Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 187
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You can only use gmail or even exchange for an exchange account if the hardware encryption is turned off for the entire set of users on that Exchange Server. How many IT departments doe that? Almost none. Another software feature that's all but worthless because exactly zero Android handsets have the required hardware.

So calling that a valid push feature is at best uneducated, at worst, disingenuous.

Mobile me offers no more encryption options, what are you on about?
  • Reply 182 of 187
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Let me mock you some more:

Typical internet basher. Look something up quickly without understanding it, then use it as a bludgeon in a online venue. But the priceless part is getting it wrong! Wow, wasn't that just something! You do it all by yourself!

Your posts are painting a pretty insecure picture. Your arguments are weak to nonexistent, I've refuted them multiple times. It obviously hasn't made any difference to you, so why give any more visibility to those posts? Wouldn't make sense.

Please continue using foul language and ad hom attacks. I welcome the opportunity to help you find your vacation.

As for the HTC Sense UI being a free replacement for MobileMe, that fails too as solipsism has taken you factually to task. Almost all that functionality is from other 3rd party products, not part of the UI itself, none of it is integrated and Google Docs does not allow you to store arbitrary file data, only Google Docs files.

You give a laundry list of a piecemeal landscape that covers some majority of MobileMe functionality, but is missing the important rest of the picture. Integration and generality and simplification. Those happen to be worth something substantial. Factual inaccuracies like what you are providing are called white-washing or litter box logic. But if that's all you got, that's all you got and it explains a lot.

Another poster has already explained how solopsism is wrong. You have basically cherry picked arguments that you think you can defend and done a very bad job at it. If you look at mobile me the same way as our original argument (iOS locks you in with less choice than other platforms) then it is just another thing apple want to lock you into for a year at least, limiting your choice for a new platform. Subscriptions for a service that is available free elsewhere for the tech savvy is not in the consumer's interest unless they like flashy interfaces and worship jobs like some of you fanboys.
  • Reply 183 of 187
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Another poster has already explained how solopsism is wrong. You have basically cherry picked arguments that you think you can defend and done a very bad job at it. If you look at mobile me the same way as our original argument (iOS locks you in with less choice than other platforms) then it is just another thing apple want to lock you into for a year at least, limiting your choice for a new platform. Subscriptions for a service that is available free elsewhere for the tech savvy is not in the consumer's interest unless they like flashy interfaces and worship jobs like some of you fanboys.

"Worship Jobs like some of you fanboys."

And right there it becomes evident that you actually have no argument at all, no case to make, nothing to say. Pathetic.
  • Reply 184 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, it doesn't. It only works with devices that have a GPS chip, that being iPhones and the 3G iPad. It doesn't work with the WiFi iPad or the iPod Touch.

Find My iPhone works without GPS, too. It can use the wireless network to gain your location, just like Maps used prior to the iPhone being released with a GPS chip.

There is a potential problem, which is an issue with Apple?s setup. If you are not on WiFi it won?t work unless the device is connected to a known network that requires no password or acceptance page. So, if you have it password protected the person who found/stole your device won?t be able to get it on the network, therefore making it impossible for you locate, send a message or wipe. If you do keep it unlocked there is no other security within MobileMe to prevent the user from turning offer Find My iPhone or simply deleting your MobileMe account from the device altogether.

It?s a piss poor setup for anything not automatically connected to the carrier which is probably why it?s called Find My iPhone and not Find My iDevice.
  • Reply 185 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Find My iPhone works without GPS, too. It can use the wireless network to gain your location, just like Maps used prior to the iPhone being released with a GPS chip.

There is a potential problem, which is an issue with Apple?s setup. If you are not on WiFi it won?t work unless the device is connected to a known network that requires no password or acceptance page. So, if you have it password protected the person who found/stole your device won?t be able to get it on the network, therefore making it impossible for you locate, send a message or wipe. If you do keep it unlocked there is no other security within MobileMe to prevent the user from turning offer Find My iPhone or simply deleting your MobileMe account from the device altogether.

It?s a piss poor setup for anything not automatically connected to the carrier which is probably why it?s called Find My iPhone and not Find My iDevice.

Wow, I've just checked, and they've added iPod Touch support. They didn't used to allow you to use FMiP at all with the iPod Touch. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 186 of 187
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    So much for DOA.

Galaxy Tab global sales top 600,000 units

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=15628
  • Reply 187 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

So much for DOA.

Galaxy Tab global sales top 600,000 units

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=15628

That bodes well for RiM and other vendors being able to carve out some profitable niche of this new tablet market* that Apple created, but 600k in 30 countries in a month isn’t much of a challenge to Apple at this point. I don’t expect to see anything really competitive until Android 3.0 gets demoed… and I expect RiM’s PlayBook to outsell the Galaxy Tab in its first month.

* By "new tablet market" I am obviously not stating that tablets never existed before the iPad but that Apple changed the way tablets are done, thus making it new. We only have to look at everyone now using mobile OSes redesigned for tablets to see this is true and, yes, Archos has been making tablet-ish devices for awhile but they were better defined as internet-capable PMPs or handhelds and are now just catching up with Samsung with their 10.1” Android 2.2-based device, which is very well priced at a proposed $300. I look forward to a review of the Archos 101 as I think they are best suited for this new area of consumer computing over others that are jumping in with Android to offer tablets.