Nielsen: Android overtakes Apple's iOS in latest US smartphone sales

Comments

• Reply 101 of 188
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

You probably know Google gives Android away for free. You might think Android development still costs Google money. Well, CEO Eric Schmidt tells Newsweek's Dan Lyons that Android phones already generate enough new ad revenue to cover Google's costs.

http://gizmodo.com/5655462/in-case-y...le-makes-money

Was that before or after Oracle sued them for infringing on Java?
  • Reply 102 of 188
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Since it is currently impossible for Google to release an iPhone-Killer, the strategy is classic: just flood the market with whatever you've got.
  • Reply 103 of 188
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How about "The total combined sales of Android phones (63 models, 6 different manufacturers, 10 carriers) finally overtake the sales of the iPhone (1 model, 1 manufacturer, 1)".

Numbers are only a guess so don't get all bent. If they are wrong, use the correct numbers. Same idea.

When I go to the Apple website, they have 3 models of iPhone available for sale, so come on, use the correct numbers.
  • Reply 104 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Market share absolutely matters to developers, and by extension should matter to end users . If there's one thing Ballmer has right (and he doesn't have much), it's DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!!!

Actually, MS lost the mobile space because they focused on developers and not the end user experience. They are seeing their Windows market share eroding in the face of the iOS halo effect - because of Apple's focus on end user experience.

The original iPhone didn't have apps, and neither did the 3G initially - yet they were a smashing success. Developers came to the App store (flocking in droves, actually) because of the ecosystem Apple had already established, so to me it's pretty obvious this whole "it's the developers" ranting is a bunch of crap.

No, the worst thing Apple could do is shift their primary focus to developers. Luckily they apparently know this and have no intention of doing so. Their focus is exactly where it needs to be - the end user of their products.

Quote:

I HAVE to have a Windows machine sitting next to my Mac - I have to have AutoCad, I have to have Oracle Primavera PPM, I have to Loadspring (which requires IE), I have to have several other pieces of Engineering software that isn't available on the Mac. Why isn't it???? Because developers have little interest in developing their software for a machine with a 5% market share...

Well, Autodesk is releasing AutoCAD for the Mac again. Times are changing. Do I expect the Mac to have equivalency with Windows? Nope - then again there are lots of Mac-only programs too. It's the nature of the beast.

Quote:

Same thing WILL happen to iOS if Jobs doesn't wake up.

Actually, the opposite of what you are touting is happening. AutoDesk is just the latest high profile example.

Adobe re-launched premiere elements. Not bad for a platform that not only has 5% but ships with free movie editing software.

EDIT: And how could I forget the literal game changer: Steam. Unthinkable just a year ago....

The Mac OS has never been stronger, and it's rapidly expanding - each quarter is surpassing the last. Not bad for a company who you insist that their company needs to pull their head out....

Quote:

And PLEASE, some of you, what the hell do I care as an end user what Apple's "Margin is", or "how much profit they make".... I could care less.. I would much rather the Mac and the iPhone to have industry standard software available to it - and the Mac doesn't and iOS won't if Jobs doesn't get his head out of his ass (again)....

I think you need to pull your head out of your myopia. Apple is the strongest they have ever been and are growing by leaps and bounds with profits that their competitors can only dream about at this point because they are doing the opposite of what you are advocating. Developers like Autodesk, Adobe and Valve are responding and doing exactly what you want.

You'll have to excuse me if I pick Apple's strategy over yours.
  • Reply 105 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post

I like Apple... but those drawings look totally bogus.

Only if you are capable of superficial analysis through the prism of market share alone.
  • Reply 106 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me: how does it benefit you as a customer that Apple charges higher margins than other companies?

If we were assuming that Android and iOS delivered the same experience you might have a point. As it is, you have succeeded in once again at merely executing a B grade troll.
  • Reply 107 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Who knows? I'd find it difficult to swallow the notion that only people who have bought an expensive phone are willing to part with 99p to buy an app. The price of the apps is so relatively negligable in comparison to the price of the device that I can't see even value shoppers deliberating over the cost of the apps and whether they should buy them or not.

When there is basically no cost differential between an Android feature phone and a dumb phone that doesn't support apps, then the price of the app is indeed a significant factor.

As the lack of revenue for Android developers vs. iPhone developers bares out....
  • Reply 108 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

But one has to remember, those profits, will only happen as long, as there is a healthy marketshare of revenue generating users

There, fixed that for you. I think it's pretty obvious who dominates that group too...
  • Reply 109 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Since it is currently impossible for Google to release an iPhone-Killer, the strategy is classic: just flood the market with whatever you've got.

Not every company decides to get into the hardware business. Google is using their OS as the iPhone killer which appears to be working.
  • Reply 110 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

OK, can i come over and see 4.2 running on your iPad right now (Like you said that you could)???

I'll have 4.2 on my iPad before the Nexus one users were updated with 2.2 after it was first released
  • Reply 111 of 188
    MDN made a good point. So those who purchased a smartphone over a six month period, which only includes about a month of iPhone 4 sales. LOL This is the kind of stuff it takes for all of the Android-based phones put together on multiple carriers to get a "win" over the iPhone, besides never-ending BOGO promotions from Verizon, etc.

