Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    When you are the pack leader the other dogs will always be trying to take you down. Just ask Cesar Millan.
  • Reply 42 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

'Dual-core' sounds nice, but does a tablet really need it yet? As long as the iPad2 is faster and competes with the competition (there's a bad sentence right there!), I don't think it matters how it achieves it.

World's smallest and lightest space heater.
  • Reply 43 of 133
    I rather like that advert. Good attempt by Motorola.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could be a very real problem as Apple does have a history here of stagnating at just the wrong time. Besides I don't see real competition coming from Android as the platform is a mess. What Apple has to look out for is RIM and Playbook as I see that platform as having great potential if they can mature it fast enough.

I don't know about stagnating at the wrong time (I wasn't an Apple user until the 2000's) but I do agree that good quality competition is good, and I don't think Android is good quality competition for the same reason you list.

Personally I'm interested to see what HP come up with now they own WebOS. I had a play with the Palm Pre and was actually fairly impressed with the OS. I fancy they could do something interesting with a tablet.
  • Reply 44 of 133
    What an arduous frigging teaser!

Will their tablet be as slow to start as the teaser?

Be as beguiling?

And then deliver nothing?
  • Reply 45 of 133
    Folks, its like a one dollar bill with 2 zeros at the end. Does that make it better? Really?
  • Reply 46 of 133
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Yeah it's giant iPhone because iOS is the easiest and friendliest OS out there. Why make something different? Just confuse people.
  • Reply 47 of 133
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

This could be a very real problem as Apple does have a history here of stagnating at just the wrong time. Besides I don't see real competition coming from Android as the platform is a mess. What Apple has to look out for is RIM and Playbook as I see that platform as having great potential if they can mature it fast enough.

In any event I've made the decision to not purchase a tablet until iPad 2 and some of the competition hits the market place. At that point it will be the unit offering the best feature set at the lowest price. IPad 2 will most likely lead the pack but as noted above Apple does have a history of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in such a way that it drives off customers.

Could you be more specific?
  • Reply 48 of 133
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

What an arduous frigging teaser!

Will their tablet be as slow to start as the teaser?

Be as beguiling?

And then deliver nothing?

Well... At least they're not making ridiculous claims of it somehow being 'magical' -
  • Reply 49 of 133
    "From ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic tablets to the modern tablet, we're buzzing with excitement to be the next chapter in tablet evolution," the video's official description reads.

But they weren't in the first chapter.
  • Reply 50 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

"From ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic tablets to the modern tablet, we're buzzing with excitement to be the next chapter in tablet evolution," the video's official description reads.

They'll be lucky to be a footnote.
  • Reply 51 of 133
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Motorola bought BeOS?

:-)

Made me smile.
  • Reply 52 of 133
    It IS a giant iPhone except you can't make phone calls with it.
  • Reply 53 of 133
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    A bigger droid.

Is that a "transformer"?
  • Reply 54 of 133
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Neither was the iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 133
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    It's funny, but a little bit sad as well, to see once great companies Like Motorola being forced to behave so childishly.

Apple has a lot to answer for.

Can't wait for the verdicts to come in on this product. Do they REALLY believe it will be better than iPad v1 ??
  • Reply 56 of 133
    I must admit, I havent seen other tablets, no need, I have my iPad. But the pictures I do see, well, ? they look like iPads.

Maybe the new Motorola device might be triangular or double sided or a cube with 6 display faces ?or, ?or? ?
  • Reply 57 of 133
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

They didn't have Steve Jobs at the helm when they did OS 8. They had Gil Amelio. And anyway, the Apple in 1995 was way different than the Apple in 2010. I doubt that they'll mess up at all. Just try not to buy it when the herds of customers come up and start having waiting lists for the iPad 2

While they won't likely "mess up", they have in recent years made the occassional mis-steps. Because Apple refuses to use focus groups, they sometimes misjudge how consumers will react to their design choices. The buttonless shuffle is a prime example. The difference in today's Apple is they are more likely to correct their mistakes more quickly than in the past, either openly, as Steve Jobs did about the shuffle, or through design changes without admiting they made a mistake, like putting FW back on the MBPs after they took it off because according to Steve nobody needed it anymore.

Quote:

In any event I've made the decision to not purchase a tablet until iPad 2 and some of the competition hits the market place. At that point it will be the unit offering the best feature set at the lowest price. IPad 2 will most likely lead the pack but as noted above Apple does have a history of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in such a way that it drives off customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Could you be more specific?

Apple has a lot of examples of technology that they never really followed through on or done much to advance. FrontRow is a good example of something that got a lot of attention from Steve when it was unveiled, but has seen almost no advances since then. iWeb is another example that is sorely in need of an upgrade. It's as if Apple created it to check a box and then moved on never to revisit it again. iCal is one of the worst calendar UIs I've used, and yet it's seen few updates in the last couple of OS revisions. Sometimes Apple is like a little kid, if it's not shiny with flash or sizzle, they lose interest.

If you want hardware examples, the Mac mini is a good one, at one point waiting around two years before Apple got around to updating it (again, no flash or sizzle, so they didn't give it the needed attention). The original iPod camera connector was horrible, but they didn't even try to improve it until the iPad came along. They had an FM radio/remote that never got any attention from Apple even as people begged for an FM tuner in iPods (not realizing you could add it via the remote accessory).

But to your point, I seriously doubt the iPad will suffer from lack of attention, at least not for a couple more generations, anyway. I'm more concerned with an iPad mis-step, going too far with some design concept, than I am about stagnantation.
  • Reply 58 of 133
    "a giant iPhone", well there's an original response
  • Reply 59 of 133
    Based on what I have observed I am certain that there is no iPad killer coming in the foreseeable future if ever.And should there ever be one it won't be running Android.The problem with Android can be summed up in 3 words.....no standardized hardware.How many different tablets running how many different versions of Android are on the market right now?Apple, on the other hand, currently has 1 tablet running 1 OS. Of course the iPad is the best because Apple has optimized iOS 4.2 for their product and their product only. Android on the other hand cannot be a serious rival until they lay down the law with manufacturers and dictate minimum hardware requirements, standardized for every tablet.I own and am typing this on my brand new Archos 101 running Froyo.While my 101 does some things the iPad can't the iPad wins hands down for build quality , ease of use and functionality.Everything the iPad can do it excels at.My Archos on the other hand is mediocre in nearly every catagory.

RIM has,with the playbook, an opportunity to follow Apples lead in quality and reliability IF they know what is good for them.With their own tablet and OS RIM may be a major player in the coming year.
  • Reply 60 of 133
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the process of evolution there are many cul-de-sacs.