Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, they didn't. I don't remember anything so definite.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._os_x_107.html

You could argue he was answering the second part of the question.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

Really? How often do you change your background? From what I can tell most users change it maybe once or twice in the whole time they have their computers!

What? The point is; when you right-click on a photo that's a handy option to have. And having it up top makes sense.
  • Reply 83 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, just trying to plumb any additional meaning behind the rather obvious lion image... Perhaps another Disney cross-promotion? "Lion King X"?

Apple aren't using their 50B in cash to buy MGM.
  • Reply 84 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Can someone explain me what's wrog with mouse tracking in OS X?

The problem is it's not very good. It works, it just could be better. It's generally too slow, second-from-full-speed isn't fast enough for most people, that should be the medium setting. It has no acceleration. By Apple's standards it's all kind of mediocre.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

And I think that you can be very productive on an iPad already.

You can in certain respects, but not for real work. The mac is king. The mouse is king, for work.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

Managing files. In iOs you pretty much can't access your files natively. When you want to use a file, you have to open a specific app for that file. There is no way (and no apparent need) to manage your files manually. I don't think that a desktop OS can completely ditch manual file-management, but I think it's an area where Apple thinks about alternative ways to do it.

iOS needs to borrow from the Mac, and the Mac needs to borrow from iOS is that respect. Storing Keynote files inside the app, visually, would make sense.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

If you are proficient computer user you probably can touch type at least 80 wpm. So, keystrokes are really cheap. If you learn to drive your OS and apps using keyboard, and in OS X you can, that's one of the great features of the Mac OS X, then you can be way faster than anyone using any specialty pointing device to navigate the UI and drive the apps. You can type up to 10 chars a second, and if those happen to be commands then you can accomplish a lot, and in that same time mouse users will have their hand traveling towards the mouse, jiggling it a bit to find the pointer, moving to the menu bar, clicking on menu, moving down to select the menu option and that's just to do 1 thing of those 10 keystrokes you did in 1 second.

That's true.
  • Reply 88 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Never seen anyone use a mouse at full speed? You would be surprised.

In my experience some tasks can be accomplished faster with a keyboard than a mouse and vise versa. Experienced users use both and 'at the same time'.

But touch chances it all. Because to 'reach for your keyboard' is now the same distance (action) as to reach for your touch screen. So no time lost (if thats important) to be able to do anything, not just typing.

Think about that.

In reality that argument has no weight.
  • Reply 89 of 138
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The problem is it's not very good. It works, it just could be better. It's generally too slow, second-from-full-speed isn't fast enough for most people, that should be the medium setting. It has no acceleration. By Apple's standards it's all kind of mediocre.

Looks good to me. I guess it's personal.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    Quote:

Looks good to me. I guess it's personal.

I don't think it is. Some things are subjective, but some are just true.

Apple's bluetooth mouse-drivers suck. I know the MX Revolution is a laser-mouse, but just use it for a week, with their drivers and you'll see how real mouse software is done. It's not just the fact that it's a laser-mouse, the software for using the mouse is simply better. I say Apple needs to address some big fundamentals first, and I don't mean redesigned scrollbars. I mean things like the window-zoom button and copy and pasting files etc. The big things, not the superfluous. Don't get me wrong, I want a new UI just as much as the next guy, but I think there are far more larger pressing issues. I still think OS X is 10 times the OS that 7 is, I just think they can go further.

Further than this:

And yes, vertical traffic lights are coming.

• Reply 91 of 138
    Quote:

I don't think it is. Some things are subjective, but some are just true.

Apple's bluetooth mouse-drivers suck. I know the MX Revolution is a laser-mouse, but just use it for a week, with their drivers and you'll see how real mouse software is done. It's not just the fact that it's a laser-mouse, the software for using the mouse is simply better. I say Apple's needs to address some big fundamentals first, and I don't mean redesigned scrollbars. I mean things like the window-zoom button and copy and pasting files etc. The big things, not the superfluous. Don't get me wrong, I want a new UI just as much as the next guy, but I think there are far more larger pressing issues. I still think OS X is 10 times the OS that 7 is, I just think they can go further.

