Verizon rumored to launch LTE 4G capable Apple iPhone after Christmas

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Apple security at work -a planted rumour to weed out some 'undesirables' .
  • Reply 42 of 94
    I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't already be making an LTE phone, but this part made my BS detector go off the scale ...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "Verizon agreed to take 100% responsibility for security, so all the devices will be in their hands until the official announcement date, and they will then distribute thru channels in massive manner ...

There is not only no reason to give all the iPhones to Verizon ahead of time, it just makes no sense. It also doesn't sound remotely like anything Apple would ever do without a gun being put to it's head.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Melgross, if you firmly believe this, you can always invest in options with a strategy that makes money if it goes up or down (but loses money if it stays in the same place).

Or you could sell half, and that way, no matter what happens, you will not take a huge hit. Short term fluctuations should not bother you. If they do, you need to diversify further. Sell some, but not all.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

<Yawn>

Wake me up if it ever happens. Until then, these rumors are boring.

Then don't click on these links.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

And besides, I'm locked in to ATT for the duration, I already get service which is comparable to Verizon, and so who the heck cares?

Everybody in the US that doesn't get service comparable to Verizon, which is to say most of the country.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    This "report" is bollocks.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Like I have said about the last 20-30 iPhone to Verizon rumors: I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    the real reason for the Apple facility in North Carolina is so that Apple can install a transceiver big enough to cover half the county - with the other one going into the former HP buildings in California - and the iPhone 5 will be 5G service with 100Mbps down and 25Mbps upstream - and will only support the iPhone 5 - and will require a $100 a month data plan. yeah, that's the ticket. And more thing, Steve is going to marry Morgan Fairchild, yeah.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    So, when I leave Verizon's small LTE footprint and have to fallback to the CDMA, do I lose my voice or data session (since CDMA cannot concurrently support both)? CDMA is already bad enough.....way too slow.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Well seeing how Apple tends to wait till networks mature, I don't see the iPhone being LTE enable. But I could see it being hspa+ since 80% of AT&T network has been upgraded to hspa+.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    Here's my take. When Apple rumors come out a lot of people like to say what Apple won't do because of a certain way that they've done things in the past. My view of Apple is a company that one, definitely puts the customer experience first, but two, is not afraid to do things outside of the box. Remember when the leaked pictures of the iP4 came out and everybody was like "that's totally not even Apple's style!" Two months later that phone was released. All I'm saying is that it does seem far fetched but I really don't think that it should be ruled out simply because it seems 'un-apple-like'. After All when it comes to the way apple changes things, Who can truly define the term?
  • Reply 51 of 94
    Verizon's LTE is just a bump up from ATT's Current HSPA+ network. So don't switch to Verizon 4G (or sprint WiMax) if you seek more than 2 X speed.

Switch to Verizon's network if and only if (and when) their 4G network seamless transitions to their 3G CDMA network.

Otherwise, just keep praying that ATT builds more backhaul for their data and voice as they build out their 3G network for the next year.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, when I leave Verizon's small LTE footprint and have to fallback to the CDMA, do I lose my voice or data session (since CDMA cannot concurrently support both)? CDMA is already bad enough.....way too slow.

I believe that LTE is only for their data ? meaning no internal VoIP when on LTE ? which means that CDMA will still be used for voice for the foreseeable future.

There were rumours that Verizon was working to add a retrofit solution of simultaneous voice and data to their EV-DO Rev. A, which may or may not be an offering to Apple to get the iPhone. Even if they offer this rumoured solution it would still be doing voice over CDMA or CDMA2000, not LTE.

At least, that?s what I recall from the reports.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ten points is nothing at its current price of $325. I would be surprised to see a 5% change just in an official announcement from Apple. Apple's longterm growth and performance, even without a CDMA-based iPhone is enough for me to maintain my shares.

It's a lot when you've got a fair amount of stock.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a lot when you've got a fair amount of stock.

Oh, I don’t doubt there can be a significant change in one’s valuation, but 10 points can be achieved by someone sneezing wrong at the Tokyo Exchange. Note how much its changed in just the last year. I think a Verizon iPhone will affect the stock in a much more significant way.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I don't think they're simple either, and I design trading systems for a living, but if you have firm convictions about the stock moving within a given timeframe, they're a lot more lucrative than equities.

