Apple plots new strategy to target small businesses through retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I noticed on my first visit that my veterinarian has their office set up with iMacs. While the service and care I receive is most important, in the back of my mind I remind myself that I have never, ever lost data to a mac. Many times on "that other system" but never on a mac. So, I rather like the idea that one of service providers uses a system that protects my information from loss. I like that, and is another (secondary) reason to go back to them.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    It would be hard to justify the extra cost if all you're doing is running Office and some accounting packages.

For those simple functions a $400 Dell PC is going to do the same job as a $1199 iMac. Spread that across 20 or 30 PCs and the extra cost is going to bite.

I'd love to see a $299 iOS based iMac preloaded with Office software and a nice UI to run roaming profiles off a Mac mini server. Any Windows apps could be run from a remote VM session on the server.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

They are going to sell a lot of minis and mini servers.

Agreed. If you are business that does not really require windows software, this is a great machine. The problem is that a hair cutter or a bar really don't need a comp for anything other then their accounting/financial needs, and for that you still need Windows. Sure you can stick windows on top of a mini, but you can get Dell's Zino HD for cheaper.

I would say an iPad would be much more small business friendly, as a bar can use it to help bartenders remember recepies and look up new ones. A haircuttery can showcase their hairstyles. You can always take payment with it as well.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A classic case of looking through the wrong end of the telescope. You have no idea about the growing number of small business people out there - doctors, consultants, real estate agents - who are realizing that there are a universe of apps out there to help them become more productive and profitable, and that it comes with a hardware and software ecosystem that they can use with minimal support, crashes and other traditional afflictions. This is a sales process that will be customer-driven. Providing engineering and installation support at the retail level supplies the missing link for local businesses. Compare it to the effectiveness that Best Buy has achieved with Geek Squad in home entertainment system installation. Haven't heard anybody extolling the sterling charisma among Geek Squad staffers. In fact, Best Buy gains a marketing bonus with its tongue-in-cheek deprecating name for the service.

I have been a Mac consultant since 1993. I don't think I'm looking through the wrong end of the telescope. I certainly do have an idea of the opportunity that exists.

I was referring to Apple's retail track record of making initiatives like this that go nowhere.

Consider MacWorld. Apple at one time brought servers and engineers that I could talk with. They stopped that years ago and went pure consumer. Now they want to attract businesses...again.

Apple sponsors an organization called Apple Consultants Network. Ever hear of it? Probably not. Neither have most people. Another of Apple's well-kept secrets. ;-)
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

In many cases the PCs in business simply run Outlook Express and Internet Explorer (6) and they could easily be replaced. However, there are many PCs running XP and some specialized software, e.g. dental systems and the like. I wonder if Apple could come up with some super smart software that would allow a developer to recompile their code to run on a Mac (and perhaps even iPad) allowing say the dentist to convert painlessly (I am avoiding any jokes there lol) to an Apple hardware based solution and still run the same software (I specifically mean avoiding VMs).

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. "In many cases the PCs in business simply run Outlook Express and Internet Explorer" ?????

I am sorry but Apple is never going to make any headway in this market, outside of business owners that are total Apple Fanboys that are willing to ditch better software solutions just so they can run OS X...stupid move. Or photo/video/marketing shops that are heavy users of Apple software. In the second case they are probably on Apple gear already.

Small business customers use so many Windows programs that work for their industry that have NO OS X version, or alternative. Even when there is a Mac version, it usually sucks. Example, Quickbooks, the Mac version is missing so many features its not even funny. Quickbooks alone is probably used by 60% of small buisnesses or more.

iPad's and iPhone's are cool, but there is a reason that 1 million PC's are sold everyday, and the business world is dominated by Windows applications.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It is not just technology that is needed to be addressed. They also need people who understand the needs of specific sectors -- retail, service, health (this is a big area with various categories, e.g., hospitals, clinics, health care agencies, doctors, etc.), biotech, and many others. Each has specific business needs that must be addressed in a more holistic manner.

