Suppliers preparing for 2nd-gen iPad launch in Q1 2011 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's overseas touch panel and reinforced glass suppliers are said to be preparing for the launch of Apple's second-generation iPad in the first quarter of 2011.

According to Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes, the suppliers are completing validation for the second-generation iPad, which will maintain the same 9.7-inch screen when it debuts in the first quarter of 2011.

"Component suppliers of iPad are expected to start shipments for the second-generation iPad at the beginning of 2011," the report said.

Specifically cited suppliers were TPK Touch Solutions, WinTek, Cando, Cimei Innolux. Together, they are said to be validating "ultra-thin glass-based touch panels with Apple."

As reported last week by AppleInsider, Apple plans to move aggressively on adding FaceTime functionality to its entire line of iOS devices, leaving the iPad as the last device to receive the upgrade. A person with proven knowledge of the company's future plans indicated that an iPad equipped with a forward facing camera is already in the advanced testing stages at Apple.

Though Apple typically follows an annual upgrade pattern for its devices, it was said that Apple could refresh the iPad line ahead of this year's holiday season. That person indicated that the FaceTime-equipped iPad was tracking for an introduction no later than the first quarter of 2011.

FaceTime is Apple's open standard for video chat. Currently available on the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch, it requires Wi-Fi to operate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Apple should get it here BEFORE the competition gets theirs to market! If not, they should at least announce the fact that it is coming soon. This would stop many from purchasing one of the others.

Face time will be HUGE. This will make the iPad one of the best selling Apple products in a LONG time.

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 38
    This makes sense. Undoubtedly they'll go to an annual refresh cycle, and this move will set it into the right spot.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A person with proven knowledge of the company's future plans indicated that an iPad equipped with a forward facing camera is already in the advanced testing stages at Apple.

So much for those who defended the original exclusion. They claimed that it would give "up the nose" shots of the speaker, and so Apple was wise to exclude the functionality.

Maybe Apple had its own agenda for excluding the functionality?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I'm waiting, I'm waiting.

I've already setup a credit at my Apple reseller - they take trade-ins - for the next model. I do a few regular video chats and my friends always get pissed when I Skype them from the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Apple should get it here BEFORE the competition gets theirs to market! If not, they should at least announce the fact that it is coming soon. This would stop many from purchasing one of the others.

Face time will be HUGE. This will make the iPad one of the best selling Apple products in a LONG time.

Skip

And that will stop people from buying the current iPad knowing a new one is scheduled on the horizon.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    One year cycles give enough time to the competitors/cloners to catch up.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Just like with the iPhone, they will only catch up on spec lists, if even there (how long till iPhone competitors actually have Retina equivalent displays, for example). They won't catch up on overall design, build quality and, most importantly, software and user experience.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Lke they did with the iPod?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    No surprise here. I'm just wondering how long it will take me before I buy the new model.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

And that will stop people from buying the current iPad knowing a new one is scheduled on the horizon.

Which is why it's never going to happen. There are plenty of countries/regions still waiting for the current ipad to be released. this is just the same bs story being recycled over and over. It makes no sense for Apple to release the 2nd version now, and sadly, the competition is no where near Apple on this front-- further reason to continue to saturate with v1.

According to what I've read, the Samsung Galaxy tab is carrier only(big mistake), likely over priced and lacks the robust app ecosystem that makes the ipad what it is. Flash and widgets can't make up for that, though the main reason I have held off on the ipad is .. Flash
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

though the main reason I have held off on the ipad is .. Flash

Two reasons for me: I would use it to surf, but it cannot access most web video.

I would use it to watch other video, but the screen is the wrong size.

And the inclusion of iOS with all its severe limitations also makes me uninterested in an iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Which is why it's never going to happen. There are plenty of countries/regions still waiting for the current ipad to be released. this is just the same bs story being recycled over and over. It makes no sense for Apple to release the 2nd version now, and sadly, the competition is no where near Apple on this front-- further reason to continue to saturate with v1.

According to what I've read, the Samsung Galaxy tab is carrier only(big mistake), likely over priced and lacks the robust app ecosystem that makes the ipad what it is. Flash and widgets can't make up for that, though the main reason I have held off on the ipad is .. Flash

Even Motorola is holding off on releasing a tablet until Android 3 is ready.. I think Samsung rushed into the tablet game. Even Google is saying Froyo isn't optimized for tablet use. And I agree Samsung putting the Tab in the hands of the greedy carriers is a bad mistake. The US version of the Galaxy doesn't even have phone functionality unlike the European version which totally makes a two year contract unjustified. Like people need to sign two years of their life away?..
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

I've only (barely) held off buying an iPad due to no video-conferencing ability. The next-gen is a definite buy.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Heh we can't even buy 1st gen yet in Denmark.

