Rumors of new 7-inch iPad from Apple persist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales.

Well documented by who? Apple has been selling every single iPad they make, pretty much as fast as they can make them, ever since release. I've seen other people try and claim this before, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Instead, I envision the 9.7" inch model getting lighter and the Touch growing to around 4.5" yet retaining the iPhone 4's 960 by 640 resolution.

Improve the weight and the iPad is ideal for a device not intended to be pocketed. The 7" version you couldn't pocket and it would lose screen real estate, making it less immersive. Not very Apple-like.

On the other hand, boost the size of the Touch up to around 4.5" and you've got a device that is still pocketable yet is better suited to being used as a pocket computer. Being as it wouldn't be a phone you wouldn't get that awkwardness that happens when a device larger than an iPhone is put up to your ear.

You can try this in increments like upping the Touch to maybe 4.3" this time around and see how it goes. The Retina display is no doubt quite expensive, anyway, so a larger screen with a little less resolution per inch would not be more costly yet I'd have to say that for the average consumer a 960X640 screen in the 4.3" range would certainly work just fine.

In short the 7" iPad would be no more portable than the current iPad yet be less enjoyable to use. Apple can't even keep up with demand for the 9.7" model so killing that particular set-up would be incredibly dumb. Adding a 7" model would be rather pointless.

I am more inclined to believe a 7" iPad is coming to maybe replace the iPod touch. A 7" model makes sense because if you keep the resolution the same and decrease the size to 7", the user interface elements are about the same size as the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

The iPad is the perfect size. Why in the world would Apple make something the wrong size? I don't believe this rumor.

I totally agree, size matters and the ipad works, why mess with it?
  • Reply 24 of 137
    The current iPad is absolutely too heavy to use while laying on your back on a bed/couch and trying to read a book. A smaller and/or lighter iPad would be much appreciated.

And comparing the weight of an iPad to a laptop is a moot point, because you don't lay on your back and try to hold a laptop above you to read something.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

iPad is too heavy??? What about laptops that weigh 4 or 5 pounds easily? The main weight is the battery anyway, not so much the screen, so I fail to see how this rumor has much weight. More likely, the weight stays the same (because battery technology doesn't get that good/lightweight that fast), and they add in updated processors w/ more RAM and a camera for FaceTime.

you fail to see that you're not holding a laptop in your hand for extended periods of time. When you hold the iPad long enough, fatigue does set in. i can agree with the rest of what you state. Right now the iPad is 24 oz. That's more than double that of a standard paperback book, roughly 4-8 oz. Heck, the Dell Streak is 7.7 oz. and it does just about the same as the iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If you read the article, it mentions that the reason for the 7" model is because the current iPad is too heavy. This is the opposite of what most people say about the iPad.

type in "iPad too heavy" into a google search and see what comes up.

Huffington Post

PC World

CNet Reviews

Business Insider

There are a lot of people complaining about the weight. Everyone I know who owns one has "mentioned" that it is on the heavy side.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The current iPad is absolutely too heavy to use while laying on your back on a bed/couch and trying to read a book. A smaller and/or lighter iPad would be much appreciated.

And comparing the weight of an iPad to a laptop is a moot point, because you don't lay on your back and try to hold a laptop above you to read something.

You can start going to the gym. Do more bench presses. Imagine the weights your lifting as an iPad when you bench press. You know just to train yourself when your laying down holding your iPad. That should solve the heavy weight issue of the iPad...

before you go off, you know I'm just teasing and kidding right?
  • Reply 28 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Well documented by who? Apple has been selling every single iPad they make, pretty much as fast as they can make them, ever since release. I've seen other people try and claim this before, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.

You are in the 16% bracket i presume.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...aper-than-ipad

A new study from Retrevo (over 1,000 non-Retrevo users) looks at interest in the iPad ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference next week. The company emailed WebProNews with a round-up of significant findings.

So without beating around the bush, let's just get to them.

Study Highlights:

- 52% of people surveyed say they "don't need" an iPad

- 38% of people say the iPad is "too expensive"

- 10% of people are "waiting for a good excuse" to buy an iPad

Obviously competition for the iPad is on the way, and it has been widely speculated that Google's Android will play a major role in that. Retrevo asked people interested in buying a tablet, "What would make you buy an Android-based tablet over an iPad?"

- 53% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was less expensive than the iPad."

- 33% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If Verizon was the carrier."

- 28% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was discounted as part of a subscription service (like a cell phone contract)."

