Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

Really? Since when?

No I really don't, typo left out the NOT in my statement
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

What sort of cable did you use? The Component cable? There's no way to use HDMI is there?

I bought a composite cable with a 30 pin connector, but it didn't work, because it was from before Apple bonked everybody's cables with iOS 2.2. I'd consider a Component cable, but how did you get digital audio to come out of the iPhone?

I thought all the cables output analog stereo via RCA plugs? Do you somehow get streaming digital audio out of a USB plug?

What do you use for cables and connections with your wife's iPhone in order to get HD picture and 5.1 sound?

I did not say I had HD video it was crappy composite at best video but Surround 5.1 since it is encode on the analog output of the left and and right audio channels. Hello my 1995 Sony VHS output Surround 5.1 an it was composite and analog audio and works with my Onkyo Receiver.

You do not need digital audio out to get Surround 5.1
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:

I disagree.

IMO, the market leader consumer smartphone is the one unthinking people would buy, and not one with a brand new OS built by a lesser-well-known foreign company that they never heard of. My guess is that the uninformed never heard of HTC, and instead, want the iPhone.

Why would the uninformed buy anything other than the current industry standard popular product?

And those who choose not to think or prefer not to think or cannot think or want something that requires no thought? That's the iPhone, baby. It is PERFECT for them.

I don't think your theory is correct.

Okay, you baited me....

However any marketing 101 class teaches this lesson, most people buy by the check list method, give them a checks list of items a products does and 9 or 10 will buy it because it has more features. Not that they need those feature or they work well they just have more.

Consumers on average have no clue what they are buying why else would there be so many poor quality products on the market, because people buy them.

Last time I check HTC sell more phones that Apple, they sell more then smart phones keep that in mind and they are known to the consumer good or bad they are known.

Also, may people I meet had no clue all the things the Iphone does, to them it just the next cool thing to having in their hands, so they are on the other end of the spectrum of buyers who just buy something because they think it cool, it is an image thing with them.

Apple does not market to the check list buyer.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Are you saying that an AT&T iPhone can be unlocked and subscribed on other GSM carriers? OK, that's in theory easier to do than with a CDMA based phone.

However, if you're implying a VZ phone can't be used off of the VZ network, you're wrong. Here are be radio specs for my current Verizonwireless smartphone (which I'd love to get rid of and get an iPhone if they become available on VZ):

"Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks

Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks

Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks

Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"

VZ phone can not work on Sprint, or KDDI or in Korea or even in China where other CDMA version exist. VZ bastardized their CDMA as well as other provider who did the same, Qualcomm allowed this to happen.

Also you need VZ to activate another CDMA VZ phone you my have bought from someone else, unlike a GSM phone. Presently, I have multiply iphone and other GSM phone in my home and we swap the SIM card all the time and use those phones depending on what we are doing this can not be done with VZ.

The other down side to VZ with any smart phone if you wish to hand down a phone to say one of your kids, and you do not want them to have data plan VZ will not allow it, they force you to have a data plan with a smart phone. One of the iphone in my house is a hand me down and I put in the SIM from another phone without data it works like a regular phone.

The fact you can do this on GSM network allow the phone to maintain value, who is going to want to buy a used VZ iphone if all you can do is use it on VZ with data. Face it not everyone on VZ wants data hell most people in the US can barely pay their bill each month.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So you think making the iPhone available to the 2/3s of the US market (Verizon + Sprint + maybe Tmobile) who it is currently unavailable to will only result in a "slight bump" in sales?.

But its not unlocking 2/3'rds of the market is it?

Its only unlocking the market if those people cannot currently buy an iPhone and use it on AT&T. For this to be the case, there would need to be no AT&T coverage at all where they live, not simply that they currently chose to use another supplier. Since we know that isn't true (AT&T Cover 75% of the population from figures I can find), the most it can possibly physically unlock is 25%.

If there is nothing physically stopping them from currently moving to AT&T, then they aren't being unlocked. Its that simple.

Could some Verizon customers be tempted to take an iPhone, sure, and Apple may see a bump in sales, but there's an AT&T signal where they use the phone today, they can buy an iPhone already and have chosen not to (for whatever reason).
  • Reply 66 of 72
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

But its not unlocking 2/3'rds of the market is it?

Its only unlocking the market if those people cannot currently buy an iPhone and use it on AT&T. For this to be the case, there would need to be no AT&T coverage at all where they live, not simply that they currently chose to use another supplier. Since we know that isn't true (AT&T Cover 75% of the population from figures I can find), the most it can possibly physically unlock is 25%.

If there is nothing physically stopping them from currently moving to AT&T, then they aren't being unlocked. Its that simple.

Could some Verizon customers be tempted to take an iPhone, sure, and Apple may see a bump in sales, but there's an AT&T signal where they use the phone today, they can buy an iPhone already and have chosen not to (for whatever reason).

Take a look at your last comment... "for whatever reason". The problem is that the rest of your post completely ignores just how broad "whatever reason" might be. The world is not so black & white as you make it that simply living in an area with ATT coverage is available means someone would get an iPhone if they wanted one. There are many, many other reasons. Your employer has a contract with Verizon or you get a group discount, there is a hole in ATT's coverage where you live (even if it's shown as in coverage on their map), you frequently travel to places where ATT has poor coverage, you've been screwed too many times in the past by ATT to ever want to do business with them again.

