Apple issues iOS 4.2.1 golden master for iPhone, iPad to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

But yeah.. Set the language to "British English".

Please moderate your tone. After all our American friends are right to differentiate their spell checking software. The question you should be askng is: when will the British come on board the 21st century and stop spelling the English language like if it was French? (colour instead of color, etc.).
  • Reply 22 of 105
    Quote:

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

Well, write the OS yourself, release it as English, and be sure to add an "American" English keyboard for us ignorant bastards. Add "American" Spanish and "American" French for our neighbors, too. Please
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Someone just point me to the 4.2.1 URL, please.

That is the url if you're not a developer. Just click on download links and you'll see what's available for your device. iPad 4.2.1 and iPhone 4.2.1 are still uploading.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coxyuk View Post

Has it been taken out in previous gold masters? Works fine in iOS3.x

I don't have access to the gold masters, thus my question. The iPad currently has British keyboards, but no English dictionaries. Just 'Murican'.

So when you are writing, you not only get squigglies under a bunch of words, the auto-correct tries to 'correct' them all the time which is very annoying.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Pretty sure the thing was designed in California, USA and not Liverpool.

Always found Apple's products to be quite smashing. Ripping, what? Was pondering this while smoking a fag, and awaiting at the tube. But then I remembered I left my iPad in the boot of my auto; put it there while getting some petrol. Had just enough time to check it before I had to speed off to shag my wife.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Please moderate your tone. After all our American friends are right to differentiate their spell checking software. The question you should be askng is: when will the British come on board the 21st century and stop spelling the English language like if it was French? (colour instead of color, etc.).

You only speak English because of the English.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That is the url if you're not a developer. Just click on download links and you'll see what's available for your device. iPad 4.2.1 and iPhone 4.2.1 are still uploading.

You're the man.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenga View Post

something is terribly wrong with this update, apple had plenty of time to polish it and now it has "serious" bugs??? i'm using an ipad an it's fantastic but after updating my ipod touch to 4.1 it's very difficult to go back to 3.x.x.. I just hope they fix this issue pronto and release the update..

ipad rocks!

Maybe if they weren't so focused on the Beatles...
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Well, write the OS yourself, release it as English, and be sure to add an "American" English keyboard for us ignorant bastards. Add "American" Spanish and "American" French for our neighbors, too. Please

I understand American Spanish, but who in the world speaks "American French"?

As for the wording, British English is "English," so it's definitely not insulting to refer to English as "English" and American as "US English." The US version is after all a variant that came much later, almost like a dialect of the original language.

It's the same situation as "Canadian French." It's a later variant (and quite different in spelling and pronunciation), than the original, thus the name. At the same time, you don't expect the French to rename their language "French French." That would be offensive. So saying that English folks should start referring to their language as "British English" is actually a reasonably insulting thing to do.

However, practically speaking, "US English" and "UK English" are generally non-offensive and totally sensible terms and people don't get upset by their use.

The main offence is really caused when people (Americans) just assume that everyone prefers the American variant (they actually don't, most English speakers around the world use original English spellings). I personally was also a little offended, (and I know others were too), by the world-wide release of a device for writing (the iPad), that didn't contain a simple English dictionary.

Since that's apparently being fixed with 4.2.1 though maybe we should all just chill and forget about it.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    As much as I'd like 4.2, I want Xcode 4 more. Any news on that front?
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

As much as I'd like 4.2, I want Xcode 4 more. Any news on that front?

They did that bid on November 12th.
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

They did that bid on November 12th.

... What?
  • Reply 33 of 105
    Quote:

You only speak English because of the English.

This assertion would be more compelling with the word "only" relocated two words to the right.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The main offence is really caused when people (Americans) just assume that everyone prefers the American variant (they actually don't, most English speakers around the world use original English spellings). I personally was also a little offended, (and I know others were too), by the world-wide release of a device for writing (the iPad), that didn't contain a simple English dictionary. )

you don't need to wait for iOS 4.2, half way through this thread is the solution for the current iPad OS

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2455605

Here's what they said

1. Go to Settings

2. Go to Keyboards

3. Select International Keyboards

4. Select 'Add new Keyboard'

5. Select 'English (UK)

6. Go back to Keyboards and Select EDIT (top right hand corner)

(you should have 2 keyboards showing now and the bottom one will be English (UK)

7. Drag that one (English (UK)) to the top - first selection

8. Go back to General

9. Select International

(made certain that Language reads ENGLISH and check that Keyboards has 2 registered and that English (UK) is still the first selection.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadPhysics View Post

This assertion would be more compelling with the word "only" relocated two words to the right.

Loving the grammatical gymnastics on AI! Apple seem to lead the way on the Appalling Grammar League tables though. To hell with the software, let's get the grammar sorted eh? Is there a 'Yonge & Eglinton, Toronto English' setting btw?
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I understand American Spanish, but who in the world speaks "American French"?

As for the wording, British English is "English," so it's definitely not insulting to refer to English as "English" and American as "US English." The US version is after all a variant that came much later, almost like a dialect of the original language.

It's the same situation as "Canadian French." It's a later variant (and quite different in spelling and pronunciation), than the original, thus the name. At the same time, you don't expect the French to rename their language "French French." That would be offensive. So saying that English folks should start referring to their language as "British English" is actually a reasonably insulting thing to do.

However, practically speaking, "US English" and "UK English" are generally non-offensive and totally sensible terms and people don't get upset by their use.

The main offence is really caused when people (Americans) just assume that everyone prefers the American variant (they actually don't, most English speakers around the world use original English spellings). I personally was also a little offended, (and I know others were too), by the world-wide release of a device for writing (the iPad), that didn't contain a simple English dictionary.

Since that's apparently being fixed with 4.2.1 though maybe we should all just chill and forget about it.

Actually, the main offense is speakers of British English assuming that their dialect is the Mother Tongue and everything else is merely a derivation. If that's the case, then we'd all better apologize to the Germans, since English is derived from their root language, according to linguists.

But perhaps you're the more cunning linguist.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    So,

Is the wireless issue on the iPad's FIXED ??
  • Reply 38 of 105
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Wow. My comment made the whole thread go waaaay off topic I see \

What I meant by my comment was not to insult anyone but simply to point out that "British English" is a double positive, and that "English" being used to refer to the US variant of English is somewhat incorrect and that the system used in iOS 3.x (which used "English (UK)" and "English (US)") was, in my opinion, more politically correct as UK English came before US English.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:

It's called Brisith English so as not to confuse Americans.

We in America spell "Brisith" differently. I didn't realize that this was due to confusion.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Actually, spellings that the British use, like colour, humour, cheque and the like are carry overs from the French occupation of England that began in 1066.

So while the language is called English, it's the English that have bastardized it the most.

And for the last time... there is no extra i in aluminum!