HP announces Palm Pre 2 with webOS 2.0, launching 'soon' in US

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    France now? US later? Can somebody explain that to me?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but Adobe must be dancing in the streets. If and when this phone actually hits the market, Adobe will be able to claim that 0.2% of smartphones run Flash instead of the current 0.1%.

Here's how you spin that: "Adobe announces an unprecedented 200% growth in Flash on mobiles adoption"
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Did I miss it? I would have thought HP would have include a state-of-the-art print ability to all their printers!

Oh please. HP can't even make an HP wireless printer driver work reliably on my HP laptop.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

I'd like WebOS to succeed to. Nice OS, and I used Palms after the demise of the Newton, until iPhone Apps were established. Yes, they were very "creaky plastic" Centro most of all. But WebOS IS too late.

Even the old mainstay of Palm OS developers like DataViz had failed to produce a Documents-to-Go for WebOS (even before RIM recently bought them up to ensure a version for their new OS).

MS' strategy may be silly in many respects, but they get the point about developers being crucial and are paying them heavily in an attempt to pushstart the WP7 app market. Availability of Apps is the reason Android and iOS are in the ascendency.

By end of Q1 2011, WebOS will have a mobile office suite from other vendors like Quickoffice. It is not a question of too little, too late. Android sucks in user experience and battery life. If HP puts good hardware behind WebOS, it will be a good alternative to the iPhone. Applications can pick up if they push it aggressively.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    I think it would be a good thing for Palm/HP to succeed in the smart phone business. It could be very good competition for Apple. HP is a good company in search of a mission. Maybe this is it. I think the Palm webOS has potential, if they do it right, to knock off Android, which is basically too "geeky" to succeed in the long run (and I say that as a pretty happy owner of a Droid v.1)

The issue of a lack of apps may not be that big of a deal. How many apps do you really use? I have about 40, and probably use 20 with any regularity. I really don't need any more flashlight apps, and no fart apps at all. If Palm/HP were to develop a good core group of apps (and they already list the basics: facebook, google cal, google contacts, a good podcast player, a good media player, news, weather, etc., and a few key games - they have free trial of Angry Birds!) they are off to the races.

It will be interesting to see if Palm/HP and the new Windows whateverthehecktheycallit mobile system take big bites out of android. I don't see them stealing much from Apple, for a while at least.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    i never used webOS 1.x. hopefully i'll try it out, along with webOS 2.0, oneday because i'm quite interested to see different approaches in UI and UX.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Up to 5 hours talk time? That sounds a bitty low don't you think? The iPhone 4 has 7 hours on 3G and 14 hours on 2G and up to 300 hours standby. The Pre 2 quotes 350 hours standby, so must save more power when not in use but eats the battery when you use it for anything.

No figures available for video playback, web browsing etc but would expect them to be similar to the talk-time figures. Also no mention of a mac/pc proper sync app or iTunes plugin.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

By end of Q1 2011, WebOS will have a mobile office suite from other vendors like Quickoffice. It is not a question of too little, too late. Android sucks in user experience and battery life. If HP puts good hardware behind WebOS, it will be a good alternative to the iPhone. Applications can pick up if they push it aggressively.

It's going to be real hard for that to happen. first of all, developers have to have a strong feeling that this platform isn't just going to die off, despite HP's purchasing them. It really seems to me that the phone is an afterthought to Hp. They want this primarily for embedded use, as they've stated. then they want a tablet. The phone is just a stepchild.

It's even possible that they would never have released it if most of the costs weren't already there. It's the only WebOS 2 phone that will work well with it. Flash won't work on the older phones, so they've already said. Does anyone here really expect Hp to suddenly sell millions of these? I don't think so.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

I think it would be a good thing for Palm/HP to succeed in the smart phone business. It could be very good competition for Apple. HP is a good company in search of a mission. Maybe this is it. I think the Palm webOS has potential, if they do it right, to knock off Android, which is basically too "geeky" to succeed in the long run (and I say that as a pretty happy owner of a Droid v.1)

The issue of a lack of apps may not be that big of a deal. How many apps do you really use? I have about 40, and probably use 20 with any regularity. I really don't need any more flashlight apps, and no fart apps at all. If Palm/HP were to develop a good core group of apps (and they already list the basics: facebook, google cal, google contacts, a good podcast player, a good media player, news, weather, etc., and a few key games - they have free trial of Angry Birds!) they are off to the races.

It will be interesting to see if Palm/HP and the new Windows whateverthehecktheycallit mobile system take big bites out of android. I don't see them stealing much from Apple, for a while at least.

Even if this somehow succeeds, it will compete more against Android than the iPhone. It's geeky, and not easy to learn without a manual. how many people expect to swipe BELOW the screen?