Google TV hardware delayed as the Apple TV competitor struggles - NYT

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

As Apple knows and Google is learning, TV is a hard nut to crack due to the technical/legal obstacles raised both by the content owners and the cable companies. I think the public would be well served by some anti-trust scrutiny applied to these colluding incumbents that are stifling innovation and hurting consumers.

I wish there was a way to have just a fiber pipe into a home without the associated cable tv account. That way I could choose which provider to use rather than be stuck with the single cable company that services that neighborhood. If the city gives you no choice then cable service needs to be regulated like other utilities. BTW I should mention I hate TWC. They have somewhere around 80% average uptime rate in my location plus the prices are ridiculous.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

while the XBOX and PS3 offer more video formats and more Internet content).

BBC i-player was a big draw for me when i bought my son a new PS3 after his old one gave up the ghost. I'd love to see an i-player app on the ATV.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Google sells, I mean gives away, junk. Then they have their employees flood apple forums to tell how great the stuff is because it's 'open'.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

BBC i-player was a big draw for me when i bought my son a new PS3 after his old one gave up the ghost. I'd love to see an i-player app on the ATV.

I think it's only a matter of time before there's an app store for the new AppleTV. Certainly there will be apps for a jailbroken ATV soon enough, and if the hardware is capable of streaming at least 720p MKV files, I'll be replacing my 1st gen straight away (I currently have a WDTV Live next to the TV which I use for streaming my non-iTunes HD content, but would love to integrate everything back into a single device, but the 1st Gen TV will not play anything other than very strictly-encoded h.264 files over 480p)
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The usual Google "release a crappy product then fix it later" way..

Yep, same as MS!
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Google sells, I mean gives away, junk. Then they have their employees flood apple forums to tell how great the stuff is because it's 'open'.

It's funny how the attitude toward Google seems to have changed over the last few years. They were seen as the web-savior for a long time, giving us a better search engine than Yahoo and putting AltaVista out of business quite quickly, not to mention ensuring YouTube was still free, giving us GoogleDocs, and bringing the power (almost) of iPhoto to the PC world by giving away Picassa. G-Mail has ruled since giving us a much better webmail alternative to Hotmail and Yahoo... Now that Google has grown huge, we all complain about privacy concerns (not that I don't think that's a very valid worry) and about what crap they put out (I think Android looks kinda compelling, TBH, even if it's not nearly as refined as iOS).

As Apple grows, I wonder how long until we're all screaming about the control they have over our devices...

(Stourque, this is in no way an attack on your post nor against you btw, I'm just stating a general observation)
  • Reply 27 of 63
    in case people miss this.

GOOGLE TV = FLOP

GOOGLE = ONE TRICK PONY
  • Reply 28 of 63
    I just can't see myself ever wanting to interract with my TV using a keyboard. The TV is there for me to consume and consume only. The whole interactive element just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to the TV, as I see it as a method of pure escapism. Plus, I like my living room to look nice and in my opinion, something with loads of buttons and flashing lights might have looked good in the 80's, but these days it just looks crappy!

That's what I like about the way Apple have done things. I sort stuff out on the computer, then when I'm at the TV the Apple TV allows me to access things easily. I'm the same with Netflix - I sort out my queue on the computer, then it's just a couple of button presses on the PS3 to get what I want playing.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, same as MS!

Well, their argument isn't so much that they're open (even though I think MS is far, far from open), it's that "we have more software options for our platform than they do (just please ignore that 90% of what's out there is rubbish)..."
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I am pretty sure Apple has not promoted it from hobby status anymore. Jobs took great pains to explain how this space has still not been figured out, during the unveiling of the new Apple TV.

Yep. He lamented on it being a "go to market" problem with regional cable companies and the old school Networks not to mention the Movie industry.

