RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

What are a few inches between good friends?

A good time.
  • Reply 22 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1st post woot. Will be looking forward to how this RIM pad plays out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

What are you 10 years old?

In my 71 years, one of the most valuable lessons was to enjoy lifes little pleasures.

• Reply 23 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Oh, the good old times, the running in the streets and playing marbles and Game Boy... I wish I were 10 y.o. again.

But no sex. I'll pass.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and will forgo the BlackBerry 6 operating system for a new OS developed by QNX.

What? A new OS? Another app store? How many OSs will app developers support?
  • Reply 25 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The current 10" iPad is textbook size (A4 inc the bezel/margin, A5 without). It is ideal for many things but larger than essential for a single-column page reader. The 7" format would be the size and take the place of the paperback novel (A6). Ideal for reading and playing games on the train or bus (compared to iPad and the iPod touch, A7) and it would fit in suit jacket pockets and larger trouser pockets. I could see Apple pushing one to market and it being a success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoFro View Post

Can't imagine myself buying a 7 inch tablet. Too big for the pockets and too small for couch playing imo.

Stephen Colbert pulled an iPad out of his suit jacket at tha Grammys... Probably a special pocket, though...

Maybe we should all start wearing lab coats and scrubs.

In this day and age, it would not be surprising for clothing manufactuers to change their offerings to accomodate our devices -- larger pockets.

• Reply 26 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But no sex. I'll pass.

Didn't you ever play "doctor" at the age of 10? Maybe, you were doing it wrong!

• Reply 27 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Stephen Colbert pulled an iPad out of his suit jacket at tha Grammys... Probably a special pocket, though...

Maybe we should all start wearing lab coats and scrubs.

In this day and age, it would not be surprising for clothing manufactuers to change their offerings to accomodate our devices -- larger pockets.

So you think the XY-Pad form factors are going to drive new trends in fashion. Could be interesting.

Gucci and co will have something to think about.
  • Reply 28 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What? A new OS? Another app store? How many OSs will app developers support?

Actually, QNX predates OS X, modern Windows OSes, iOS, PalmOS, Android and Win Mobile OSes.

There were versions for Apple ][ and IBM/pc.

http://www.qnx.com/products/tools/qnx-momentics.html

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q1/.../be_qnx-1.html

Likely, this is a good decision for RIM.

I understand they have a robust development environment.

http://www.qnx.com/products/tools/qnx-momentics.html

• Reply 29 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Real creative name there: Blackpad. I wonder where they got the idea from?

The same place they got the form factor I bet... Which will be, let me guess, aluminum back, glass front, the front surrounded by a black border all tied in nicely by a silver bezel. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? Oh, it's right here in my hands while I type this post. Silly me, it's the iPad!
  • Reply 30 of 144
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes their were Tablets before the iPad but they weren't as popular. Then comes Apple with the iPad and it Spins the world like crazy and now we have all this competitors trying to bring out the so called "iPad Killer". IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN PEOPLE LET IT GO!!!

Why so defensive? Nobody said anything about an "iPad killer." Do you simply expect all companies to sit back and say, "Well, the iPad dominates the tablet market. Let's not try to get a share of that"? What if Apple had said, "Windows dominates the PC market. Let's forget this Mac garbage. We'll never beat them"?
  • Reply 31 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I wonder what consumer type is RIM going for? Average joe consumer type? Tech/geeky consumer? Or the business type consumer? Or hit and miss with all of the above..!?

Good question! IMHO, given RIM spent a lot of time and money mocking Apple's virtual keyboards and to this day run ads stating "I need both" I assume it will have a slide out keyboard () and be targeted at the same audience as their new smart phone ... i.e. they have no clue who the hell their audience is anymore!
  • Reply 32 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why so defensive? Nobody said anything about an "iPad killer." Do you simply expect all companies to sit back and say, "Well, the iPad dominates the tablet market. Let's not try to get a share of that"? What if Apple had said, "Windows dominates the PC market. Let's forget this Mac garbage. We'll never beat them"?

While not entirely disagreeing with you, your analogy is really a bit iffy. Apple was very strong in the PC market before Window's existed so one could argue Apple was always trying to recover. In fact history shows SJ decided profit was more important than market share anyway hence Apple overtaking MS this year in market cap.

Meanwhile re iPad, it seems fair to me that Apple fans can mock wannabe iPads to their heart's content here on a Mac forum. Especially when you consider the crap they had to take on this very forum from PC fans who stated ad nauseum 'Apple iPad will be an epic fail'. Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 33 of 144
    '
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

The same place they got the form factor I bet... Which will be, let me guess, aluminum back, glass front, the front surrounded by a black border all tied in nicely by a silver bezel. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? Oh, it's right here in my hands while I type this post. Silly me, it's the iPad!

You mean RIM won't do anything original? (I agree with you). Actually they just might add a few things they feel will make it even better and accelerate its failure.

At the end of the day the 'I hate Apple' folks will be divided up between all the pads from the copy crowd so RIM will have their work cut out making a profit and will ironically be fighting every other pad maker except Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 144
    Quote:

I'm sure they would have loved to call it the bPad, but they can't be THAT obvious!
  • Reply 35 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

'

You mean RIM won't do anything original? (I agree with you). Actually they just might add a few things they feel will make it even better and accelerate its failure.

At the end of the day the 'I hate Apple' folks will be divided up between all the pads from the copy crowd so RIM will have their work cut out making a profit and will ironically be fighting every other pad maker except Apple.

Really, how different can they make it? I'm pretty sure my flat panel TV looks a lot like yours and probably not the same brand. If RIMs tablet looks anything unlike the iPad you'll say "what an ugly POS" and if it resembles an iPad you'll say "omg they copied Apple design". Form factor is gonna get copied so get over it.
  • Reply 36 of 144
    I feel like "blackpad" lends itself to even more jokes than the iPad did.
  • Reply 37 of 144
    RIM will soon discover the only secret to their Blackberry's success was enterprise saturation and push. And perhaps a physical keyboard. None of that will help a tablet.
  • Reply 38 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John F. View Post

I really like that Apple has introduced the right form factor for the tablet computer. Apple does have a head start because of the available apps. Also I find the screen aspect ratio that Apple has chosen to be perfect for reading books and especially PDFs. Reading PDFs on a 16:9 screen like the Galaxy Tab is less than ideal.

But everything else is better widescreen. Like websites and videos, which seems to me to be the uses I'd want to work best.
  • Reply 39 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I wonder what consumer type is RIM going for? Average joe consumer type? Tech/geeky consumer? Or the business type consumer? Or hit and miss with all of the above..!?

They have two main customers, as I understand it. The business community they have locked up.

But their other big customer base is teenaged girls.

Likely they will concentrate on their established customers, and then try to expand the base.
  • Reply 40 of 144
    Quote:

Saturday Night Live ?