Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    I'm quite afraid Apple will eventually launch an app store which will be the only place where you can get software for your Mac. If that happens I'll be back to Linux in a heartbeat. An app store for Apple software is OK of course, even handy because it eliminates the need to get boxed versions of Apple software, but please don't let it be the only place where I can get my software.
  • Reply 42 of 138
    I think an obvious blend of iOS and OS X is an app store for OS X apps. Buying, installing, organizing, etc. with the iOS model has many advantages over the current one.
  • Reply 43 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I'm quite afraid Apple will eventually launch an app store which will be the only place where you can get software for your Mac. If that happens I'll be back to Linux in a heartbeat. An app store for Apple software is OK of course, even handy because it eliminates the need to get boxed versions of Apple software, but please don't let it be the only place where I can get my software.

Apple sells software on their site now. They might expand upon that. But it's highly unlikely that they would do what they did with iOS.
  • Reply 44 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not going to happen. Don't fool yourself. Touch is great for certain things, but for productivity the mouse is still KING. And it will remain that way. How do I know this? Because Apple's non-touch Mac computers are way more productive than any of their touch products. Why? Because that's the way they were meant to be. iPads are great for business, but not for "work". There's a big difference there. It's appears subtle, but it's major. iPads make businesses work way better than they did, but the real work happens on Macs and PCs.

I see iPad-type computers eventually replacing Apple laptops, but I don't see them replacing Apple desktops. Desktops are the work-horses. Laptops only sold so well because there was no other portable computers around. iPads will fill that niche. And as they become more powerful that will only become more obvious. Desktops however will remain where the majority of work gets done. I envision a future where every house will have a large desktop computer and every faming member will have touch computer for more personal computing. The desktop will be where the kids or the parent goes to "work". Build stuff, make stuff, design stuff, do stuff, as opposed to learning, updating or consuming.

touch does not have to replace ANYTHING. please understand that. it simply is another user input in addition to the cursor and the mouse. you can still have the mouse for precision and the keyboard for typing, the "touch" that many have been looking forward to is simply for scrolling the screen, moving to difference mac "spaces", magnification of windows or pictures (would more difficult to guide the mouse to the very bottom corner of the screen to drag a window) things like that. just think about it, mouse still exists, cursor still exists, fingers additional.
  • Reply 45 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is some humorous irony for me in this discussion. I was trying to convince graphic artists they could use a mouse way back at the launch if Illustrator. They laughingly referred to it as 'drawing with a brick'.

Drawing is a different thing. A niche a best.
  • Reply 46 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sgt Hulka comment to 'Psycho' in the movie Stripes. Cant believe I remember this stuff.

Is that English.
  • Reply 47 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cilago View Post

I think an obvious blend of iOS and OS X is an app store for OS X apps. Buying, installing, organizing, etc. with the iOS model has many advantages over the current one.

Well Apple said it wasn't happening.
  • Reply 48 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

touch does not have to replace ANYTHING. please understand that. it simply is another user input in addition to the cursor and the mouse.

You are asking me to understand I point I have just made, myself.

I'm not on about touch replacing anything, I'm talking about iPad-like devices replacing laptops, which I've already seen happen. To me and others I know. We all sold our laptops, kept our desktop and bought iPads.
  • Reply 49 of 138
    Quote:

And a way to e-mail quickly, like you can on iOS. There's no reason in the world that Mac OS X can't bring me into composing an e-mail as fast, or even faster than iOS.

Are you serious? How can it get any faster than Right Click On Mail Icon -> Compose Message? You don't have to be in the same space as Mail... Or bring up the window or anything.... It's essentially instantaneous!

There are plenty of things that could be enhanced in OSX but this is not one of them!
  • Reply 50 of 138
    Quote:

Well Apple said it wasn't happening.

No, they didn't. I don't remember anything so definite. It won't happen now though.
  • Reply 51 of 138
    My Bet is a Flip screen imac with touch like the many pix that have surfaced
  • Reply 52 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

aren't rumors inherently unverified?

THANK you.
  • Reply 53 of 138
    Quote:

It is better than XP though. It's just slower to startup, mainly. Apple could learn a couple of things from 7 actually. For example, their contextual option to make a photo your desktop image is first, in OS X it's down bottom. That makes no sense. And 7 has better mouse-tracking software. Most everything else OS excels at, however.

Really? How often do you change your background? From what I can tell most users change it maybe once or twice in the whole time they have their computers!

I'm not one of those BTW. Mine changes randomly every 5 minutes to one of hundreds of personal photos... but man I see a bunch of people with macs that just leave the default background on there...
  • Reply 54 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

THANK you.

Of course, if they are verified, they're no longer rumors.
  • Reply 55 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, if they are verified, they're no longer rumors.

And therefore no longer subject to the wild speculation and pointless arguments that make up 90% of the posts here. (The other 10% are probably just looking for the Help Desk.)

Quote:

We all sold our laptops, kept out desktop and bought iPads.

My laptop IS my desktop. But I get your point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cilago View Post

That's very true. Of course, OS X apps are often much larger (and more complex) than iPhone apps, but why not buy them online, in one place, in the same manner you'd buy an iPhone app? Doing this would help sell Macs, I'll tell you that.
  • Reply 56 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

And therefore no longer subject to the wild speculation and pointless arguments that make up 90% of the posts here. (The other 10% are looking for the Help Desk.)

Well, the purpose of a rumors site, of which this article is a part, is to bring together rumors, and have fun discussing them. But we also do bring hard news. It's a balance.

You can go and look at sites that just bring straight news, and you'll see that there are far fewer posts. We have more, and usually, better interaction.
  • Reply 57 of 138
    Quote:

Quit reading into that image. It's just a fucking lion and and Apple logo.

Perhaps it indicates a March 1 release date... y'know, in like a Lion...?
  • Reply 58 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Perhaps it indicates a March 1 release date... y'know, in like a Lion...?

Not March 2011. We should have heard about external beta testing moving forward by now.
  • Reply 59 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not March 2011. We should have heard about external beta testing moving forward by now.

Yeah, just trying to plumb any additional meaning behind the rather obvious lion image... Perhaps another Disney cross-promotion? "Lion King X"?
  • Reply 60 of 138
    Quote:

Sounds true. It's not a big deal.

I'm hoping for more important new features, like decent mouse tracking software. And I mean decent by Apple's standards.

And a way to e-mail quickly, like you can on iOS. There's no reason in the world that Mac OS X can't bring me into composing an e-mail as fast, or even faster than iOS. And while I'm on the subject, where's Mac OS X's unified notification system? Growl is one of the messiest things I've ever encountered, but I'm convinced it only gets used because Apple's version of it doesn't exist. And why is it so messy installing apps, or deleting apps? For Apple these things could be way cleaner, quicker and simpler.

If there's one thing Apple can't do...it's notifications. :/

iOS needs a major overhaul in notifications, as does OS X.