Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 359
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emack View Post

Why the ancient processors? Where's the i3 through i7's???????????

If you paid attention to any rumors / recent technology, you'd know that using i-series processors means having to use Intel chipsets, which means integrated gpu's (the 9400M and 320M are Nvidia). Intel integrated graphics (known as Intel HD graphics) suck and are worse than the 9400M's. So Apple decided to trade older processors for better graphics instead of better processors and crappier graphics.

I wonder how much the 2.13Ghz upgrade is gonna cost. Hopefully not $200 like before. Since the processors are older I hope Steve will give us a discount.
  • Reply 42 of 359
    I wish that it had the iPad's wireless data capabilities.
  • Reply 43 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

The 2GB thing though, that's a pity.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.

You can get a faster processor as well as 4G RAM.

Don't you folks ever read?
  • Reply 44 of 359
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I kind of see your point. Let's hope this is something forthcoming. Now, the only thing deterring me from getting this MBA is the lack of 3G. I really wanted to get the iPad, but after testing it, i really missed the physical keyboard. This MBA is exactly what i'm looking for. However, the lack of 3G seems a bit overlooked. Let's hope for a solution on this, other than a surcharge for 3G tethering from ATT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

iOS and OS/X aren't compatible (yet). So iOS apps won't run on OS/X. And they expose a touch interface, not a mouse interface. While it should be technically possible to accomplish by the time Lion comes out (you can run iOS apps in the development simulator after all), I don't see how it will work well.

• Reply 45 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Since the processors are older I hope Steve will give us a discount.

Are you retarded?

• Reply 46 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smerch View Post

Are you retarded?

Processor upgrade is $100. Evidently Steve is retarded too; he's giving us a discount.
  • Reply 47 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hearn View Post

2GB, where are you getting that? That was the other problem with the current Air.

I originally thought that would be the case.

But after thinking about it, the biggest problem with low RAM is swapping with the HD. This, however, does not have a HD, but more SSD (which is a lot faster) so hopefully, it shouldn't be much slower at all.
  • Reply 48 of 359
    This is a very tempting work computer for me, but some questions are unanswered.

What will the SSD performance over time be like? Most non-Sandforce implementations lose their oomph due to the lack of over-provisioning and other issues.

Is this an SDXC slot?

Does the flash device sit on a daughtercard or is it on the main board?

Will it overheat?

Will Lion see more efficiencies with memory and storage use like Snow Leopard, or will the SSD capacity and RAM limitation prove to be a significant problem?

Interesting to see that Intel and Nvidia are still in their hissy fit with one another over pairing chips with integrated graphics -- so once again, the price of getting discrete graphics is a Core2Duo. Can't someone sue Intel for antitrust violations over this?
  • Reply 49 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I wish you would think before you ask such questions

I did you moron.........wish you'd think before you dribble out the corner of your mouth
  • Reply 50 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The swap will be fast on ssd, but even so my old Macbook had 2gb and struggled. i can't imagine it would be much better

Try reading the article. 4G memory is an option as is a faster processor .
  • Reply 51 of 359
    Pretty excited here. Everything I wanted apart from the glass cover screen; I've said to myself I'm not going to get another laptop with a dust-magnet screen rim, but as I said, EVERYTHING else I wanted, I might have to make an exception.

So just to warn you all, I think I'll be going for an 11.6" one of some description. Given my history this is something the rest of you may want to avoid.

I'd link to MacRumours but can't get past their dead live page right now. Suffice it to say: iBook 800MHz - logic board died 3x; PB 12" - logic board died 2x; MBP 15" 2008 - logic board has already died once and is yet again in the known faulty lot. So I can be fairly sure the 11.6" Air is going to have a faulty GPU, and with the storage on the logic board as well, I'm in for a hell of a ride .
  • Reply 52 of 359
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Who uses optical drives? I haven't popped a disc in in years. App Store for downloads. iTunes for movies. They are providing an ecosystem for "most" of us. It just isn't right for you.

I do use optical all the time. For example I bought the family pack bundle OS iLife, iWork,. I often burn CD's as well. But everything is transitioning to USB memory stick and SD cards so now you have to switch over if you want the portability of the Air, which is very tempting for me since my MBP is a few years old now. That is the problem with these damn Macs. They last too long. Difficult to justify replacing one when the old one is still working so well.
  • Reply 53 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Who cares about processors. This thing is the "Sex" and it's "elegant" and "oh so thin". I, like all Apple Fans, can't wait to shell $1000 for this "delicious" laptop with it's Sexy 11.6" screen and 2 WHOLE GIGS of RAM!!!!

Woooo Hoooo This changes everything!!!! Go Steve!!!

Yeah, well, what's wrong with sexiness and elegance? Do you have a problem with sex, go on, tell us, everyone has had some sort of problem with sex in their lives. Maybe if you speak about it you can start buying powerful and beautiful laptops instead of garbage, and you might solve your sex problem too.
  • Reply 54 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

You can get 4GB as BTO. Don't know if it is user-upgradeable.
  • Reply 55 of 359
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smerch View Post

Are you retarded?

No I am not. The processor price decreases over time. They were much newer when they first came in the MBA's, and so cost more. Now they are cheaper, so the BTO option should be cheaper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hearn View Post

Processor upgrade is $100. Evidently Steve is retarded too; he's giving us a discount.

Thank you.

Though apparently you can only get the processor upgrade on the $1599 model, which means you need to pay at least $1699 for the 2.13Ghz processor, which kind of stinks. I don't want the extra SSD drive space, just the extra speed.
  • Reply 56 of 359
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Needs more storage space and cheaper price, but otherwise very cool!
  • Reply 57 of 359
    So to sum up, at the high end the main changes are:

2GB -> 4GB

128GB SSD -> 256GB SSD

1,280 x 800 -> 1,440 x 900

3.0 lbs. -> 2.9 lbs.

Those are all great. It's just a shame about the processor. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 58 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah, well, what's wrong with sexiness and elegance? Do you have a problem with sex, go on, tell us, everyone has had some sort of problem with sex in their lives. Maybe if you speak about it you can start buying powerful and beautiful laptops instead of garbage, and you might solve your sex problem too.

I'd bet your c*ck would fit in the USB port.
  • Reply 59 of 359
    nice start ... looking forward to the tarabyte models. When will they be released?
  • Reply 59 of 359
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think it's pretty clear that they do indeed intend this class of machines to be the future of the MacBook.

Within a few iterations these machines are going to be able to perform on par with the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Some folks will still squawk that that will be "underpowered", but the fact is CPU grunt is now well ahead of 99% of computing tasks and is widening the lead. They're just not making demanding software fast enough to keep up.

So a super light machine with instant on, great battery life and no moving parts is clearly the future, and Apple looks to be intent on ushering it in sooner rather than later.