First look: Taking HDR photos with Apple's iOS 4.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I am not very skilled in photography so can some one answer me this: The article said that HDR is good for bright days to put more detail into washed out pictures. Does that mean I don't want to use HDR in darker settings or when it's cloudy? Thanks in advance.

Correct. While real HDR works in those situations, the iPhone doesn't do it. Camera shake alone prevents it. 3 images are taken, increasing the blur 3x.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

A sample taken tonight of the first high-level clouds of the approaching tropical storm in the opposite direction of the setting sun. No modification was done to the images, taken on an iPhone 4, uploaded with iPhoto, and exported with "Large" size and "High" JPEG quality.

Not sure about you, but I like the No HDR version way better. I'm sure HDR is useful in some cases, but I think a lot of people are going to leave it turned on all the time and get slow performance and worse photos.

HDR:

No HDR:

The higher contrast in the cars looks MUCH better in the non-HDR shot. The HDR one looks awful.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    I think the camera 4.1 might have a memory leak. After opening the Camera app and closing it, other apps start to become sluggish. It feels like there's paging going on or something.

Anyone else experience this?

Edit: When I use the task bar to quit Camera and Photos, the performance goes back to normal again. So it has to do with Camera and Photos. Must be a memory leak of some sort.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I think the camera 4.1 might have a memory leak. After opening the Camera app and closing it, other apps start to become sluggish. It feels like there's paging going on or something.

Anyone else experience this?

Edit: When I use the task bar to quit Camera and Photos, the performance goes back to normal again. So it has to do with Camera and Photos. Must be a memory leak of some sort.

I haven't seen this, but it doesn't sound like a memory leak to me. It sounds like those apps have asked for more processing time to do something and it's taking up too much background CPU. Otherwise you wouldn't see any immediate difference when you quit.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    The proximity sensor problem seems worse to me since I updated to the GM. I think all they really did was make it a longer delay before the screen comes back on when you uncover the sensor. However, the sensor is still just as sensitive to the position you have it against your ear/face so if you don't have the phone held where the sensor is perfectly covered, the screen will come back on while talking. On the other hand, now it seems to lag a little when you do have it in the right position and then remove it from your ear to use the screen.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Ironically, all of those SNES and NES ROMs you have on your phone are technically illegal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

That you own physical copies is neither here nor there. It might justify what you're doing in your mind but it doesn't change the equation at all.

You know?I can respect this position because even the use of ROMs for which you hold the original title does fall into a degree of gray area. But at the same time I'm comfortable overlooking that position as a radical extreme given there absolutely is no harmed party as long as one does not distribute. If I paid for an NES game I'm content to play that NES game in any way I wish. It is on a different level from, say, pirating an App Store app entirely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I rarely take my standalone camera along anymore and this addition to iOS should make things even better. But, like you I will wait until a jailbreak comes along.

Yeah, mine just sits in a drawer right now, and I'm actually extremely fond of photography. Now days I'm either carrying an SLR or my iPhone 4. It is interesting to see the HDR examples that have cropped up. It certainly wouldn't be right for everything, but I can think of plenty of scenarios where it would have been just the thing I needed to get that perfect shot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

You're wasting your time rationalizing with hill60 and the like about the merits and justifications of jailbreaking. They don't get it. They don't know how to do it. They're intimidated by what they can not comprehend.

I've actually tried to figure this out. I'm not sure if it is just some members who have decided to declare a holy war against it because Steve Jobs doesn't like it, if it is sometimes an unspoken dislike that others have figured it out and they haven't, or if it is born of some other criticism. I know the later is certainly the case from more educated members?that jailbreaking is possible certainly isn't good for App Store developers?but it is hard to take a stand against people who do jailbreak unless they are actually doing something destructive.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:

A sample taken tonight of the first high-level clouds of the approaching tropical storm in the opposite direction of the setting sun. No modification was done to the images, taken on an iPhone 4, uploaded with iPhoto, and exported with "Large" size and "High" JPEG quality.

Not sure about you, but I like the No HDR version way better. I'm sure HDR is useful in some cases, but I think a lot of people are going to leave it turned on all the time and get slow performance and worse photos.

I think your sample photos would have benefited greatly by the use of a tripod, and perhaps a better choice of exposure setting location. I'd wager that if you tried a series of photos on a stable platform that you'd turn up one that looks better that either of these.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Someone brought up a good point. If the HDR image is highly compressed to a JPEG then it is really limited on how it can be edited later.

Your criticism is only specifically about the sky. The HDR image really did improve exposure in the parking lot. In the non-HDR picture the parking lot is extremely underexposed while the sky is properly exposed. In the HDR photo the sky is a little more over exposed while the parking lot has better exposure.

Neither picture is really ideal as a well exposed photo with proper color reproduction. In both pictures something was sacrificed from one part of the picture for another part.

Quote:

I understand that HDR did what it was supposed to do. But the information it added was down in the parking lot and there is actually LESS information up in the clouds in the HDR photo. I honestly can't tweak the HDR photo to look like the non-HDR one because the extra information in the clouds is lost (If you can take those two images and tweak the first to look like the second and prove me wrong, be my guest). Besides, if I wanted to use Photoshop on these things, I probably wouldn't be using an iPhone 4 to take them in the first place.