- 22% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "for other reasons."

- 16% say they would still buy an iPad, regardless.

another article:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-0...e-yahoo-sports

"Apple still has a ways to go in convincing many users of the full utility of the iPad. More than half of owners or would-be owners, 55 percent, said they still see the iPad as an expensive toy while 33 percent see it as a breakthrough product and 28 percent see it benefiting productivity.

For people who intend to buy the iPad, the main reasons are entertainment (58 percent), cool factor (42 percent), convenience (40 percent) and brand (28 percent). For people not interested in the iPad, 54 percent say they don't see a need for it, while 46 percent say it's too expensive."

and another:

http://www.ipadnewstracker.com/2010/...esearch-study/

"55% call the device ?a very expensive toy.? They view it in terms of amusement as opposed to practicality. Because of the strong associations with entertainment and coolness, the top reasons for rejecting the iPad were related to its futility.

#1 (54%) ? Unnecessary

#2 (46%) ? It?s too expensive

#3 (17%) ? Subscription fee required for 3G

#4 (16%) ? Duplicates functions of other owned devices"
  • Reply 29 of 137
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    I think a 7" iPad would be a very good addition to the lineup. Unfortunately, I don't think that the price could go down proportionately. Assuming that the overall specs remain the same, you would save only on screen and battery costs. (The battery can be reduced i size because the screen is the largest draw, and a 7" screen has roughly one half the area of the 9.7"). While the screen and battery are some of the most expensive parts, they will not be eliminated entirely, and thus the overall cost will not be that much lower. I am not sure that $100 will make that much of a difference. On the other hand, the base iPod Touch is only $199, so if they can put it out there for $299 or $225, I think they would have a great product that would fill a price point at which they have no compelling entry.

As for competition...

My feeling is that they are not so worried about the e-readers. It is a big market and they can share. I think they are more interested in maintaining dominance in the tablet (i.e. portable computer) and smartphone markets. In other words, maintaining their dominance/balance with Android, et al.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I feel the same way,the iPad seems 'just right' as it is and having two size options could lead to app store fragmentation.

Not if the resolution and aspect ratio is the same. In fact if they make it and price it lower than current iPad I'll get one and I already got an iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

1 - "For starters, a 7" iPad would compete more directly with a well-established eReader market, so we know there is a demand for smaller tablet devices. "

2 - Also, it would likely be less expensive, which would definitely spur sales. The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales.

3 - If Apple really wants to bring this product category to the masses, they will need to make it cheaper.

4 - It's not about what any one given person thinks, it's really about Joe Consumer. Apple's target market is them, not a handful of random fanboys on some technology gossip site. Never, ever forget that.

1 - There is not a demand for smaller tablet devices - there is a demand for smaller e-readers. The iPad is NOT in the same category as a kindle or nook. It has created and defined it's own category entirely. "Never, ever forget that."

2 - Since when have sales been inhibited in ANY way, whatsoever?

3 - The low $499 entry point for the iPad shocked (and pleased) everyone. Price is not an issue (see #2, above). Just like Apple "doesn't know how" to make a $500 laptop that isn't a piece of junk, it also "doesn't know how" to make a $250 tablet that isn't a piece of junk.

4 - Don't point out that the real world isn't represented by a bunch of techblog commenters, then go and say that Apple should listen to those same people since they're the ones clamoring for a different sized tablet. Get real. "Joe Consumer" has ALREADY weighed in on the iPad, and he is very, very happy. "NEVER, EVER FORGET THAT."
  • Reply 32 of 137
    At first I thought this rumor might be true. My thinking was that Apple uses large-medium-small form factors for its other products. Then I visited my Apple Store and noticed that the iPad appeared much smaller than I remembered. The vision I had in my head from commercials and such was that it was about the same size as a 13" laptop. In life it looked like what I thought a 7" version would look like. I no longer think a 7" version is likely in the short term.

Perhaps a more likely scenario is that the iPod Touch grows a bit?
  • Reply 33 of 137
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chinese-language newspaper Economic Daily News reported Tuesday (via Google Translate) that Apple plans to launch a second-generation iPad with a 7-inch screen. The report claimed that the original, 9.7-inch iPad is too big and heavy for many consumers, and the new model will cut weight down from 700 grams to 500 grams.

Let's see.

Basically between the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi and the Dx. And probably priced accordingly, i.e., about $399 which is $20 more than the DX.