CGC

Good post. I would add "how to leverage the iPad in the medical field".
  • Reply 27 of 75
    My company is a business of 30, and I have to work with OS X server daily. OS X server is in need of someone to polish a lot of the rough edges. It could be great, but it seems it suffers from not having enough attention paid to it.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

It is not just technology that is needed to be addressed. They also need people who understand the needs of specific sectors -- retail, service, health (this is a big area with various categories, e.g., hospitals, clinics, health care agencies, doctors, etc.), biotech, and many others. Each has specific business needs that must be addressed in a more holistic manner.

I was talking to the business rep of Apple in the Bolyston Apple Store in Boston, and he was not really as well-versed with the "trends" in some of the healthcare categories. This is big in the metro Boston area.

It is unlikely that Apple could really hire any signle or a few employees attached to an Apple Store to be an expert in all business sectors though. However, in each metro-area, there are small businesses that focus on Apple products (although not limited to Apple sometimes) that attempt to provide similar services to specific sectors in the metro area.

I understand from previous reports that Apple has not been cultivating or strengthening its ties to these local resources. For example, when force to choose between Best Buy, Walmart and these small businesses (providing Apple-centric technical and business support to local businesses), Apple tended to favor the big retail outlets when it comes to the release of new products. This is misguided because it is these local Apple-centric technical and business support centers that truly knows the needs of the local target business sectors. It is these local support centers that the small business sectors are likely to turn to for advise.

Thus, while Apple should indeed continue to develop its local Apple Store based group to address the needs of local businesses, it must strnegthen its ties with existing local Apple-centric technical and business support centers. The other advantage of this collaboration is that Apple need not have to establish a huge sales division to reach out to the specific needs within each metro area.

CGC

Excellent points!

The process of cultivating, selling and supporting businesses (especially small businesses) is very different than selling computers for home/personal/school use and selling consumer electronics,

Apple could address this by hiring and deploying a direct sales force-- but this would take several years to put in place and is antithetical to Apple's culture.

I suspect that Apple would achieve better results by:

-- establishing a senior VP of business/enterprise* marketing, sales, support

-- filling that job with an individual with a proven track record and reputation

-- having a minimal headquarters staff-- to deal with the front line (see below) and to vie for resources with other corporate entities

-- Apple's front line Business Reps would be at least 2 (preferably more) employees in each store- with appropriate training or background in small business marketing, sales and support

-- these people will vie for retail resources (training facilities, repairs, etc.) and

-- be the public "Apple Business" face to the local and surrounding communities.

The real front line, as you mentioned above is existing businesses focused on Apple product and services.

* I use business/enterprise because many large corporations have smaller divisions or offices that operate semi-autonomously as small businesses.

The local Apple Store Business reps need to cultivate these 3rd parties-- inform them what Apple is planning/doing (their plans, gasp), send referrals their way, and support them.

One simple way for Apple to find referrals (to give to these third parties) is:

Every retail rep is instructed to ask the customer as part every iPhone, iPad, Mac sale (except first-day-of-issue crowds);

Apple Retail Rep: "What do you plan to do with your new iPhone, iPad or Mac?

Customer: "I am going to.........

Apple Retail Rep: "Do you plan on using if in your job, company, business.......

Based on the customer response:

Apple Retail Rep: "Apple has set up a new organization to better service businesses. If you like, I can have a rep call you to determine your special needs and what Apple can do to satisfy them..."

Then follow up, Dammit! If you cultivate an individual within a business, you can often extend that to the business, itself. You have an inside salesman-- one of the best resources in the world.

The Apple Business Reps should Publicly reward the Apple Retail Reps with the most business referrals.

The "inside salesmen" are rewarded by supporting them to the hilt, so they, and Apple are successful within the business.

The Apple Business reps should be making cold calls on local business and referring them to 3rd parties, where applicable-- at the very least they will identify potential Apple business customers.

That'd be pretty good for starters!

• Reply 29 of 75
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    If Apple is having trouble meeting consumer demand how do they plan on meeting that demand PLUS enterprise? Build some in U.S?
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Just curious, is the whole suite of business software (with comparable functionality as their Windows counterparts) already available in OS-X? Doesn't have to be the direct OS-X port of the PC software, just something that offers the same functions. No, I don't know what makes up the 'whole suite' that's why I ask.

I thought rather than cost, it's software availability that is holding back Macs for biz.

