iPhone 4 owners report fewer dropped calls than iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton;

True, but I think all it did was polarize people along pre-existing prejudices. Some of my friends who sat on the fence asked me if I had any problems, so some people were open-minded. Everyone else simply took the side they were predisposed to believe without really looking into the facts.

Right on. The people who have always wanted to see apple fail relished in the overblown press coverage. The people who love apple defended them. I doubt many people were swayed far from where they already stood. The iPhone 4 remains one of the most (the most?) desirable mobil devices on the planet in history, despite the best efforts of competitors and their fans.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Seriously 1% percent difference. Thats nothing. They are practically the same, you can't say that there are less problems from 1% difference. The difference could come from any number of factors. Like less people reporting dropped calls on their 4Gs simply because everyone knows about it.

This statistical analysis is flawed.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

#3. The iPhone 4 may have newer cellular electronics that might offer better performance than the 3GS, independent of the touchy antenna.[/B]

Not to mention that it has a better antenna! They exposed it and made it huge (for the size of the phone), which makes it more capable in the first place. This means that many people will be getting any signal and being able to make calls where they couldn't on the 3G/3GS... but those calls will be fragile because they are on such a weak signal, and thus more likely to drop.

This whole issue really highlights how perception and anecdotes, no matter how misguided or non-representative, will guide human opinion. I would have said "guide human thinking" except the problem is that people aren't thinking. The neocortex doesn't do much good if you don't use it.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think these numbers are highly suspect. The numbers that Apple reported (showing an increase in dropped calls) are based on the most definitive source around -- AT&T's records.

One is a count of the number of calls dropped vs the number of total calls.

The other is the number of owners who have experienced dropped calls vs the total number owners.

If the dropped call rate were skewed to a smaller segment of the population (for example, those in weak signal areas), the number would jive with each other.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I'm not experiencing much in the way of dropped calls and I can report that I'm able to make calls from places where my 3G had no service.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

... This whole issue really highlights how perception and anecdotes, no matter how misguided or non-representative, will guide human opinion. I would have said "guide human thinking" except the problem is that people aren't thinking. The neocortex doesn't do much good if you don't use it.

It also highlights how much a part of the business landscape astroturfing has become, how bloggers who don't know what they are talking about have somehow gained credibility simply by making lots of posts with pictures and videos, how uncritical the tech media are in their thinking, and how some people live not to add something to the world, but to destroy what others create.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The screen was the best addition? Multitasking 9th?

I like screens and all, but for me it would have to be:

1. Multitasking (safari to app store to music without having to load each app once again is amazing). Of course this includes faster processor and more ram.

2. The cameras. Not so much for face time, but for taking pics. The LED flash and forward facing cams are very good additions.

3. iBooks - though the screen is small I use it to read on the train and is not that bad. Crank up the text size and flip those pages like mad.

4. Possibly folders, though I use them to store useless bundled apps like clock and voice memos. I still prefer having four screens to swipe through then having to use multiple clicks / taps to get something to launch).

Not that the screen is a bad thing, it's just that it isn't as a big a deal to me to be #1 reason to upgrade.

Totally forgot: Mail's conversations - totally stoked.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Who commissioned this research? Apple? I think it should be disclosed.

Either way the iP4 reception is flawless for many people, I accept it's better than 3GS and its about time the sensationalist headlines came to an end.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    213 people were used for this survey? Are you serious? And they are posting this as anything close to accurate?

I am fond of Apple, don't get me wrong, and their findings make the iPhone 4 look good. However, there is no one with a brain in their head that is going to see this "survey" as anything authoritative.

1,000 people? 10,000? Perhaps that would help. How can the info with 213 NOT be skewed?

It's not like there aren't enough iPhone 4 users to survey.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    To understand "Antennagate" you have to remember that it followed the iPad launch. After the iPad was announced it was followed by the most incredible, irrational, bizarre outpouring on anger by the tech press, blogs, twitter dorks, etc, I've ever seen. There was a chorus of voices saying it was a misstep for Apple, they'd finally run out of luck, the Emperor had no clothes, etc. Then the iPad went on to have one of the most successful launches of any new product in technology history. So we had thousands of tech bloggers, reporters, etc, who had written endless opinion pieces on why the iPad would fail who had been utterly humiliated on a scale hitherto unseen. So when the slightest, feeblest evidence that Apple might have done something wrong came along they pounced on it and went crazy. Some of them still haven't let go. But that's just what happens when people make a fool of themselves in a very public way; they go a bit crazy.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post

213 people were used for this survey? Are you serious? And they are posting this as anything close to accurate?

