Windows Phone 7 developers fear platform flop

Comments

• Reply 221 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[Nicholas] Yu described this problem to be significant enough to hold up his investment in adding requested features such as push notifications. "Currently I have no idea how many copies of GoVoice are sold nor did I receive a single paycheck," Yu wrote in his development blog. "Implementing Push is a very risky thing for me because I need to justify that the expenses will cover the maintenance cost of a Push server. If Push is implemented, the expenses are coming straight out of my paycheck, and that is very sensitive to me."

Going to Yu's blog linked above shows another link wherein he denies everything Dan attributed to him, and casts aspersions on Dan's reporting.

I just wonder about how one developer's tale of woe compares to the many other unheard voices.

Just like there are always people who will buy Pontiac Azteks, there are always people who will buy MS.

PS to "bettieblue": Please learn how to quote from other posts. Simply pressing the "reply" button to bring up a quote of the entire post to which you're quoting works fine. You don't need to then put a phrase from the quote between a pair of quotation marks, essentially repeating your earlier quote. It's not needed. If you wish to split an earlier post into several discrete quoted passages, there's an easy way of doing that by adding your own HTML. This is a serious suggestion and not meant as flame bait.
  • Reply 222 of 291
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, there was a story on Wired about WP7's development. They basically scrapped the entire design team and started fresh. It was the right thing to do. But yes, this is just the beginning for Microsoft. I expect them to keep releasing new features until they catch up with Android.

OTOH Microsoft, by all reports, has a fairly Byzantine internal development structure that may hamper roll-out of features. After all, before you can release the feature you have to agree what it should be, how it should work, what else it needs to work with, etc.

There have been recent changes at the top, with the loss of key Entertainment and Devices personnel. Who's running the Phone program? Do they have a free hand to innovate? Can anyone in the Windows division slow or stop any particular functionality? Are the Xbox, Zune and phone people all on the same page now? Are they the same people?

For instance, phone/tablet synergies are likely to be a strategic advantage for iOS/Android. Can the phone people make a WP7 tablet? More importantly, will they be allowed to, given Microsoft's Windows-centric biases?

These are problems unique to MS-- having to juggle legacy technologies and processes, not just in released products, but in the entire product development process. There's nothing comparable to those kind of roadblocks at Apple, which is why the entire product matrix always proceeds with a reasonable amount of integration and interoperability. I think the jury is out on whether or not MS can do that, and I think when it comes to handheld mobile not being able to do that is a pretty big liability.
  • Reply 223 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Droo View Post

Dispassionate is the word he meant, I'll bet. It means without passion, therefore not extremely anything.

Thanks for playing, but not quite right. Others were kind enough to quote the dictionary without understanding it, so you can go look it up too. Dispassionate is not just lacking passion, but refers to the ability to appraise something without biasing passion. As I've mentioned before, dispassionate can be extremely positive, extremely negative, extremely neither. As long as a review is grounded in fact, rather than enthusiasm (positive or negative), it is dispassionate. If I said that a UI was smooth, responsive, and intuitive for most users, that could be a dispassionate observation, even though it is also rather positive.

The point is that the judgment is not swayed by one's passion. He used ?dispassionate? to say how underwhelmed the reviewers were, not how free from biasing passion they were...
  • Reply 224 of 291
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just to throw in my two cents, it's similar to the difference between "disinterested" and "uninterested", meaning "impartial" and "not having any interest", respectively.

Presumably the intended meaning was something like "unpassionate", although that, unfortunately, is not actually a word.
  • Reply 225 of 291
    I really enjoyed reading this article. Thanks AppleInsider. You have truly made my evening.
  • Reply 226 of 291
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple fans should actually want WP7 to succeed as it caps how quickly Android can grow. It provides a second option for companies like HTC to use, effectively splitting the market currently owned by Android phones.

It's difficult for Apple as a single manufacturer to ship a majority of phone in a market as large as the smartphone market. If Android is the only OS that third party manufacturers use, its market share will get quite large.

Now I don't consider a marketshare to a big deal unless it impacts your developer support, but I grow tired of Android fanboys spouting numbers like they are the most important thing in the world. Somehow they believe that it's a great accomplishment that a free OS that is installed on many manufacturers phones can collectively outsell one phone model manufactured by a single company. Great accomplishment or not, it would be great to see them served some humble pie. Having WP7 weaken manufacturer and as a result, consumer support of Android would do just that.

In terms of "winning" marketshare, the more players the better for Apple as it becomes more difficult for any one platform to become dominant and easier for a single manufacturer like Apple to claim the largest piece of the pie. If there are two players, they need greater than 50%, if there are three players, they need greater than 33% (assuming the other two are equal to each other), if there are four players, they only need 25%, etc. At the end of the day though, OS marketshare means very little and everyone puts too much stock in it. OSX does just fine at sub 10% numbers.

We already know the OS scenario. There is main stream, Apple and open source. It has been and it will be. For a bunch of very important reasons such as compatibility, familiarity, ease of application development for a single(or two) platform and the list goes on and on. Simply there are things that meant to be a monopoly such as OS.

Now with smartphones the main stream is open source with Android. I predict Android to dominate the market with apple dominating its own Apple segment of the market (who else?=) ).

