Apple releases iOS 4.0.2, 3.2.2 with fix for PDF exploit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

If I am unable to jailbreak after this, I'll have a case against apple. Jailbreaking is now totally legal.

You're not seriously saying that because it's legal to jailbreak a phone that Apple has to ensure that all their future updates are compatible with third party hacking software, are you? I really hope you are because that only makes everyone else look smarter.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.

Care to explain that?
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Me too, but is 3.1.3 actually affected by this bug? It would seem quite likely but I have not seen a definite confirmation either way.

Definitely. I was able to jailbreak my 3G after a standard install of 3.1.3 (leaving it unjailbroken), and then visiting JailBreakMe.com.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

I've been looking forward to this update for my iPhone 4, but I had also hoped for a 3.1.4 version for older iOS devices like my iPhone 3G. I'd prefer not to update it to iOS 4.x.

Yup. I had to downgrade my iP 3G to 3.1.3. iOS4 made it unusable.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.

Not only will it not brick a jailbroken phone, Apple also chose not to patch the baseband holes that are used to unlock the iPhones. It seems like Apple is much more interested in closing serious security flaws than fighting the jailbreak and unlock community. Some of their brain dead fanboi's on the other hand are still living in LaLa land.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Seriously? What impact have those who jailbreak their phones had on you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

What have they done? Has a jailbreaker ever damaged your own phone remotely? If anything, I am sure the JB community has actually helped users more than you know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

OH NOEZ !!1ONEOEN ZE JAILBREAKERS ARE OUT TO KILL US

I'll tell you one thing the jailbreakers did to the rest of us ...

They publicised a zero-day vulnerability in the iPhone and left every iPhone user in the world open to malicious hackers and viruses for the duration. This is actually what the article is about doncha know.

- They also enable massive theft of apps which raises the prices in the app store.

- Roughly 40% of them are thieves and steal apps themselves

- They publish endless dribble to forums like this about the benefits of jailbreaking

Jailbreaking is also still illegal really, given that the recent ruling by the Library of Congress seriously overstepped their authority and decided things that are completely unprecedented (like it's okay to steal Apple's code since it was only a "small amount"?). If they had followed precedent and common law principles, jailbreaking would never have even become the "quasi-legal" thing it is now and remained firmly "illegal."
  • Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:

Definitely. I was able to jailbreak my 3G after a standard install of 3.1.3 (leaving it unjailbroken), and then visiting JailBreakMe.com.

Damn you! Look what you have done to me! How will I ever go on with my life now that you have installed unauthorized software on an iPhone?
  • Reply 28 of 108
    Two weeks. Good turnaround.

Quote:

What a jerk. I'd ask what they've done to you, but someone else already has.

I'd suggest you read a bit about it, but you won't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Not only will it not brick a jailbroken phone, Apple also chose not to patch the baseband holes that are used to unlock the iPhones. It seems like Apple is much more interested in closing serious security flaws than fighting the jailbreak and unlock community. Some of their brain dead fanboi's on the other hand are still living in LaLa land.

That's good news. The exploit should be a much higher priority and the patching shouldn't have waited for Apple to release the next fix in its war against jailbreakers. Although I guess I can understand the later, thanks to elements like software piracy and tethering. Apple has a business interest to work against those things, and something that hurts developers hurts everyone.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Did any 3G user upgraded to 4.0.2? I don't want to change from 3.1.3 to 4.0.2. iOS4 is just sluggish on iP3G. Did Apple change anything?
  • Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They publicised a zero-day vulnerability in the iPhone and left every iPhone user in the world open to malicious hackers and viruses for the duration. This is actually what the article is about doncha know.

Actually the vulnerability had been public for some time, they just decided to use it while Apple took their sweet time releasing a patch they claimed to already have internally.

Quote:

- They also enable massive theft of apps which raises the prices in the app store.

- They publish endless dribble to forums like this about the benefits of jailbreaking

Many people in the community are very anti piracy, including members of the dev-team who repeatedly write publicly on the subject. There is also no evidence that apps cost more because of piracy and jailbreaking. In fact, other than TomTom, the most expensive apps I have bought are from Cydia. They have money on the line too!

