iMac II/G4 = New Powermac G5???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone think that the announcement of a G4 in the new iMac (Time article) means that we'll see G5's in the PM line? Hope so! Full Speed Ahead!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    G5 or dual G4s across the board
  • Reply 2 of 27
    G5's don't exist.

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 27
    as said on another thread, this quote worries me:

[quote]

on the new iMac, which features a fast G4 chip, just like Apple's top-of-the-line machines.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by NeXuS:

<strong>Does anyone think that the announcement of a G4 in the new iMac (Time article) means that we'll see G5's in the PM line? Hope so! Full Speed Ahead!</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's not a peep about it in the article. Since this is by and large a very flattering interview type situation, wouldn't it be wise for free publicity's sake to mention the Pentium IV killer you are launching at the same show.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Someone mentions in the article the iMac gets a G4 like the desktops. SO!? The current desktops have G4s do they not? Just because they know about the iMac AND only the iMac doesn't mean they have any idea about the rest of the hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I know exactly what will happen. Apple will release the PowerMacs we've been waiting for at speeds upwards of 1GHz (possibly even G5s), but they'll be over two grand at the entry level. Everybody will drool over the specs until they realize they can't afford one.

I don't know, Apple always seems to have the ability to release products that I really like at around 50% more than the price I'm willing to pay, like the iPod and DVD iBook...the iBook is a good deal though. But I don't really need one.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    nexusnexus Posts: 10member
    The quote about the new iMac having a G4 "Like the High-end Machines" kinda set me back a bit too. The fact that a new iMac is coming out hasn't been a secret though and I don't really think that this is the only product that all the hype was set up for. If it is then there wills be a lot of pissed off people in about 12 hours from now.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    The question is do they all have G4s. Apple needs the G4 for iDVD, encoding would be too slow without altivec. It may be that only the top end machine (with the superdrive) has a G4.

Personally I do believe in G5s tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    ON a slight bit further reflection, the focus of the article is the iMac given its breathtaking new design (iPhoto fits in with the iMac since it is going to be one of the selling points). Really a PowerMac update almost certainly is not going to be of any real interest to general consumers (especially if it is just a speed/feature bump).

The ibook was rumored at most to have a speed bump, perhaps colors, which isn't that exciting either. I still think Steve's discussion of additional digital lifestyle devices (which is the same line they've been using since the iPod) pretty well rules out an Apple camera or PDA or automatic breath mint dispenser.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: BobtheTomato ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I find it hard to believe there will not be a camera as a campanion to iPhoto.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I find it hard to believe there will not be a camera as a campanion to iPhoto.</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Are other noncomputer appliances on the horizon? "We have some ideas," says Jobs, adding that Apple would enter the marketplace "where we think we can make a contribution." For instance? Jobs sits back, smiles and declines to elaborate. Clearly, he's already working on something new. You can bet it's the best thing that Apple has ever done."

He isn't even hinting at a new device to go with the iMac. iTunes was around for a while before the iPod, and if there is an Apple digital camera, it might be the same idea (kinda nice, you can blame the camera companies for any problems while you work out the bugs/flaws inthe software and then release iTake when the software is at version 2.0).

Strange wild crazy thought comes to mind, but I will save for another time
  • Reply 12 of 27
    nexusnexus Posts: 10member
    I never thought of the G4 only being in the top end iMac. I guess this could be a possibility. I think the whole iMac line needs to move into G4 though. The xtra power will be needed to make this whole digital hub thing fly smoothly. OS X on a G3 just doesn't cut it. It works...just not the way it should.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

"Are other noncomputer appliances on the horizon? "We have some ideas," says Jobs, adding that Apple would enter the marketplace "where we think we can make a contribution." For instance? Jobs sits back, smiles and declines to elaborate. Clearly, he's already working on something new. You can bet it's the best thing that Apple has ever done."

He isn't even hinting at a new device to go with the iMac. iTunes was around for a while before the iPod, and if there is an Apple digital camera, it might be the same idea (kinda nice, you can blame the camera companies for any problems while you work out the bugs/flaws inthe software and then release iTake when the software is at version 2.0).

Strange wild crazy thought comes to mind, but I will save for another time</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would they not announce a digital device?

IT WILL NOT HARM HARDWARE SALES FOR THEM

IF FACT IT WOULD HELP THEIR SALES

WHY NOT TELL?!?

-Paul
  • Reply 14 of 27
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>G5 or dual G4s across the board</strong><hr></blockquote>

Backing off the G5???
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Either the PowerMac has Dual G4s or it will have the fabled G5. Has to, has to. I don't think the iBook will get a boost anymore. That can wait until MWT.

::save pennies::
  • Reply 16 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It would be odd to mention a new app but not a new peripheral. probably means that there isn't one (yet).
  • Reply 17 of 27
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    One thing we need to ask ourselves, does Steve really need 2.5 hours to introduce the iMac and iPhoto? It seems 1.5 hours should be plenty. Now, Steve also took an hour or more to introduce the G4 in Aug. 99. Take that as you will.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>One thing we need to ask ourselves, does Steve really need 2.5 hours to introduce the iMac and iPhoto? It seems 1.5 hours should be plenty. Now, Steve also took an hour or more to introduce the G4 in Aug. 99. Take that as you will.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The keynote is only 2 hours, not 2.5 anymore.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i really hope for G5 and great speed increases at MWSF too....but i keep hearing that there must be more coming then just this new imac because of all the Hype apple has been doing lately....i don't buy it....yes there could be more...but the iMac basically saved apple all by itself 3 years ago...now a totally new iMac is being released bringing dvd burning and more to the mainstream consumer...i think they would have reason enough with just this iMac to hype MWSF to hell and back....g
  • Reply 20 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>It would be odd to mention a new app but not a new peripheral. probably means that there isn't one (yet).</strong><hr></blockquote>

The apps mentioned in the article are mentioned because they are bundled with the iMac.