Users report Bluetooth connectivity, quality issues with iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    I had the problem of getting into my car and the phone never making the connection. Didn't have the problem with my 3GS. I fixed it by deleting the pairing from the phone AND the car, then made a new pairing. Works fine now, with my iPhone 4 and 2007 Acura TL.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

Are you saying you don't have connection problems, or not problems at all? I'm having problems when someone calls and I try to use my bluetooth headset. They can barely hear me. Extremely annoying. Back on my old 3G (not upgraded to 4.0 yet), it still works fine. At this point, I can't use my headset to talk on the phone. Terrible sound quality.

Well you just made a petty good summary of 99.9% of the bluetooth headsets on the market.

I recognize you may have some additional problem, but all bluetooth headsets are inferior to Apple's earbuds.

Matt
  • Reply 43 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That being said, I just want a fix for this flippin' proximity sensor issue.

The simplest workaround for the time being is to press the "lock screen" button after you picked up the call.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Now this is one problem I am having. On my 3G, i had no problems with it connecting to my Pioneer FH-P8000BT stereo. Get in the car and a minute later the phone had connected with the phone portion of the stereo and the separate audio portion of the stereo. The stereo allowed me to not use a sync cable, instead playing back music over the BT.

After i installed iOS4, the phone would no longer connect. I had to delete the profile from the stereo and make a new one, each time I started the car!

I finally gave up on iOS4 and backed it out of my phone. Surprise, the phone and stereo started syncing right back up each time I started the car.

So there is something in iOS4 that is causing an issue, even if Apple won't admit there is.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Are you saying you don't have connection problems, or not problems at all? I'm having problems when someone calls and I try to use my bluetooth headset. They can barely hear me. Extremely annoying. Back on my old 3G (not upgraded to 4.0 yet), it still works fine. At this point, I can't use my headset to talk on the phone. Terrible sound quality.

Maybe the secondary noise cancelation mic is trying to work even when using headsets and ends up messing it up? I hope not. Would be a real bad move.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sad but true. By the way they fixed a lot of bugs too, it's just that it added more than enough to make up the difference.

I don't use BlueTooth so I can't really comment on it. However iOS 4 has all the appearance of software that was rushed into production. No doubt that running iOS 4 on a 3G just makes the issues more visible. Then again some of the performance issues there are very likely due to bugs.

In a nut shell Apple needs to do better!!!

Dave

No problems here with bugs so far!

Was using bluetooth to tether my iPhone 3 Gs to my MBP ( yes we have done that here in Canada for over a year on Rogers ) and worked flawlessly under iOS4! Stayed connected for hours on a moving sailboat!

Apple has done good by me!
  • Reply 47 of 71
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Some people are concerned. I was using a Bluetooth stereo headset on my 3G. I noticed, when I switched over to the new phone, that it hadn't brought the pairing with it. I redid the pairing. Since then, everything has been hunkydory.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:

I have the exact same problem with my headset. It happens about 20% of the time. For the record, I'm using the official Sony PS3 headset with my iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutterboy View Post

I have a 2008 BMW 650i.

Nice car. I'm jealous of you, sir.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Maybe the secondary noise cancelation mic is trying to work even when using headsets and ends up messing it up? I hope not. Would be a real bad move.

If true (which I doubt it is), it would be bad. However, it would also be a rather easy fix since turning off the secondary mic on a bluetooth call can easily be implemented via a software update.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkraider View Post

You might not be experiencing a problem because you never are connected to WiFi and BT and then hit that "edge of the WiFi service" area while also using your BT device. (Maybe).

Well, I do have a scenario where I'm actually connected to WiFi and BT. Every morning when I leave for work and get in the car, the phone quickly connects to the car while still in range of the WiFi. As I drive away and leave the range of the WiFi, I haven't noticed any loss of the bluetooth connection with the car. Additionally, I've been on calls on numerous occasions when arriving home and entering WiFi range. I've never been disconnected from the car (via BT) when re-entering WiFi range and connecting to the WiFi. As a side note, I'm connecting to my Airport Extreme via G not N. For some reason when I'm connected to WiFi via N, getting or sending mail via my MobileMe account would slow to a crawl. I finally found a temporary solution by only connecting to my WiFi via G (my Airport Extreme is dual band).