It's s fucking joke, i hate reading news about Apple products, because at the time we can buy it the next generation is already out.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

This makes sense. Undoubtedly they'll go to an annual refresh cycle, and this move will set it into the right spot.

And an annual product cycle is more than enough. First it's just insane to expect something new every few months. Second, it's even harder to decide when to buy a product, if the refresh cycles are even shorter. This month, next month, maybe one more ... One year is absolutely fine.

I just hope they add the retina display soon! This will be the iPad generation I'll grab.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KhaelSan View Post

Heh we can't even buy 1st gen yet in Denmark.

It's s fucking joke, i hate reading news about Apple products, because at the time we can buy it the next generation is already out.

Germany is really close to Denmark. Get yours there ...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    They'd be stupid to miss the holiday season. The iPad is going to be the big seller this Christmas. Q1 2011 would be the absolute worst time to launch a new model. It'd also mean they'd need to have iOS 4.3 ready by then. Seems unlikely.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

And an annual product cycle is more than enough. First it's just insane to expect something new every few months. Second, it's even harder to decide when to buy a product, if the refresh cycles are even shorter. This month, next month, maybe one more ... One year is absolutely fine.

I just hope they add the retina display soon! This will be the iPad generation I'll grab.

Once a year updates is fine for any single manufacturer. The issue is that there will soon be many different tablet computers available to the consumer, from many different manufacturers. While Apple may only update once a year, between all of the other manufacturers combined, updates will come fast and furious. It's quite possible Apple iPad owners may get tired of waiting a full year for an update, when competitors offer what they want when they want it. Look at how the iPhone only gets updated once a year, but Android phones get nearly continuous updates. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. each have their own release cycle, but combined, it seems like there's a new phone every month or so. Each one slightly improved over the previous. I suspect there's already quite a few iPhone owners looking at Android with a little bit of envy. Of course, phones are a bit different because of the multi-year service committment that must be made. A person can't easily swap to the new phone without paying full (non-subsidized) price. Then again, you'd pay full price for a tablet as well.

But yes, the retina display would be sweet.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

That seems impossible to me. The iPad has 132 ppi along one axis. The iPhones had 163 ppi so when the doubled it it gave it 326 ppi. 20/20 vision seems to be considered the minimum level for what is a ?retina display? which makes the minimum 286 ppi.

Now, doubling the iPad?s resolution (4x as many pixels overall) to 264 ppi would be great to have and would allow for the scaling that made it easy for iOS/App Store developers, but it would still be 22 ppi lower than the minimum they could feasibly call a retina display if they are basing it on 20/20 vision.

Of course they could trademark the term since they apparently made it up or move the goal posts since even 20/22 or better vision is still the minority, but that will have to dealt with if and when the redesign what retina display means.

I wouldn?t be complaining about a 264 ppi display that isn?t called a retina display. That is, afterall, a resolution of 2048x1536. That?s more horizontal lines than the 27? iMac and 80% of it vertical lines.

Because that seems excessive I would doubt that even that is possible for the next release, especially when the competition from eReaders are using eInk and the competition from tablets are using cheap TN panels with 16:9 panels. There just doesn?t seem to be a reason to compete on the display when Apple is still so far ahead.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Once a year updates is fine for any single manufacturer. The issue is that there will soon be many different tablet computers available to the consumer, from many different manufacturers. While Apple may only update once a year, between all of the other manufacturers combined, updates will come fast and furious. It's quite possible Apple iPad owners may get tired of waiting a full year for an update, when competitors offer what they want when they want it. Look at how the iPhone only gets updated once a year, but Android phones get nearly continuous updates. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. each have their own release cycle, but combined, it seems like there's a new phone every month or so. Each one slightly improved over the previous. I suspect there's already quite a few iPhone owners looking at Android with a little bit of envy. Of course, phones are a bit different because of the multi-year service committment that must be made. A person can't easily swap to the new phone without paying full (non-subsidized) price. Then again, you'd pay full price for a tablet as well.

But yes, the retina display would be sweet.

I don't know whether people really want to buy a new iPad/iPhone every half year. Things things are also pretty expensive! In addition, it's not just about hardware. When compared to Android, Apple has a shorter release cycle for iOS updates. E.g. the forthcoming 4.2 in November.