At the very least, that can be addressed for most apps by running Parallels or some other virtual machine. This need not be off-putting! Often their can be advantages using Macs with some VM Windows apps. Lower cost of ownership, lower support costs, ability to do Mac things that PCs don't do well or cost more to do.

• Reply 31 of 75
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

I have been a Mac consultant since 1993. I don't think I'm looking through the wrong end of the telescope. I certainly do have an idea of the opportunity that exists.

I was referring to Apple's retail track record of making initiatives like this that go nowhere.

Consider MacWorld. Apple at one time brought servers and engineers that I could talk with. They stopped that years ago and went pure consumer. Now they want to attract businesses...again.

Apple sponsors an organization called Apple Consultants Network. Ever hear of it? Probably not. Neither have most people. Another of Apple's well-kept secrets. ;-)

Allow me to agree with you again. I'm hopeful that Apple is more serious this time around, though. I think they see their opportunities in business to have expanded.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I am sorry but Apple is never going to make any headway in this market, outside of business owners that are total Apple Fanboys that are willing to ditch better software solutions just so they can run OS X...stupid move. Or photo/video/marketing shops that are heavy users of Apple software. In the second case they are probably on Apple gear already.

Clearly you have a point of view and are trying hard to fit the facts to match it! You cannot hide the fact that many small businesses have already switched and more are switching all the time. Sure, there are holes in the available software for business, and some businesses have no interest in change. That being said, however, there is no denying that I am seeing more and more offices using Macs every year. 10 years ago, it was rare. 5 years ago it was uncommon. This year it is hardly noteworthy.

Quote:

iPad's and iPhone's are cool, but there is a reason that 1 million PC's are sold everyday, and the business world is dominated by Windows applications.

Yes! That reason is called momentum. But, this is not a frictionless world, and momentum only lasts so long... MS has definately list it in the eyes of many...
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Everyone has their own definition of small business. In the eyes of the government, depending upon the class of the business (service, manufacturing, etc.) , a small business has fewer than 250, 500 or 1000 employees.

That doesn't fit with the creative class's definition, where small ad agencies, design shops, marketing firms, new media collaboratives, etc. often fall into the 15 to 50 employee range growing easily to 100 to 150 in good times.

When Apple thinks "small business," many of us have to accept the fact that we're not included. I've got 15+ Macs humming around an OS X server and my attempts to develop a relationship with an

Apple Store business rep have always fallen flat. No surprise there. I don't generate that much sales volume on an annual basis. Frankly, I'd rather purchase through Apple online than deal with the throng of iPhone owners lined up to find out why their "xyz" doesn't work at the Apple Store or play phone;/schedule tag with a local rep for gladhanding sessions. I've received business based discounts by dealing with Apple Store phone reps in the past when buying 4 or 5 CPUs at a time. Somewhere in the system I'm identified as a business customer.

I'm with the crowd that says that this sounds good, but won't change much.

gc
  • Reply 34 of 75
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I wonder if this includes the POS solutions Apple now uses internally at their retail stores. As someone who has set up a Windows POS, I'd like to see Apple's approach.

(yes, I realize Windows POS is funny since it could be taken other ways.)
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. "In many cases the PCs in business simply run Outlook Express and Internet Explorer" ?????

Small business customers use so many Windows programs that work for their industry that have NO OS X version, or alternative. Even when there is a Mac version, it usually sucks. Example, Quickbooks, the Mac version is missing so many features its not even funny. Quickbooks alone is probably used by 60% of small buisnesses or more.

Mmmm... what part of Fortune 100 do you fail to comprehend?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...companies.html

• Reply 36 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Shame you didn't read past the first paragraph. I specifically stated many PCs are used for specialized software. That was the point I was making, Apple needs to help software developers migrate specialized software to really make large in-roads in business and not rely on VMs

Having said that the number of businesses I come across that still run XP and use nothing but OutLook Express and IE (and yes some even version 6) plus some old QuickBooks is astounding!
  • Reply 37 of 75
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    This is a good strategy. We have two Apple stores pretty close to our office. At one, if a laptop drive say goes out and I go to the genius bar they are so busy with iphones that they don't care that as a business we need the computer to be looked at ASAP instead of scheduling us a day or two out. The other has a business consultant who will work us in around the other appointments. Needless to say we now always go to the second store because of this business consultant and we spend a lot more money there too as he has a chance to show us new products, push the mac mini server etc. As to the software debate going on, I suspect that developers are taking note that Apple is selling so many Macs and if they want to get in on the action, they will need to write their software for mac (isn't there a rumor that MS is looking to bring Outlook to the Mac?)
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I wonder if this includes the POS solutions Apple now uses internally at their retail stores. As someone who has set up a Windows POS, I'd like to see Apple's approach.

