Apple's Steve Jobs could appear onstage at Jan. 11 Verizon event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Lots of nobodies around here mention it all the fraking time. See above.

• Reply 22 of 64
    Regardless of who shows up, someone needs to bring a big laptop plus loud speakers to play the Island of Misfit toys during the announcement.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    This would make it the first time I can see Jobs attend a technology related event outside Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Regardless of who shows up, someone needs to bring a big laptop plus loud speakers to play the Island of Misfit toys during the announcement.

• Reply 25 of 64
    So, help me out here... I thought Apple had a 5-year exclusive agreement with AT&T. How are they able to break that?
  • Reply 26 of 64
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

So, help me out here... I thought Apple had a 5-year exclusive agreement with AT&T. How are they able to break that?

I think it was a three year with a possibility of extending to 5, renewable every year. But I don't know if any official info on this is available. I've read Apple could have dropped exclusivity as early as 2010.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:

Someone broke it at least a year ago. Whether it was Apple with a product or AT&T with not keeping up to their promised service, the original contract is null and void.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) There is no confirmation of how long the current contract is. All we had was Verizon saying Apple came to them first and wanted a 5 year contract, and then last year court documents from the original contract with AT&T stating 5 years.

2) The contract could still be for 5 years. IOW, guaranteed to supply AT&T with iPhones for 5 years, but allow Apple to source new carriers after 4. It might also specify a window in which AT&T gets new iPhone revisions x-many day/months before the other carriers that come on after 4 years.

30 Contracts can be complex. Even if we saw the documents there would be arguments about what is actually be said, believe you me.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

I thought there was a lot of speculation that the contract was renegotiated when they moved to subsidized pricing.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

About as predictably as trollboys such as you.

Nicely said
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.

Whatever keeps you entertained

A Verizon announcement has no interest to me, as I am quite satisfied with AT&T. CDMA? Been there, done that. It's end-of-life technology. If I had my way, all carriers would be full-speed LTE now, and there would be no vendor lock-in, and you could travel the world and your phone would work everywhere. I'd also abolish the two-year contract.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Which is it? Is Verizon's network better, or is it AT&T? Or is it whatever Steve Jobs says it is?

Apple will not pick a winner - they are both capable and valued partners. Part of Jobs' supposed RDF is his acumen for knowing what not to say.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:

After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.

How old are ? Do you call all adults boys ? What allows you to be disrespectful ?

I am a fan of Apple, but I am not a boy, my question to you is. What are you a fan of, obviously not Apple, and how old are you ? If under 18 and a fan of M$ or Androyd, then I have the right to call you <insert here>boy, unless you are a female. So if you continue to call me a Fanboy then I will call you a fangirlie irrespective of your gender, I think that is only fair.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

How old are ? Do you call all adults boys ? What allows you to be disrespectful ?

I am a fan of Apple, but I am not a boy, my question to you is. What are you a fan of, obviously not Apple, and how old are you ? If under 18 and a fan of M$ or Androyd, then I have the right to call you <insert here>boy, unless you are a female. So if you continue to call me a Fanboy then I will call you a fangirlie irrespective of your gender, I think that is only fair.

Well said
  • Reply 35 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Someone broke it at least a year ago. Whether it was Apple with a product or AT&T with not keeping up to their promised service, the original contract is null and void.

Some of you need a lesson in contracts. They usually go in effect immediately. Apple and Cingular signed their exclusivity contract in 2006 and became effective then not in 2007. Some of you might think that's dumb but its not much different in sports. A player gets signed and becomes part of a team months before he plays a single minute. So in 2011 the contract is 5 yrs old and it's ended not null and void.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Some of you need a lesson in contracts. They usually go in effect immediately. Apple and Cingular signed their exclusivity contract in 2006 and became effective then not in 2007. Some of you might think that's dumb but its not much different in sports. A player gets signed and becomes part of a team months before he plays a single minute. So in 2011 the contract is 5 yrs old and it's ended not null and void.

Okay, what does that have to do with what I said? I said nothing about the duration. The contract was changed at some point before the launch of the iPad, so your timing is meaningless.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Apple will not pick a winner - they are both capable and valued partners. Part of Jobs' supposed RDF is his acumen for knowing what not to say.

I liked the part in bold. Very true.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

This would make it the first time I can see Jobs attend a technology related event outside Apple.

Unimaginable. that's why Steve Jobs wouldn't show up. Tim may be?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, what does that have to do with what I said? I said nothing about the duration. The contract was changed at some point before the launch of the iPad, so your timing is meaningless.

How we do know the contract was changed? It could be simply that it expired. I'm sure Apple decided to seek another partner before the contract expired instead of after it and the growth of Android probably expedited that need. Its obvious ATT knew it was coming to a end because they raised the ETF plus allowed anyone who would eligible for an upgrade anytime in 2010 to upgrade early, and now with the Atrix coming out no longer have second rate Android devices.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

ATT... ...raised the ETF...

No, that was illegal cooperation between all the telecoms. Everyone raised their ETFs at the same time, just like they all raise their price for texting at the same time.