Verizon says iPhone announcement would come from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

YEAH!! Go Apple! Woot!!!

How is not making a deal with multiple carriers something to cheer for? Only on this forum kids. Only on this forum.

Sounds like they're pissed they saddled themselves with an AT&T contract 6 months ago.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:

I knew it was baloney the whole time. You guys should listen to me. Then you wouldn't get all excited over nothing.

Seriously though, whats wrong with the wsj?

You know what was baloney over what time? Listen to you about what? Who's excited about anything?

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with the wsj [sic]. (FYI - and fwiw - their internal policies would not allow something like this to be published without at least two credible sources willing to reveal themselves to the editors).
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You know what was baloney over what time? Listen to you about what? Who's excited about anything?

Omg! Please! No topic gets the fan base here more up in arms than the verizon iPhone rumor!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Hmm I wonder if other carriers would cave in with Apples demands. An HSPA+ iphone could sound good for at&t and t-mobile.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Just be patient.. Jason Chen in the next few weeks will get his hands on a stolen CDMA iPhone prototype and show it to everyone. He's been spotted at different bars everynight near Cupertino looking for drunk Apple engineers.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Just be patient.. Jason Chen in the next few weeks will get his hands on a stolen CDMA iPhone prototype and show it to everyone. He's been spotted at different bars everynight near Cupertino looking for drunk Apple engineers.

• Reply 27 of 44
    My bet, there is no iPhone for Verizon in Q1:2011. The soonest Verizon will see the iPhone is sometime in 2012 once LTE is rolled out broadly. Even then, it is likely that any LTE phone will require a CDMA fallback with may not be something Apple is willing to deal with. When Apple does intro an LTE phone its fallback will be to UMTS and GSM.

The more likely scenario is T-Mobile will end up with an iPhone. There are now chipsets available that do five-band UMTS. Nokia is introducing phones will all 5 UMTS bands this year. Also expect the next iPhone to be HSPA+. Although, since Apple is not big in to tethering, I am not sure why you would need HSPA+ on a pocket device, unless, you are able to get it in to a small form factor and take advantage of the better speeds.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

This is exactly how Verizon is supposed to act and exactly what they're supposed to say if they either have reached or will reach a deal with Apple. Keep it a secret. Deny without really denying. Not saying they have, but they're playing their cards right to be certain.

My thoughts exactly. It is not in Verizon or Apple's best interest to leak this early. Neither company wants to suppress sales of existing products. All the tea leaf reading that goes on from Verizon CEO commentary is just silly.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

While still a rumor, the verizon guy most certainly alludes that something is in the works. To me it says that something is cooking, but we can't say anything or we'll get in trouble.

This is a prime example of how a rumor is started. The source says nothing to substantiate anything but an interpretation gets printed anyway citing the interpretation as being a statement from a reputable inside source when in fact nothing was actually said.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What's Apple's deal with telecoms in markets where there are multiple carriers? Do they subsidize and if so how much per phone?

In the UK - all carriers now sell the iPhone. Europe is all GSM so there's no incompatible networks.

The phones are mostly sold subsidised, but you can also buy unsubsidised.

The level of subsidy and the airtime deals vary from carrier to carrier.

With a sufficiently big contract - the phone comes free.

Example - Three Network

Black 32GB - £189 /$301

2 Yr Contract £30/ $47 pm

Includes 1GB 3G Data and tethering.

C.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with the wsj [sic]. (FYI - and fwiw - their internal policies would not allow something like this to be published without at least two credible sources willing to reveal themselves to the editors)[.

If this was true how do you explain the wsj's almost quarterly prediction of a Verizon iPhone for the last two years being wrong?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with the wsj [sic]. (FYI - and fwiw - their internal policies would not allow something like this to be published without at least two credible sources willing to reveal themselves to the editors).

hahaha what!? Omg. If only.

What a wonderful world this would be, if mainstream press was EVER honest, truthful, or thorough.

The WSJ is a rag, just like the NYT, just like every second of programming on every single news network.

I can't believe people still believe that's real journalism.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

This is exactly how Verizon is supposed to act and exactly what they're supposed to say if they either have reached or will reach a deal with Apple. Keep it a secret. Deny without really denying. Not saying they have, but they're playing their cards right to be certain.

Isn't that also exactly how they are supposed to act and say if there are no negotiations and not pending deal in the works?

Seriously - just because sometimes people - including Steve Jobs - publicly say something that soon thereafter turns out to be exactly the opposite of reality such that at the time the original statement was made he is no way he could have been unaware of the impending announcement - does not mean that EVERY time ANYONE makes a specific claim that the opposite will NECESSARILY be true in the IMMEDIATE future.

While I cannot believe that there has been NO communication of ANY kind between Apple and Verizon - I have seen nothing that is a documented source from either company that would point to any imminent deal.

Forgetting the companies and products involved - it is in the best interest of any company representative not to say anything publicly that would have a negative impact on that company.

Even if the guy knows for a fact that there is no deal in the works whatsoever, or knows for a fact that a deal is weeks away from being signed and has the date of the announcement - he comments are consistent and do not confirm or deny either way.

Guess what - sometimes - when someone makes a statement it is literally true - and there is no subterfuge involved at all.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Hmm I wonder if other carriers would cave in with Apples demands. An HSPA+ iphone could sound good for at&t and t-mobile.

The iPhone is carried by over 150 carriers worldwide.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If this was true how do you explain the wsj's almost quarterly prediction of a Verizon iPhone for the last two years being wrong?

Can you show me the article from two years ago? I am not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall it.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

hahaha what!? Omg. If only.

What a wonderful world this would be, if mainstream press was EVER honest, truthful, or thorough.

The WSJ is a rag, just like the NYT, just like every second of programming on every single news network.

I can't believe people still believe that's real journalism.

That's why I prefaced what I said, "FYI" and "fwiw." I guess I should have added "ymmv".....

You are free to believe whatever you want to. Or not. It's a free country.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

YEAH!! Go Apple! Woot!!!

How is not making a deal with multiple carriers something to cheer for? Only on this forum kids. Only on this forum.

... iPhone makes more money for Apple every quarter. Get ready for a record quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly, Elliots11! Verizon now realizes they are not in the driver's seat. Apple is and Apple was 4 years ago when they passed up on the most innovative product of the last decade...what schmucks their executive staff are!

Go Apple!

Oh Please, So you are saying Verizon needs the iPhone more than Apple need Verizon?

Nonsense!

If anything, Verizon has more leverage than ever.

Verizon will not sell their soul like AT&T did. Whether you agree with Verizon is a different story.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSF View Post

Oh Please, So you are saying Verizon needs the iPhone more than Apple need Verizon?

Nonsense!

If anything, Verizon has more leverage than ever.

Verizon will not sell their soul like AT&T did. Whether you agree with Verizon is a different story.

Please get real. Why would Apple want to even consider any of Verizon's conditions when they can't produce enough product to meet demand and they have many foreign countries just waiting for Apple products.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What's Apple's deal with telecoms in markets where there are multiple carriers? Do they subsidize and if so how much per phone?

Apple does not subsidize their products. It is the carrier's decision as to whether they will subsidize the product themselves or not.