RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

Comments

• Reply 121 of 144
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Then again, vis-a-vis Android, iOS trends don't look so good either, and I have no doubt that Apple will continue to be successful for a long time.

Well the Android/Apple comparison is different from the Apple/RIM comparison in important ways. I won't bother calling them out here unless you make me.

Thompson
  • Reply 122 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

You should visit this link everyday: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

not necessarily to track the stock information, but for the headlines that appear below. There have been many significant articles recently about the iPhone's encroachment in the enterprise. Those headlines change hourly, and there's nothing apropos there right now. You can seek back through history, if you had the time or inkling, or you could just trust me.

And from a first-hand standpoint, my current employer, SAIC, just approved iPhone 4 for work use. My colleagues are swarming.

Thompson

I'll take a look.
  • Reply 123 of 144
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I'll take a look.

Just for kicks, I checked there right now, and one of the mentioned articles is there. Link:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39306303?__so...t%7C&par=yahoo

Thompson
  • Reply 124 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For those of us that follow such things, another couple of milestones have been reached-- one earlier today.

AAPL surpasses MSFT market value by $50 Billion.

AAPL market value is 1,135% of DELL market value.

... maybe Apple should take part of that $42 Billion cash, buy Dell, liquidate it, and pay off the shareholders.

Fabulous news, thanks for the historic update info. What an amazing story for those of us who have followed Apple from the beginning.

I'd just let Dell and shareholders go down the drain though
  • Reply 125 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, MS’ cap was over double what it is now, but remember that was all false inflation from the dotCom boom that made it so. What those graphs are really showing are a steady and consistence climb for Apple and stagnation for MS (when you factor in extra-market affects on those companies.

If Apple had nothing but vapourware with lofty promises and/or a huge E/P then I would fear that Apple’s growth bubble will pop, but as shareholders we know that their E/P isn’t egregious, that their earnings back up their growth rate, and that aren’t likely to even acknowledge a product’s existence until it’s almost ready to ship (or at least the contracts for components and manufacturing have been inked, even if there are occasional hiccups). Take Palm, for example, I wish I would have bought them for the short term when they announced WebOS. They jumped 14x in about 5-6 months, but that dropped after they couldn’t deliver on actual sales and profit.

PS: MS’ still makes more profit than Apple, and as of the last earnings made slightly more revenue. That isn’t to last long based on current trends, but I would not count MS out when they have so much control and profit to make a huge comeback if they get their internal structure and management issues resolved. They may be a slow and inefficient giant, but it will take a lot to bring down this giant. At this point MS is more immobilized* than hurt.

* Pun intended in referring to their inability to be dominate on smartphones and tablets.

When I worked for IBM (1964-1980) they were the unassailable 800 lb gorilla. Big Blue had 97% of the mainframe computer market. In the mid 1970s, DEC, Data General and a few other minicomputers began to challenge IBM's dominance. They still had 97% of mainframes and IBM even introduced some minicomputer class systems of their own.

But the market emphasis had shifted (for lots of reasons) from mainframes to minis.

Personal computers (called microcomputers) were around then, but some technology converged around 1978-9 that shifted the focus once again. That convergence was three things: the Apple ][, Floppy Drives and VisiCalc.

I still worked for IBM, but, with 2 others, had opened a computer store in 1978. One of my partners was a known expert on the Apple ][-- and he was asked to beta test VisiCalc.

Zap!

When that package hit the market it said: I'm here! I'm serious! I can do the job (your work)! I can get it done, NOW!

It helped that a solution like this cost $3,000 or less, but the driving factor was geting it done, NOW!

The typical backlog to get the Data Processing Department to implement an application for an enterprise department was 18 months or longer. The manager of an evolving department (or a new product) could not afford to wait that long for the information he needed-- it was perishable.

So, typically, a couple of smart people in the department would slap together a few quick spreadsheets and voila-- you had a budget, a payroll or product forecast.

So these department managers said: $3,000 and some part time effort vs major $ and 18-month wait...

Data Processing? Data Processing? I don't need no stinkin' Data Processing!

And they didn't. The emphasis had shifted again, and with it went the emphasis on the mainframe and the mini.

We were in the middle of Silicon Valley, selling this "solution" to all the Fortune 500s (IBM, Fairchild, Xerox, Applied Materials, Marriott, Intel, ADP....).

We were part of it, but didn't really recognize what was happening.

So, why am I going on about this?

I'll tell you why!

with the iPhone and the iPad * the emphasis has shifted again!

* (and all those that follow in their footsteps)

Floortops, Desktops, laptops aren't going to go away (we still have mainframes). But their halcyon days are gone -- they are today's legacy systems.