Further than this:

I changed MX revolution to magic Mouse for that same reason. It's still personal to some degree you want it or not.
  • Reply 92 of 138
    I agree with the mouse tracking. I have Win7 installed via BootCamp to play some games and the mouse responsiveness is a lot better. Mac OS X feels nearly sluggish in comparison.

But that's only a small detail that fit into the "under the hood improvements" I expected for SL. If that is a feature they announce a "breakthrough" I'd be very disappointed. Same goes for the most small thing "Ireland" mentioned (change wallpaper or send mails via context menu). They are nice little things that I'd expect in a 10.6.x release but not in 10.7.

EDIT:

@ Ireland:

What makes you think that vertical traffic lights will surely come?
  • Reply 93 of 138
    Quote:

I changed MX revolution to magic Mouse for that same reason. It's still personal to some degree you want it or not.

Nice trade-down.
  • Reply 94 of 138
    Quote:

But that's only a small detail that fit into the "under the hood improvements" I expected for SL. If that is a feature they announce as "breakthrough" I'd be very disappointed.

This is exactly my point. They needs "less breakthrough stuff" and more fixes to stuff that should have been seen to before. We don't use our computers for "breakthrough" features, we make far more use of the practical stuff that gets stuff done. This is what Lion should be. That would be king.

"Here's a list of the 25 biggest complaints we get about Mac OS X gets from our users. We have fixed them all…."

That would be great!
  • Reply 95 of 138
    Quote:

Nice trade-down.

Don't know what's the reason, but i like vertical traffic lights.
  • Reply 96 of 138
    Quote:

Don't know what's the reason, but i like vertical traffic lights.

I like them too. They are more practical.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    Quote:

This is exactly my point. They needs "less breakthrough stuff" and more fixes to stuff that should have been seen to before. We don't use our computers for "breakthrough" features, we make far more use of the practical stuff that gets stuff done. This is what Lion should be. That would be king.

"Here's a list of the 25 biggest complaints we get about Mac OS X gets from our users. We have fixed them all…."

That would be great!

I'd like that, too. But again, that shouldn't be the all new feature! Plus, that's not the way Apple works.

Quote:

I like them too. They are more practical.

How? They save space that was pretty redundant before, but "practical"? I personally find it easier to move the cursor in a horizontal line than in a vertical line. Therefore, it's easier for me to hit the traditional traffic light. That said, I don't really use them that much, I use tend to use shortcuts...
  • Reply 98 of 138
    I would like someone to explain to me how in the hell they think anyone could actually create 3d models and animation in a touch interface-it cannot be done period-if you think so you are seriously one inept individual and lose all credibility. This is only one example of several examples of touch limitations-hope you haven't injured yourselves falling off that turnip truck.
  • Reply 99 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I would like someone to explain to me how in the hell they think anyone could actually create 3d models and animation in a touch interface-it cannot be done period-if you think so you are seriously one inept individual and lose all credibility.

*snort* Ignorance is bliss.

10.7 Wishlist:

Resolution Independence.

Tabbed Finder.

iTunes' Illuminous scrollbars system-wide (I already have that, but they're hacked in).

That's really it for me. Better multithreading performance, obviously.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Wait, wait, wait. We were talking about "touch" as in Magic Trackpad not as in desktop Touch Screen. Because the later is one of the most inefficient and unergonomic ways to work.

In my opinion, a touch interface is one of the worst ideas for a desktop as long as the screen is standing up.

Your right, a 'touchpad' is not the same as a touchscreen.

I wasn't implying that. The point is that they both support (the same) gestures.

As for unergonomic, did you work with an iPad? This directly contradicts your statement.

Try typing on a keyboard without using it (or the table) as a resting point. It won't work.

The same holds true for a touch screen, you must be able to rest your arms.

So, a touch desktop will be almost horizontal with a slight angle comparable to a lessenaar (reading desk) of the past.

J.