Possibly Nokia with MeGo will be on par with Apple dominating its own segment with Apple like hardware&software in house. It certainly has no chance of holding onto the current Symbian market share. It will eventually have to go with adopting Android or Limiting its smartphone hardware choice significantly to only a few very high class MeGo phones with one for every price point.

Also some sort of ubuntu mobile flavour is possible. Developed by hardcore linux users for hardcore linux lovers.
  • Reply 227 of 291
    Quote:

Possibly some ubuntu mobile os in the future developed by hard core linux users for hard core linux users.

That would be awesome! But I take issue with the notion that Ubuntu is for 'hard core' linux users.
  • Reply 228 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just to throw in my two cents, it's similar to the difference between "disinterested" and "uninterested", meaning "impartial" and "not having any interest", respectively.

Presumably the intended meaning was something like "unpassionate", although that, unfortunately, is not actually a word.

I think a couple alternatives would have been more to the point: lukewarm or tepid.
  • Reply 229 of 291
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    "That would be awesome! But I take issue with the notion that Ubuntu is for 'hard core' linux users."

It may be on smartphone or at least i believe running command line on one is way beyond hardcore.
  • Reply 230 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The best bet for the meaning intended in the article would be unenthusiastic, which fits the context quite well. But it is certain he didn't mean to say that the reviewers were unbiased, objective, or unswayed by emotion.

Disinterested actually is a pretty good synonym for dispassionate and may help those who just don?t understand the meaning of the word to get it. But now I'll get someone who doesn?t understand the word telling me to look up disinterested in the dictionary?
  • Reply 231 of 291
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    looking at today's Nielsen survey, between 5% and 7% of those surveyed plan or desire to buy a new Windows phone (i guessed 5% below). which pretty much tells what's going to happen to it: MS' new "hobby."
  • Reply 232 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

looking at today's Nielsen survey, between 5% and 7% of those surveyed plan or desire to buy a new Windows phone (i guessed 5% below). which pretty much tells what's going to happen to it: MS' new "hobby."

Congrats for drawing conclusions based upon a two month old survey. One which was taken before the phone was even released. Why don?t you do the same thing; find a survey which showed the interest for the iPhone 2 months before the first version was released?
  • Reply 233 of 291
    Since the second developer pretty much retracted his story (or was heavily miss quoted by the Apple FUD machine), please change the title to "Windows Phone 7 developer fear platform flop".

That's one out of 15,000. That?s some pretty impressive stats.
  • Reply 234 of 291
    Quote:

Windows 7 Phone launched a 500 million U.S. dollar advertising campaign last month to sell carpets are estimated at tens of thousands. In the UK, has opened a launch event for the Orange line only two people. heads of damage control later suggested that Orange had "sold" WP7 statement without suggesting how many units actually involved.

How is the US ad campaign related to sales in the UK? Not sure I understand the context.
  • Reply 235 of 291

Today, Microsoft announced a new promotion for the holiday season:

BYKGYWP (pronounced BuggyWhip), the Acronym Stands for:

Buy Your Kinect, Get Your Windows Phone7

• Reply 236 of 291
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

If it is truly a clean-sheet design - which would have been the right thing to do, though I disagree that's the "easiest path" - why imply it's version 7... of anything?

Because it sells better than calling it Windows Phone Vista

Because Microsoft Corporate are sleazy marketeers who think that by choosing such a name it will benefit from largely positive reviews of Windows 7 by some sort of Halo effect. Thus Zune was chosen as a name during the period that Microsoft had Windows Vista as its flagship.
  • Reply 237 of 291
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twospoons View Post

Congrats for drawing conclusions based upon a two month old survey. One which was taken before the phone was even released. Why don?t you do the same thing; find a survey which showed the interest for the iPhone 2 months before the first version was released?

that's a fair point. maybe MS' reported $400 million WP7 marketing program will push that share up. if they sell 10 million like Apple did in iPhone year 1, that would amount to $40 per WP7 phone of advertising. Ifixit always leaves advertising out of its product cost analyses.
  • Reply 238 of 291
    When MS released WP7, their employees held a funeral themed party with iPhone and Blackberry signs!

First thing I thought was, don't get ahead of yourselves guys because this WP7 will end up in the grave faster than Windows Mobile did.

I was right.
  • Reply 239 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

When MS released WP7, their employees held a funeral themed party with iPhone and Blackberry signs!

First thing I thought was, don't get ahead of yourselves guys because this WP7 will end up in the grave faster than Windows Mobile did.

I was right.

So you think Microsoft will get a decade of reasonable market share before they have to rewrite WP7 and start fresh?

That's actually pretty good.
  • Reply 240 of 291
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It strikes me as highly unlikely that MS would abandon WP7 anytime in the next couple years. That means it should have time to mature and the time to catch up to Android and iOS feature wise isn't going to be all that long. Probably 6 months or so.

One key device enhancement I see in 2011 is a hardware spec for WP7 gaming phones with DPad to compete with the PSP phone. The PSP phone is probably the only Android phone I would consider buying at this point.

I'm still hoping that Apple provides a common d-pad spec for iOS and native API access but I'm not holding my breath on that one.