Quote:

Jailbreaking is also still illegal really, given that the recent ruling by the Library of Congress seriously overstepped their authority and decided things that are completely unprecedented (like it's okay to steal Apple's code since it was only a "small amount"?). If they had followed precedent and common law principles, jailbreaking would never have even become the "quasi-legal" thing it is now and remained firmly "illegal."

Seriously? I take it you have absolutely no experience with copyright, law, and government. The DMCA specifically gave them the authority to make the decisions they have made. The fact that the jailbreak remains necessary to use the device on another network besides AT&T also strongly supports its legality under the DMCA even without the recent ruling.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    obelixobelix Posts: 18member
    305 MB download! For something that was written in a couple of weeks and doesn't have any media files, it seems a bit bloated. Who taught these guys to code?
  • Reply 32 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Did any 3G user upgraded to 4.0.2? I don't want to change from 3.1.3 to 4.0.2. iOS4 is just sluggish on iP3G. Did Apple change anything?

I know quite a few who have the 3G and updated to iOS 4 and some of them encountered the terrible sluggishness that has been reported. Every one of them has been able to resolve this problem with a DFU Recovery, which sucks given the inconvenience, but they've all got perfectly usable 3Gs now.

That said, if I had one I probably wouldn't upgrade. I know some users say their problem gradually came back despite restoring (not sure if they did the DFU Recovery) and, taken at face value, who is to say there isn't a bug causing problems for them? iOS 4 doesn't offer much to a 3G user, and even in a proper case, it does run slower on those older phones than iOS 3.

I guess I'd just get a new phone, but that's not an option for everyone either.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You forgot to blame Adobe for all of this. They, after all, created the PDF format.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quick question for those who know about such things:

I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4.0 for the first time to see what it was like, and am not liking the slowness. I want to update to this and am wondering if doing so will make my iPod Touch basically exactly like it was before I jailbroke. Any info on this?
  • Reply 35 of 108
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obelix View Post

305 MB download! For something that was written in a couple of weeks and doesn't have any media files, it seems a bit bloated. Who taught these guys to code?

It's the entire OS - that's how Apple has always distributes iPhone OS updates.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

That's good news. The exploit should be a much higher priority and the patching shouldn't have waited for Apple to release the next fix in its war against jailbreakers. Although I guess I can understand the later, thanks to elements like software piracy and tethering. Apple has a business interest to work against those things, and something that hurts developers hurts everyone.

Don't confuse jailbreaking with unlocking. Jailbreaking allows the install of non-appstore apps. Unlocking which they did not patch in the last few releases is opening the phone to use any GSM sim from carriers other than AT&T.

4.0.2 does disable the jailbreak, at least through the web page, but that is a side effect of fixing the gaping security hole they had. What they did not do is disable the unlock, which would not have been hard, and which they have done with past updates. That may be a sign that Apple is weighing their priorities differently or perhaps it is a sign of upcoming changes with regard to official unlocking.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obelix View Post

The coding isn't at fault; you're downloading the entire OS with every file that comes with it, from kernel to iPod icons.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:

Quote:

What exactly has a Jailbreaker done to you?

probably they shattered his day-dreaming that everything is perfect and hunky-dory at Apple, and that every invention under the sun was originated from US of A. The guy is still reeling from the shock
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Quick question for those who know about such things:

I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4.0 for the first time to see what it was like, and am not liking the slowness. I want to update to this and am wondering if doing so will make my iPod Touch basically exactly like it was before I jailbroke. Any info on this?

The slowness is from 4.0 not from the jailbreak, but, you can install 4.0.2 and have a clean, non-jailbroken phone again. Apple was also looking into 4.0 slowness so there may be some fixes in there as well. If not, go to settings and turn off the spotlight indexing. It can help a lot!
  • Reply 40 of 108
    h3nrchh3nrch Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody;

Jailbreaking is not illegal -- it's an unauthorized technology. The LOC has the authority to make exceptions in the interpretation of the DMCA. I'm also curious to know which precedents and common law principles youre referencing. And as for your bullet points, here's some information from people who have actually looked into the matter:

http://gizmodo.com/5477732/the-myth-...one-app-piracy