Bank of America, Citigroup testing iPhone to replace BlackBerry

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Have they never heard of symbian? Which supports not only enterprise email but full encryption oh and more R&D than apple and rim together adding rapid battery charging and durability, i always recommend E series nokia smartphones for business they are just perfect for that. I dont use a symbian anymore but know how well it stands in comparison with newcomers and their marketing schemes to sell more and give less.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post

Have they never heard of symbian? Which supports not only enterprise email but full encryption oh and more R&D than apple and rim together adding rapid battery charging and durability, i always recommend E series nokia smartphones for business they are just perfect for that. I dont use a symbian anymore but know how well it stands in comparison with newcomers and their marketing schemes to sell more and give less.

Welcome to the forum. Do you want to explain further why Symbian is superior and these newcomers are inferior? Personally, i don?t see it.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I work in IT for an insurance company, and we are currently testing Macs, iPads, and iPhones that are to be deployed throughout the company by the end of the year. The first ones to get them are the top sales people and executives. Then, the rest will follow. I was told the other day that there may be more than 1,000 iPads purchased early next year by our company, which employs 3,000 people.

I hear that many other insurance companies are doing the same thing. iPads will be connecting via IPSec VPN to the corporate servers where a Citrix VM will be created for each VPN connection. From there, users can use any application via their iPad that they currently use on their Windows desktops or Laptops.

We are also testing iMacs, Macbook Pros, new MacBook Airs, and iPhones.

We are talking about a quantum leap that occurred last summer. We have gone from deriding Apple in the beginning of this year to completely embracing Apple as a better platform than Windows, Blackberry, or Android by the end of the year.

Apple is making a huge entrance in the enterprise market this year. Next year, you will start noticing Apple devices in the enterprise everywhere.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Microsoft. 2012. You heard it here first.

I think you may be correct on this and don't let us forget it, anantksundaram, should it come to pass in a year or two!

Best
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome to the forum. Do you want to explain further why Symbian is superior and these newcomers are inferior? Personally, i don’t see it.

Nicely put, Solipsism, and I too, welcome giodelgado to the forum!

Symbian was on my last phone before the first iPhone. With all due respect, giodelgado, Symbian seems to be on the down swing of innovation.

Best
  • Reply 26 of 48
    If B of A and Citi had been using iphone all along, they would not have needed a US Government bailout.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

If B of A and Citi had been using iphone all along, they would not have needed a US Government bailout.

Now that's funny...if you look at the Monopoly game...in the instructions it specifically says the "Banker" always wins!

The problem in America is that bankers in their $3,000 dollar suits are too willing to get on their knees and give BJ's to our elected officials and in return get tax law changed to benefit the bankers.

Until we can get the bankers to stop getting on their knees or get the elected officials to stop receiving said BJ's nothing will change.

PS. I sent this to the Wall Street Journal, but for some reason they didn't print it!

Best
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I work in IT for an insurance company, and we are currently testing Macs, iPads, and iPhones that are to be deployed throughout the company by the end of the year. The first ones to get them are the top sales people and executives. ....

This insurance company DAMN well better be MY employer. And if it's not, please have your recruiter call me directly.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome to the forum. Do you want to explain further why Symbian is superior and these newcomers are inferior? Personally, i don?t see it.

thanks, I never said others were inferior but as you said, YOU "personally" don't see it.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post

thanks, I never said others were inferior but as you said, YOU "personally" don't see it.

Funny, but "how well it stands in comparison with newcomers and their marketing schemes to sell more and give less" really sounds like you're saying the others are inferior. Unless selling more and giving less leads to excellence?

As far as "not seeing it" being some personal quirk of Solipsism's, I'm not aware of any credible commentator that would recommend Symbian over pretty much any modern smart phone OS, at this point. The general consensus seems to be that Nokia has gotten pretty far into the weeds, and it's going to take some pretty serious sustained effort to get back on track. Perhaps you can link to some convincing arguments otherwise?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    I noticed some people here start to compare default enterprise and security options of various mobile solutions. The point is (and the article explicitly mentions that too) you can easily develop and deploy in-house app with added level of security and compatibility on top of what Apple provides.

I'm afraid this days Blackberry has nothing to fight back with, only waning userbase loyalty to keep themselves afloat.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Please state the name of the company. I'm sure you all have JB'd devices if they are in the hands of your "peeps".

Honestly, if you can't control the device, how can you control your infrastructure?

A good example is being rick rolled if JB'd. And don't tell me your employees won't do it, as it's 100% legal.

Then they will figure a way for itunes on the work provided desktop... because they HAVE TO SYNC!. There goes productivity. I hope your organization is small and not what you stated.

Legal or not, the device will belong to the firm and so JB'ing the device will no doubt be a violation of their corporate policy. I work for a bank and every email, login welcome dialog, etc. reminds you of every action that can lead to termination! The first sign of a JB'd device and you can be sure that the employee will be severely reprimanded or even terminated.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I find this all a bit strange. Every company that I've worked for has been very OS agnostic for smartphones. I currently get the choice between the iPhone, Android, Symbian and Blackberry. Windows Mobile used to be a choice too. With 25,000 employees, I'm surprised that these companies don't already give their employees a choice.

Quick poll: Does your employer give you a choice?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I've bought 3 Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years, so don't conclude that I'm an Apple basher.

