Verizon iPhone to attract 9 to 12 million new US users for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think the AT&T fallout will be as big as people think. I do think Verizon will best AT&T in retention and new subscriber numbers this next quarter because of the iPhone. The real movement will be from those that simply couldn?t or wouldn?t move to AT&T will migrate from the lesser carriers to Verizon.

I can only speak to the DC area, but here, Verizon's rep is so good (caused in large part I think by years of underground subway exclusivity) that it's just about as easy to find a Verizon user waiting out Apple as it is to find an actual iPhone user even still today.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    For Verizon, if they want to seriously leech customers from at&t they have to lower their monthly fees, which i don't see them doing anytime soon.

Plus these graphs and some of the comments here are giving the impression that android is losing the smartphone battle, when in fact it is doing incredibly well. Iphone on verizon will definitely help Apple retain and grab some customers, but I disagree that all android customers were iphone customers shunned by exclusivity.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordian89 View Post

Plus these graphs and some of the comments here are giving the impression that android is losing the smartphone battle, when in fact it is doing incredibly well.

two graphs are comparing vendor unit sales on Verizon and one is comparing vendor units sales on Verizon to the Apple, a single vendor, unit sales on AT&T. These graphs aren?t disparaging Android?s OS installations.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You're high if you think Verizon's service is a leap forward. I'm getting rid of it.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're high if you think Verizon's service is a leap forward. I'm getting rid of it.

In some places it is a leap forward compared to AT&T, in many others it is a big step back. If the plans and pricing is the same as today, well, that is definitely NOT a leap forward unless you like being nickel and dimed every month and then socked with overage charges if you ever screw up. Verizon is also a big leap forward if you like a company that will stalk you for a decade or more trying to get you to pay up for their overage charges, even if they were partially their fault.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I don?t think the AT&T fallout will be as big as people think. I do think Verizon will best AT&T in retention and new subscriber numbers this next quarter because of the iPhone. The real movement will be from those that simply couldn?t or wouldn?t move to AT&T will migrate from the lesser carriers to Verizon.

As the article points out (correctly, I think) the main source of new iPhone users will be existing Verizon customers giving up their old "dumb" phones and picking up the iPhone instead of a Droid, not AT&T iPhone users migrating to Verizon or current Verizon Droid phone owners switching to the iPhone. The numbers look a bit on the optimistic side, but not completely unrealistic.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    eyepadeyepad Posts: 39member
    I am happy for folks at Vzw getting the iPhone.

I plan to stay at AT&T myself. Service here is amazing.

Hit 3Mbs down and 1.5Mbs up most of the time as well as 4-5 bars nearly everywhere I go.

I am an Apple fan so more people using Apple products is a plus to me.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i've had minimal trouble with att today im getting 2mb down

i just want a better competitive deal reduce my monthly cost forget the cost of the phone, its the monthly cost that is outrageous

straight talk from walmart is $45 unlimited text talk and data, so you have to buy your own phone, but you also save on all those FEES

sprint boost $50 for unlimited everything so why should we be spending more than 55 or 60 for unlimited everything

also i wonder if vz starts getting complaints about iphone overwhelming their network
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyepad View Post

I am happy for folks at Vzw getting the iPhone.

I plan to stay at AT&T myself. Service here is amazing.

Hit 3Mbs down and 1.5Mbs up most of the time as well as 4-5 bars nearly everywhere I go.

I am an Apple fan so more people using Apple products is a plus to me.

Ding ding ding. Same here. I wouldn't say amazing though. More like solid IMHO.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Whatever makes my shares of Apple stock go up, I'm fine with it.

Verizon's data plans similar to AT&T for now. It will only be until after the two sides have plateaued regarding sales, that is when the fight to have the better plan to attract the table scraps of remaining potential customers by incentivizing with a one-upmanship begins, to the benefit of all of us.

Your tag line is offensive and inapproriate for this forum.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

I'll be staying with AT&T. Aside from some connectivity issues last summer, my service with them has been trouble-free. Plus I like the rollover minutes. If there is a large exodus from the carrier to VZ, that might not be a bad thing as far as giving the network some breathing room. I won't be among them though.

Verizon may get a lot of AT&T like dings if they add millions of iPhone users with unlimited data plans. I look forward to the comeptition but am not rushing to ditch AT&T.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

You should read the boards more. I have seen estimates of up to 6 million subscribers that Verizon would take from AT&T. We'll see if it will be that high, but that is about a 3rd of AT&T's current iPhone user base. That will hurt.

PS - AT&T sucks in more places than NY and San Fran. Try Phoenix.

so you should see huge iphone sales numbers the first month or two since they need a new iPhone

what about a new iphone for both att and vz,

or upgraded iphone 4 for att at same time
  • Reply 33 of 70
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdview View Post

Your tag line is offensive and inapproriate for this forum.

Not sure what side of THAT particular issue RotNApple is even on, but I think it's inappropriate for anyone with one total post, ever, to make that his or her second post. (Edit: First post)
  • Reply 34 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Whatever makes my shares of Apple stock go up, I'm fine with it.

Verizon's data plans similar to AT&T for now. It will only be until after the two sides have plateaued regarding sales, that is when the fight to have the better plan to attract the table scraps of remaining potential customers by incentivizing with a one-upmanship begins, to the benefit of all of us.

I am hoping we see 375 by Easter ... here's hoping
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

I'll be staying with AT&T. Aside from some connectivity issues last summer, my service with them has been trouble-free. Plus I like the rollover minutes. If there is a large exodus from the carrier to VZ, that might not be a bad thing as far as giving the network some breathing room. I won't be among them though.

I had Verizon before. Their customer service was terrible. I felt ripped-off very often. I like AT&T's customer service. They are quick to give you credit for charges that you feel are unwarranted. I like the roll-over minutes too. You don't have to worry about overages. And, the $15 limited data plan is perfect for the 2 iPhones we have on the Family Plan. I have not had much of a problem with connectivity either.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

That just seems like poor business. Are they trying to go under?

I don’t think the AT&T fallout will be as big as people think. I do think Verizon will best AT&T in retention and new subscriber numbers this next quarter because of the iPhone. The real movement will be from those that simply couldn’t or wouldn’t move to AT&T will migrate from the lesser carriers to Verizon.

Not wishing to sound like I am repeating myself but the losses from AT&T could be significant if all the FiOS users are offered a special bundle deal. I am not convinced I will change but I will take a look.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am hoping we see 375 by Easter ... here's hoping

Easter? How about by the Verizon iPhone launch day?
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Easter? How about by the Verizon iPhone launch day?

Ok you can twist my arm OMG maybe I should buy more tomorrow.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

You should read the boards more. I have seen estimates of up to 6 million subscribers that Verizon would take from AT&T. We'll see if it will be that high, but that is about a 3rd of AT&T's current iPhone user base. That will hurt.

PS - AT&T sucks in more places than NY and San Fran. Try Phoenix.

I live in Phoenix, too, and yes AT&T sucks here. But, I won't be switching. Especially if I can't do data and voice transmission at the same time. I think people use both simultaneously more than they realize.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Too many variables here to predict how many Verizon IPhones will be sold. One of the main factors will be if multiple-tasking is available on CDMA another will be s

Special pricing plans etc. Hopefully once the guidelines are set .....the Customer WILL Benefit