Those last two points apply personally to me. And look at the surveys of iPhone customers who would defect to to Verizon in a heartbeat if they could get an iPhone. Yes, I know that wouldn't increase Apple's marketshare, but is speaks volumes about how important the carrier is. And it strongly suggests that there are many Verizon customers who DIDN'T jump to ATT, knowing the experience would be subpar.

Welcome to the multi-colored world where decisions aren't based on a single data-point.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I did not say I had HD video it was crappy composite at best video but Surround 5.1 since it is encode on the analog output of the left and and right audio channels. Hello my 1995 Sony VHS output Surround 5.1 an it was composite and analog audio and works with my Onkyo Receiver.

You do not need digital audio out to get Surround 5.1

Are you sure it was outputting 5.1? Do you actually mean it was outputting Dolby Prologic?
  • Reply 68 of 72
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No need to apologize. It's just a modest request to keep the thread useful and informative.

A weird thought is verizon will NOT get iphone

Verizon still can't sync its free WI-FI service with apple laptops...

I state for the record here and NOW

APPLE IPHONES CMDA style will be sold direct to the public and sprint t mobile and anyone else can pick up that BUYER . And cut a deal with him/her.

THIS PAVES the way for corporate massive volume discounts ,, and also gets massive discounts with massive purchases of IPAD AND IPHONE 3 OR 4 AS A BUNDLE ., Many companies would love to do this .

All those old RETURNED 3G iphones need a home !!!!

peace

rant over
  • Reply 69 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

A weird thought is verizon will NOT get iphone

Verizon still can't sync its free WI-FI service with apple laptops...

I state for the record here and NOW

APPLE IPHONES CMDA style will be sold direct to the public and sprint t mobile and anyone else can pick up that BUYER . And cut a deal with him/her.

THIS PAVES the way for corporate massive volume discounts ,, and also gets massive discounts with massive purchases of IPAD AND IPHONE 3 OR 4 AS A BUNDLE ., Many companies would love to do this .

All those old RETURNED 3G iphones need a home !!!!

1) Note that T-Mobile USA is GSM/UMTS like the current iPhone, but doesn?t have the right operating band (aka radio frequency) chip to work on T-Mobile?s ?3G? network.

2) It?s certainly possible that Apple won?t be able to make a deal with Verizon who are the largest and most powerful carrier in the US, or that Sprint offered them a better deal that their bean counters deemed more profitable, but it looks to me that Verizon is the carrier they will use out of the gate for CDMA in the US.

3) It?s interesting. From our PoV these exclusivity contracts with carriers look like they hinder sales but time and time again handset makers are doing them. So there must be some intrinsic value we simply aren?t seeing. It may be as simple as to why companies lock distribution to specific outlets and then grow outward in a control manner.

4) This is an off topic segue from the last point, but I think if Apple is opening up the iPad to so many big stores for this holiday season they 1) feel they have saturated the tablet market sufficiently enough that growth outward is prudent, and 2) feel they have will enough supply to meet demand this holiday quarter from all these additional stores. Could the iPad be Apple?s most profitable leg in its 3rd quarter on the market?
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Take a look at your last comment... "for whatever reason". The problem is that the rest of your post completely ignores just how broad "whatever reason" might be. The world is not so black & white as you make it that simply living in an area with ATT coverage is available means someone would get an iPhone if they wanted one. There are many, many other reasons. Your employer has a contract with Verizon or you get a group discount, there is a hole in ATT's coverage where you live (even if it's shown as in coverage on their map), you frequently travel to places where ATT has poor coverage, you've been screwed too many times in the past by ATT to ever want to do business with them again.

But for 2/3 to be true, you're saying that every single person who has a cellphone but not an iPhone doesn't have one simply because of either coverage, or their employer. We know by simply logic that isnt true. Some folks cant afford one, some folks prefer other phones, etc.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Lots of people make purchase decisions on that basis. Branding is powerful, and greatly influences many people, especially the uninformed.

But others look closely at their alternatives before making a purchase decision. I think that the market for smartphones is plenty big enough now, and is growing so rapidly, that little tiny upstarts like HTC, those who are challenging the prevailing paradigm, can sell lots of product. Even if some other brand rolls off of the tongues of the uninterested, HTC can nevertheless make money.

Meanwhile, the lumbering giants keep spending on PR and they make money too. Lots and lots and lots of it, especially these days.

My guess is that people you know have never heard of Tesla Motors either. But those who follow the market for great cars might buy one instead of the Chevy Volt. Not everybody dresses in whatever the Gap happens to be selling this year.

Just shut your ridiculous troll mouth. People don't a give a **** about other brands. They either have Apple, want Apple, or wish they could afford Apple. Its really that simple.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The other down side to VZ with any smart phone if you wish to hand down a phone to say one of your kids, and you do not want them to have data plan VZ will not allow it, they force you to have a data plan with a smart phone. One of the iphone in my house is a hand me down and I put in the SIM from another phone without data it works like a regular phone.

Minor nitpick: AT&T officially doesn't smile upon this either. The AT&T Wireless terms of use, agreed to by every postpaid customer, says that they have permission, at their sole discression, to automatically add an appropriate data plan to any smartphone they detect on their network. Not saying that they'll do it right away, but they have the right to do so if they choose.

If you're using your iPhone on prepaid (which has a different terms of use document), or if you're using an original iPhone (which appears to be treated by AT&T as a special case), then I apologize in advance: the preceding doesn't apply to you.