My wife recently switched from a BB to an iPhone at work. She hated the iPhone and switched to a Torch about 2 weeks later. This is despite the fact that she has an iPod touch and loves it. As a phone and a business device, she said it was deficient for the following reasons:

1) The phone quality was lousy and she kept getting dropped calls. To be fair, the person she gave her phone to afterwards didn't have the same problems.

2) There's no speed dial functionality, and the speed dial apps all fall short. This in contrast to the BB, where you hold one key and it dials.

3) There's no way to do single (non-bulk) deletes of old call logs.

4) The email app was deficient. Among her complaints were the fact she couldn't do bulk deletes for old emails. Also, she couldn't select multiple emails to flag or to put into a folder.

5) The calendar app was deficient.

6) The hands-free calling functionality is deficient, as every attempt to call with a Bluetooth presented her with 3 options for each outgoing call. There was no obvious preference setting to change this.

On the other hand, she liked the new Torch. The browser and multi-touch apps aren't as good as the iPhone, but good enough,

As much as I don't like my own work BB (I believe it's the Curve), I can imagine with the hundreds of emails I get a day how much I would miss delete prior email functionality.

I think the only issue is that Apple hasn't put the resources into making their core apps business-friendly. Once they do, I have no doubt they'll close the gap.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    people are pretty polarized on the iphone/BB thing. Many BB users are pretty entrenched in general, RIM had a record quarter recently despite all the RIM's goin down! shouts.

But that said, they should be more than a little concerned.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    ggleyggley Posts: 22member
    This is something expected. Hmmm. Android. :|
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I've bought 3 Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years, so don't conclude that I'm an Apple basher.

My wife recently switched from a BB to an iPhone at work. She hated the iPhone and switched to a Torch about 2 weeks later. This is despite the fact that she has an iPod touch and loves it. As a phone and a business device, she said it was deficient for the following reasons:

1) The phone quality was lousy and she kept getting dropped calls. To be fair, the person she gave her phone to afterwards didn't have the same problems.

2) There's no speed dial functionality, and the speed dial apps all fall short. This in contrast to the BB, where you hold one key and it dials.

4) The email app was deficient. Among her complaints were the fact she couldn't do bulk deletes for old emails. Also, she couldn't select multiple emails to flag or to put into a folder.

6) The hands-free calling functionality is deficient, as every attempt to call with a Bluetooth presented her with 3 options for each outgoing call. There was no obvious preference setting to change this.

On the other hand, she liked the new Torch. The browser and multi-touch apps aren't as good as the iPhone, but good enough,

As much as I don't like my own work BB (I believe it's the Curve), I can imagine with the hundreds of emails I get a day how much I would miss delete prior email functionality.

I think the only issue is that Apple hasn't put the resources into making their core apps business-friendly. Once they do, I have no doubt they'll close the gap.

valid points. hope Apple is working on improvements.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    I'm an iPhone user, from Day 1, but my new company is currently standardized on Blackberry. They sent me a BB Torch and after having spent a few weeks with it, I've come to the following conclusions:

- iPhone is far superior in terms of User Experience. The iPhone is simple, intuitive, and responsive. The Torch is clunky, confusing, and the slide out keyboard is difficult to type on.

- iPhone is far superior in terms of most built-in and 3rd Party applications. Web Browsing is much smoother, on iPhone, and BB Tourch's Music player is a joke compared to iPhone. I listen to a lot of Podcasts, so there is no comparison.

- Blackberry's Email and Calendar is far superior to iPhones. Sorry, but there is simply no two ways about it. This is where the BB excels and one reason why it's the 'standard' at many corporations. The integration with Exchange Email/Calendar/Contacts is seamless. Blackberry's standard 'push' email and calendar is really far superior to Apple's iTune's Sync and/or purchasing the add-on MobileMe cloud service. In my opinion, Apple should include Push email/calendar as part of it's standard service offering. Maybe this is an AT&T thing, but I really like this feature and can no longer live without it.

- Call Quality is about the same on both. Same carrier (AT&T).

I think Apple is moving in the right direction however, they need to pay more attention to Enterprise Customers. Their traditional focus on Consumers means they often miss opportunities because they lack the focus and understanding of Enterprise customer needs. This is not surprising given Steve Jobs public statements and the fact that the vast majority of their revenue comes from Consumers.

Also, a lot of people don't know that Dell's KACE Management Appliance can manage iPhones (in addition to Windows, MacOS, and Linux). This includes OS updates, Inventory, App Distribution, and more. If I were an IT Director with iPhones in my enterprise, I would strongly consider KACE.
  • Reply 39 of 48

Here is a 5 min. MacWorld Video 60 days prior to the iPad going on sale but after Job's Keynote...see how wrong PC World gets it & Snell gets it right!

http://www.youtube.com/v/qV-JwjI96Gk...dded&version=3

Yes the PC World Guy got it wrong, but let us be fair to him. After all he is just trying to Pay his rent and food. What else could he say. ?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm glad your wife was able to find a phone that works well for her. That's really all that is important.

Just wanted to comment on items 2 and 4

2) Speed Dial. I found the favorites functionality in the phone application to provide similar functionality.

4) You can bulk delete and move emails into folders by selecting the Edit button in the upper right hand corner. You can't create new folders in the app though which is a drag.