When Apple decides the time is right to pull the trigger and move to multiple carriers in the U.S., as they have already in other countries (where the top smartphone OS picture looks totally different), Google's Android dream turns into a nightmare as pretty much the sole reason (unless you want fewer apps and more malware while empowering telecoms) to settle for a fake iPhone disappears.
  • Reply 112 of 188
    Quote:

MDN made a good point. So those who purchased a smartphone over a six month period, which only includes about a month of iPhone 4 sales. LOL This is the kind of stuff it takes for all of the Android-based phones put together on multiple carriers to get a "win" over the iPhone, besides never-ending BOGO promotions from Verizon, etc.

When Apple decides the time is right to pull the trigger and move to multiple carriers in the U.S., as they have already in other countries (where the top smartphone OS picture looks totally different), Google's Android dream turns into a nightmare as pretty much the sole reason (unless you want fewer apps and more malware while empowering telecoms) to settle for a fake iPhone disappears.

Quadra you can try and slant this all night long, the reality is Android is selling very well and will continue to do so. You need to take your medication and come to the understanding that Google doesn't have to fail for Apple to do well. Your thought process of all other companies do to do poorly or fail is beyond childish.

I believe Android growth has been 886% percent this year. I remember you drooling all over yourself when Apple had 400% with the iPhone. Time to give it up and accept the reality of the situation. Android is kicking ass.
  • Reply 113 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Quadra you can try and slant this all night long, the reality is Android is selling very well and will continue to do so. You need to take your medication and come to the understanding that Google doesn't have to fail for Apple to do well. Your thought process of all other companies do to do poorly or fail is beyond childish.

I believe Android growth has been 886% percent this year. I remember you drooling all over yourself when Apple had 400% with the iPhone. Time to give it up and accept the reality of the situation. Android is kicking ass.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...roid&sample=38

Apple's iOS has 4.9 times the global Web usage share of Google's Android

Google's Android is gaining Web usage share, but still lags far behind Apple's iOS, according to NetApplications.

Apple's iOS has 4.9 times the global usage share of Google Android devices.

NetApplications' mobile share methodology measures share for browser capable mobile devices. This means the mobile device must be able to render HTML pages and javascript. Visits to WAP pages are not included.

The firm uses a unique methodology for collecting this data. They collect data from the browsers of site visitors to their exclusive on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is summarized on a monthly, weekly, daily and hourly basis

In addition, NetApplications classifies 430+ referral sources identified as search engines. Aggregate traffic referrals from these engines are summarized reported on. The statistics for search engines include both organic and sponsored referrals. The websites in the company's population represent almost all countries on earth.

Additional estimates about the website population:

? 76% participate in pay per click programs to drive traffic to their sites.

? 43% are commerce sites

? 18% are corporate sites

? 10% are content sites

? 29% classify themselves as "other" (includes gov, org, search engine marketers etc..)

Now what?
  • Reply 114 of 188
    Quote:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...roid&sample=38

Apple's iOS has 4.9 times the global Web usage share of Google's Android

Google's Android is gaining Web usage share, but still lags far behind Apple's iOS, according to NetApplications.

Apple's iOS has 4.9 times the global usage share of Google Android devices.

NetApplications' mobile share methodology measures share for browser capable mobile devices. This means the mobile device must be able to render HTML pages and javascript. Visits to WAP pages are not included.

The firm uses a unique methodology for collecting this data. They collect data from the browsers of site visitors to their exclusive on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is summarized on a monthly, weekly, daily and hourly basis

In addition, NetApplications classifies 430+ referral sources identified as search engines. Aggregate traffic referrals from these engines are summarized reported on. The statistics for search engines include both organic and sponsored referrals. The websites in the company's population represent almost all countries on earth.

Additional estimates about the website population:

• 76% participate in pay per click programs to drive traffic to their sites.

• 43% are commerce sites

• 18% are corporate sites

• 10% are content sites

• 29% classify themselves as "other" (includes gov, org, search engine marketers etc..)

Now what?

That is mean nothing. We all know iOS still leads in some areas the issue is how fast Android is catching up and the grow rate is far higher then that of iOS.

I know for you this is a painful situation but its okay Apple can still do well with Android grown. You can still sleep well.

By the way how is that effort of yours to kill Flash. That doesn't seem to be going so well. Whats the matter everyone on Macrumors ignoring you like they do here?
  • Reply 115 of 188
    Quote:

Now what?

Expect them to continue to ignore the obvious "its the profits, stupid" and trot out yet another market share red herring.

And expect them to continue to wonder why Apple is able to have blockbuster quarter after blockbuster quarter
  • Reply 116 of 188
    Quote:

That is mean nothing. We all know iOS still leads in some areas the issue is how fast Android is catching up and the grow rate is far higher then that of iOS.

I know for you this is a painful situation but its okay Apple can still do well with Android grown. You can still sleep well.

By the way how is that effort of yours to kill Flash. That doesn't seem to be going so well. Whats the matter everyone on Macrumors ignoring you like they do here?