I can carry most of what [information] I need in my pocket or in my hand and have instantaneous access. The stuff I don't have with me, I can pull out of the air! I don't need to spend a lot of money, and I don't need any special training or preparation!

Legacy Computers? Legacy Computers? I don't need no stinkin' Legacy Computers!

... maybe a little premature-- but it's happening!

• Reply 126 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

It's even more impressive when you realize that, unlike the Microsoft chart, the Apple chart is a logarithmic scale.

Both charts are logarithmic, it just shows more clearly on the AAPL chart due to the larger vertical scale.
  • Reply 127 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

When I worked for IBM (1964-1980) they were the unassailable 800 lb gorilla. Big Blue had 97% of the mainframe computer market. In the mid 1970s, DEC, Data General and a few other minicomputers began to challenge IBM's dominance. They still had 97% of mainframes and IBM even introduced some minicomputer class systems of their own.

But the market emphasis had shifted (for lots of reasons) from mainframes to minis.

Personal computers (called microcomputers) were around then, but some technology converged around 1978-9 that shifted the focus once again. That convergence was three things: the Apple ][, Floppy Drives and VisiCalc.

I still worked for IBM, but, with 2 others, had opened a computer store in 1978. One of my partners was a known expert on the Apple ][-- and he was asked to beta test VisiCalc.

Zap!

When that package hit the market it said: I'm here! I'm serious! I can do the job (your work)! I can get it done, NOW!

It helped that a solution like this cost $3,000 or less, but the driving factor was geting it done, NOW!

The typical backlog to get the Data Processing Department to implement an application for an enterprise department was 18 months or longer. The manager of an evolving department (or a new product) could not afford to wait that long for the information he needed-- it was perishable.

So, typically, a couple of smart people in the department would slap together a few quick spreadsheets and voila-- you had a budget, a payroll or product forecast.

So these department managers said: $3,000 and some part time effort vs major $ and 18-month wait...

And they didn't. The emphasis had shifted again, and with it went the emphasis on the mainframe and the mini.

We were in the middle of Silicon Valley, selling this "solution" to all the Fortune 500s (IBM, Fairchild, Xerox, Applied Materials, Marriott, Intel, ADP....).

I'll tell you why!

Floortops, Desktops, laptops aren't going to go away (we still have mainframes). But their halcyon days are gone -- they are today's legacy systems.

I can carry most of what [information] I need in my pocket or in my hand and have instantaneous access. The stuff I don't have with me, I can pull out of the air! I don't need to spend a lot of money, and I don't need any special training or preparation!

I am so on the same page as you!

BTW: I gave up my job and I too opened an Apple store in 1978 after demoing an Apple ][ with Visicalc to my dad.

The demo was a shock to him. He had a massive main frame department at his company and had to wait days if not weeks to get answers to 'what ifs' in production (chemical plant). He opened his briefcase and took out some papers and read me numbers and formulae which I fed in to a spread sheet. I hit the button and he stared at the screen then he said change this and that and I pressed again and he said ... "Bloody Hell!".

He loaned me the money
  • Reply 128 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And speaking of the mainframe market, Ross Perot had the savvy idea, to put it simply, of renting time on these mainframes where he would lease out the time to smaller companies that could afford having their own machine and likely only needed periodic access. With this huge fortune he amassed he ended up being a large investor in NeXT.

Disclaimer: That is how I remember it but my memory is subject to more errors than Wikipedia baba booey baba booey
  • Reply 129 of 144
    Quote:

And speaking of the mainframe market, Ross Perot had the savvy idea, to put it simply, of renting time on these mainframes where he would lease out the time to smaller companies that could afford having their own machine and likely only needed periodic access. With this huge fortune he amassed he ended up being a large investor in NeXT.

Disclaimer: That is how I remember it but my memory is subject to more errors than Wikipedia baba booey baba booey

Pretty much right on!

Rumor at IBM was that as a freshman salesman, Ross made 200% of his annual quota in his first month on the job and first sale. Ross' company, EDS, did a lot of work for General Motors. GM bought EDS and with it, got Ross as a major shareholder. He pissed everyone off, so they paid him off. AIR, he eventually bought EDS back for pennies on the dollar.

• Reply 130 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am so on the same page as you!

BTW: I gave up my job and I too opened an Apple store in 1978 after demoing an Apple ][ with Visicalc to my dad.

The demo was a shock to him. He had a massive main frame department at his company and had to wait days if not weeks to get answers to 'what ifs' in production (chemical plant). He opened his briefcase and took out some papers and read me numbers and formulae which I fed in to a spread sheet. I hit the button and he stared at the screen then he said change this and that and I pressed again and he said ... "Bloody Hell!".

He loaned me the money

Exactly! I bet you could just see the wheels turning in his mind...

Then, they would ask:

How much does that program cost?

$79.

