iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Coverart has been added to the Amazon link. I don't know if it is the old one or not.

Nah - that's a customer loaded image from 'Jimbo' added today.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Thanks Apple, gives us our new iLife. My 09 seems to beachball a lot and I want some new features.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A Mac-focused event at the end of this month, like they used to do? iLife and Mac OS X 10.7 demo?

No way. Am I the only one here to whom the word 'Mac-only' sounds preposterous?
  • Reply 25 of 90
    I'm hoping for a big update to iWeb. When are they going to get this cloud thing together? I want personal domain email for MobileMe.

And about a hundred more things for MobileMe.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would normally be excited by the Parallels 6 but our Realtor MLS system here in west Florida FINALLY started offering a Mac interface directly which works like a charm .

NO MORE F****G Windows Needed ... Yahoooooooooo!

its a great feeling isn't it.....i've been windows free for 4.5 years never looked back
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I'm hoping for a big update to iWeb. When are they going to get this cloud thing together? I want personal domain email for MobileMe.

And about a hundred more things for MobileMe.

Like a spam filter that even comes within the same ball park as gmail. That doesn't declare CL responses spam automatically, when they are legitimate. That doesn't let a dozen spam messages through every day. I get no spam and no false positives on gmail, mobileme though is a disaster and that is why I actually didn't renew my subscription. I can do everything I need with dropbox except wireless syncing of my calendar and contacts with my iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Never fails...... I just ordered my new 27'' i7 imac.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

ILife 11 should have some good updates. Maybe thats why they skipped iLife 10. I think it was meant to be released at the press event a bit ago (guitar for GarageBand) but was delayed. Can't wait tbh though.

Is this going to be an Intel Only Release?
  • Reply 30 of 90
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Like a spam filter that even comes within the same ball park as gmail. That doesn't declare CL responses spam automatically, when they are legitimate. That doesn't let a dozen spam messages through every day. I get no spam and no false positives on gmail, mobileme though is a disaster and that is why I actually didn't renew my subscription. I can do everything I need with dropbox except wireless syncing of my calendar and contacts with my iPhone.

In other words, Google knows best what's a spam and what to trust.

Good news for a bot, somber thoughts on the ruse.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do current buyers get the update free? Or do they have to buy it a second time? If the later, shouldn't Apple announce that the new version is going to ship soon?

In the Apple world you only get the whole version free when you buy a Mac after the release and it isn't in the original box due to shipping times.

iLife is so cheap for the capabilities it offers that it's not a concern anyhow. Personally I'm always happy to pay a fair price for quality software.

---

We should remember that iLife 07 was posted like this on Amazon - but never came to pass.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

In the age of the Internet, who needs DVDs? Upload to YouTube or MobileMe, or stream it to your own TV with AppleTV.

That's a fallacy that many people keep repeating. Do you seriously not want your wedding video on a DVD, instead of floating around the Internet? I make DVDs of martial arts seminars - much better for teaching and learning when it's on DVD, and better quality.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannsh View Post

I thought the last one was, if not, since Snow Leopard is, one might think that iLife and eventually iWork will be Intel only, its been almost 5 years now since the switch, time to upgrade.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Since Apple has pretty much turned it's back on the Mac OS, I would expect iLife 11 to be iOS based and work only on the iPad. I would also expect it to be a crippled shadow of it's former self.

As for iDVD, forget it. Steve Jobs hates shiny discs. The new iTunes logo is proof of that.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do current buyers get the update free? Or do they have to buy it a second time? If the later, shouldn't Apple announce that the new version is going to ship soon?

Historically you had to buy the full package. But historically you also had to buy the full $129 Mac OS X and we saw that change. So who knows what will happen with iLife. I would plan to buy it in full in case they stick with history and it will be a happy change if they make an 'upgrade' package.

Also, the Amazon page is already to 'sign up to be notified' which means they have zero info about an actual release. Which makes sense given there were no details about what's in the package. If they had real info that would have been part of it
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquadjcity View Post

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

Either they build in simple DVD mastering to iMovie or they tell you to buy third-party DVD authoring software (like Roxio Toast Titanium).

It wouldn't be the first time that Apple has dumped legacy multimedia content authoring. I recall they had some sort of web photo gallery feature that was dumped a couple of years ago.

I doubt if the current iDVD application would stop working. It would probably function fine for a year or two.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

It could be nice that it incorporate some face time support thru it. the base of macs with a front camera is kind of big now and could add even more value to the Mac computers.

Facetime support would be with ichat NOT ilife

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquadjcity View Post

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

no one has said they are getting rid of iDVD at all. but there are several things they could do

1. continue to not update it.

2. take it off the disk but make it a free download from the site

3. blend the appropriate functions into imovie and iphoto

4. shift the various 'upload to youtube' type functions into an 'share' app that would also have the burning functions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannsh View Post

likely since they went intel only for the the OS already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Since Apple has pretty much turned it's back on the Mac OS,

based on what? that they didn't release 10.7 this year, one year after 10.6 even though they generally have the OS on a two year cycle.

based on their putting a focus on new tech this year at WWDC for the keynote, despite having several Mac OS panels and such.

Fact is that right now there's really not anywhere for OSX to go. There's no new tech. iOS is where the changes were possible. So that's where they went. It doesn't mean that they don't have a whole building of folks working on better computer hardware and improvements in Mac OSX
  • Reply 38 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I don't care so much about iLife rather more about iWork. The two have always been released together. Now with the iPad version release indicating the iWork resources were diverted that tradition is now gone.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Facetime support would be with ichat NOT ilife

no one has said they are getting rid of iDVD at all. but there are several things they could do

1. continue to not update it.

2. take it off the disk but make it a free download from the site

3. blend the appropriate functions into imovie and iphoto

4. shift the various 'upload to youtube' type functions into an 'share' app that would also have the burning functions

likely since they went intel only for the the OS already.

based on what? that they didn't release 10.7 this year, one year after 10.6 even though they generally have the OS on a two year cycle.

based on their putting a focus on new tech this year at WWDC for the keynote, despite having several Mac OS panels and such.

Fact is that right now there's really not anywhere for OSX to go. There's no new tech. iOS is where the changes were possible. So that's where they went. It doesn't mean that they don't have a whole building of folks working on better computer hardware and improvements in Mac OSX

There is plenty of new technology and advances in current technology. Your point about 18 month cycles is key.

Apple has a huge market presence in the embedded space and to ease off on that would be a huge mistake.

OS X is churning along as always. People need to stop worrying. With Bertrand and Scott from NeXT overseeing their major OS X improvements nothing but evolution will come in the next release with a few revolutionary solutions.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Looking forward for both programs, though I doubt I will buy either right away. I am happy with parallels 5, and since no new Windows or OSX has been released I don't see a reason to upgrade right now. I am also fairly happy with iLife right now as well. But I'm ready for something awesome that will change my mind.