My point is simply that HDR may help you get that hard-to-catch shot of the outdoor sunny wedding or somesuch, just don't thoughtlessly leave it on and think it's improving all your photos or that you can even recover that information in post-processing.

• Reply 69 of 98
    You are correct. A tripod. A longer exposure with a graduated neutral density filter and this picture would have been perfect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I think your sample photos would have benefited greatly by the use of a tripod, and perhaps a better choice of exposure setting location. I'd wager that if you tried a series of photos on a stable platform that you'd turn up one that looks better that either of these.

• Reply 70 of 98
    You are just looking at the sky, you gotta look at the whole picture.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The higher contrast in the cars looks MUCH better in the non-HDR shot. The HDR one looks awful.

• Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

↑↑↑↑↑ *grade A fanboi post*

You're wasting your time rationalizing with hill60 and the like about the merits and justifications of jailbreaking. They don't get it. They don't know how to do it. They're intimidated by what they can not comprehend.

Point in fact - I know how to do it, have done it, but don't need the attendant messiness to maintain it. I get it. Not in fact intimidated - but there is a huge divide between those that what to do it cuz it's fun, there's some cool stuff in the jb community, and those that just want a device that works. So stop being condescending. Everytime you react you are just feeding the need for the button pushers.

By now there is enough history that each side should just say "Pffffffsst!" *waves hand* when someone goes off. And you know what - they don't need to agree on it but they do need to get over themselves and just get on with enjoying what they are doing instead of wasting pixels in the fora.

Just like the whole Android/iOS thing. It's done. Get over your collectives selves and just enjoy what you got and stop pissing in other people's Wheaties. Yeah we all know that there are issues on both sides, but fer cryin' out loud each side treats the other like baby beaters, it's not that important ultimately.

[RANT OFF]
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Just like the whole Android/iOS thing. It's done. Get over your collectives selves

]

Pffffffsst! *waves hand*
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Incidentally, what the iPhone does is techincally not HDR, it's "tone mapping"... according to Alex Lindsay.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    algralgr Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Incidentally, what the iPhone does is techincally not HDR, it's "tone mapping"... according to Alex Lindsay.

It's tone mapping OF AN HDR IMAGE! Sheesh. And even if it doesn't save the .hdr data, that is just a software update away - and probably not of interest to the point and shoot crowd who will benefit from what Apple has done here.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Point in fact - I know how to do it, have done it, but don't need the attendant messiness to maintain it. I get it. Not in fact intimidated - but there is a huge divide between those that what to do it cuz it's fun, there's some cool stuff in the jb community, and those that just want a device that works. So stop being condescending. Everytime you react you are just feeding the need for the button pushers.

By now there is enough history that each side should just say "Pffffffsst!" *waves hand* when someone goes off. And you know what - they don't need to agree on it but they do need to get over themselves and just get on with enjoying what they are doing instead of wasting pixels in the fora.

Just like the whole Android/iOS thing. It's done. Get over your collectives selves and just enjoy what you got and stop pissing in other people's Wheaties. Yeah we all know that there are issues on both sides, but fer cryin' out loud each side treats the other like baby beaters, it's not that important ultimately.

[RANT OFF]

You're funny. *3 snaps in Z formashun, Ya'll*

[PRAISE ON!]
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by algr View Post

It's tone mapping OF AN HDR IMAGE! Sheesh. And even if it doesn't save the .hdr data, that is just a software update away - and probably not of interest to the point and shoot crowd who will benefit from what Apple has done here.

I think you're not quite there. An HDR image is composed of a series of pictures of the same subject taken at varying aperture settings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Quote:

In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminances between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wider dynamic range allows HDR images to more accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight.[1]

The two main sources of HDR imagery are computer renderings and merging of multiple photographs, the latter of which in turn are individually referred to as low dynamic range (LDR)[2] or standard dynamic range (SDR)[3] photographs.

Tone mapping techniques, which reduce overall contrast to facilitate display of HDR images on devices with lower dynamic range, can be applied to produce images with preserved or exaggerated local contrast for artistic effect.

If the image was a true HDR photo, then the various levels and contrast would remain adjustable. I think Apple's tone mapped image is basically comprised of 3 shots taken with high/medium/low aperture settings, then composited.... thus, it's a tone map.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

I think Apple's tone mapped image is basically comprised of 3 shots taken with high/medium/low aperture settings, then composited.... thus, it's a tone map.

Since when has Apple's marketing-speak ever been accurate? Did you forget that they called their new screen a "Retina Display"?

Is the iPad magical?

Apple commonly uses words in a bizarre manner. Likely it comes from the top down, as Steve is famous for it.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Since when has Apple's marketing-speak ever been accurate? Did you forget that they called their new screen a "Retina Display"?

Is the iPad magical?

Apple commonly uses words in a bizarre manner. Likely it comes from the top down, as Steve is famous for it.

If it's "inaccurate" then it's a lie, if it's lie then it's illegal and potentially very costly for the company. Marketing typically doesn't risk lying, what thy do is use ambiguous terminology and/or terms that evoke a positive response.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:

I think you're not quite there. An HDR image is composed of a series of pictures of the same subject taken at varying aperture settings.

Varying the aperture changes what is in focus and the effective focal length of the lens, so the images are not exactly superimposable. Vary the shutter speed instead.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

I must suck at knowing what makes a photo good, but I really like that the HDR pic better. It seems to be what you actually see when you're standing there snapping the photo...