A month?

No, $79 total!

You reel that one in, and I'll go catch another!

Here's a picture of magic circa 1978:

On a 24 line, 40 column monochrome screen (uppercase only).

• Reply 131 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really, how different can they make it? I'm pretty sure my flat panel TV looks a lot like yours and probably not the same brand. If RIMs tablet looks anything unlike the iPad you'll say "what an ugly POS" and if it resembles an iPad you'll say "omg they copied Apple design". Form factor is gonna get copied so get over it.

Make it a different color, perhaps? How about different materials?... Polycarbonate plastics, liquid metal, oops...

When did Kindle go from white to become black er graphite like the iPad? Hmmm...

Here is a question Google will never find the answer to...

Hey Amazon, why the color change?

Did Apple's iPad introduced in April to us all, including Amazon, have anything to do with Amazon going back to the drawing board and R&D labs and that is what they came up with?

/

\\

/
  • Reply 132 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

RIM will soon discover the only secret to their Blackberry's success was enterprise saturation and push. And perhaps a physical keyboard. None of that will help a tablet.

Not quite. The concept of the iPad has impressed businesses so much that many of them are thinking of deploying them. But IT departments would have more trouble managing the different iPad and BlackBerry OSes. (BlackBerry has ~60% enterprise marketshare) BlackPad/BlackBerry integration (and the benefits to IT that go along with it) may be enough to make BlackPad a serious contender in the enterprise field. There is a market for this tablet.
  • Reply 133 of 144
    Quote:

Didn't you ever play "doctor" at the age of 10? Maybe, you were doing it wrong!

Veterinarian?
  • Reply 134 of 144
    So..... their taking advantage of young innocent teenage girls are they.
  • Reply 135 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

So..... their taking advantage of young innocent teenage girls are they.

... Be careful....

I think it has something to do with hard kbs for texting...

• Reply 136 of 144
    Quote:

Zap!

I'll tell you why!

Well Dick, from the the dates I see early 60's you and I both are legacy items. I spent some time at

NAS Alameda in the middle 60's along with a turn on the USS Coral Sea....
  • Reply 137 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Well Dick, from the the dates I see early 60's you and I both are legacy items. I spent some time at

NAS Alameda in the middle 60's along with a turn on the USS Coral Sea....

We honor you for your service... Nice props!

How's your cribbage... 24, and no more?

In 1978 IBM rented Mills College for 3 weeks. They brought in all the DP reps (mainframe computer sales/support) for a week of intense training (1 week per region). My team was responsible for motivating them to upgrade their customers from 360/DOS to 360/MVS -- a major, but necessary, conversion.

Long story short, after teaching the same class, 4 times per day, 6 days in a row, for 3 weeks... Techers and techees were exhausted! So, after the last graduation finale, we decided to invade Alameda Island... We were just juiced enough that we almost succeeded.

Some friendly SPs talked us out of doing ourselves harm.... Fun times!

• Reply 138 of 144

Earlier in this thread there were a few comments discussing if the iPad is too big for medical personnel.

Part of the discussion was whether the iPad would fit in the pockets of scrubs or lab coats.

My preliminary feedback from a student at a medical high school -- for scrubs, no livin' way!

I still don't know if a 7" would work in scrubs -- and don't know if either size would work in lab coats.

I wonder what the medicall facilities adopting the iPad are doing?

I need a no-hands iPad carry solution -- got my daughter to agree to make me an underarm quick-access holster.

Maybe, I'll be the first iPad slinger!

• Reply 139 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Earlier in this thread there were a few comments discussing if the iPad is too big for medical personnel.

Part of the discussion was whether the iPad would fit in the pockets of scrubs or lab coats.

My preliminary feedback from a student at a medical high school -- for scrubs, no livin' way!

I've been stating that since it was introduced. Even if they wanted the Apple product physics could make these smaller tablets running mobile OSes more viable.

Because of this I can see Apple creating a smaller tablet, but that would also mean a new UI for iOS, a new export option in the SDK and a separate area for the App Store. Besides the fact that all iProds have currently been accounted for, it seems too soon for Apple to add this complexity to it's ecosystem so soon, regardless of well the iPad is selling.
  • Reply 140 of 144
    Quote:

I've been stating that since it was introduced. Even if they wanted the Apple product physics could make these smaller tablets running mobile OSes more viable.

Because of this I can see Apple creating a smaller tablet, but that would also mean a new UI for iOS, a new export option in the SDK and a separate area for the App Store. Besides the fact that all iProds have currently been accounted for, it seems too soon for Apple to add this complexity to it's ecosystem so soon, regardless of well the iPad is selling.

As a replacement for a notebook or even a netbook, which is what they're lugging around in hospitals and doctors' office today, it looks pretty good as is.