Microsoft, Adobe execs discuss Apple, potential merger in meeting

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Microsoft punts, and the placekicker fumbles the ball. Fail.

On the bright side, adobe sucks as much today as microsoft ever did. They are a perfect fit for each other.

BTW, only microsoft would consider buying another huge company to try to save themselves from irrelevance.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    Please sweet 7lb baby Jesus in a manger no! Adobe has messed up the tools I need to survive enough by themselves (CS5 Master collection) I don't need Microsoft taking away OSX versions AND making it slower/bloated! NOOOO!
  • Reply 23 of 138
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donarb View Post

I think they just want to bury the hatchet over their failed "PDF killer" Metro strategy:

Microsoft's Metro takes aim at Adobe

Yeah,

"bury the hatchet" in Adobe's head!
  • Reply 24 of 138
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I welcome such a merger. It would force Apple to make a move.
  • Reply 25 of 138
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    There’s no way Microsoft would spend roughly $25B on Adobe. What exactly would they gain?

Ballmer is an idiot, but I doubt he’s that big of one.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Microsoft punts, and the placekicker fumbles the ball. Fail.

On the bright side, adobe sucks as much today as microsoft ever did. They are a perfect fit for each other.

It would be just like Microsoft to "innovate" by forcing a placekicker into the role of punter!
  • Reply 27 of 138
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    Okay...I'm no power user, but what if Apple were to acquire Pixelmator & VectorDesigner, combine them in a suite with the layout abilities of Pages... could this be the potential beginnings of a creative suite that could compete at some point?
  • Reply 28 of 138
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    This is serious news and if I were Apple I wouldn't take it lightly.

For those who think it's "easy" for Apple to come-up with a creative suite that rivals Adobe are failing to account for the complexity of such projects and the lack of unique talents and break-in periods. A project such as that would take years to mature to the point where it can compete with Adobe.

Microsoft and Adobe could position the CS Suite and MS Office to damage Apple's image by releasing subpar software for Macs and iPads.

OR they both lose their "cool" factor and drop off the face of the planet, not likely to happen anytime soon.
  • Reply 29 of 138
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

So help me, if a talking paperclip or puppy tries to "help" me use After Effects things will get very ugly very quickly.

• Reply 30 of 138
    ...like the type of FUD that spin doctor PR types toss around when they can't compete with substance, and that bad journalists write when they can't be bothered with actual reporting. Current company excepted, of course. Like all of those "10 reasons why Apple will go belly up this (in the next) (in the next 2) years" stories that bounce around the padded echo chamber of processionery web cites.

My first thought was, time to learn Keynote and Pages. But designers are loath to change apps. Quark had to suck badly for three revs (4, 5, and 6), and then make it harder and more expensive to upgrade to 6.5 than to port to ID CS2, before most jumped ship (just as Pagemaker had to be seriously behind Quark for three revs before the market share shifted). Even if Apple made a quantum leap in the next Pages, and provided a painless way to read the massive number of legacy ID and Quark files going back at least three versions - something Adobe and Quark can't do - most won't jump for fear that others won't follow.

Adobe has finally started porting the best of Freehand into Illustrator, and gotten serious about normalizing the UI of the Suite. They know what they really have to do - take apart the 15 year old Altsys/Macromedia source code of Flash, bring it forward, and reinvent itself. The handwriting is on the wall, and written in HTML5.

They also know what they don't want to do - have 25 years of innovation drown in the sludge of "good enough is good enough" and disappear just as Fox Pro and so many other apps did once bought by Microsoft.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotTylerDurden View Post

I've been a Apple user since 1989 and I love my Mac but I need the creative suite to get my work done. If they merged, I would have to look into buying a PC as sad as that makes me.

Just what is your logic here? How does an adobe / Microsoft collaboration / merger force anyone to give up their Macs? I simply can't make the leap from one statement to the next.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    God, I hope SOMEONE buys adobe and reboots the creative suite!
  • Reply 33 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Microsoft punts, and the placekicker fumbles the ball.

Huh? A punter and a placekicker perform two different types of kicking. And it's been a long time since I heard of a placekicker fumbling since he typically doesn't use his hands.