Just to double check, I just got in the car with my phone, called my house and drove away while talking to my wife. I did not lose the BT connection with my car (2011 BMW 3 series with iDrive) when I left WiFi range and the phone display switched to "3G". I drove down the block, turned around and came back home. While still on the phone via BT, I waited for the WiFi to reconnect and when it did, my call (and connection) continued without interruption. One last bit of info, I have the "request to connect to wireless networks" turned off. I found it really annoying to constantly tell the phone not to connect to wireless networks as I drove down the street (as a passenger).
  • Reply 50 of 71
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    No BT/WiFi problems encountered so far. I use a Jawbone BT (2nd gen) almost constantly and other than having to remove and re-pair once, my BT connection has been rock solid. I run with WiFi on most of the time and move into and out of WiFi connections several times a day. My spouse is running iOS4 on a 3Gs with a 1st gen Jawbone and WiFi and has not indicated any issues either.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, I do have a scenario where I'm actually connected to WiFi and BT. Every morning when I leave for work and get in the car, the phone quickly connects to the car while still in range of the WiFi. As I drive away and leave the range of the WiFi, I haven't noticed any loss of the bluetooth connection with the car. Additionally, I've been on calls on numerous occasions when arriving home and entering WiFi range. I've never been disconnected from the car (via BT) when re-entering WiFi range and connecting to the WiFi. As a side note, I'm connecting to my Airport Extreme via G not N. For some reason when I'm connected to WiFi via N, getting or sending mail via my MobileMe account would slow to a crawl. I finally found a temporary solution by only connecting to my WiFi via G (my Airport Extreme is dual band).

Just to double check, I just got in the car with my phone, called my house and drove away while talking to my wife. I did not lose the BT connection with my car (2011 BMW 3 series with iDrive) when I left WiFi range and the phone display switched to "3G". I drove down the block, turned around and came back home. While still on the phone via BT, I waited for the WiFi to reconnect and when it did, my call (and connection) continued without interruption. One last bit of info, I have the "request to connect to wireless networks" turned off. I found it really annoying to constantly tell the phone not to connect to wireless networks as I drove down the street (as a passenger).

That is very interesting. That is the exact behavior that should cause the disconnect.

My AirportExtreme is only G band - but also it happens when I connect to any WiFi, even in other locations, and I doubt they are all using AirportExtreme. And I also have the wireless network request box turned off (I too found it annoying).

Perhaps your hands-free device is better handling the burp that the iOS causes? Maybe the WiFi drop on the phone causes iOS to send some sort of weird BT signal which some BT devices don't like, but others just ignore it.... We get the drop on both a vehicle built in BT system and on a Motorola BT earpiece. I have some Motorcycle bluetooth headsets coming in tomorrow, and I will see if it happens with them too (only really for my curiosity - as like I said, it is already a known bug with a pending fix).
  • Reply 52 of 71
    I had problems with WiFI after updating my 3GS to iOS4 and the Setting Reset fixed it. Have had a better time with my Bluetooth headset after the iOS4 update. It's an Etymotic Research etyBLU unit. Before the phone had issues switching to Bluetooth with some calls. No problem since.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

I recently got a new BMW and I have a bluetooth related problem with my iPhone 4. My car uses bluetooth for the phone and a dock connector to play music/control the ipod. When I answer a phone call and then end it music will no longer play when connected to the dock connector. I have to restart the phone to get music to start playing again.

EDIT: Thought I should add a little more clarity. The car stereo thinks it's playing music. I can move through the tracks, start playlists, etc. But I get no sound.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutterboy View Post

By the way, regarding this current bug that occurs with BMW iDrive integration. You don't have to restart the phone to fix the problem. You just have to choose a different artist or playlist and the problem corrects itself..

