Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple won't be buying Adobe. I don't know why exactly, but I feel confident they won't.

They won't for no other reason than they've looked at Adobe's financials. Not a pretty sight. This is a company with declining profits and no real prospects for reversing the trend. If that wasn't reason enough (and it is), they also won't because the leadership of the two companies hate each other with a passion -- which would likely mean a hostile takeover. Read: nasty, messy, time-consuming, expensive, and distracting. Why anybody would wish this on Apple is beyond me

In short, a horrible idea. Sorry for the reality therapy, Adobe fans, but it has to be said.
  • Reply 182 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know. That's purely financial. The TVs they still have in channel-inventory are still the best. They'd be buying up their TV factories, talent and IP. Not to mention their experience, for when they themselves get into making TVs and start to produce them. This way they get their foot in the door early and can learn quickly, while manufacturing them themselves and cutting out the middleman, thus producing a better valued premium product. At 1B I think it would be at least an interesting acquisition. Won't happen though.

Yes, their plasmas are the best. I own one of the first Pioneer TVs and it still beats most of the current LCDs in picture quality. Still no burn-in in 6 years. However plasma technology is on the way out and Apple would not be interested in plasma. It would be interesting though to see Apple going into some type of integrated home theater/TV/computer market.
  • Reply 183 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

However plasma technology is on the way out and Apple would not be interested in plasma.

Sad, but true. Even though Steve's personal TV is a Kuro is far as I know.
  • Reply 184 of 193
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We strongly believe one or more strategic opportunities will come along we're in a unique position to take advantage of," Jobs said.

The problem is the industry has no idea of what to do next. And you know who is to blame.
  • Reply 185 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

would be to buy Time Warner....

Market cap of about 35B USD - at a 15% premium, would cost them 40B. Enough left in the tank for a bidding war, should one erupt, and Apple can also take on some debt if required.

This would give Apple entry into media in a big way - movies, music, print publications, TV shows, etc. Together with this, Apple also gets a shot at cracking open the cable business and ISP businesses.

Apple already has a good relationship with Disney, courtesy Steve Jobs' 7% stake in Disney. Owning Time Warner as well will give Apple the clout it needs to control the music business.

Have blogged in detail about this - http://prastalk.blogspot.com/2010/10...-its-cash.html

Buying Disney makes more sense. An Apple/Time Warner with pretty big hooks in Disney would face a lot more regulatory scrutiny than an Apple/Disney merger.

Apple's relationship with Disney sort of begs the question of what Apple would get by owning one of the big media conglomerates that is doesn't already get from its relationship with Disney.
  • Reply 186 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Buying Disney makes more sense. An Apple/Time Warner with pretty big hooks in Disney would face a lot more regulatory scrutiny than an Apple/Disney merger.

Apple's relationship with Disney sort of begs the question of what Apple would get by owning one of the big media conglomerates that is doesn't already get from its relationship with Disney.

Apple owning any entertainment company automatically complicates their efforts to retail the products of their competitors, to the point of virtual impossibility. They are facing enough resistance as is, if only in part because Steve is the largest stockholder in Disney. Apple owning any of these companies outright would very likely prove to be disastrous for their plans.
  • Reply 187 of 193
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Apple owning any entertainment company automatically complicates their efforts to retail the products of their competitors, to the point of virtual impossibility. They are facing enough resistance as is, if only in part because Steve is the largest stockholder in Disney. Apple owning any of these companies outright would very likely prove to be disastrous for their plans.

Right. The content providers have to provide the content anyway. There is no synergy between a consumer electronics company and a studio. Look at Sony.
  • Reply 188 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Right. The content providers have to provide the content anyway. There is no synergy between a consumer electronics company and a studio. Look at Sony.

Good example. As I keep saying, in these acquisitions, 2+2 has to equal 5, not 3.
  • Reply 189 of 193
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Look at Sony...they beat the crap out of Toshiba in part because they owned a studio and Toshiba didn't. Sony had a seat at the studio table deciding between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Toshiba, not so much.

Sony's problem is one of siloing not synergy. Nintendo lives on the synergy between their CE product (Wii) and their content (Mario, etc) from their 1st party game studio. Microsoft is hiring mobile game devs for Microsoft Game Studio. And the Mac wouldn't be as successful without iTunes, iLife and the other 1st party developed content.
  • Reply 190 of 193
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Look at Sony...they beat the crap out of Toshiba in part because they owned a studio and Toshiba didn't. Sony had a seat at the studio table deciding between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Toshiba, not so much.

Sony's problem is one of siloing not synergy. Nintendo lives on the synergy between their CE product (Wii) and their content (Mario, etc) from their 1st party game studio. Microsoft is hiring mobile game devs for Microsoft Game Studio. And the Mac wouldn't be as successful without iTunes, iLife and the other 1st party developed content.

I am pretty sure that your analysis of what went on with Sony and whatever studio they ownedis wrong. And it was a disater.

I wonder what exactly you people think is going to happen here if Apple buy one studio - that that studio wont release to other platforms and cost itself money. I dont see what gain is here.

Akamei. buy Akamei.
  • Reply 191 of 193
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I am pretty sure that your analysis of what went on with Sony and whatever studio they ownedis wrong. And it was a disater.

You're pretty sure despite not knowing what studio they own? Right. They own Columbia and part of MGM (to make sure they got Blu-Ray MGM titles). $7B in revenue and $300M in operating income sure sounds like disaster to me.

MGM is a bit of a disaster but Sony got what it wanted out of that deal: Blu-Ray victory.

Quote:

I wonder what exactly you people think is going to happen here if Apple buy one studio - that that studio wont release to other platforms and cost itself money. I dont see what gain is here.

The point isn't not releasing to other studios but giving iTunes some preferential treatment.

For example, making sure the iTunes release was day and date the same as the BR/DVD release...or even same as the cable or even theater release. Day and date as the theater release would be a huge advantage for Apple but not so much for theater owners.

Some content might be iTunes exclusives for a period. Take for example the HBO original content is exclusive to HBO until they release the DVD/BR.

If Apple felt that all the studios other than Disney was locking Apple out in favor of Amazon or something then they'd have no choice but to create their own content. Even excluding that nuclear winter scenario Apple could STILL gain advantages over competitors like Google and Microsoft by owning a studio to make original content just like HBO does.

Spending a billion like Sony did to buy Columbia would be worth winning the living room. Sony will be making money on Blu-Ray licensing for a good long time.
  • Reply 192 of 193
    why not buy something more simple first like AVID , i mean avid is the biggest competition for apple's final cut, then making it a OSX only app , sorted the pro market is back
  • Reply 193 of 193
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ummm. Our ``investors' ' on AI board appear to be low ranked staff with limited technical visibility.

The thing should be dirt cheap now and should promise explosive price growth in the nearest future.

Otherwise, real investors will skin Tim and Steve alive. Two guys are so far not allowed to hire single friggin' spare engineer without lengthy explanations.