MacBook Air update with lower price expected from Apple in September

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Citing supply chain sources, a Wall Street analyst claims that Apple is poised to introduce two new MacBook Air models this September, along with the expected iPod line refresh.

Analyst Keith Bachman with BMO Capital Markets this week issued a note to investors in which he said Apple will finally update its MacBook Air line next month. He said the Cupertino, Calif., company will launch two new units in September.

"We are not yet clear on all the specs, but supply chain checks suggest that unit shipments o the new Air products could far exceed the current Air, which we believe could suggest lower starting prices," Bachman wrote. "We project 2.9 million total notebooks in the September quarter, which we believe is reasonable."

Updates have been repeatedly rumored over the last year but never panned out. The hardware was last updated in June 2009, giving it a Core 2 Duo processor and Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics at a lower starting price of $1,499.

Bachman also spoke of Apple's anticipated update to its iPod line, though he did not specifically cite any industry insiders in his prediction for a redesigned, "much smaller" iPod nano.

"We believe that the Nano will be much smaller than past versions, and will not have a physical track wheel," he said, adding that it's possible that the iPod shuffle could be eliminated if the iPod nano is reduced in size.

Bachman also noted strong iPad and iPhone sales, and said checks in the supply chain indicate that the iPod touch has not been cannibalized by the iPad. BMO Capital Markets has maintained its "outperform" rating for AAPL stock, and has a price target of $315.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Great! This is just a fantastic piece of comupter! Just got one last year, so will have to wait till the next iteration or well, the next after the next to get the next one.
  • Reply 1 of 100
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    First iOS notebook??
  • Reply 3 of 100
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

First iOS notebook??

Not even anytime soon! iOS and Mac OS are still very different things. There is also no need to make a unique OS. I think Apple will first introduce a proper touch Mac OS before thinking of merging iOS and Mac OS. So, no need to wait for this at the moment.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    Quote:

First iOS notebook??

So an iPad with a keyboard and lots of storage. What would that really get you - the storage / retrieval model just does not make sense at this point for managing large amounts of docs. Also, I assume you would remove the trackpad sense the screen would be touch? It really begins to sound like a very different animal. Not at all an update -- don't think this is happening anymore than OS X on the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Give it a Core i3 and a price of around $1200 and I'll bite. Just wish it used a 2.5" Storage solution because SSDs are way more prevalent in that form factor.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "I hereby announce the MacBook Hydrogen! And here it..." BOOM!
  • Reply 7 of 100
    I wonder if they would use flash memory for the hard drive. Would 64GB or 128GB of flash memory be cheaper than an SSD?
  • Reply 8 of 100
    I'm looking forwards the iPod refresh. My first generation Touch is on it's last legs (battery is dying), and now I've got an iPad, my iPod needs are back to just a music player. Will be interested to see what the new Nano looks like.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    The system memory is fixed and cannot be increased. 2GB is insufficient for today's multi-tasking. 4GB or bust.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Not even anytime soon! iOS and Mac OS are still very different things. There is also no need to make a unique OS. I think Apple will first introduce a proper touch Mac OS before thinking of merging iOS and Mac OS. So, no need to wait for this at the moment.

Personally, I don't see a merging of these two OS's anytime soon, or possibly ever. They're used in devices serving two different demographics (or purposes, I have Macs and MacBook Pro's as well as an iPad).

I belive that if a push exists to bring Mac OS to smaller devices, that is what will happen. And vice versa, I believe that if a push exists to put iOS in larger devices, that will happen. However, these devices won't be the same devices because they serve totally different purposes. They will differentiate on appearance, size, performance, I/O, and I'm guessing other features I can't think of right now.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    I agree that it shouldn't be iOS and use the App Store.

There's a sensible space for the Air with Mac OS X. It can run lots of custom x86 stuff, has a keyboard with keys, etc etc. I'd like one with about a 10" screen or so - smaller than the current model. SSD would make sense too, although it might push the price too high so it should be an option rather than mandatory.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    That would be slick!!
  • Reply 13 of 100
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

The system memory is fixed and cannot be increased. 2GB is insufficient for today's multi-tasking. 4GB or bust.

I agree. 4GB is a minimum now. When the first MacBook Air was released, some Macs still came with 1GB. Now, nearly all Macs come with at least 4GB. There is no excuse for the MacBook Air to have less than 4GB.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

That would be slick!!

I don't think carbon would fit with Apple's green image. That stuff from what I read is nasty to use and hard to recycle.

4GB Ram, glass display (easier to clean) and I may very well bite.

Until then, I will continue to happily use my first-gen MBA when at the office.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Dare I say.... "Carbon fibre"

That would be slick!!

That would also be rather heavy compared to aluminum.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I don't think carbon would fit with Apple's green image. That stuff from what I read is nasty to use and hard to recycle.

4GB Ram, glass display (easier to clean) and I may very well bite.

Until then, I will continue to happily use my first-gen MBA when at the office.

Add an SDXC slot to that 11" glass display, 4 gb ram and SSD/NAND and so would I.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    eventually there will be an iPad with keyboard.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a01...5974513970c-pi

Bu it won't be a MacBook.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I've been waiting for this baby to be updated! I'm getting a new 27" iMac for my home studio, but also want a laptop for when I need to do some lite Photoshop and video editing on the road. (I travel ALOT).

As much as I love my iPad....it can't run the programs I use at home currently.

Then my studio will be complete. Bwa-ha-HA!

I just hope the rumor of it getting an 11.6" screen ain't true. I could live with it....but I'd prefer the screen size to stay the same. Also an i3 processor would be nice....as well as an sd card slot like the macbooks. :-)
  • Reply 19 of 100
    Two Words: Air Touch.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?d like to see a MacBook/Pro without the optical drive soon. The MacBook Air is nice for what it is, but it?s a niche that will remain expensive and HW limited so long as it uses CULV processors and 1.8? drives. I want the full-size without the ODD taking up pointless space. Hopefully, that is what will be coming with this cheaper MBA.

Quote:

First iOS notebook??

As others have stated. iOS on a notebook doesn?t make any sense right now. Maybe at some point enough of the work down to make Mac OS X efficient enough for iOS will make its way back to the Mac, like QuickTime X did for the engine, but nothing that will be overtly noticeable to the user.