Verizon rumored to launch LTE 4G capable Apple iPhone after Christmas

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is absurd.

There is only one big market that is actively deploying LTE: the USA. While many other countries/regions (Europe, Asia) have committed to LTE, those buildouts will occur in 2012. Everyone right now is focused on HSPA+ deployment. An LTE handset at this time would only work in one market and based on Apple's history, it seems more likely that Apple would release HSPA+ handsets for two years before perhaps releasing an LTE handset in 2013.

THis is patently not true. There are already commercial LTE networks available in several European countries. You can actually buy a LTE dongle in a couple of Scandanavian countries and use it, albeit in a limited area. You have to have a seperate GSM/UMTS dognle for when you go out of coverage as they aren't dual standard.

This is much further than the US has gotten.

Onto the main story though - I call bumpkiss. Apple are supposedly going to launch a handset with 2 radio standards its unfamiliar with, when one of them isn't going to have a serious footprint for at least another year? Thus would be the first LTE and 2/3G device period, and first LTE phone I've heard of being made available.

Its just hard to believe
  • Reply 82 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

I am not sure that is accurate. Sure, some other countries started with releasing LTE before Verizon, but as of December 5th Verizon has, I believe, LTE in 38 cities across the US. What other country or carrier has LTE in that many cities?

And these aren?t small cities. I don?t know how widespread they are within a city or what data rates they offering compared to other countries and carriers, but that all depends on how you define ?further?.
  • Reply 83 of 94
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

THis is patently not true. There are already commercial LTE networks available in several European countries. You can actually buy a LTE dongle in a couple of Scandanavian countries and use it, albeit in a limited area. You have to have a seperate GSM/UMTS dognle for when you go out of coverage as they aren't dual standard.

Onto the main story though - I call bumpkiss. Apple are supposedly going to launch a handset with 2 radio standards its unfamiliar with, when one of them isn't going to have a serious footprint for at least another year? Thus would be the first LTE and 2/3G device period, and first LTE phone I've heard of being made available.

Its just hard to believe

They are also countries in which if a carrier deploys LTE in their capital city --- they cover 1/4-1/3 of their entire country's population. And these are not even large cities, these are cities with about 1-2 million population.

That's it --- they cover a couple of million people in a smallish size city, they statistically cover 1/3 of their country's population and suddenly they are the top of international LTE deployment.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    finally, a rumor about the iPhone on Verizon!
  • Reply 85 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

finally, a rumor about the iPhone on Verizon!

• Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:

Its just hard to believe

I hear ya, but to be devils advocate, someone has to be first LTE on verizon. Does Samsung or LG have all that much more experience that Apple could not be the first? Let's just say it would be a heck of a surprise.

As an aside, are the new radio chipsets usually announced before the phone?
  • Reply 87 of 94
    CES 2011 in January or Mac World Expo will most likely be the time of announcement. So the real story is only days off....................Stay tuned.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    There will be a separate event on Apple's home turf in classic Stevenote style. I am betting on iPad two and Verizon iPhone reveal on the same day at the same event.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Monday's latest report, the source claimed that the new iPhone will be announced after Christmas, as the current exclusive carrier of Apple's smartphone, AT&T, reportedly had a "final demand" to maximize holiday sales.

The rumor is already compromising AT&T's holiday sales. Is it not hard to believe VZW's meant anything bigger? They --- through mouths of paid bullshitters --- cried wolf so many times in the past...
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I hear ya, but to be devils advocate, someone has to be first LTE on verizon. Does Samsung or LG have all that much more experience that Apple could not be the first?

Let's just say it would be a heck of a surprise.

I think the smart money has got to be on those companies that have an arm or joint venture making the network infrastructure - they've got the internal skills, abilities, and patent clearance. Nokia/Siemens, SonyErricson, Huiweii - not the handset-only companies.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    From what I've been reading, there are not too many surprises in regards to this article. Electronista's article about how the CDMA iPhone is in its' final stages confirm it. http://www.electronista.com/articles...esting.stages/. This article, as well as this one from AppleInsider helps confirm that there will be more than likely 2 iPhones released in 2011 as the one in January is in the "AP stage", and the one due more than likely in WWDC is in "EVT phase". The release date for it to be sold is within the range of most rumors; what does surprise me is that Apple is counting on Verizon to keep a tight lip about having it already in their back rooms. I can see Steve Jobs being upset as in being bummed that the iPhone 5 due in WWDC can't be really called a LTE only especially with AT&T and T-Mobile not making any announcements about transitioning to LTE anytime that soon. One thing that may surprise everyone is that the Qualcomm dual mode chip that is going to be used is LTE with CDMA backbup for voice, as well as support for GSM - therefore a "world phone". This AppleInsider article from Nov. 2009 helps support that: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ly_iphone.html.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That would really, really suck. No way they could do this, not in the face of Android's current success.

Verizon has always been behind with phones. It's quintessential for them to have last years model (3GS or iPhone 4), while AT&T will get the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Here's my take. When Apple rumors come out a lot of people like to say what Apple won't do because of a certain way that they've done things in the past. My view of Apple is a company that one, definitely puts the customer experience first, but two, is not afraid to do things outside of the box. Remember when the leaked pictures of the iP4 came out and everybody was like "that's totally not even Apple's style!" Two months later that phone was released. All I'm saying is that it does seem far fetched but I really don't think that it should be ruled out simply because it seems 'un-apple-like'. After All when it comes to the way apple changes things, Who can truly define the term?

Bingo!Winner,winner,,chicken dinner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe it when I see Steve Jobs on stage in front of a Verizon logo or when I'm holding one in my hand, whichever comes first.

It's people pushing up stock prices otherwise.

Does the 4th week of January give you enough time to make plans to attend?

Had one in my hand last week.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohboy View Post

Does the 4th week of January give you enough time to make plans to attend?

Give me a date. Exact. Date. If you're right in a month and a half, you'll gain credibility. I'd go so far as to say you're an abject liar, however.

Quote:

Had one in my hand last week.

SO many things I can insinuate with this, particularly since no human on the planet would be expected to believe you.