I've bought options. I've done holds and puts, and all the rest of that. I've found that over the long run, if you've done your homework, you can do better by just buying and selling. I leave the rest to those who are interested in making micro profits on a regular basis, usually large firms who can get in and out in a millisecond, or who are using Forox systems. The rest is as much guessing as anything else. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When do you buy the option for, and for how much? That can be much more difficult than just buying and holding - if you've got the right stock. My last major buy in was in mid 2004. I bought some more when it dropped to $80, which made my wife frantic, as she was sure we would lose everything. But i've got enough stock that a ten point error could cost a lot. It's just better to hold if you've got the confidence. If you don't, then maybe it's a bad all around.

In the short term, the market is irrational. But in the long term, no.
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

since when is 4G only a solid 5-12 Mbps?

If CDMA is Verizon?s 2nd Generation or ?2G? network, and CDMA2000 (EV-DO) is their ?3G? network, LTE is their ?4G? network. The iPhone 4 is Apple?s ?4G? iPhone.

The notion that you can?t call anything a generic and abbreviated 4th generation of anything is silly and pedantic. I don?t think the ITU ratified their definition of ?4G? to refer to data rates between 100Mbps and 1Gbps until just a few months ago, and even if they had done it years ago there is no law that forces carriers and vendors to only refer to one organization?s definition of ?generation?.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oh, I don?t don?t there can be a significant change in one?s valuation, but 10 points can be achieved by someone sneezing wrong at the Tokyo Exchange. Note how much its changed in just the last year. I think a Verizon iPhone will affect the stock in a much more significant way.

actually as alluded earlier, a CDMA phone would tap a huge Chinese market, as well as entre' into Verizon... especially with a LTE data link. I see an iPhone 4+ being just that phone

As for Stock valuation... The key item in the queue is the iPad 2. Like the iPhone 3G and the iPod 2G (really, with ITMS integration), it's the Gen 2 devices that really

Personally, the iPhone 4,5,6 are all just leveraging the AppStore release that roughly paralleled the Iphone 3G.

the iPad2, will define

- iOS 5

- the next quantum of iPhone (5? 6?) and the next iPod Touch

- and set up for the next great revenue stream (whatever that is) that will need to be in place by 2012 (to replace the iPod and/or the MacBook).
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't already be making an LTE phone, but this part made my BS detector go off the scale ... There is not only no reason to give all the iPhones to Verizon ahead of time, it just makes no sense. It also doesn't sound remotely like anything Apple would ever do without a gun being put to it's head.

Let's say that this report is true for the purpose of argument. That doesn't mean that all the details would have to be. It doesn't mean that the person reporting it got all of them correct. It's very possible that most of it is correct. I would imagine that if this was being done in such a way so as to not damage AT&T's sales this month, which would be reasonable to imagine, as that would also damage Apple's sales, that Verizon would be building up stocks quietly. Then the announcement could be done, and the phones could go on sale quickly.

But of course, there would need to be a training period for Verizon employees first, unless, and very unlikely, Apple employees would be on hand for the first week or so. Then what about store displays? Billing system changes? It's all possible, but difficult. How would they get the phones to the stores without something fishy being seen? Even if they came in unmarked crates, or something that looked innocuous, that alone would make people wonder, considering the rumors.

What about FCC testing?

I give it a 50 50 shot.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Here's my take. When Apple rumors come out a lot of people like to say what Apple won't do because of a certain way that they've done things in the past. My view of Apple is a company that one, definitely puts the customer experience first, but two, is not afraid to do things outside of the box. Remember when the leaked pictures of the iP4 came out and everybody was like "that's totally not even Apple's style!" Two months later that phone was released. All I'm saying is that it does seem far fetched but I really don't think that it should be ruled out simply because it seems 'un-apple-like'. After All when it comes to the way apple changes things, Who can truly define the term?

That's very true. After the last Nano, who would have expected the new one? Likely no one. And we heard NOTHING about that massive change until it came out.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

actually as alluded earlier, a CDMA phone would tap a huge Chinese market, as well as entre' into Verizon... especially with a LTE data link. I see an iPhone 4+ being just that phone.

The Chinese CDMA market is less than half the CDMA subscriber base in the US, and likely with a lot less current subs able to but the iPhone. China?s biggest ?2G? base is GSM encompassing almost ¾ of a BILLION current cellphone users, and their largest carrier using a GSM/TD-SCDMA which will require special HW for ?3G?. TD-SCDMA is closer to the W-CDMA used in the iPhone, it is not the CDMA of Verizon, Sprint and China Telecom.