Flash no longer matters. The iPad's seen to that. Apple is experiencing record sales of its devices, all of which (save for Macs) don't play Flash. Seems to be going pretty well. The object is not to kill Flash (that'll take a long while), but to suitably and deservedly discredit the format to the extent that it prompts the consumer to turn to far better alternatives. Garbage (like Flash) is often ubiquitous, and sometimes the best we can do is to just recognize it as such and move on.
  • Reply 117 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Expect them to continue to ignore the obvious "its the profits, stupid" and trot out yet another market share red herring.

And expect them to continue to wonder why Apple is able to have blockbuster quarter after blockbuster quarter

Yeah I am sure Google is not making profit. You guys have short memories when it comes to Apple making a solid profit. A guess a few good years out of three decads isn't bad. Remembe when you are on top there is only one place to go from there and that is down.
  • Reply 118 of 188
    Quote:

Yeah I am sure Google is not making profit. You guys have short memories when it comes to Apple making a solid profit. A guess a few good years out of three decads isn't bad. Remembe when you are on top there is only one place to go from there and that is down.

Just a reminder . . . what Apple has accomplished in "a few good years", with a fraction of the manpower and R&D of Microstupid.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ocId=D9IKD31G0

Apple on path to surpass Exxon as world’s most valuable company

Monday, October 04, 2010

"Here's something to think about the next time you pick up a call on your iPhone: the device you're holding may soon be the signature product of the most valuable company in the world," David K. Randall reports for The Associated Press. "Thanks to its line of gadgets that combine the ability to make calls, send email, read books, watch movies and listen to music, Apple Inc. is on a path to overtake Exxon Mobil Corp. as the largest company by market capitalization."

"The list of companies that have sat atop the S&P 500 is short. For years, the top spot rotated among stalwart industrials like General Electric Co., General Motors, and AT&T Inc., before that company was broken up as a result of an antitrust suit in 1984. Twenty years ago, IBM Corp. held the No. 1 position, narrowly beating out Exxon," Randall reports. "Apple's move to the top would be a strong signal that the market is no longer placing as high a value on industrial companies that depend on traditional manufacturing, business spending or natural resources for revenue. Instead, investors are now expecting growth to be driven by spending from average consumers on technology and entertainment."

Randall reports, "If Apple becomes more valuable than Exxon, it will be only the second time that a growing technology company which doesn't pay dividends will make up the greatest share of the S&P 500. The first, Microsoft Corp., held the position for two years in the late 1990s during the boom that made personal computers a staple in households around the world. Today, Apple dominates the business of putting the Internet in your pocket. That's quite a feat for a company that was worth only $7 dollars a share 10 years ago. It closed Friday at $282.52."
  • Reply 119 of 188
    Quote:

Flash no longer matters. The iPad's seen to that. Apple is experiencing record sales of its devices, all of which (save for Macs) don't play Flash. Seems to be going pretty well. The object is not to kill Flash (that'll take a long while), but to suitably and deservedly discredit the format to the extent that it prompts the consumer to turn to far better alternatives. Garbage (like Flash) is often ubiquitous, and sometimes the best we can do is to just recognize it as such and move on.

Let see so we have iPad and iOS record sales and we have Android record sales which promotes Flash as a benefit over iOS. So it appears to me that Apple has done nothing to slow down Flash or help move to HTML5 or any other alternative.
  • Reply 120 of 188
    Quote:

Just a reminder . . . what Apple has accomplished in "a few good years", with a fraction of the manpower and R&D of Microstupid.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ocId=D9IKD31G0

Apple on path to surpass Exxon as world?s most valuable company

Monday, October 04, 2010

"Here's something to think about the next time you pick up a call on your iPhone: the device you're holding may soon be the signature product of the most valuable company in the world," David K. Randall reports for The Associated Press. "Thanks to its line of gadgets that combine the ability to make calls, send email, read books, watch movies and listen to music, Apple Inc. is on a path to overtake Exxon Mobil Corp. as the largest company by market capitalization."

"The list of companies that have sat atop the S&P 500 is short. For years, the top spot rotated among stalwart industrials like General Electric Co., General Motors, and AT&T Inc., before that company was broken up as a result of an antitrust suit in 1984. Twenty years ago, IBM Corp. held the No. 1 position, narrowly beating out Exxon," Randall reports. "Apple's move to the top would be a strong signal that the market is no longer placing as high a value on industrial companies that depend on traditional manufacturing, business spending or natural resources for revenue. Instead, investors are now expecting growth to be driven by spending from average consumers on technology and entertainment."

Randall reports, "If Apple becomes more valuable than Exxon, it will be only the second time that a growing technology company which doesn't pay dividends will make up the greatest share of the S&P 500. The first, Microsoft Corp., held the position for two years in the late 1990s during the boom that made personal computers a staple in households around the world. Today, Apple dominates the business of putting the Internet in your pocket. That's quite a feat for a company that was worth only $7 dollars a share 10 years ago. It closed Friday at $282.52."

God I hope they do pass Exxon. With the amount of stock I own. See you forget I am the true shareholder you are just the fanboy. I actually have well over a million vested in Apple doing well unlike you.