I also recently got a new BMW (2011 3 Series with iDrive) but don't have the problem you describe (or at least I don't recognize it as a problem). Basically, like you, I have my iPhone 4 connected via BT for phone functionality and via the dock connector (with the supplied USB adaptor that came with the car) for music. While listening to the music from the iPhone 4 and I receive, answer and end a call, the music is paused when the iDrive system returns to it. Simply muting and un-muting the audio via the volume knob on the dash will resume the music where it was stopped before the call. I don't lose the connection with the music as the iDrive shows the progress of the track in terms of elapsed time as well as a bar display. The time noted before the call is the same afterwards and un-pausing the playback is all that is needed (in my situation anyway). This is why I say I don't recognize it as a problem. Cutterboy's solution works because selecting a new artist or playlist (and track) achieves the same end result.

I believe it has something to do with a potential conflict between the car's audio system trying to pause the music as well as the phone's own programming to stop audio playback when a call is received. If you think about it, when you're using the phone via the supplied headphones and listening to music, an incoming call will pause music playback. By the same token, if you're phone is connected to the car via BT but you're using a separate iPod for music and receive a call, the music gets paused. So the car stereo is also pausing the music playback. The difference is, when using a separate iPod, the car automatically un-pauses the music. Somewhere therein lies the problem. For now, a quick mute/un-mute resumes music playback.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkraider View Post

Perhaps your hands-free device is better handling the burp that the iOS causes? Maybe the WiFi drop on the phone causes iOS to send some sort of weird BT signal which some BT devices don't like, but others just ignore it.... We get the drop on both a vehicle built in BT system and on a Motorola BT earpiece. I have some Motorcycle bluetooth headsets coming in tomorrow, and I will see if it happens with them too (only really for my curiosity - as like I said, it is already a known bug with a pending fix).

You're right, if Apple has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix, then all this testing is just for our own curiosity. I do have a BT headset I can try but for me it's a non issue as I almost never use it. I can also try my wife's 3G (running 3.1.3) to see if anything happens there. I probably will tomorrow morning as I am curious.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    I seem to get consistently weaker cellular signal since iOS 4 on my 3GS - or is that somehow due to all the new iPhone 4's out there?!
  • Reply 56 of 71
    hoodyhoody Posts: 2member
    I find it hard to believe all these people are happy with their bluetooth connection when only play and pause functions are currently enabled. What about the skip forward or back function ? Doesn't anyone feel this is a gaping omission that could probably be added to the OS in one afternoon at Apple ?

Am I missing something here, or does track skip work for all of you ??
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoody View Post

I find it hard to believe all these people are happy with their bluetooth connection when only play and pause functions are currently enabled. What about the skip forward or back function ? Doesn't anyone feel this is a gaping omission that could probably be added to the OS in one afternoon at Apple ?

Am I missing something here, or does track skip work for all of you ??

Personally, I don't use the BT audio feature, so it makes no difference to me. My Pioneer head unit (a DEH-P7900BT) does support BT audio, but it is much lower in quality than the direct iPod connection the head unit also provides. I used my 3G once via BT audio and it didn't support track skipping either. In my other car (the BMW), it doesn't support BT audio anyway. Not that you would want to use it if it did as the iPod control via the iDrive is very good.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I seem to get consistently weaker cellular signal since iOS 4 on my 3GS - or is that somehow due to all the new iPhone 4's out there?!

Since 4.0 or 4.0.1? If it's the latter, then you have your answer.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    iPhone 3GS plus Audi Allroad bluetooth connectivity working as usualy: without any issue.

All my iPhones friends say the same: no issues.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    FWIW, (and not to doubt anyone's grievances) I just noticed an improvement to Bluetooth connectivity - in the past, I couldn't begin a call on the iPhone and then transfer it to my car's (2004 Acura TL) Bluetooth system. It works like a charm now - I just change the "audio source". Audio quality seems about the same.