34% of non-AT&T smartphone buyers wish they could buy Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Wrong..I am a happy At&t iPhone users and most users I know are pretty happy too..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMeMine View Post

99.9% of iPhone owners wish that they could escape AT&T (the other 0.9% have jailbroken iphones).

• Reply 22 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

I was trying to figure out how this data fit into the overall market.

1/3 of 1/5 is very much smaller than 1/3 of the customer base.

We're talking about 7% of the market.

we are talking about the US smartphone market in this thread.

/remedial intervention.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Well very soon, if not already, it's a mute point whether or not Apple's iPhone is a success! I say it is.

And, if anyone disagrees, they need to have their head "looked" at!

Best
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

99.9% of iPhone owners wish that they could escape AT&T (the other 0.9% have jailbroken iphones).

Why do ppl make such dumb and overly simplistic comments like this?

AT&T has millions upon millions of user who have not and will not EVER use or buy an iPhone, yet they remain with AT&T, curious ...
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Why do ppl make such dumb and overly simplistic comments like this?

AT&T has millions upon millions of user who have not and will not EVER use or buy an iPhone, yet they remain with AT&T, curious ...

The post you were quoting did not mention non-iPhone users on AT&T.

/remedial
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The post you were quoting did not mention non-iPhone users on AT&T.

/remedial

You are correct. However, if you took the time to think about my post instead of only trying to fire a weak attempt at being clever, you might actually grasp the concept I was offering?

My point was, why would 99.9% of all iPhone users want to leave AT&T just because they own an iPhone? They wouldn't, and I know this because there are many others who are not stuck with AT&T under a sole iPhone exclusive contract, yet remain with AT&T. Get it, or do you need me to draw you a picture?
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

You are correct. However, if you took the time to think about my post instead of only trying to fire a weak attempt at being clever, you might actually grasp the concept I was offering?

My point was, why would 99.9% of all iPhone users want to leave AT&T just because they own an iPhone? They wouldn't, and I know this because there are many others who are not stuck with AT&T under a sole iPhone exclusive contract, yet remain with AT&T. Get it, or do you need me to draw you a picture?

Still not getting it, tbh. You have pronoun issues ( it is not clear who "they" are - AT&T users, or iPhone users, or does it change half way through?).

The poster you quoted is wrong about the 99% wanting to defect, but some iPhone users will defect. And, 34% of non-AT&T smartphone buyers wish they could buy Apple's iPhone. Which is what this thread is about. Its less confusing.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    iphone or bust!
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Still not getting it, tbh. You have pronoun issues ( it is not clear who "they" are - AT&T users, or iPhone users, or does it change half way through?).

The poster you quoted is wrong about the 99% wanting to defect, but some iPhone users will defect. And, 34% of non-AT&T smartphone buyers wish they could buy Apple's iPhone. Which is what this thread is about. Its less confusing.

Oh you mean a pronoun issue instead of pronoun issues (since you only offered up one example), right?

Oh and what is less confusing? Your continued attempts at grammar nazism or your attempt to clarify the simplistic thread?

I can go all day ...
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:

That's 100.8%...
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

bull

if they want an iphone they would just change their carrier. All carriers are equally crappy.

not every one can just change carriers ETF's being suck on family talk plans etc
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

7% of what market?

The cellphone market in the US.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

what about the % of people who haven't even purchased an iphone because of its exclusivity on at&t and would purchase if/when it comes to another carrier?

They are not represented in the data. The only respondents were recent smartphone buyers.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

You assume that iPhone buyers think the same as the average ATT customer. But iPhone buyers think different. So the percentage of iPhone users who want to leave ATT might well be 99.9%, even if most of the dumbphone users are happy as clams.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Hmm... it appears that someone has left money on this table...(looks around) Hey Apple, is this yours?
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

While this may be true, I'm more impressed in the fact that there is 100.8% of iPhone owners!! Do we get bonus points because of our awesomeness?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    What this really means that Apple coning to other carriers is going to be BIG!!!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The cellphone market in the US.

But that's the part of the market that's growing, and it's growing fast. In another year Apple will be 14%, then higher afterwards.

Android will stop growing appreciably as a percentage of the smartphone market shortly. There's simply not much further they can go than, say 60% eventually. Apple will grow faster as they move to more networks here, while Android is now on all of them. So we'll see that high Android growth rate slow down, and Apple's speed up.

RIM won't go away, though they're through being the leader. Even WP7 will gain some marketshare.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You assume that iPhone buyers think the same as the average ATT customer. But iPhone buyers think different. So the percentage of iPhone users who want to leave ATT might well be 99.9%, even if most of the dumbphone users are happy as clams.

I doubt that very much. I'm willing to bet that not more than about 25% would leave. I see no reason to, and I'm in NYC. Verizon simply isn't that much better, and i still find places where my AT&T iPhone works where a friend's Verizon phone doesn't. It not all that cut and dry.

It also depends on the respective plans. Verizon tends to be more expensive, and seems also to be more aggressive about charging for other services. They also have much poorer customer service.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt that very much. I'm willing to bet that not more than about 25% would leave. I see no reason to,

If there is no reason to leave, then why will 25% leave?