iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%

Comments

• Reply 141 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

even if Apple adds more carriers, they still need to compete with the upcoming challenger named: Windows Phone. Afterwars comes Android 3.0 (Gingerbread). all this will happen way before Apple goes multicarrier.

Good luck, Apple.

Microsoft hasn't exactly proven that it can roll out compelling software in the phone market. I would expect a lot of hype from them, but not much substance just like with the Zune device.
  • Reply 142 of 360
    They certainly haven't altered their Mac platform to drive pure overall numbers of devices. They seem content to sell the most high end devices and to grow that segment. If they made a bunch of cheap Macs, they would sell more of them and they haven't done it.

Are they taking the same approach with the iPhone. We don't care about selling the most as much as we care about selling the best/high end of the market?
  • Reply 143 of 360
    I see lots of people with iPhone's but I can honestly say I haven't seen a single person with an Android phone. Maybe they are all hiding them. Somebody must be shifting lots of them.

Honestly have you seen the Android Marketplace? It looks so amateurish compared to the AppStore it's unbelievable.
  • Reply 144 of 360
    This drop in market share brought to you by AT&T?.
  • Reply 145 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I wonder how much apple cares about selling the most devices

Probably not all that much as long as they and their developers continue reaping most of the profits. They'll always be making the best phones and computers, and making the most money from them, which is all that really matters.
  • Reply 146 of 360
    OMG, Apple is a complete failure. They're going out of business for sure, now!
  • Reply 147 of 360
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

of course yopu lumped yourself into which category?
  • Reply 148 of 360
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As I noted previously, I believe for all practical purposes all that will remain will be Android and iOS... Android representing the floor and middle, iOS retaining the high-end.

Microsoft may be able to make a come back. If they do it will be at RIM's expense. Clearly the long term prospects for any of the OS vendors is the ecosystem. Right now Apple has the best, but Google and MS are also capable of developing a competitive ecosystem. RIM, not so much.

As long as Facebook and Twitter stay independent, any of those three smartphone platforms stands a chance to prosper.

As I said in another thread, MS should go head to head with RIM in the enterprise space and forget about the consumers until they kill off RIM, which should be doable.
  • Reply 149 of 360
    This is actually awesome. To be honest, I've been quite annoyed by the great unwashed that are buying up Macs and especially iPhones like crazy. Maybe now that Android phones and Android tablets is the new hip thing, they can all follow that pied piper.

Maybe we'll finally have some peace to enjoy the Mac and iOS and iPad and so on, without Apple being under huge, massive pressure to be "Number 1" in mobile phones -- part of this pressure led to antennagate (regardless of whether the hardware was not as expected or not).

Maybe we'll get our peace of mind back and Apple can focus on what they do best.

Maybe enough people will want Android stuff we can actually get physically officially available iPhone4 and iPad in, oh, the entire world, outside of the very, very few countries where it has launched.
  • Reply 150 of 360
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

but how many of those android users also own an iPod touch?

three types of android users:

Apple haters: They will never buy anything with a bitten apple logo.

Verizon subscribers: They want an iPhone but can't/won't switch to AT&T.

Cheapskates: They get sucked in to the BOGO deals & cheap hardware.

Oh please. You must have a very George Bush Jr. outlook of the world. With us or against us right?

I'm an Apple user (Mac), waiting for iPad 2 and still bought a Nexus One. There are things I love about Android and would want on a smartphone that the iPhone just can't/won't offer right now. Free navigation, widgets (I use FB, Google News and Weather, Astrid and Google Calendar everyday) and wifi hotspot functionality to name just three. Bring all that to the iPhone and I might consider switching.

That's not to say I think iOS is better or worse. It's just not good for me in the smartphone space. In the tablet space though, I think the iPad will rule for at least the next year for certain. We'll see what kind of competition Android puts up in 2011.
  • Reply 151 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

of course yopu lumped yourself into which category?

It's not for me to say.
  • Reply 152 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I'm an Apple user (Mac), waiting for iPad 2 and still bought a Nexus One. There are things I love about Android and would want on a smartphone that the iPhone just can't/won't offer right now. Free navigation, widgets (I use FB, Google News and Weather, Astrid and Google Calendar everyday) and wifi hotspot functionality to name just three. Bring all that to the iPhone and I might consider switching.

You're assuming that Android will be offering those things. Most likely, as the carriers exert more and more control over the platform, it will not.
  • Reply 153 of 360
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

It's not for me to say.

Then don't make that decision for me as well...lets just stick to the subject and leave the personalities and people out of it....too many times these dicussions turn to a personal nature and I hate that.....
  • Reply 154 of 360
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.

Quoted for truth. And worth repeating. This is exactly how I feel. And I usually make the same recommendations. Any friends who won't fiddle too much with a phone I send straight to the Apple store. People who have the capacity to actually tolerate exploring a handset for more than a few minutes, I usually tell them to at least try playing with an Android device at Best Buy. And ultimately, I always help my friends get what's best for them regardless of my preferences.
  • Reply 155 of 360
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It's not for me to say.

Ha Ha! Yesterday it was with the likes of Giordano Bruno.
  • Reply 156 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

More importantly they [Apple/carrier] need to (though I'm doubtful they will) offer a fully subsidized iPhone. That right I said Free* iPhone!

* With a 2 year contract
  • Reply 157 of 360
    I really don't think that Apple is concerned with being the market share leader. Would be nice, but I think that keeping their margins healthy is more important. I also think that as the iPad gets into more people's hands it will move more people to the iPhone as it is doing with Macs. Being number 1 in sales is nice but it doesn't necessarily translate to great revenue, which is what is important to corporations and shareholders.
  • Reply 158 of 360
    Quote:

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

Well, sure, Apple could rush out the gate with a very different iPhone for Verizon, but it makes sense to wait until they can release a universally compatible device. Technology has only recently provided the tools that might make this possible. And who knows the terms of their agreement with AT&T. That might have held them off until recently.

In any case, Android is rising because it is a successful OEM product which is appearing on all manner of fine and crappy devices. Any decline in marketshare for Apple at this point is not because Apple is losing sales, but rather because Android is selling more. No surprises there. We'll see some heavy-duty Apple damage if they release the iPhone on other carriers (especially Verizon) but Android, in the long run, and at least in terms of market share, should be compared against other OEM brands. They've got no real OEM competition right now. Microsoft might have a say in that, but who knows.

Good Reading
  • Reply 159 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jessethouin View Post

Market Cap Overview:

AAPL: 247.84B

MSFT: 217.12B

GOOG: 153.33B

Apple, Inc., will be just fine.

This is a useful reminder.

But not surprising. Here's a question: How much cash flow does Google generate from Android? (It's not a trick question).
  • Reply 160 of 360
    Quote:

I agree with you and disagree with you. Apples only has the monopoly strategy on the USA. Apple does not have a monopoly strategy on other parts of the world. well only with the iphone that is.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly on anything. Even their iTunes store isn't a monopoly as many would like to believe.