(yes, I realize Windows POS is funny since it could be taken other ways.)

Yeah, Originally the acronym was POST for Point-Of-Sale-Terminal or Transaction.

I worked on a POST back in 1971-1972, when I worked for IBM. It was for Safeway Supermarkets and consisted of terminals at the checkouts and a minicomputer in the back room. They would upload/download data nightly between the store and Safeway headquarters in Oakland. Today's iPhone or iPod Touch could replace/augment the checkout terminal and there would be no need for the back room mini.

We installed a pilot system in the Flagship Safeway store in Fremont CA. We serviced 2 checkstands out of 12. Interestingly, the customers would wait in line to go through the POST checkouts, because they got an itemized receipt (with product description).

I tend to use the older form to differentiate it from that other POS.

Seriously, I believe Apple will market this solution to small businesses-- it would be a great Flagship product for their "Business/Enterprise" organization.

One would need to be very closed-minded not to recognize the potential for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch is small business as POSTs, restaurant menus, medical charts, etc.

Here's a proof of concept I did a while ago for that shows how a fast food chain could process orders on a $200 POST. No training required, it's as easy as one, t-t-t-t-two, three!

• Reply 39 of 75
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

I was talking to the business rep of Apple in the Bolyston Apple Store in Boston, and he was not really as well-versed with the "trends" in some of the healthcare categories. This is big in the metro Boston area.

Well said. Anyone who has traveled down this path has probably had a fairly frustrating experience. I don't mind explaining to them what I need to do and why, so much as sometimes it feels like you are fighting with them. For example, the local folks in the Portland, OR metro area still do not understand that I MUST use the dreaded XP at my day job, mostly due to proprietary apps written just shy of the stone age. When I present my problem, usually with VMware Fusion, they immediately try to tell "Well, you know you can use [insert Apple software product here] and I look at them with the "not if I intend to get past the IT gatekeeper, I can't" glare.

Once upon a time the Business Unit at Apple had their own offices, were well-versed in trends, etc., but that was many, many moons ago.

Nowadays, they are mere Retail shadows of their former selves, but I keep hoping that will change.

PS: I lived in Western MA from 1980 to 1988. So how is Beantown these days? Does Richard still own the independent Mac shop in the same area (Boyston St) or is it long gone?
  • Reply 40 of 75
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Let's take your food concept a step further. If Apple released their own version of the HP TouchSmart line (aka touch screen iMac) I envision a scenario where you're at a restaurant with a touch screen at your table which allows you to order and pay for your food using a MTO style setup like Sheetz/Wawa. All the server would have to do is bring out the food and address customer concerns. All of your account info would be stored on the server so payment would be as simple as entering a username and password, just like online shopping.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, Originally the acronym was POST for Point-Of-Sale-Terminal or Transaction.

I worked on a POST back in 1971-1972, when I worked for IBM. It was for Safeway Supermarkets and consisted of terminals at the checkouts and a minicomputer in the back room. They would upload/download data nightly between the store and Safeway headquarters in Oakland. Today's iPhone or iPod Touch could replace/augment the checkout terminal and there would be no need for the back room mini.

We installed a pilot system in the Flagship Safeway store in Fremont CA. We serviced 2 checkstands out of 12. Interestingly, the customers would wait in line to go through the POST checkouts, because they got an itemized receipt (with product description).

I tend to use the older form to differentiate it from that other POS.

Seriously, I believe Apple will market this solution to small businesses-- it would be a great Flagship product for their "Business/Enterprise" organization.

One would need to be very closed-minded not to recognize the potential for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch is small business as POSTs, restaurant menus, medical charts, etc.

Here's a proof of concept I did a while ago for that shows how a fast food chain could process orders on a $200 POST. No training required, it's as easy as one, t-t-t-t-two, three!