Apple did too good a job "organizing" the Music industry and the Movie/television industries are too scared to embrace Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

It's funny how the attitude toward Google seems to have changed over the last few years. They were seen as the web-savior for a long time, giving us a better search engine than Yahoo and putting AltaVista out of business quite quickly, not to mention ensuring YouTube was still free, giving us GoogleDocs, and bringing the power (almost) of iPhoto to the PC world by giving away Picassa. G-Mail has ruled since giving us a much better webmail alternative to Hotmail and Yahoo... Now that Google has grown huge, we all complain about privacy concerns (not that I don't think that's a very valid worry) and about what crap they put out (I think Android looks kinda compelling, TBH, even if it's not nearly as refined as iOS).

As Apple grows, I wonder how long until we're all screaming about the control they have over our devices...

(Stourque, this is in no way an attack on your post nor against you btw, I'm just stating a general observation)

You forgot stole people data with Google streer and drive-by. Scanned books without permission. Leave code on GoogleTV for people to hack into network content etc. Etc.

And as for Apple, like they are not painted into a control freak enough.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

You forgot stole people data with Google streer and drive-by. Scanned book without permission. Leave code on GoogleTV for people to hack into network content etc. Etc.

And as for Apple, like they are not painted into a control freak enough.

You forgot the part where Google, the defender of freedom and free speech, censored Search results in China for 4 years for MONEY.

oh btw, they're STILL currently censoring search results in 28 other countries.

If you?re going to take a stance GOOGLE, don?t pussyfoot around it.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/19/google-censorship/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I am pretty sure Apple has not promoted it from hobby status anymore. Jobs took great pains to explain how this space has still not been figured out, during the unveiling of the new Apple TV.

I'm Pretty Amazed Some People Like You Absolutely " UNDERESTIMATE " The Value of Apple TV!!!!!!

I Suppose You NEVER HAVE EXPERIENCED The Amazing Tricks of " AirPlay " at All in Person.

As I Reiterated, Since Its Launch Here in Japan One Month Ago, Apple TV HAS MADE Unpredicted SENSATION and NOW HAS BECOME No.1 Christmas Present Candidate Between Friends (For More Intimate Ones, Mac Book Air and i-Pad ARE THE ONES!).

Because Apple TV Has Launched Still Only In Limited Countries in The World, People EVEN Don'T Know What IT'S Like and CAN NOT Assess That Properly.

So, If You Haven't Experience Apple TV Directly in Person At Home Especially " AirPlay " by i-OS Devices, Stop Your Argument on Apple TV!

You're NOT ENTITLED To.

But Once You've Got That " Magically Agile Futuristic Experience " Out Of Apple TV, You NEVER CAN GO BACK TO Other Devices Such As PS3 and Google TV and/or Other Services Like ActVila in JAPAN.

WHY?

Because, THEY'RE All TOO CUMBERSOME TO HANDLE in Process Compared To Apple TV!!!!!!

Even Google TV Personally Imported From U.S. Have Been Assessed By Techies HERE, But THEY " UNANIMOUSLY " Iterated, " TOO SLOW, TOO CUMBERSOME "!!!!!!!!

Differently It is Said that Apple TV 2 Consists of i-OS Like Operating System and Same A4 Chips As in i-Phone and i-Pad.

So You Can Exercise Same " Seamless, Flawless and Effortless " Conducts of Movement on Apple TV Through i-OS Devices' AirPlay Such As " Flick ", " Swype ", " Pinch-In ", " Pinch-Out " etc.

IT'S A Sort Of " INCOGNITO " Experience for Ordinary People and A LOT OF FUN Not Only For Children But Matured Adults!!!!!!!!

Just Take A Instance of Watching Contents of YouTube Have You Thoroughly and Easily Understand How Different and Comfortable Experience Apple TV Brings About to You!!!!!!

When IT Comes To Cinema Purchase and Renting, Finally, Yeahhh, Finally THAT " Sony Pictures " Announced that They Would Provide i-Tunes Store With Their Abundant Motion Pictures Assets A Couple Days Ago To Our Big Surprise and Are Already Delivering Popular Contents Such As " Salt " Here in JAPAN.