I am fond of Apple, don't get me wrong, and their findings make the iPhone 4 look good. However, there is no one with a brain in their head that is going to see this "survey" as anything authoritative.

1,000 people? 10,000? Perhaps that would help. How can the info with 213 NOT be skewed?

It's not like there aren't enough iPhone 4 users to survey.

learn some statistics.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    I wish i could report the same. My wife and i both have i4 and have about 5 dropped calls a day. We live in Dallas which is where A&T is headquartered and Dallas is the first city in the nation where AT&T rolls out upgrades. With that being said, i hope a case solves our problems. We're having as many dropped calls on i4 as we did on 3g, if not more. I love everything mac, so i'm not on here to bash, but i wish i could report the good reception that so many other users are seeing.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
  • Reply 34 of 84
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

For a simple, quantitative assessment of the iPhone 4 antenna, all Apple has to do is bring back Field Test Mode, which is found in every release of iPhone OS and which was removed from iOS 4.

They removed it just to piss you off.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

To understand "Antennagate" you have to remember that it followed the iPad launch. After the iPad was announced it was followed by the most incredible, irrational, bizarre outpouring on anger by the tech press, blogs, twitter dorks, etc, I've ever seen. There was a chorus of voices saying it was a misstep for Apple, they'd finally run out of luck, the Emperor had no clothes, etc. Then the iPad went on to have one of the most successful launches of any new product in technology history. So we had thousands of tech bloggers, reporters, etc, who had written endless opinion pieces on why the iPad would fail who had been utterly humiliated on a scale hitherto unseen. So when the slightest, feeblest evidence that Apple might have done something wrong came along they pounced on it and went crazy. Some of them still haven't let go. But that's just what happens when people make a fool of themselves in a very public way; they go a bit crazy.

Well, there were also some, like Nick Bilton* at The New York Times, who used their positions in a highly unprofessional manner to hit back at Apple for "causing trouble" for their buddies over at Gizmodo. I suppose there's nothing new in the media using their positions to grind personal axes, but it's still pretty shameful.

* If you read Bilton's posts on Apple over the last 7 months, you'll notice a distinct change in his treatment of Apple following the Gizmodo iP4 incident.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    That's a funny statistic. I'd be interested to see the proportion that couldn't make the call in the first place, rather than it being dropped although I don't know if they have that type of data.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    again with a Changewave study?

a survey of 213 people can't provide accurate results.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimac1 View Post

I wish i could report the same. My wife and i both have i4 and have about 5 dropped calls a day. We live in Dallas which is where A&T is headquartered and Dallas is the first city in the nation where AT&T rolls out upgrades. With that being said, i hope a case solves our problems. We're having as many dropped calls on i4 as we did on 3g, if not more. I love everything mac, so i'm not on here to bash, but i wish i could report the good reception that so many other users are seeing.

Even I live in dallas.. But I am yet to drop a call.. But there are a few places where the reception is soo pathetic that I avoid making calls in the first place...
  • Reply 39 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The screen was the best addition? Multitasking 9th?

I like screens and all, but for me it would have to be:

1. Multitasking (safari to app store to music without having to load each app once again is amazing). Of course this includes faster processor and more ram.

This may indicate what is actually important to the majority, which isn't this dire need to run every app in the background as the vocal minority has been yelling for 3 years now.

It could also be a testament to Apple's multitasking implementation which is pretty seemless and probably goes unnoticed by most users. In fact, I bet there are more than a handful of users who think multitasking is only invoked via the Fast App Switcher and that all apps in that list are running in the background in some capacity.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

again with a Changewave study?

a survey of 213 people can't provide accurate results.

Also note that this is strictly a US survey (altough it doesn't say so expressly in he heading). Wonder what results they'd get if they asked overseas users who don't have the AT&T network.