reception and everything else than my 3gs. I just really wasn't happy with the fact that the apple store ONLY carried the apple bumper and NO screen protectors. I want a cover that covers and protects the back. They actually directed me to go to Best Buy to buy my case.

When I got my 3Gs there were 30+ case options at the apple store and screen protectors and that was only a month after the 3gs release, similar timing as to when I got my iphone 4 from it's release date....
  • Reply 32 of 286
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

No, Apple is giving away free cases because they thought it's the only way to shut pieholes of whining babies who claim Apple doesn't care about the (FEW, FEWER THAN THE INDUSTRY AVERAGE) people who said they have problems.

It didn't work. You are the most obvious proof of that....

Sounds to me you are the one trolling here... However exaggerated his reaction was, he wasn't spewing out Gizcrap like you did up there...

No, Apple is giving out free cases because you see, a case would keep your skin off the two pieces of metal, which when bridged, causes the connection to deteriorate. It's those stubborn rules of physics.

I'm calling it like it is. It's people like you who are being obnoxious, trying to downplay this whole thing and castrate anyone who actually is having the issue.

Have you read ANY of my other posts on the issue? Or did my making a valid point really tick you off THAT MUCH that suddenly I'm just spewing out "Gizcrap"?

BTW, SendMe has already been called out for being techstud by MANY other people. Posts like the one I responded to give it away. You're a fool for being duped.
  • Reply 33 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The only reality here is you are living ni a fantasy world. Apple doesn't hold a press conference and then give something away for free to 3 million iPhone owners if there isn't a problem.

The only real problem is instead of fixing the core issue they decided to give away a rubber bandaid. You shouldn't need a case even a free one for your phone to work correctly.

You aren't good at logic are you?

The "problem" that caused them to give away the bumpers is their customers weren't going to be satisfied with anything less. That customer service "problem" has no bearing at all on whether or not there is a hardware problem.

I wish the people who still think something is going on here would either shut the hell up or make a single logical argument that blows away all the stuff we just heard from Apple. There was some (typically Apple), slanting of the data but only a bit and the conclusion is inescapable nonetheless.

As far as I can see the conference was a slam dunk and the facts of the matter are rather unassailable. I say, come up with proof that Apple is lying or STFU. Hypotheticals about their possible motivations (as you imagine them to be), don't count.
  • Reply 34 of 286
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

First!

Now, we can recap what we've learned from this:

1. All the analysts who chimed in on this don't know anything and can safely be ignored in the future.

2. In spite of hard data that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, the press managed to blow this up into a huge fiasco. Beware of sensationalistic junk you read in the press.

3. In spite of significant data that there's no problem, Apple once again stepped up with an extra to try to make customers happy. And then got criticized by the whiners...

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"

5. All the reports of 'massive' 'universal' problems were grossly exaggerated. Do not believe that kind of hype.

Note: Blinded By Fanaticism
  • Reply 35 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Looks like the boys have a lot of fun with those facilities.

All we consumers need for our own testing is to have Field Test Mode restored in the next iOS 4 update.

The average user has no need for that option though so it's really not likely to happen. Better to buy an app that gives you the same info.
  • Reply 36 of 286
    Hello People Out there,

I'm usually part of those who keep their mouths shut when it's not necessary to open it ; but watching the bull that just delivred to us Steve Jobs (whom I admire otherwise) led me to think that we should all participate to something that may make him go 360 on what he said :

How about we all take 2 min of our time and call APPLECARE and tell them how bad the Antenna is ... just so that their know the real number of unsatisfied people..

what do you say ? shall we all do it throughout the world ?
  • Reply 37 of 286
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    That chamber looks sick!
  • Reply 38 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You aren't good at logic are you?

The "problem" that caused them to give away the bumpers is their customers weren't going to be satisfied with anything less. That "problem" has no bearing at all on whether or not there is a hardware flaw in the phone.

I wish the people who still think something is going on here would either shut the hell up or make a single logical argument that blows away all the stuff we just heard from Apple. There was some (typically Apple), slanting of the data but only a bit and the conclusion is inescapable nonetheless.

As far as I can see the conference was a slam dunk and the facts of the matter are rather unassailable. I say, come up with proof that Apple is lying or STFU. Hypotheticals about their possible motivations (as you imagine them to be), don't count.

Wait a second. "People who still think something is going on here"? There are people with a genuine issue with their phone. The free case is Apple's solution. The issue has been documented numerous times with video so people can see for themselves what's happening.

The only thing ridiculous about this discussion is how extreme the two sides are being. Yall are pretty much going from "There's nothing wrong" to "the phone is broken" when in reality, it's the middle ground: "There's an issue that doesn't affect everyone."

I'm starting to wonder if those people who are attacking others with this issue have some money vested in Apple stock, and that is keeping them a little bias on the issue.
  • Reply 39 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is ridiculous and circular logic. The same statement can be made about any flaw in any product and it will be just as meaningless.

Even if the AppleCare calls represent a sub-set of the full set of annoyed people, it would still be a fixed percentile and the number that called AppleCare would still be representative of the problem overall. One can literally *never* get "hard numbers" on these kinds of things but taken together, the low return rate, the low complaint rate, and the low rate of people that experience the problem are clearly indicative of the general "reach" of the problem.

Hint: It's very very small.

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just waiting on a response from Apple before their trial ended. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin. Let's see the return rates a few weeks from now. Those will be more meaningful.
  • Reply 40 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just wanting on a response from Apple. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin.

It also doesn't help when articles start coming out saying the issue can be fixed via software. I know when that POS the Samsung Instinct came out, many people got suckered in past the 30 days because of the same line about how the issues would be fixed with an update. What an absolute disaster that was for Sprint. What's funniest about that was the phone got some "best of the year" award at an event it was first shown at.

If people are convinced the issue will be fixed with no effort on their part, they'll stick with the phone, ESPECIALLY something as cool as an iphone4. Hell, I barely use my phone to talk, so I'd be one of those who didn't think twice about not returning it.