But then who am I to speak? I'm a 49er fan (ducks!)
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Microsoft history shows that it will only run Adobe to the ground. WebTV, Sidekick.

Oh yeah, its a conspiracy by Verizon.
  • Reply 35 of 138
    The next best thing that happened to Apple after Steve.
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Please sweet 7lb baby Jesus in a manger no! Adobe has messed up the tools I need to survive enough by themselves (CS5 Master collection) I don't need Microsoft taking away OSX versions AND making it slower/bloated! NOOOO!

I'm still on CS4. I was hoping that they would have fixed the crash happy Illustrator... it can't be WORSE... right?
  • Reply 37 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

Okay...I'm no power user, but what if Apple were to acquire Pixelmator & VectorDesigner, combine them in a suite with the layout abilities of Pages... could this be the potential beginnings of a creative suite that could compete at some point?

I'd say no.

Certainly Pages isn't anywhere near robust enough. Pixelmator . . . hmm, probably not ready for prime time either. Sorry, don't know VectorDesigner.

Of course they would be "a start," but its probably better to buy the people/expertise and start fresh.
  • Reply 38 of 138
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Huh? A punter and a placekicker perform two different types of kicking. And it's been a long time since I heard of a placekicker fumbling since he typically doesn't use his hands.

But then who am I to speak? I'm a 49er fan (ducks!)

Correct. the place kicker wiffs as the place holder fumbles the snap.
  • Reply 39 of 138
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotTylerDurden View Post

I've been a Apple user since 1989 and I love my Mac but I need the creative suite to get my work done. If they merged, I would have to look into buying a PC as sad as that makes me. Damn, I hope this doesn't happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Just what is your logic here? How does an adobe / Microsoft collaboration / merger force anyone to give up their Macs? I simply can't make the leap from one statement to the next.

The implication of course is that, after acquiring Adobe, Microsoft would then kill off the Mac versions of all the Adobe product lines. This logic is faulty in that Mac products are a significant source of revenue for Adobe, as is Office for Microsoft. It would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. Add to that the obvious anti-competitive ramifications and it would all but impossible for Ballmer to do this expressly to damage Apple.

Therefore the original poster's logic is ludicrous, as you imply.
  • Reply 40 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I doubt either company (Apple or Microsoft) would be permitted to buy Adobe. And Apple would never do it as it would be a terrible and huge investment ($16B) for little gained.

In any case, I think Apple could create a competitive "creative suite" pretty quickly without buying Adobe. In fact, I'll bet they already have the foundation for such a suite largely planned, just in case. If they need it, they'd just spend a few hundred million for a few smaller companies and have their suite within a year (as an example look at the purchase of PA Semi and the development of the A4 SOC.)

Actually I don't think either would need permission or be blocked in acquiring Adobe. I think the article is quoting some pretty poor speculation on that point. Adobe's overvalued and has been for a while, even Wall Street is saying it would be a poor buy for MS right now. I think that the idiot powered, corporate-edtion chastity belt of Adobe's entire upper management has been the primary force keeping all suitors at bay. Macromedia was smart, they cashed out on Flash as it was peaking, Adobe has been hiding behind it since the acquisition.

However I'm sure CS6 will be packed with invaluable features like: Adobe Bridge, Adobe Version Cue, Adobe Bridge Version Cue Synco-Server, Adobe Bridge File Que Max Pro, Adobe Version Flash Macro Cue, Adobe Font Bridge File Cue Color and Adobe Color File Cue Version Bridge Server Cue. I'm sure they'll also do something different with menus to keep up their tradition of crappy conflicting UI ideas with any host OS platform. I honestly can't remember any useful additions to Photoshop since CS2, but I'm intimately familiar with the annoying quirks from 3 different styles of Open/Save dialog boxes they went out of their way to redesign for each release. I seriously think they've got 5 people working on development, 3 for trying to change to standard OS dialog boxes and 2 to do art for the CS version number on the packaging - can't wait to see what combination of stock imagery will be growing out of a 6! Will it be a plant and bird next time or a plant and a butterfly?!