Everything else considered, more reasons to go Apple.

By the way, could anybody explain why every time Apple brings out or is rumored to bring out something new, some of you seem to think that you are the center of the universe. How anybody can be so judgmental or condescending for something yet to be seen is incomprehensible.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Very nice, unfortunately this doesn't actually address anything I said. The iPad still sells out constantly, no matter if people are considering Android tablets. I don't believe I have stated if I own or would buy an iPad in this thread. I hope the Android tablets do well, but they have a ways to go. My wife and I both like the look of the iPad, but we both know to wait for the first revision as well. When Apple releases a 2nd version, I will compare what is on the market and make an informed decision, just like any other piece of electronic gear I buy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

By the way, could anybody explain why every time Apple brings out or is rumored to bring out something new, some of you seem to think that you are the center of the universe. How anybody can be so judgmental or condescending for something yet to be seen is incomprehensible.

Yeah I don't really get it either. I don't personally think a 7" model would appeal as much to me, but I like the screen size of the iPad as it is currently, from the various times I've played with one. Who knows. I'll keep an open mind about it
  • Reply 35 of 137
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...aper-than-ipad

Study Highlights:

- 53% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was less expensive than the iPad."

- 33% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If Verizon was the carrier."

- 28% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was discounted as part of a subscription service (like a cell phone contract)."

- 22% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "for other reasons."

- 16% say they would still buy an iPad, regardless.

That is an awful lot of IFs!!

If Apple goes to Verizon, then that would kill 33% of the respondents.

More importantly, Note that they are mostly price based. Apple has always been happy to let people who want to do so, buy cheap products that do not compare with their own. The iPads are priced very competitively (especially the low end model) The only way for other manufacturers to compete is to slash either quality or margin.

Someone can make a cheap, pseudo-immitation perhaps, but not an equivalent device.

No one else can make an iPad for significantly less money.

• Reply 36 of 137
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I don't see anything inherently wrong with the idea, assuming that iOS can automatically handle scaling (at least better than we saw with the '2x' button to use iPhone apps on the iPad.)

I asked my wife what she thought of a 7" iPad and her eyes lit up. That tells me a lot.

I don't see how adding that size cannibalizes anything. Gives everyone the opportunity for using the best suited tool. I thought choice was supposed to be a good thing.

That said, my only doubt about the rumor is that I don't think they need to do it this soon, given the sell-out status of the existing model.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    how can the fans/followers of such a visionary company be so consistently myopic? there are so many great reasons to have a 7" screen I shouldn't even have to mention any (cheaper starting price, retail sales, lighter, pocketable, WOMEN, CHILDREN, .........). and why is everyone getting all emotional about it anyway, who the f cares!? it's going to have the same resolution, and it's it's not like they're going to discontinue the 9.7" version. and of course they're going to make it lighter! that's what apple does, puts out a solid product, and makes solid improvements. I'm sure carbon fiber isn't too far away. so much whining, not too much reasoning/creativity.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    I would sell my ipad and buy a smaller and lighter version.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    IMO - 9.7 for those that tend to surf etc more, 7 inch for those that want to read books more.

And since this turned into a weight discussion.

What are some things Apple could do to reduce weights and keep the same size?

Per ifixit

Aluminum back 138 grams

Battery 148 grams

LCD 153 grams

Glass (and frame) 193 grams

Speaker: 17 grams

Main board: 21 grams

Everything else: 27 grams

Hard to decrease the battery weight without giving up life.

Glass, hard to decrease thk and keep the strength etc.

Case and frame - well there are options, but people won't like it. Its called plastic. but plastic is poor for cooling.

Tough to get 9.7 ipad lighter, it will be an incremental battle.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,793member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

how can the fans/followers of such a visionary company be so consistently myopic? there are so many great reasons to have a 7" screen I shouldn't even have to mention any (cheaper starting price, retail sales, lighter, pocketable, WOMEN, CHILDREN, .........). and why is everyone getting all emotional about it anyway, who the f cares!? it's going to have the same resolution, and it's it's not like they're going to discontinue the 9.7" version. and of course they're going to make it lighter! that's what apple does, puts out a solid product, and makes solid improvements. I'm sure carbon fiber isn't too far away. so much whining, not too much reasoning/creativity.

Check out my post at very start of thread. iOS is headed for far more than even 7". You are 100% correct though, people are unbelievably myopic or perhaps blinkered would be closer, when it comes to technology and especially to change.