All The More, Apple TV's Value HAS INCREASED HERE in JAPAN!!!!!!!!!

I'm Sure THIS DEVICE Is Going To Make " BLOCKBUSTER " Sales Not Only HERE in JAPAN But ALL OVER The WORLD!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I doubt very much that TV executives (i.e., Hollywood) went begging to Steve to be a part of his insular, 99-cent world.

Probbably not, but he was talking about manufacturers, not content content executives.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    I love love love my Apple TV!

compare the remote controls for both products (Apple & Google) GOOGLE SUCKS!

Apple TV Remote control / iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch remote control APP

Google TV Remote control

• Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HIMOKO View Post

I'm Pretty Amazed Some People Like You Absolutely " UNDERESTIMATE " The Value of Apple TV!!!!!!

I Suppose You NEVER HAVE EXPERIENCED The Amazing Tricks of " AirPlay " at All in Person.

As I Reiterated, Since Its Launch Here in Japan One Month Ago, Apple TV HAS MADE Unpredicted SENSATION and NOW HAS BECOME No.1 Christmas Present Candidate Between Friends (For More Intimate Ones, Mac Book Air and i-Pad ARE THE ONES!).

Because Apple TV Has Launched Still Only In Limited Countries in The World, People EVEN Don'T Know What IT'S Like and CAN NOT Assess That Properly.

So, If You Haven't Experience Apple TV Directly in Person At Home Especially " AirPlay " by i-OS Devices, Stop Your Argument on Apple TV!

If you don't have an AppleTV 2, but have an Intel Mac, but you can approximate AirPlay by streaming from an iPad or iPhone to the Mac.

Erica Sadun has written an experimental Mac app called AirPlayer:

Introducing AirPlayer: Mac-based AirPlay service allows device-to-Mac playback

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/14/hacks...to-mac-playba/
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

I think Google has lost their focus. When there were just a search engine they were awesome. Even when they started creating applications, they made things better. Somewhere along the way, they stopped caring about what they produced and just wanted to be everything to everybody. The search engine isn't even independent any more. The results are a function of how much money someone pays them. I feel like they have broken the trust I used to have. They are more and more like Microsoft every day.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HIMOKO View Post

I'm Sure THIS DEVICE Is Going To Make " BLOCKBUSTER " Sales Not Only HERE in JAPAN But ALL OVER The WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Apple Advertising Department!
  • Reply 39 of 63
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Has anybody yet figured out why Apple refuses to update the 1st gen AppleTV for NetFlix compatibility besides trying to rope you into buying a new one?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    ATV is a great little media extender that expands your iTunes/iOS ecosystem - if you have one - to your living room TV. at the moment, that is all it does. there is a modest market for this - maybe 5% of US households. no, it's not a "hobby" anymore.

ATV is also a $100 iOS mini-computer with a lot of possibilities - apps, games, etc. we will see how far Apple takes this next year. full integration with the iPad in particular would immediately double its market potential, at least.

but - all STB's are too complicated for 2/3 of consumer households. the cables, the inputs, the settings, universal remotes - truth is, most people just don't get this stuff. that's why the cable companies are smart and send out a "cable guy" to install them - they have too!

so the big market is for the product that gets rid of the STB (and receiver) entirely, and integrates the STB functions seamlessly, like additional channels. the Sony version of Google TV kinda does this, but poorly (Sony couldn't simplify its own butt and Google didn't help).

thus, Apple needs to sell its own brand of HDTV's with ATV built in (and decent speakers). that would be a huge new market for Apple growth, and it would be a big hit. (the cable guy will still hook you up to the wall jack).

Apple already sells quality 27" monitors. it already modified all its display aspect ratios to the HDTV-standard 16:9 in the last two years. so it could launch a 27" Apple Television right now, but of course larger screens are needed for the living room.

so i gotta think Apple Television with ATV built in will be the big new Apple product of 2011.