Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    Well reading about the charger makes no real sense:

You get 6 rechargeable batteries as Apple said 4 for the keyboard 2 for the mouse/trackpad. So if you have both devices, you need an extra charger with extra batteries to always have charged ones in spare when the power of the ones used is low. You even need a second charger and the additional batteries to have spare ones for the keyboard. So the single pack only makes sense for the mouse/trackpad and 4 batteries would have been enough. Do I miss the math somewhere?
  • Reply 102 of 143
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    For photo editing, and a lot of other stuff, I'd rather use a mouse.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nilsholgersson View Post

You get 6 rechargeable batteries as Apple said 4 for the keyboard 2 for the mouse/trackpad. So if you have both devices, you need an extra charger with extra batteries to always have charged ones in spare when the power of the ones used is low. You even need a second charger and the additional batteries to have spare ones for the keyboard. So the single pack only makes sense for the mouse/trackpad and 4 batteries would have been enough. Do I miss the math somewhere?

Do you have the bluetooth keyboard or the magic mouse? If so, how often do you have to replace the batteries? Once every couple of months?

2 batteries in the bluetooth keyboard

2 batteries in the new trackpad

2 charged spares for when the charge in the batteries for the keyboard or trackpad finally die

I come up with six.
  • Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

For photo editing, and a lot of other stuff, I'd rather use a mouse.

Try the Wacom Intuos4 for Photoshop/Lightroom work. Way better than a mouse.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You are right about needing more than 6 batteries. I only use one in my mouse for weight considerations. But still that makes 7. I have the older BT keyboard that takes 4 batteries. How many does the new version take? You will not need another charger though. Not all of your batteries are going to need to be swapped out at the same time, and they only take a couple hours to charge up.
  • Reply 106 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Welcome to the forum, but that isn’t correct. You only need extra batteries your Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and trackpad batteries take two AA batteries each, unless you have an older keyboard.

Additionally, you still wouldn’t need an extra charger, just extra batteries which you can buy from pretty much anywhere, but that is IF you choose not to notice the warnings Mac OS X that your Bluetooth peripherals are low on power AND opt to not charge them up while you are away from your desktop computer.

They don’t take long to charge so even a hardcore gamer does sleep occasionally and even if he takes a shower just once a week could charge them up while he’s doing his periodic cleaning or bowel movement.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are right about needing more than 6 batteries. I only use one in my mouse for weight considerations. But still that makes 7.

That would be the Might Mouse or a non-Apple branded mouse, because it looks like their BT keyboard, mouse and trackpad all using 2 batteries these days?
  • Reply 108 of 143
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's it? Fingerworks' iGesture pad from almost ten years ago did a heck of a lot more than that. Okay, the iGesture cost quite a bit more, but it was worth it. That had a whole ranges of gestures, each using one to five fingers, not just limited to three. I remember being able to control the mouse cursor, text cursor, click, double click, right click, center click, cut, copy, paste, zoom, open file/app, close window, quit application, scroll up/down/left/right, find, command-tab through applications, press "enter," and a bunch more functions that I can't recall now.

Unless they upgrade this, I'm not buying, especially at $70. How disappointing. In terms of "magic," this is like some kid's party prestidigitator compared to iGesture as Merlin. Damn you, Apple, how could you buy such a powerful portfolio of technology and water it down so much?

Most folks are happy with the elegance of an existing MB/MBP touchpad and Magic Mouse.

For those who want more, BetterTouchTool. 'Nuff said.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    I run a couple of compters with a DVI switch and a USB switch. I still use a wired keyboard and mouse because that enables me to run various computers from one keyboard/mouse set.

But I wonder: I have a USB-bluetooth adaptor lying somewhere. Suppose I connect that to the USB-switch and pair a keyboard and mouse with it on one computer, would that keep working when the switchbox gets switched to another computer? Or is bluetooth out when you want to have just one keyboard/mouse(/trackpad) for multiple computers?
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would be the Might Mouse or a non-Apple branded mouse, because it looks like their BT keyboard, mouse and trackpad all using 2 batteries these days?

mighty mouse - does the new one require two batteries?

I use lithium not rechargeable. I was in the home center store a while back and they had several boxes of the Energizer Lithiums on the discount table. 99 cents a pack. I now have a life time supply, provided they don't expire. They have no expiration date so they should be good for a long time.
  • Reply 111 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I run a couple of compters with a DVI switch and a USB switch. I still use a wired keyboard and mouse because that enables me to run various computers from one keyboard/mouse set.

But I wonder: I have a USB-bluetooth adaptor lying somewhere. Suppose I connect that to the USB-switch and pair a keyboard and mouse with it on one computer, would that keep working when the switchbox gets switched to another computer? Or is bluetooth out when you want to have just one keyboard/mouse(/trackpad) for multiple computers?

I think the mouse has to pair with each computer separately, so no I don't think that will work.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, I have to agree on the keyboard. I've used a lot of keyboards over the years -- desktop, laptop, 3rd party, ... -- and the Apple keyboard has, far and away, the best feel to it of any keyboard I have ever used.

Come on, nothing beats the old VT-100 keyboard....

Seriously: I had a hocky puck spare lying around and it became pretty sticky. The plastic was self destructing.
  • Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the mouse has to pair with each computer separately, so no I don't think that will work.

Does it pair with the computer or with the computer's bluetooth ID? In case o fthe latter, it should be possible to get it paired with the USB-bluetooth adapter. But I admit I do not really understand bluetooth.
  • Reply 114 of 143
    Quote:

Does it pair with the computer or with the computer's bluetooth ID? In case o fthe latter, it should be possible to get it paired with the USB-bluetooth adapter. But I admit I do not really understand bluetooth.

Maybe you should investigate ethernet IP based KVM technology.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,953member
    Quote:

Come on, nothing beats the old VT-100 keyboard....

Quote:

Seriously: I had a hocky puck spare lying around and it became pretty sticky. The plastic was self destructing.

I actually have one hooked up to the iMac it came with and it still works as well as it ever did, plastic seems fine too. The yo-yo, which looks just like the mouse, is still MIP, so I actually don't know how well it works.
  • Reply 116 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post
    1. If you'll notice, the battery capacity indicators are in the *batteries*. What other AA batteries have this? (Cost + engineering reasons.)

Duracel and Duracel ultra
  • Reply 117 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

When Bluetooth device, eg a keyboard is paired with a computer when you type the letters only appear on the paired computer. If you want to use the keyboard with another computer un-pair it from computer A and pair it to computer B
  • Reply 118 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Duracel and Duracel ultra

But Duracell and Duracell Ultra are alkaline batteries, not rechargeable.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Agreed. I was so excited when i saw this leaked a few months ago, and i really want to buy one, but i'm still a lowly PC user and the website specifically states you must be running a Mac with OSX.

So does this mean the new trackpad has support in Windows as well as OSX? Or just under bootcamp?
  • Reply 120 of 143
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Thank you thank you thank you!

That's exactly what I've been waiting for for my lounge Mac Mini for the last two years, a bluetooth trackpad. Trust me, using a mouse on your knee sucks big time :-)

The only thing that could improve it is physically linking it to the keyboard, but I'm just glad they have finally introduced a wireless trackpad at all.